• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Egg Shen

Chorazin said:
According to the comic book series:

The marker is found on the colony, and a group of religious zealots think it's the item that will prove they are correct in their beliefs. Sadly, hardcore beleivers in this religion are the ones running the show, so when people start acting messed up, no action is taken and people start turning into Necromorphs when they die. This leads to the colony being wiped out, and then the game starts...
True, and that also makes more sense
when you also learn that the Unitologists had been trying to find the Marker all of their lives in the last two hundred years of the religion's history and believed that the one on Aegis was the "real" deal which, for everything that it did, might as well have been. Everything happened as you and the comics described...the Unitologists were convinced that this was meant to be, that, as Mercer would continue to posit, it was all a part of "God's Plan". Hence, why certain people chose to ignore what was happening on the surface and do nothing for the colonists.

Kendra had explained that the military hoped no one would discover this particular planet being so far away from civilized space, but the CEC had stumbled on it and began work on cracking the planet without knowing its secret history. There are a lot of juicy threads that the backstory can go into with a sequel which also has me excited to see what they come up with next.

MNC

Jax said:
Deadspace made me so ill with motionsickness that I threw up. No joke. This is really weird, I wonder if its the framerate because its not a FPS.
I think it's the FOV. I expected to have my view way more away from Isaac, and I got a bit disoriented at first too. I've yet to expect real motion sickness in a game though.

raYne

So any reason to keep the Peng once you find it? I just grabbed it (lucked out and spotted it flashing in the corner of my eye :lol) and I'm considering selling it at the store.

I don't need the credits, but it's taking up space in my inventory.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
raYne said:
So any reason to keep the Peng once you find it? I just grabbed it (lucked out and spotted it flashing in the corner of my eye :lol) and I'm considering selling it at the store.

I don't need the credits, but it's taking up space in my inventory.

It's only an easter egg, sell it.

I started on impossible after my cutter only run. Read about this exploit that allowed you to play with the military suit on impossible from the bat, but the instructions that were supposed to make it work are bogus. Will continue that third playthrough some other time, other games are calling.

shpankey

not an idiot
EDIT: I meant Condemed 2 [below] not CO.

is the motion sickness stuff as bad as 'Condemned 2'??

I think it is the bob and sway of the character, plus the laggy sluggish movements, but Condemned: Criminal Origins is the worst game ever, EVER for causing motion sickness. I get it almost instantly and puke within minutes.

i don't want to get this game if it's anywhere near as bad as that piece of shit game.

any kind of game that has a small delay in movement will cause it for a lot of people.

bob and sway will also cause it.

a narrow field of view can sometimes cause it and certainly can make it worse.

but laggy movement is the #1 cause. sluggish controls suck ass, i don't care how "realistic" they are. another game that has this issue is Chronicles of Riddick.

shpankey said:
is the motion sickness stuff as bad as 'Condemned: Criminal Origins'?
Condemned made me queasy, but Dead Space has been fine so far. A couple of the zero-G sections will get you turned around, but that's about it. That's been my experience.

K0NY

plagiarize said:
PC GAMERS

disable vsync in the game, enable vsync in your graphics card drivers. you will get a locked 60fps minimum (more if your monitor can do higher refresh rates). if you are bothered by mouse lag, but have a 360 (and therefore a 360 pad) spent $20 on a wireless 360 pad receiver for your PC and use your 360 pad on the PC. enjoy the game with better graphics, better framerate and the same controls you'd expect on the console version.
HOLY SHIT! Thanks for this. I just thought the game was supposed to run at 30fps. I just made this change and the graphics look like they jumped a generation. 1080p on a 24" LCD @ 60FPS = MFing WIN! :D

BTW: I made the change just before the boss fight at the end of chapter 5 and DAMN!

raYne

Just finished off my first playthrough. Loved it and can't wait for the next one.

Definitely in my top 3 games of the year. :D

jax (old)

Banned
shpankey said:
is the motion sickness stuff as bad as 'Condemned: Criminal Origins'??

I think it is the bob and sway of the character, plus the laggy sluggish movements, but Condemned: Criminal Origins is the worst game ever, EVER for causing motion sickness. I get it almost instantly and puke within minutes.

i don't want to get this game if it's anywhere near as bad as that piece of shit game.

any kind of game that has a small delay in movement will cause it for a lot of people.

but laggy movement is the #1 cause. sluggish controls suck ass, i don't care how "realistic" they are. another game that has this issue is Chronicles of Riddick.

great post I think this is why it makes me sick. I nearly threw up at my couch. Legged it to the bathroom with my hands cupped over my face and did the deed. Something about the way ISAAC moves is why I think it makes me ill. Something about the movement isn't 100%. I think my brain hated how he was in one of the rooms with pulpy bits on the bottom and when he walked through it, he slowed down a lot even though it makes no sense. There was a definite disconnect.

I'm at chapter 3 still I think there are 12? good god.

Kinosen

Neo Member
HK-47 said:
How many 3rd person shooters are as long as RE4? Not many.

Resident Evil 4 is one of its more obvious inspirations, so I compared it to that.

somnific said:
I personally prefer it this way. I mean, why bother going through a new difficulty with all your credits and suped-up armor and weapons?

With a combination of New Game Plus and a harder difficulty level, there's a consistent level of progression even after the game is over, as in it still feels new but not frustrating. In order to fully max out all Bench stats without spending all your money on Power Nodes, at least a second playthroughs is necessary, and being able to playthrough a second time, max out everything, and fight harder enemies would feel like things were still moving forward. If I'm playing through the entire game again from scratch, then all the work I did upgrading my suit and weapons is gone, never mind a harder game that might be really frustrating.

somnific said:
Wouldn't that essentially take away the feeling of dread of going through the hardest difficulty of the game?

Maybe if the game didn't place an emphasis on upgrading equipment, but after playing through the game once with so much left to upgrade, plus a new cool looking suit, all of that goes to waste in order to start a new hard difficulty.

somnific said:
Besides, if you really wanted to go a second time through the same difficulty, you could always choose NG instead of NG+.

I already played on the same difficulty, by not letting start with my equipment into NG+, Dead Space actually removes options standard in other games instead of expanding them.

JimiNutz

Banned
somnific said:
And to clear up some confusion:

Once you finish a game, the suit you are wearing will carry into
impossible difficulty (without the power node upgrades).
There is no need to immediately play
impossible
and reach a save point, as long as you save your NG+. Just load the NG+, then quit to the menu and you should be able to select
a new game with the impossible difficulty.

Is this 100% confirmed? I just started my second play through but if I start an impossible run after this second play through will I definitely be able to carry my level 6 suit across?

RoH

Okay just watched the movie and I have to say; What the heck happened to the Plasma Saw? Why didn't any one pick up the beacon?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
They must've taken that suit exploit out of the PAL version then because I tried that and other methods multiple times and I always get the lvl 1 suit

Haunted

Just finished it on normal.

Aside from
the plot and the twist being extremely fucking transparent
, the game as a whole was a flawlessly executed experience.

High, high contender for GOTY 2008.

edit: oh, and whoever found that enable vsync in the graphics driver thing? good job, mang. Seeing this game run at a smooth 60 is a joy. Didn't think the difference would be that noticeable, but it definitely is.

WrikaWrek

Banned
My head got cut off.

I didn't like it. At all. Getting decapitated in res4 by the saw was really shitty too, it really makes an impression.

somnific

Darunia said:
They must've taken that suit exploit out of the PAL version then because I tried that and other methods multiple times and I always get the lvl 1 suit

yeah, i guess it doesn't work for the PAL version. i know i've done it twice. once i started impossible with the scorpion suit, and once with the
military
suit.

Kinosen said:
With a combination of New Game Plus and a harder difficulty level, there's a consistent level of progression even after the game is over, as in it still feels new but not frustrating. In order to fully max out all Bench stats without spending all your money on Power Nodes, at least a second playthroughs is necessary, and being able to playthrough a second time, max out everything, and fight harder enemies would feel like things were still moving forward. If I'm playing through the entire game again from scratch, then all the work I did upgrading my suit and weapons is gone, never mind a harder game that might be really frustrating.

Maybe if the game didn't place an emphasis on upgrading equipment, but after playing through the game once with so much left to upgrade, plus a new cool looking suit, all of that goes to waste in order to start a new hard difficulty.

I already played on the same difficulty, by not letting start with my equipment into NG+, Dead Space actually removes options standard in other games insteading expanding them.

i see your points, and find them completely valid if that's what you're looking for. however, i also find the choice that the developers made to be completely valid as well as opposed to being a "gaffe". the reward for finishing the game is being able to use all your upgrades, etc for the difficulty level you finished it in, as apposed to giving you a leg up in a harder difficulty
(not to mention a new suit, new difficulty level, 10 power nodes and 50,000 credits!)
. for me, i know i would have found going through a higher difficulty way easier with a fully upgraded plasma cutter, rig and all those other bonuses.

RavenFox

Banned
Finished this today and loved every bit of it. Willl take two different playthrough's to get all the trophies but I got most of them. What a great game EA. Keep em coming.

Az987

all good things
Picked up the Dead Space movie Blu-ray today, gonna watch it later. I didnt play the game yet cause ive been waiting to see it. Hope its good, and I didnt waste my 23$ lol

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I got a £30 gift certificate for Gamestation as a leaving gift from my job and used it to buy Dead Space today (it was either that or FarCry 2 or Bioshock as all three were £39.99) and let's just say I'm very impressed. Up until the animated comics hit PSN I was sceptical about Dead Space but I'm up to Chapter 3 right now the gameplay and presentation is just incredible.

MMaRsu

SO yeah a fellow gaffer is letting me borrow his copy, very much appreciated ( you know who you are ;) )!!!!

I can't wait to pop this in at night and wetting my pants!

:p

Flunkie

Banned
Just finished. Clocked in at 11:58:18 on Medium. Pretty lengthy game. Even though it was an awesome game to play through, it felt really tedious at times, especially the last 3-4 chapters. I just wanted it to.. END! It felt a little too strung out, with too much filler. The ending was pretty awesome though.. I have to admit.

Btw, is anyone translating the messages? I've got a couple pics:

DSC02029.jpg

DSC02041.jpg

DSC02051.jpg

DSC02047.jpg

DSC02053.jpg

DSC02049.jpg

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Now that I'm done I can officially say I didn't find this game to be scary at all. It's weird, I have been scared shitless when getting cheap shotted by rogues in WoW and this game never once made me jump in the slightest.

But anyway...warmed up to the combat towards the end, even if it was a little repetitive. Great boss battles.

Loved the graphics. I'm surprised at how well my 8600GT ran this game. With all settings on high I was able to play at 1080p for 90% of the game (some spots just got a little too choppy). The loading times were fast as hell too. Just an overall great job on the PC version.

Oh and yeah, Kendra has to be the worst video game character in history. They all stunk in this game, but she really takes the cake. So shitty. For shame. That is all.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Anyone else feel that the facial animation was incredible in this game? When
Dr. Kyne
first starting talking in a video log all I could think was how real it looked, consequently making him a believable character.

Flunkie said:
Just finished. Clocked in at 11:58:18 on Medium. Pretty lengthy game. Even though it was an awesome game to play through, it felt really tedious at times, especially the last 3-4 chapters. I just wanted it to.. END! It felt a little too strung out, with too much filler. The ending was pretty awesome though.. I have to admit.

Btw, is anyone translating the messages? I've got a couple pics:

DSC02029.jpg

DSC02041.jpg

Thanks for the screens. The first one says:

keep us whole................................
..................................................make us whole
...................MARKER.................................
the sacred
relic
the message
from our
creators

EDIT:

Got 'altman our martyr, altman our pioneer' and 'dont you question my faith' from the other pictures, rest are too hard to read.

RoH

Ysiadmihi said:
Now that I'm done I can officially say I didn't find this game to be scary at all. It's weird, I have been scared shitless when getting cheap shotted by rogues in WoW and this game never once made me jump in the slightest.

But anyway...warmed up to the combat towards the end, even if it was a little repetitive. Great boss battles.

Loved the graphics. I'm surprised at how well my 8600GT ran this game. With all settings on high I was able to play at 1080p for 90% of the game (some spots just got a little too choppy). The loading times were fast as hell too. Just an overall great job on the PC version.

Oh and yeah, Kendra has to be the worst video game character in history. They all stunk in this game, but she really takes the cake. So shitty. For shame. That is all.

I must be the only one that liked the characters; Every thing story wise caught me by surprise, but I still have one last chapter to go! So far its the best game of 08 for me.

Just finished the game on medium. Took me 11 hours and 56 minutes, way longer than I would have thought. Normally when devs say a game is twelve hours, you can usually chop that time in half. Not for me and Dead Space, though.

Some comments and questions. Spoilers for those who haven't finished the game.

1. I really liked the last chapter, and I would have preferred that more chapters had taken place in an outside environment such as that one. Seeing the chunk of rock hanging miles in the air was awe-inspiring.

2. Can someone explain just what that artifact was? Was it created by people, or were only the copies created by humans? I remember that log you find on the Valor kind of explains this, and shows that the military/government knows more than they're letting on.

3. Speaking of which, those soldiers on the Valor were completely inept if they allow that single Necromorph to kill them all. Come on, I'm an engineer and committed alien genocide, surely you guys can hold your own? ;) And the soldier who sends you a holo-message reminded me off Iron Man. Heh.

4. So, Nicole was dead all along? And Isaac was crazy (or so we're lead to believe?). I guess that explains the whispers aboard the Ishimura.

5. I know that I can load my finished game to start with my upgraded weapons/stats, but can I change the difficulty and still do this, or do I have to start Impossible on a blank slate?

That's it for now. I'll be back once I remember more things to ask. :)

big_z

Jack Scofield said:
Just finished the game on medium. Took me 11 hours and 56 minutes, way longer than I would have thought. Normally when devs say a game is twelve hours, you can usually chop that time in half. Not for me and Dead Space, though.

Some comments and questions. Spoilers for those who haven't finished the game.

1. I really liked the last chapter, and I would have preferred that more chapters had taken place in an outside environment such as that one. Seeing the chunk of rock hanging miles in the air was awe-inspiring.

2. Can someone explain just what that artifact was? Was it created by people, or were only the copies created by humans? I remember that log you find on the Valor kind of explains this, and shows that the military/government knows more than they're letting on.

3. Speaking of which, those soldiers on the Valor were completely inept if they allow that single Necromorph to kill them all. Come on, I'm an engineer and committed alien genocide, surely you guys can hold your own? ;) And the soldier who sends you a holo-message reminded me off Iron Man. Heh.

4. So, Nicole was dead all along? And Isaac was crazy (or so we're lead to believe?). I guess that explains the whispers aboard the Ishimura.

5. I know that I can load my finished game to start with my upgraded weapons/stats, but can I change the difficulty and still do this, or do I have to start Impossible on a blank slate?

That's it for now. I'll be back once I remember more things to ask. :)

a black artifact was alien and found by man. man reverse engineers it and creates the red one to figure out what it does.

yeah she was always dead. isaac is not crazy but in shock and blocking it out. seeing nicole and hearing shit is just an effect of the artifact/alien thing. in the second chapter you pick up logs mentioning one of the crew experiencing stuff like this, then within the few chapters you hear from nicole telling you to put us all backtogher and finally that other chick says she's seeing her dead brother. you can put together nicoles story before getting half way through the game

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
big_z said:
a black artifact was alien and found by man. man reverse engineers it and creates the red one to figure out what it does.

yeah she was always dead. isaac is not crazy but in shock and blocking it out. seeing nicole and hearing shit is just an effect of the artifact/alien thing. in the second chapter you pick up logs mentioning one of the crew experiencing stuff like this, then within the few chapters you hear from nicole telling you to put us all backtogher and finally that other chick says she's seeing her dead brother. you can put together nicoles story before getting half way through the game
You could put it together, but the section on the Mining Deck and in Chapter 11 really through me off course.

big_z said:

Dead Space animated movie spoilers kinda/ending spoilers:

In the movie there are people who lose it because of the marker. Not really sure if that's what happened to Isaac or not, but that might have been the case.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finally passed the Asteroid segment with over 50%, it was so hard to tell if it would miss the ship entirely or just barely nip it.

Played it through yesterday evening.

Even though the last chapter was lame and pretty disapointing and the final boss was WAY to easy, Dead Space is by far the best game this year. Hope EA is going on like that.

MNC

shpankey said:
EDIT: I meant Condemed 2 [below] not CO.

is the motion sickness stuff as bad as 'Condemned 2'??

Laggy movement have no impact on me at all. However, a small FOV really makes it hard for me to play a game. Not nauseus, but I can hardly concentrate on the game at all, and makes me dizzy/disoriented. Halo 2 Vista did this for me, and Dead Space also a little bit.

DarknessTear fix your spoilers please, I glanced over the posts and saw your name and broken spoiler tags :D

VicViper

Is it just me or does Dead Space have an extraordinarily small FOV? I've been playing plenty of shooters lately and something about the narrow FOV in Dead Space doesn't sit right with me. Is there a way of increasing it on the PC version?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Just got the game and started playing.

How do I get access to the free PSN suit?

I've downloaded it but when I get to the first upgrade station the only options are to upgrade the suit I have.

Am I doing something wrong?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Witchfinder General said:
Just got the game and started playing.

How do I get access to the free PSN suit?

I've downloaded it but when I get to the first upgrade station the only options are to upgrade the suit I have.

Am I doing something wrong?
Yeah, experience the game as it should be from scratch. Don't use the DLC suit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I appreciate your commitment to playing the game the way you want but that doesn't help me.

I want to use the suit.
Fine :)

Find the store (not upgrade bench) terminal in-game, the suit should be at the bottom.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Seiken said:
Fine :)

Find the store (not upgrade bench) terminal in-game, the suit should be at the bottom.

Cheers!

How far away from it am I?

I have just
I just put the thingy in the terminal that allows the tram system to go online

Yoshichan

Cheers!

How far away from it am I?

I have just
I just put the thingy in the terminal that allows the tram system to go online
Not far at all :)!

Top Bottom