• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Zeliard

Chiggs said:
I think the scariest thing in this whole game was
Dr. Mercer's pet
. I hate having to deal with enemies like that, and the
second encounter with him in that puzzle room was pretty intense

To be honest, the game didn't particularly scare me (though I can appreciate that it did to some people), but I loved fighting that guy. So fucking tense.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I thought the scariest moment was the
necro that forced itself through the elevator doors in the beginning.
. I just didn't see it coming. The game tricked me into feeling safe

There's also a necro that
spawns next to you, right after you're done upgrading your stuff at a bench somewhere.
Also a jumpy moment

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
GhostRidah said:
boss, I did cut down his tentacles, did it twie, now its just him shooting his balls

Notice that he takes breaks in between spitting. When he's about to start again, stasis him and let loose at the core. Use the contact beam if you have it, or any strong weapon. Or just let loose with the cutter on that center. He's bound to go down soon

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
GuessWho said:
actually the scariest part of the game is
the ending.
Hardly. That was the most predictable jump scare in the entire game...Ripped straight from any number of cheesy horror movies. Might as well have added the classic Ballyhoo
THE END?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Darunia said:
There's also a necro that
spawns next to you, right after you're done upgrading your stuff at a bench somewhere.
Also a jumpy moment

Yeah, that's in the
asteroid level
So cheap, but I love it.

MNC said:
Oh my. Just got the game.

Early on in the game the atmosphere has already been set, very eery. Kendra's cute :3

Also, what I noticed the most is that the game looks great visually, and I don't take a hit on performance whatsoever! I can run it high between 30-60fps with this rig:

P4 2,6HT
1,5GB RAM
7600GT

And the loading of a previous game goes so fast! This game is optimized to hell and back, wouldn't you say? Anyway, I'm enjoying it lots! :D

What res?

Zeliard

Darunia said:
Notice that he takes breaks in between spitting. When he's about to start again, stasis him and let loose at the core. Use the contact beam if you have it, or any strong weapon. Or just let loose with the cutter on that center. He's bound to go down soon

Another thing you can do, especially if you have little or no ammo, is to
use kinesis to grab those rocks he throws at you and toss them back at his mouth

maxax

Chiggs said:
I think the scariest thing in this whole game was
Dr. Mercer's pet
. I hate having to deal with enemies like that, and the
second encounter with him in that puzzle room was pretty intense
I don't know if it's supposed to be like that, but in the puzzle room, I somehow blocked my exit path and had to move the beds around again to run away, all while he was chasing me. That was a pretty intense moment.

Zeliard said:
To be honest, the game didn't particularly scare me (though I can appreciate that it did to some people), but I loved fighting that guy. So fucking tense.
The game is definitely more tense than scary/disturbing I'd say...

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
GhostRidah said:
boss, I did cut down his tentacles, did it twie, now its just him shooting his balls
Don't listen to Darunia's advice.

Instead:
Notice he shoots 5 projectiles? Stand still...Grab the first shot with kinesis and use it as a shield. The second shot will hit it. Grab the third. Repeat. Grab the fifth and launch it at the core.

Chiggs

Gold Member
maxax said:
I don't know if it's supposed to be like that, but in the puzzle room, I somehow blocked my exit path and had to move the beds around again to run away, all while he was chasing me. That was a pretty intense moment.

Yup, that's what happens. It was sort of funny to
block his pursuit path, and then take pot shots at him through the cracks.

Drek

GhostRidah said:
There should be ample fuel tanks in the room with the Leviathan, and they're a big help.

Use the plasma cutter or pulse rifle to destroy the limbs, you can avoid their attacks very easily, whenever it is about to swing you just zero G jump to the opposite side of the room, he'll sweep the walls while you're still in the air.

Once the limbs are destroyed he'll start shooting his projectiles at you. All you've got to do then is pick up fuel cans, strafe to the right or left as he shoots projectiles at you, and as soon as he stops launch the can down at the nodule in the center of it's mouth. If I recall its four projectiles, then a pause.

You probably won't be able to kill him before he respawns his tentacles, but then you just repeat the process. There is also a good chance you will run out of fuel tanks before it is dead. In that case just start shooting the nodule in it's mouth with whatever gun you have does maximum damage in a short burst but that can actually reach the mouth before it closes. The Contact Beam is ideal as you can charge it while strafing, then unleash the blast as soon as it pauses. Other than that I'd go pulse rifle or plasma cutter, and just drain a clip as soon as it pauses up.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Jive Turkey said:
Don't listen to Darunia's advice.

Instead:
Notice he shoots 5 projectiles? Stand still...Grab the first shot with keniesis and use it as a shield. The second shot will hit it. Grab the third. Repeat. Grap the fifth and launch it at the core.

Yeah you could do that, but I got hit all the time trying to use the pods. I did it once for the achievement, but just regular weapons and fuel cans worked better for me

Facism

i love how the sound is engineered in such a way as to make everything seem and feel uncomfortable.

Even Isaac's breathing is pretty uncomfortable.

Completed it last night, started again earlier. The story isn't anywhere near the best, but the setting and atmosphere are extremely well done. Combat is satisfying and crunchy. The weapons sound and work brilliantly. The game is like fucking a steak. Possible contender for my GOTY now.

Can't touch R2 beta now because of how wimpy and shytey the weapon sounds are.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Facism said:
i love how the sound is engineered in such a way as to make everything seem and feel uncomfortable.

Zero G + Plasma Rifle = Holy ****ing shit @ the sound

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Darunia said:
Yeah you could do that, but I got hit all the time trying to use the pods. I did it once for the achievement, but just regular weapons and fuel cans worked better for me
You shouldn't get hit at all if you do it the way I suggested. The hardest part about that fight for me was figuring out how to dodge the tentacles...

I kept thinking "If I could only jump!!!" I only figured it out as I'm literally running around the room. :(

Has anyone fully upgraded the flame thrower? Does it significantly improve the damage? It's my last resort right now, which is a shame. but I haven't dropped any nodes in it yet.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Facism said:
I had the same experience with Mass Effect last night. Damn that game is beautiful on my computer screen, but the combat just felt so neutered that I lost interest quickly.

maxax

gregor7777 said:
Has anyone fully upgraded the flame thrower? Does it significantly improve the damage? It's my last resort right now, which is a shame. but I haven't dropped any nodes in it yet.
I did to test it once, and it's still WAY weaker than anything else. Simply not worth it. If you have enough nodes to upgrade something to the max, go with Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle or Line Gun.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah, if you want the flamethrower trophy, simply shoot off like 2 limbs then finish him off with the flamethrower. It sucks.

Stayed up till 2am last night finishing off the last few chapters. Amazing game. To any EA Redwood folks reading this, thanks, this is one of those titles that reminds me why I love gaming.

Zeliard

maxax said:
I did to test it once, and it's still WAY weaker than anything else. Simply not worth it. If you have enough nodes to upgrade something to the max, go with Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle or Line Gun.

I don't think the Force Gun gets enough love. That gun saved my ass quite a few times in the last few chapters on Hard. Its secondary fire, the force grenade thing, is also very useful as a long-range attack (especially since there are so many corridors).

I don't think anything beats the Line Gun, though. In a game about dismembering, it has probably the most useful primary fire, and its secondary fire is amazingly effective when attacking groups especially when you combine it with stasis.

Seiken said:
Yeah, if you want the flamethrower trophy, simply shoot off like 2 limbs then finish him off with the flamethrower. It sucks.

Yeah, it's not for achievements or anything I just think flamethrowers are cool. Too bad it's the worst of the bunch.

Yoshichan

Zeliard said:
I don't think anything beats the Line Gun, though. In a game about dismembering, it has probably the most useful primary fire, and its secondary fire is amazingly effective when attacking groups especially when you combine it with stasis.
I still think the Plasma Cutter upgraded to max is the best weapon. It made me go through impossible without a problem. Once you screw up one shot with the Line Cutter, you're pretty much dead if they're close.

maxax

Zeliard said:
I don't think the Force Gun gets enough love. That gun saved my ass quite a few times in the last few chapters on Hard. Its secondary fire, the force grenade thing, is also very useful as a long-range attack (especially since there are so many corridors).

I used the Force Gun throughout the game as well. Stasis and some close range blasts takes care of anything, especially Lurker seem to go down very quickly with it.

Zeliard

Seiken said:
I still think the Plasma Cutter upgraded to max is the best weapon. It made me go through impossible without a problem. Once you screw up one shot with the Line Cutter, you're pretty much dead if they're close.

It's much easier to miss with the plasma cutter though, since the line cutter throws out an horizontal laser (that you can lengthen the width of quite a bit) while the plasma cutter shoots out three disconnected laser shots. Even if you do miss with the line gun, it shoots pretty quickly. I've never had issue with it. If they end up very close and it's too late to properly target their legs, one shot with the line gun through the midsection if powered up enough will often take them out.

Nose Master

Is the plasma rifle worth upgrading? It seems like I have to spray the shit out of limbs to take them off, even when firing in well targeted, close range bursts.

Also, during
the fight with Leviathan
(chapter 7?)
, were you supposed to catch the balls he spits out and knock them back into the mouth? Cause it took foooorrrreeeevvvveeerrrrr to kill that thing with the line gun. Granted I didn't have any upgrades in it...

I apologize for asking again but how can I change my suit back to the original (using free DLC). I go to the store, and my only option is the DLC suit and some lvl 2 suit and when I click on it it says already in Inventory.

Flambe

20081027.jpg

Going for PC with headphones for this might have been the worst decision of my life, 10 minutes in and I've almost had multiple heart attacks. The ambiance is fantastic.

Runs very smoothly as well! Despite my sort of shitty specs:

7900GTX
AMD 5000+
2GB RAM

Goes without a hitch in 1280x1024 and all highs, even got some forced AA in there (not sure if it really does anything though).

Excellent port.

KurowaSan

Lion Heart said:
I apologize for asking again but how can I change my suit back to the original (using free DLC). I go to the store, and my only option is the DLC suit and some lvl 2 suit and when I click on it it says already in Inventory.

you can't. Once you equip any DLC suit in the in-game store, you won't be able to go back to the lv-2 one.

I'm late to the party but I'm now midway through Chapter 4 and damn is Dead Space good. I was expecting it to be above average, but it's damn near AAA landing just a notch below the BioShocks and RE4s of the world so far for me. But damn did they get close as they have completely nailed the core mechanics and the setting. I'm actively choosing to play this over Fable 2, which says a whole lot for the game.

Most graphically beautiful moment in the game for me so far:

In the room where you have to push the boulders back out into space [Chap 6]. I sat and drooled for a few minutes before continuing with the carnage.

elguerosinfe said:
Most graphically beautiful moment in the game for me so far:

In the room where you have to push the boulders back out into space [Chap 6]. I sat and drooled for a few minutes before continuing with the carnage.

oh nice.. i allready had some moments of droolness, but i've only just started on chapter 5

EekTheKat

I think my PS3 is going to explode from the sheer number of saves I have during my first playthrough. I'm only on chapter 8 and I have 46 save points already :lol

This is not counting the saves I overwrote too.

Zeliard

Having multiple saves is not a bad idea. It's possible to get stuck Ninja Gaiden-style and be up against some boss or a tough set of enemies with few ammo and health packs, etc, and not really anything to sell to the store. If you manage everything well enough, that shouldn't happen, but it definitely is possible and would have happened to me had I not some things to sell.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Danne-Danger said:
Goes without a hitch in 1280x1024 and all highs, even got some forced AA in there (not sure if it really does anything though).

Excellent port.
I am convinced that it does nothing.

BeeDog

Got my copy today, and played for a bit (still in Chapter 1 right after you retrieve the module from the locked room). Damn this shit's looking good, can't play at the moment but I'm playing the waiting game. :D

Saya

Finished the game today on medium. Overall I loved it. I thought all the levels felt exactly right. They are not too long or too short, but just perfect. I did a Plasma Cutter only run for my first playthrough and I have to say that it wasn't hard at all. I expected it to be a bit more difficult.

I'm doing my second run now (new game+) and I'm having a blast with all the weapons and the level 6 suit looks amazing.

Zeliard said:
Having multiple saves is not a bad idea. It's possible to get stuck Ninja Gaiden-style and be up against some boss or a tough set of enemies with few ammo and health packs, etc, and not really anything to sell to the store. If you manage everything well enough, that shouldn't happen, but it definitely is possible and would have happened to me had I not some things to sell.

Yes, this can happen if you aren't careful. I got stuck on the medical/science level in a room between
Mercer's Pet (wasted too much ammo before I realized it wasn't dying) and one of those Wall Cocooned humans that spits out tentacle turrets.

Then I found out that you could 'shoot' things you picked up with kinesis and it was all good.

digital

Banned
Do I have to be connected to the internet and signed into my PSN profile to unlock trophies?
I'm on the my first run through the game going for the One Gun trophy and as I've been playing I've been noticing that I haven't been receiving trophies for the chapters I've been completing.

RoH

K.Jack said:
I am convinced that it does nothing.

Word from the EA Dead Space support forum agrees with you, it also has some bad bugs that can cause you to crash; the only bug I have experienced with Vista 64 are the mouse lag caused by 30fps frame lock and the settings bug that causes the game to fail to boot.

Top Bottom