• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Marconelly said:
Just found out - PS3 version does in fact support dts, in the best EA tradition.

However, it defaults to DD5.1 for whatever silly reason, so to get dts you need to go to PS3 XMB audio settings, disable DD5.1 so that you only have dts selected, and then when you start the game, it plays audio in dts.

Incidentally, same thing goes for LBP. Weird how both games default to DD5.1 when most games that support both, default to dts.

This is so annoying. Sony should set up a Preference system i.e. I want all games to try 1080i first, if not then 720p. Same for audio: try DTS first, if not DD 5.1.

It can't be that difficult to implement, right?

dk_

Rez>You said:
If you're not scared yet then you probably never will be.

Similarly, if you're not enjoying the game yet then you probably never will.

I recommend selling it at a lower price to someone who will enjoy it.
I wasn't scared till the 4-5 chapter. I think the horror becomes more subtle in some parts and that's what creeps me out.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I think one of the reasons that I'm not being scared at all is that so far, every single time the game has tried to do something scary it ALWAYS lets me know in advance that it's coming. For example, one time I walked into a room and picked up an item then heard a monster groaning behind me. So naturally I turn around and it bolts across the open doorway while some "HAHA WE JUST SCARED YOU" music played...but it wasn't scary because the game blew the surprise : /

The reason I'm not giving up on this game is because I really want to like it and see some potential. I'm just waiting for it to get better.

dk_

Ysiadmihi said:
I think one of the reasons that I'm not being scared at all is that so far, every single time the game has tried to do something scary it ALWAYS lets me know in advance that it's coming. For example, one time I walked into a room and picked up an item then heard a monster groaning behind me. So naturally I turn around and it bolts across the open doorway while some "HAHA WE JUST SCARED YOU" music played...but it wasn't scary because the game blew the surprise : /

The reason I'm not giving up on this game is because I really want to like it and see some potential. I'm just waiting for it to get better.
I think it gets better scare-wise so keep playing.

RoH

Ysiadmihi said:
I turned v-sync off in game and enabled it in the nVidia control panel and it still feels sluggish. Good, stable framerate and the mouse still feels weird.

Anyway, I still am not liking this game all that much. I'm just not finding any aspect of the game interesting and I'm definitely disappointed that there hasn't been a scary moment yet (I think I'm near the end of chapter 3).

I love the SciFi theme, its like the Alien and The Thing put together, Love it just love it, I cant get enough right now.
Chapter 1 through 5 I was scared shitless, but since then I received my level 4 suit and maxed out the plasma gun; so i'm not as jumpy.

dk_ said:
I wasn't scared till the 4-5 chapter. I think the horror becomes more subtle in some parts and that's what creeps me out.
Oh great, the first 2 chapters (all I've done so far) have scared the crap out of me so far, whilst being so awesome :lol, I'm only doing one chapter a night then switching to Fable to relax :D I think I'm gonna start again as I missed a lot of schematics according to my friend as I was avoiding any rooms I didn't need to enter, I can't go back to previous areas can I?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Freedom = $1.05 said:
This is so annoying. Sony should set up a Preference system i.e. I want all games to try 1080i first, if not then 720p. Same for audio: try DTS first, if not DD 5.1.

It can't be that difficult to implement, right?
It's annoying, but at least it's there I guess (dts sound I mean). To me it sounds even better and fuller than DD5.1, no idea why they didn't default to it, or even mentioned it on the box (LBP at least mentions it on the box)

This game fucking rocks.

Hilariously a lot of the "jumped out of my damn skin" moments have been where I turn a corner and then one of my crew makes a video call to me. That split second of loud static and then "ISAAC!!!" gets me every damn time.

Bastards are doing that on purpose, I just know it.

eso76

Acid08 said:
So which console is this supposed to look better on?

Same, but i suppose the game sounds better on ps3 though.

i started the game on hard right away (enemies in survival horror should be extremely dangerous to add to the tension) but i'm already having problems halfway through chapter 3.
Was able to cut off alien limbs with surgical precision right from the start, so it's not like i wasted lots of ammo; i don't think i picked up wrong upgrades, but i've only found like 3 nodes so far ?? i'm out of medikits and have my ass handed to me all the time, thinking about restarting...

The ripper is pretty epic. Its secondary fire is pretty much the plasma cutter horizontally, and when you get the duration up its really ammo-efficient. But yeah, theres no way I could not upgrade the cutter, precisely blowing off limbs is amazing.

Lince

Banned
well I finally got the PC version but should wait since these days I'm Far Cry 2 high, I will play it with my wireless 360 pad at 720p 60 fps locked on my HDTV, much better than trophies IMO... and 20 € cheaper, double win.

JRW

Acid08 said:
So which console is this supposed to look better on? I don't want to start a flame war but I'm picking this up tomorrow and would like to know :).

I have both and they're very close but if I had to choose one I'd go with 360's. For some reason 360's audio is louder or more "powerful" sounding, including bass output, (especially when comparing the bass output when closing the upgrade bench and the zero-g sections) I have both consoles connected to my 7.1 receiver via Optical cable and they both display "Dolby D EX" on my receiver. Both are set with the same volume levels using the in-game adjustments.

When comparing I played through chapter 1 on both versions and I noticed a couple areas of slowdown on PS3's that doesn't occur on 360s. for example when you get to the maintenance room (where the first upgrade bench is found) when inside the room there is slowdown / choppiness while facing the window.

Saving games is a little quicker on 360, when you find a save station it opens a window real quick showing a list of your saves, once you save the window automatically closes, on PS3 when saving it goes to the XMB which is a little slower, then you press O to get back in the game after saving.

360's overall contrast output is brighter in dead space, in fact its so bright it tends to cause white crush on the in game brightness calibration screen (The last 3 - 4 bars are almost the same brightness) however during gameplay this extra contrast tends to look more impressive especially considering its such a dark game, Sparks / lights etc. while walking down a dark hallway tend to stand out and looks more impressive.

Mantorok

I've been watching quite a few clips of this game for a while now, would anyone say it is worth buying a 360 for? Considering they are down to £129.99 for the Arcade?

Mantorok said:
I've been watching quite a few clips of this game for a while now, would anyone say it is worth buying a 360 for? Considering they are down to £129.99 for the Arcade?

IMO, it's a game that one way or another you shouldn't miss.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
h3ro said:
Does either version have DTS support?
Yes, PS3 version has it, but it's not very obvious that it's there. I posted about it two pages ago:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13379263&postcount=3707

JRW said:
For some reason 360's audio is louder or more "powerful" sounding, including bass output, (especially when comparing the bass output when closing the upgrade bench and the zero-g sections) I have both consoles connected to my 7.1 receiver via Optical cable and they both display "Dolby D EX" on my receiver. Both are set with the same volume levels using the in-game adjustments.
You should definitely try using dts on PS3 version. I wonder if there are any more 'hidden' audio options when using HDMI for audio.

RoH

Lince said:
well I finally got the PC version but should wait since these days I'm Far Cry 2 high, I will play it with my wireless 360 pad at 720p 60 fps locked on my HDTV, much better than trophies IMO... and 20 € cheaper, double win.

I have been playing most of my PC games in 720 but I noticed I can play in 1080 with out taking a hit, is that normal on a 4850?

KrawlMan

RoH said:
I have been playing most of my PC games in 720 but I noticed I can play in 1080 with out taking a hit, is that normal on a 4850?

The 4850 is awesome. Id say thats normal. I play all of my games at 1680x1050 using a 4850.

Egg Shen

Seiken said:
No, one run is impossible to get Epic Tier 3 Engineer. I got it on one run and 6 chapters in new game plus.

Peng is
just below the ship you're about the enter near the end of chapter 11. EDIT: Where that dude gets killed.
Actually, you can see it in Chapter 1, as soon as you step off of the shuttle and look down into the dip on the left. It's down there, but because you don't have kinesis yet, it won't be until Chapter 11 that you can get it. Sneaky bastids. ;)

Haunted said:
So after a selling spree and subsequently pouring 7 or 8 nodes into the Cutter just now, I renamed it from Plasma Cutter into the God Cutter.

Ridiculously good.
I love the Cutter. At one point, I used it to pre-emptively de-limb corpses because I was so paranoid about them getting back up.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Egg Shen said:
Actually, you can see it in Chapter 1, as soon as you step off of the shuttle and look down into the dip on the left. It's down there, but because you don't have kinesis yet, it won't be until Chapter 11 that you can get it. Sneaky bastids. ;)
Ooooh :lol :lol

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Egg Shen said:
I love the Cutter. At one point, I used it to pre-emptively de-limb corpses because I was so paranoid about them getting back up.
:lol I did that with the ripper...Mainly because I could completely dismember 2-3 corpses with one shot. A great strategy to use on
crew member corpses...You know just in case there's one of those changeling things nearby.

Rlan

I sold back my ripper and blast because I found them kind of useless. I desperately needed more ammo for the main weapon as well.

Finished Chapter 9 now.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i've only used the plasma cutter and the plasma rifle. i've got them nearly fully upgraded in chapter 7, with a few upgrades on my level 3 rig. i figured focusing on a couple of weapons my first time through and really giving those the deluxe job would make me feel more powerful and my power less dispersed, and give me more reasons to do multiple playthroughs.

So... did I miss a weapon in the game or what?

I never got the Full Arsenal trophy in my first (and only, so far) playthrough. I thought I would come across a BFG-like weapon near the end of the game but that never happened... instead I'm trophy-less.

What's the deal?

I got the Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, Force Gun, Pulse Rifle, Ripper, Contact Beam, and Flamethrower.
Is there a certain way to get the trophy or what? :\

Drek

dk_ said:
I concentrated on upgrading my suit in terms of hp and ignored the air bubbles. That's good, GAF, isn't it? Also spent a couple of nodes on the Plasma Cutter und Line Gun.
I put a single node in air early on. The game is designed so you can probably get through without air tanks or boosting your rig's air, but that extra 20 seconds makes life a lot more comfortable.

Also, as for upping your rig's health, ONLY upgrade when you need healing. Upgrading your hit points also refills your health bar, so use it to save on healing items.

You can never go wrong spending points on the Plasma Cutter, but keep in mind that capacity upgrades do the same thing as a health upgrade, they give you a fully loaded gun even if you have zero in it at the time.

I know I already mentioned this, but its worth repeating for anyone doing a hard or impossible run.

TheHeretic said:
The ripper is pretty epic. Its secondary fire is pretty much the plasma cutter horizontally, and when you get the duration up its really ammo-efficient. But yeah, theres no way I could not upgrade the cutter, precisely blowing off limbs is amazing.
The only big drawback to the Ripper's secondary fire is that the blades don't reach their destination as fast as a shot from the Plasma Cutter. They're more like Line Gun speed which isn't bad, but for some boss fights (like the chapter 6 one and the end game) it hard to lead your targets far enough to land Ripper shots.

The concept of having you play an engineer fighting monsters who only die by delimbing them and therefore giving you what amounts to futuristic power tools was pretty ingenious.

Another little tip for all the newcomers to the game: I personally view every monster in the game as walking loot I haven't claimed yet. The goal is to kill it for less than what it'll drop. Most enemies will drop at least an ammo pack, so if I can kill them using less than what an ammo pack entails (6 plasma cutter rounds, 4 ripper blades, etc.) then it is a net positive income. That to me is the core mindset of making bank in the game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Revolutionary said:

I never got the Full Arsenal trophy in my first (and only, so far) playthrough. I thought I would come across a BFG-like weapon near the end of the game but that never happened... instead I'm trophy-less.

What's the deal?

I got the Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, Force Gun, Plasma Rifle, Ripper, Contact Beam, and Flamethrower.
You're missing out the Pulse Rifle.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Revolutionary said:

What's the deal?

I got the Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, Force Gun, Pulse Rifle, Ripper, Contact Beam, and Flamethrower.
Did you sell any of them back before buying all? I'm pretty sure you have to own all of them at the same time. I got my achievement as soon as I purchased my last weapon.

Dyno

Finished the game and with Fable II sitting there waiting to be played I said "not yet" and started up Dead Space again on a harder difficulty.

Really great game. Better in fact than most - if not all - the games that people are comparing it to.

Jive Turkey said:
Did you sell any of them back before buying all? I'm pretty sure you have to own all of them at the same time. I got my achievement as soon as I purchased my last weapon.
Hmm... yeah, I sold the Pulse Rifle, but bought it again shortly after (was running low on ammo for the Leviathan so I had to sell what I could)...
I guess I have to buy them all to get the trophy and THEN I could sell what I don't need.
Blah...

I guess I'll do that trophy on my Impossible run.
Thanks!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Revolutionary said:
Hmm... yeah, I sold the Pulse Rifle, but bought it again shortly after (was running low on ammo for the Leviathan so I had to sell what I could)...
I guess I have to buy them all to get the trophy and THEN I could sell what I don't need.
Blah...

I guess I'll do that trophy on my Impossible run.
Thanks!
I personally wouldn't sell any weapons. The drop rate on ammo is heavily in favor of the weapons you are carrying. If you have too much Pulse Rifle ammo just shelve it for a little while.

And the Pulse Rifle is a great weapon to use on Leviathan.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just got Don't Get Cocky, Kid on my second run. I got lucky: lots of slow moving asteroids. Took me a few retries though, I suck at that segment.

Plasma cutter only run on new game + is a breeze

TheExodu5

Banned
Mantorok said:

I'm sure there are enough games on the 360 to warrant a purchase anyways. I know I'm picking mine up come my tax return in April for Vesperia and SO4. =D

MNC

Oh my. Just got the game.

Early on in the game the atmosphere has already been set, very eery. Kendra's cute :3

Also, what I noticed the most is that the game looks great visually, and I don't take a hit on performance whatsoever! I can run it high between 30-60fps with this rig:

P4 2,6HT
1,5GB RAM
7600GT

And the loading of a previous game goes so fast! This game is optimized to hell and back, wouldn't you say? Anyway, I'm enjoying it lots! :D

Chiggs

Gold Member
I think the scariest thing in this whole game was
Dr. Mercer's pet
. I hate having to deal with enemies like that, and the
second encounter with him in that puzzle room was pretty intense

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Chiggs said:
I think the scariest thing in this whole game was
Dr. Mercer's pet
. I hate having to deal with enemies like that, and the
second encounter with him in that puzzle room was pretty intense
Agreed.

any help with chapter 6
I empty all my ammo into this thing and still it doesnt die, how exactly do you kill it? He just shoots his monster balls non stop to no end lmao

GuessWho

GhostRidah said:
any help with chapter 6
I empty all my ammo into this thing and still it doesnt die, how exactly do you kill it? He just shoots his monster balls non stop to no end lmao

cut the limbs that are stuck on the wall, there's like 5 of them.

Top Bottom