• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

So, this is probably the only game I wish was slightly shorter. Only reason though is Fallout 3 and LBP tomorrow (for me atleast, I am the fail and pre-ordered at Bestbuy...)

I am nearing completion of chapter 8. I do not believe I will finish in time before I am buried with those other games, I don't get enough time to play it as it is.

Stupid Mid-terms...

Endgame question...

After Mercer sends you his last transmission, where the Manta Ray (obviously not the actual name) necromorph is about to transform him... he doesn't show up later, does he? That is, unless I missed him somehow (maybe he was just a generic monster?).

Big-E

Revolutionary said:
Endgame question...

After Mercer sends you his last transmission, where the Manta Ray (obviously not the actual name) necromorph is about to transform him... he doesn't show up later, does he? That is, unless I missed him somehow (maybe he was just a generic monster?).

He is on the second floor of that lobby area. Your run into him shortly after the vid.

MNC said:
Ahh yes, 1024x768, which is my native res. An old monitor. For me it's quite optimized. :D

Thought something was a little fishy there. That would have been a hell of a treat if the game ran on high at a decent res with that hardware.

demigod

How come I can't open some of the lockers, is it because I'm playing it on hard or will it somehow unlock after a while?

Des0lar

will learn eventually
demigod said:
How come I can't open some of the lockers, is it because I'm playing it on hard or will it somehow unlock after a while?

I think they are simply locked :p
They are called lockers for a reason :lol

raYne

Got up to Chapter 7 earlier and I'm still lovin git so far. Loved the
Leviathan
fight. <3

demigod said:
Twa? You can only unlock the white lighted ones. I don't think you're supposed to be able to ever open the red ones.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
raYne said:
Got up to Chapter 7 earlier and I'm still lovin git so far. Loved the
Leviathan
fight. <3

Twa? You can only unlock the white lighted ones. I don't think you're supposed to be able to ever open the red ones.

The red ones turn white when you do return trips through areas.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Darunia said:
Can anyone who's playing on pc take a screencap of the opening shot (ship heading to the Ishimura)? I'd like to use that as a wallpaper.
If you need something different, just let me know.

Beat the game yesterday after a fun session playing thru the final 3 chapters. The most satisfying part was
figuring out how to kill the regenerating necromorph by firing off the boosters of the shuttle
. Can't wait to play it again, although a few parts I am not looking forward to again
asteroids, that first regenerator room mentioned a few posts ago and a couple of other frustrating points
Still, best game I've played in a while.

klownboots said:
So, this is probably the only game I wish was slightly shorter. Only reason though is Fallout 3 and LBP tomorrow (for me atleast, I am the fail and pre-ordered at Bestbuy...)

I am nearing completion of chapter 8. I do not believe I will finish in time before I am buried with those other games, I don't get enough time to play it as it is.

Stupid Mid-terms...

The time between chapter 8 and the end of the game was a blur of bliss that you will not notice. I did it within 2 days.

I just finished... surprisingly, I
beat the last boss without dying. That's never really happened in a game like this, but I did have a ton of contact energy. Instead of popping Fable 2 in, I started a new game just to see the military suit. It was nice not running at the beginning, but calmly picking off each necromorph as they appeared. The second play through really highlights the level of detail they were able to put in there to misdirect your anxiety.

My GOTY (thus far). Then again, I'm a huge science fiction nerd. I enjoyed the experience more than Bioshock, and I freaking loved Bioshock. Anyone on the fence should sacrifice their most anticipated game they haven't gotten yet in favor of the Dead Space experience.

Finished Impossible for the first time. The waves of enemies that come after you on the last level during the first (and largest)
gateway/track section pulling the Marker
was borderline infuriating, but managed through it.

Quickly started another game to check out the level 6 suit and enjoy a significantly less impossible Impossible mode with my amped up carryover gear. Will shelve it for now with the Maxed all upgrades and some "shoot 30x with weapon" achievements left for a later runthrough.

Overall, very impressed and this has obviously been a surprise favorite for me. :D

I just finished it an hour ago. I'm somewhere in between the gushers and the disappointed. Definitely a good game but I think it falls a little short of being a truly great title.

There were a couple of made-me-jump moments but the majority of them are set up so badly and can be anticipated easily. It would have benefited from some editing in the development process I think. After a while, I thought that some of the levels and action were repetitive and just wanted to run through the game to get to the end. And the map, don't get me started on the map. I didn't get used to the map until Chapter 8 or 9.

Extremely good-looking game though--the art direction and level of polish was incredible. LOVE the final boss and several of the set pieces literally made me stare in amazement. Excellent sound as well. There were a few moments where I was frustrated or annoyed but overall the action is solid. I explored the hell out of all of the levels but still played it like a shooter.

I'm trading it in tomorrow but I encourage everyone to at least give it a try. Rent it if you're broke, buy it if you've got the cash because it's worth at least one playthrough.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I just remembered: when I beat the game it said backstory logs were unlocked. Where can I read these? I checked the log section, but only the chapter and training logs pop up.

Atrus

Gold Member
Darunia said:
I just remembered: when I beat the game it said backstory logs were unlocked. Where can I read these? I checked the log section, but only the chapter and training logs pop up.

When you play a new game plus, those logs will be under chapter 12's logs. Details behind the Ishimura, Unitology etc.

Darunia said:

As said just above, there will be several new logs under the Chapter 12 db. Some good stuff especially one detailing Isaac's bio and the last lengthy log called
The Red Marker

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
just started this last night. looks, sounds and plays fantastic. it's unbelievably tense, to the point where it's almost tiring to play for long periods - i felt drained by the end of my first session (about 2.5 hours). i found myself waiting in a room post-encounter to admire the graphics (until i realised it was because i was too shit scared to move into the next room) :p

im having a great time. thanks for this thread, i had no idea about this game and bought it after reading impressions here. back to it tonight!

Atrus

Gold Member
How are you supposed to actually
beat the tentacles in chapter 12 when you're lugging around the marker
?

When I did it I just Kinesis shot the thing a bit from the front and ran down all the way down the track, turned around and pulled it towards me via Kinesis. Was there a more sensible way? It seemed like I got weighed down by an infinite number of enemies while trying to figure out how to cross the bridge, so all I did instead was to try and run down there before things got out of hand too much.

Made it through some of Chapter 10 and found a good stopping point. I'm highly confident I'll have this one wrapped up sometime this week. And it's on good time considering all the good stuff that is soon to be released, and I'm itching to really dig into LBP. I seriously adore this game, in fact it's one of my favorites of 2008, but I am definitely ready to finish it. And goddamn at
Hammond's death
. I almost couldn't watch once the
Brute
got a hold of him. Pretty brutal stuff.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BuckRobotron said:
As said just above, there will be several new logs under the Chapter 12 db. Some good stuff especially one detailing Isaac's bio and the last lengthy log called
The Red Marker

Personally I found the one detailing the recombination process far more disturbing

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
gregor7777 said:
This game hits on so many levels for me. As someone who treats Alien and Aliens with near religious reverence, and thinks Doom 3 is genuinely scary, this is easily my GOTY so far.

I'm going to do a full impressions once I finish it, but man, I just can't get over how much I'm enjoying this title.

same for me, the dirty industrial style futuristic environments remind me of Aliens. and that's always gonna be a great thing.. all that's missing is a motion tracker!

speaking of which, i really REALLY hope that Aliens : Colonial Marines lives up to its promise.

Finally got a chance to start playing through this. Made it up to the beginning of chapter 3, and I've been loving it so far.

Bioshock + Event Horizon = Dead Space badassery

I also decided to play my first play through on hard. What's the word on hard later on in the game? I like a challenge, just hope it doesn't get cheap like COD4 on Veteran.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
MyEpitomeCliché said:
And goddamn at
Hammond's death
Brute
Is there some way to miss this? I was wondering whatever happened to him.

Zeliard

Jive Turkey said:
Is there some way to miss this? I was wondering whatever happened to him.

You can't possibly miss it. It happens right before you have to fight that same brute, who's like a Super Brute.

RavenFox

Banned
MyEpitomeCliché said:
Made it through some of Chapter 10 and found a good stopping point. I'm highly confident I'll have this one wrapped up sometime this week. And it's on good time considering all the good stuff that is soon to be released, and I'm itching to really dig into LBP. I seriously adore this game, in fact it's one of my favorites of 2008, but I am definitely ready to finish it. And goddamn at
Hammond's death
Brute
Yeah man I wasn't expecting that. pretty brutal to watch.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Zeliard said:
You can't possibly miss it. It happens right before you have to fight that same brute, who's like a Super Brute.
Is there any way this could have happened behind a wall or at the far end of a room I was slowly navigating? I really don't remember any of that. :(

Wark

Well, the game made me notice that there is more than one stanza in the "Twinkle Twinkle" nursery rhyme. Am I the only person that didn't have previous knowledge of that? ARE YOU TELLING ME I'VE BEEN LIVING A LIE MY ENTIRE LIFE!?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Finally got the chance to try this out. WOW. They did a phenomenal job with the sound design. It's brilliant.

Resident Evil 4 Pro-mode helped train me to deal with the assholes in this game. I'm use to shooting at the legs and arms of the ganado, and then knifing them to death. So, at the moment, all of the enemies can kiss my engineer ass. Lolz.

I have a dislike for monster closets, but, they sorta did a good job handling them with the whole vent situation. That being said, some of the positions the enemies have spawned have been a bit silly. If I walked through an area, and you all are stalking me...why would you just walk out into the open to lay down on the ground, when I just cleared that area two seconds ago. :/ Getting use to the lack of no quick turn around is going to take some time.

Question. Do limbs come off depending on the specific pixel in which you hit them? Or is it just one shot to the arm, two to the leg?

I jumped once when someone flew out of a vent into me. The second time I got annoyed because it hit me and took life off...

Hope I get to play some more soon. School probably dictates otherwise, but, I'm definitely buying it asap.

Big-E

ILOVEASIANS said:
Finally got a chance to start playing through this. Made it up to the beginning of chapter 3, and I've been loving it so far.

Bioshock + Event Horizon = Dead Space badassery

I also decided to play my first play through on hard. What's the word on hard later on in the game? I like a challenge, just hope it doesn't get cheap like COD4 on Veteran.

I felt the game got a little easier because I did not have to worry about ammo any more due to my saving of money. I ended the game with tons of ammo and around 150k in credits. Game is still hard though even with the ammo because the game throws a lot at you in the later chapters.

Costanza

Banned
Dead Space: Downfall is out on DVD/Blu-ray today. I ordered the BR from Amazon b/c it was only $19.95

really need to get back into the game too. I only finished up to chapter 5 when Fable 2 and LBP sidetracked me :lol

gray_fox224

Is this a native 720 p? I was running it in 1080p on my set it it looked really bad. 720p looks much better. Is this normal for games?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Tokubetsu said:
How many suit upgrades total?
5. 6 after you beat the game once.

Wark

Tokubetsu said:
How many suit upgrades total?

Well there are
six different suits you can buy in the game's store (level 1-6). The level 6 suit (military suit) can be purchased after you beat the game though.

There is also the exclusive downloadable suit -- Elite on 360 and Obsidian on PS3; both free for the first two weeks. Also, the preorder "exclusive" scorpion suit (200 points on 360, and $2.99 on PSN).

I would actually just download the free exclusive suit and stick with that for the whole game.

Tokubetsu

Wark said:
Well there are
six different suits you can buy in the game's store (level 1-6). The level 6 suit (military suit) can be purchased after you beat the game though.

There is also the exclusive downloadable suit -- Elite on 360 and Obsidian on PS3; both free for the first two weeks. Also, the preorder "exclusive" scorpion suit (200 points on 360, and $2.99 on PSN).

I would actually just download the free exclusive suit and stick with that for the whole game.

Thought about it but I really only like Isaac's standard suit. It's kinda lame looking at first but I'm really digging it after just applying the level 3 upgrade.

Guys, what the hell is a "marker" as it pertains to the game? I didn't understand the plot. Blame my little SD tv, that I couldn't read the text logs.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Oh, I love Isaac's suit. It and his design is unique as hell.

I thought the coat system was done okay in Alone in the dark. The integration between hud and suit in this is fucking great. And, even though I kinda feel the hardcore gamer die in me a bit whenever I use it...breadcrumbs is a great addition. lol

I liked the movie way more than I thought I was going to. I wish there was like a mini-game where you got to play as Ripl...er...the main lady of the movie.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just got into chapter 3,
OMG fixing the Centrifuge was such an impressive experience. Once I had reactivated it and the floor opened up, even my dad was like,"Damn!" Then I got killed by the rotating arm at least five times, before I figured out that I was running in the wrong direction.

I'm 100% convinced that this game was originally tagged System Shock 3, but they changed the name before it went public. Man this game is just.... wow.

One thing that's bothering me is that Isaac's shadow has disappeared. If I load up a Chapter 2 save, it's there, but the shadow ceased to exist once Ch.3 started.

Bildi

vas_a_morir said:
Guys, what the hell is a "marker" as it pertains to the game? I didn't understand the plot. Blame my little SD tv, that I couldn't read the text logs.
The marker is an artifact they found on the planet, and things started going bad once they found it. It's been transported on board Ishimura. You can watch the animated comics that preceded the game's release which are all about finding the marker and using as much profanity as possible.

Top Bottom