• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Dyno

Last night I had a few hours to play games. Fallout 3, Fable 2, and Little Big Planet are all on my shelf, untouched except for viewing the opening of each. What did I decide to play though? Of course, my second Dead Space go-through on hard.

I can't remember being this addicted to a game. I just love the fighting and atmosphere in it.

AgentOtaku said:
between the way the audio drops, the depth of field takes effect, and the lighting ....fuck yes it was epic! :D

Yeah, outside of the mention of how big this was over a few of the audio logs, it's still mind blowing to see just how enormous it is.

Just finished it. I'm glad I played it, thats for sure, but it all got a little predictable. Every level was fixing something, just for something else to break moments later. The fact that the main characters were even commenting on how tired they were of it all should have been a major clue to the designers that tedium was setting in.

The later levels where you are hauling that *bleep* around were just annoying, especially when monsters are spawning as you move it every 3 meters. The story also went off track a little bit, suffering from that classic problem of most horror stories having a setup much better than the payoff.

A lot of the bosses were designed around a fast firing, accurate weapon and that makes pretty much every weapon aside from the assault rifle and plasma cutter very hard to rely on. The game plays much better when you've got one maxed out weapon, which really limits your options. I was using the ripper which was fine until a certain boss made it impossible to beat and I had to dump heaps of nodes back into the plasma cutter just to make the game playable.

Anyway the game had a lot of strong points already discussed, those were just my problems.

Personally I adore the structure of this game. What I mean by that is, every Chapter really does feel episodic so I've just been playing 1 Chapter a sitting. Add this to the presence of a generous amount of save points and this game speaks oh so well to the concept of casual gaming time.

I love it!

LiK

AgentOtaku said:
Personally I adore the structure of this game. What I mean by that is, every Chapter really does feel episodic so I've just been playing 1 Chapter a sitting. Add this to the presence of a generous amount of save points and this game speaks oh so well to the concept of casual gaming time.

I love it!

this. i loved it as well. gonna replay it again soon so i can get some of my missing achievements.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Dyno said:
Last night I had a few hours to play games. Fallout 3, Fable 2, and Little Big Planet are all on my shelf, untouched except for viewing the opening of each. What did I decide to play though? Of course, my second Dead Space go-through on hard.

I can't remember being this addicted to a game. I just love the fighting and atmosphere in it.
This is great to hear. It's definitely the game I've been most excited about recently, as while the likes of Fallout 3/Fable 2 impress me, I don't feel as compelled to check them out. I think it's my attention span more than anything. I've gone through RE4 a bunch of times, but can rarely finish games of such massive scale as the ones above.

Can't wait to plunge into the Ishimura :D Don't get me wrong though; will definitely be getting LBP =)

AgentOtaku said:

I love it!
Definitely agree with that. Each chapter took me just about an hour, and it's very nice to know how long it'll take when you sit down to play.

shpankey

not an idiot
man, i'm having withdrawals here at work. all i can think of is getting home and firing this game back up.

SOOOOOOO GOOOD!

BeeDog

Am at chapter 5, at the part where (big spoilers)
Mercer drains the oxygen out of the ship, and you have to run back fighting those small fuckers (who fucking kill you), then the freakin' regenerator and the rest of those big-belly monsters.

Any tips on how I should clear this fucking area?

aeolist

Banned
BeeDog said:
Mercer drains the oxygen out of the ship, and you have to run back fighting those small fuckers (who fucking kill you), then the freakin' regenerator and the rest of those big-belly monsters.

Don't, just run through. It's not really that hard. Use Stasis on a couple of them if you have to, but don't fight.

BeeDog

aeolist said:
Don't, just run through. It's not really that hard. Use Stasis on a couple of them if you have to, but don't fight.

I hate running away from enemies, I get stressed out when they're on my tail. Especially that fucker, brrr. :lol Thanks.

digital

Banned
Alphahawk said:
Is the game playable on an SDTV I'm kind of worried that I may have to squint to see my suit and ammo readings and that wouldn't be any fun...
Playing on a SDTV, your suit and ammo readings shouldn't be hard to read. However, some inventory text and the text logs might have you squinting to read them. It's nothing game breaking though. I just skip reading the text logs when I pick them up.

BeeDog said:

As above, run. It isn't far at all. Just stasis the
batch of little buggers
and go by (or as I prefer, drop an LG bomb while passing by for good riddance). Usually nothing got in my way after that, but stasis or just go wide around the tables to the left.

Also, don't wait for the game scripting, start running the moment you grab that trigger item and you'll get a head start
oxygen-wise
even though you'll always encounter that
little bug greeting commitee
at the same point regardless.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Darunia said:
You can do that with a curb stomp too. Removing limbs on corpses is recommended when you want to make sure you get the Butcher achievement.

I think the precaution of removing limbs to twart infectors is useless. They only appear in new rooms, so you have to cut off limbs when they're in the room with you. So, just killing them outright before they can infect is the better strategy

Except in the residential tram lobby, which is the most dangerous encounter

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
My only beef with this game so far, and I think I'm getting towards the end, are the "stand your ground" battles. I can understand there being a need to do them every now and then, but it seems like whenever there is a large open space I can just sigh as the quarantine alert is sounded. I've been encountering way to many. :/

The design of the tall lanky creatures has to be some of the creepiest shit ever. I just stared at the screen in awe as it turned the corner with the clothing flying in the air behind it. It seemed like I looked at that thing forever...until it started to run. :lol Then it was OMFGWTFWTFWTF after I "killed it". I thought I was smart by taking a lift up to a different level to get away from the things. Ended up LOLing in horror as the climbed the mother effin walls to try and kill me. :lol

edit:
Big-E said:
Ya, I made sure every single corpse was just a torso to be sure.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I learned my lesson in REmake. lol

Des0lar

will learn eventually
BeeDog said:
I hate running away from enemies, I get stressed out when they're on my tail. Especially that fucker, brrr. :lol Thanks.

IIRC you have to clear one room in order to progress. The doors won't open unless you kill everyone
exept the regenerator of course

Des0lar said:
IIRC you have to clear one room in order to progress. The doors won't open unless you kill everyone
exept the regenerator of course

I believe that is just before the sequence he is talking about. That room you note needs to be cleared as such first is the same one he can then just run through after the
oxygen drain
trigger.

BeeDog

Thanks all, just finished chapter 5. What a fucking relief when you
freeze that asshole and transport him to some unknown location
. Some tense shit right there, and the design of it was amazing.

BeeDog said:
Thanks all, just finished chapter 5. What a fucking relief when you
freeze that asshole and transport him to some unknown location
. Some tense shit right there, and the design of it was amazing.

Yes, what a relief!!!:D

12 chapters...

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Playing with the music turned all the way down is something I recommend trying. I've really gained an appreciation for how well the sound design is structured, plus the game is more creepy when you don't have the music giving cues on what's about to happen.

G-Bus

Banned
Wasn't feeling this one at all. GAF hype go to me and I picked it up last week. Got mid way (?) through chapter 5 and traded it back in for another game (Fallout3). Just could not get into it. Story didn't interest me and it wasn't the least but scary from what I played. Little dumb founded to this "OMG GOTY" talk. Different strokes and all that jazz I suppose.

raYne

MMaRsu said:
Hope I get it tomorrow :D
I thought you got it from whats-his-face already? Pfft.

Oldschoolgamer said:
The design of the tall lanky creatures has to be some of the creepiest shit ever. I just stared at the screen in awe as it turned the corner with the clothing flying in the air behind it. It seemed like I looked at that thing forever...until it started to run. :lol Then it was OMFGWTFWTFWTF after I "killed it". I thought I was smart by taking a lift up to a different level to get away from the things. Ended up LOLing in horror as the climbed the mother effin walls to try and kill me. :lol
Yea, that's pretty much my favorite enemy design in the whole game.

I had the exact same first intro feeling as you as well. It's all lanky and slow and when he turns the corner in slow motion and the coat's flowing behind him I was like, "whoa". Then it ran at me full speed. "Shit! Kill it! Kill it! Yeah, take that! Wait.. what?!"

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
G-Bus said:
Wasn't feeling this one at all. GAF hype go to me and I picked it up last week. Got mid way (?) through chapter 5 and traded it back in for another game (Fallout3). Just could not get into it. Story didn't interest me and it wasn't the least but scary from what I played. Little dumb founded to this "OMG GOTY" talk. Different strokes and all that jazz I suppose.

I am completely unable to process the notion of someone not getting into this game. My best friend stares at me in befuddlement and pity whenever I mention that the GTA series does absolutely nothing for me. This is the stare I'm giving you right now. :D

shpankey

not an idiot
bob_arctor said:
I am completely unable to process the notion of someone not getting into this game. My best friend stares at me in befuddlement and pity whenever I mention that the GTA series does absolutely nothing for me. This is the stare I'm giving you right now. :D
ditto, I have never been able to get into any of the GTA games, and I've tried. Really, but I couldn't dislike playing a game anymore than those. Like you, my friends can't believe it.

But yeah, how someone could not enjoy this game is tripping me out. It is so amazing in every single aspect that I just can't process that shit. Like, there HAS to be some hidden motivation for that comment. ;)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Beat it. Not sure of what the time was, but, mission complete.

This was a pretty damn good game. I only have like a few personal issues with it, but, the good outweigh the negative. I think they have could have done it a bit better with the horror aspect of the game, towards the end of it. Granted, I'm playing on medium, so I wasn't that afraid of taking a hit with the lvl 4 & 5 suit on. Certain areas where glass would break or a vent would drop open, and nothing would come out, did a much better job of keeping me on my toes than the little they did at the end. I was way more paranoid when I heard metal bars being brushed up against as the necromorphs scurried in the vents, than the stupid quarantine noise. The game became way to shooter like at the end.

The final boss was gorgeous, but pathetic. I just assassinated a trillion crew members, non-personnel, and little children and you're going to make me
shoot some yellow weak-spots
? Seriously? The game needed some more bosses, even if you had to use the environment to kill them, kinda like the
regenerator
. I kinda wish they used him a bit better too. As someone stated earlier in the thread, he could have been like a Mr.X/Nemesis/Tyrant like character.

The story was a bit easy to figure out, especially the bit about
Nicole
. I do like it, in the regard that you will be rewarded if you just pay attention to the details. The ending sucked though.

The upgraded cutter = maxed out Red9 from RE4. It is that godly. There is little need for anything else.

It did start to feel a bit long in parts. Towards the end of the game I stopped "exploring", because I didn't want to trigger anymore monster closets, so not to waste ammo, and just get through the sections in general. The game really did make me feel like I was putting shit together though, so I will give them credit for that. I think it would have done wonders if they would have shown some more creature interactions with the people, instead of just random loonies walking around. The movie did that pretty well. Yes, I know most of the crew got killed before they made it there, but, still.

This is going to sound like the RE4 argument all over again, in regards to controls, but...I think he could have used a quick turn around. By the end of the game the environments opened up a bit, but, in the beginning and middle you could take damage just out of awkward positioning instead of outright carelessness. That meaning, if a monster spawns behind you, there is jack shit you can do but eat the damage. I'll admit though, the game probably would have been broken if they had it. It's hard as hell to die on medium. By the end of the game I had died like three times, and that's mainly due to me making mistakes with the environment.

There wasn't enough zero-g stuff, and when we had it it was mighty brief. Same with the space vacuum segments.

That might seem overly negative, but, it isn't. I really like the game and the team behind it deserves all of the praise they can get. Does it give an upgrade to the horror/action horror genre? Not in the slightest. The gunplay isn't even an upgrade either. The same shit we did in RE4, with the exception that you are forced to target limbs. Even when you can tell it "borrows" from other games, it does it with it's own unique twist. That makes it awesome as hell and a must have. Heh

The strongest point in the game for me had to be at the end, where
Isaac watched the full video of Nicole killing herself. The whole bit of animation he went through surprised the shit out of me.
That made him seem more human and less of a killing machine. If its one thing that I hope other games take from it, it's the smaller touches like that.

AgentOtaku said:

I love it!
You make an excellent point. I'm doing exactly the same, and similarly adore the structure.

One thing I'm not liking in this game in my admittedly limited experience (just about to finish Chapter 3) is the way your objectives flow from the story developments. They just don't seem to flow as naturally as they should, instead coming across as clunky and kind of shoehorned. And for whatever reason, I find myself forgetting what my objective actually is, and having to go to the mission screen to remind myself what I'm supposed to be doing. Even then I sometimes struggle to remember why I'm doing it. That comes back to the writing.

Without having a concrete goal right out in front of you, foremost in the player's thoughts, your character starts to lose motivation and that lessens the impact of the events that are unfolding. I think this stands out because Dead Space is a little behind the competition in this respect (especially compared to
Uncharted
) yet cutting edge in most others. I'm really enjoying the game so far though, even if it's not the best game I've played this gen.

Oldschoolgamer said:
The strongest point in the game for me had to be at the end, where
Isaac watched the full video of Nicole killing herself. The whole bit of animation he went through surprised the shit out of me.
That made him seem more human and less of a killing machine. If its one thing that I hope other games take from it, it's the smaller touches like that.
yea I had to take a screen of that
http://www.uploadftw.com/200810/DeadSpace2008-10-2921-09-23-14.png

JB1981

jesus christ ... i started off really loving this game .. but goddamn is this dragged out and frustrating ... t
he final boss battle is soooo annoying. I almost don't even care to finish it... how many endings does this game have?

Alphahawk

Just got this game, I havvent gotten very far but it seems like this is gonna be really fun. I wasn't sure I was gonna love dismembering the enemys but so far it's the best part of the game...

So after playing the game in full. I have this very spoiler question on what the hell happened.

UPDATED!
I get it that Isaac was hallucinating Nicole. I also get that Nicole was either a Necromorph or his own crazy hallucination. If the Red Marker was a man made copy of the Black one and its job is basically to create/suppress Necromorph activity... That says that the military/government was trying to control the Necromorphs way the hell out in space. As a big experiment.

What's the point of the original black marker on earth? What was its purpose? What the hell is its supposed to do why create and suppress necromorphs? I just want a reasonable theory of what the hell happened.

EDIT: Sorry if anyone read my earlier post where I screwed up the spoiler tag. :(

aeolist

Banned
Someone help me out here, and I don't care if you post the full solution to this puzzle because I honestly don't care and just want to move on.

Trying to get the distress beacon onto the asteroid. Destroyed two of the gravity tethers but can't even see how to get to where the other two are, and can't plant the beacon because the big spinny things will kill me no matter how quickly I try to do it.

Mindlog

aeolist said:
Someone help me out here, and I don't care if you post the full solution to this puzzle because I honestly don't care and just want to move on.

Trying to get the distress beacon onto the asteroid. Destroyed two of the gravity tethers but can't even see how to get to where the other two are, and can't plant the beacon because the big spinny things will kill me no matter how quickly I try to do it.

The other two tethers are on the other side of the asteroid. Just time your jump to as soon as a ring moves past you, land on the rock as close to the outside as possible and run to the other side. It's also much easier to place the bomb on that side because there are no rings.

spoiler solution

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPZb3tYYlRA

4 minutes watch as little as possible

Whoever was playing had to be on easy or something. Wasted A LOT of ammo.

raYne

aeolist said:

Jump on the lower left and you can walk outside to get the rest.

crispyben

Uno Ill Nino said:
I've been using the DLC suit since about Chapter 3. Mainly because I wanted to try it out and didn't know it was like getting the best suit in the game. Then once you have it on, you can't take it off.
Quck question, got the game from Canada yesterday , downloaded the Obsidian suit from US PSN before I received the game for fear it would not be available anymore, how far into the game do I have to go to check I can indeed use it? I want to make sure, but don't have time to wander around right now... Thanks.

Finally made it through to the end:

The last 3 levels were so disappointing. LOVED the anti-grav tunnel, but the whole sequence of hauling the damn artifact around was not fun at all. I would have far preferred a tighter 10-hour experience. In the last 2 hours of the game, nothing new is added, and the story twists were pretty weak. I really found myself wanting more story by the end of the game, something more coherent to structure all the gameplay.

I'm left feeling like I did at the end of Bioshock: 75% amazing, gripping action & world, but blah at the end. No incentive for another playthough [but I really never do that anyway].

JB1981 said:
jesus christ ... i started off really loving this game .. but goddamn is this dragged out and frustrating ... t
he final boss battle is soooo annoying. I almost don't even care to finish it... how many endings does this game have?
You just suck. He's actually really easy.

It has one.

dk_

zoukka said:
How hard is hard? I hate to kill a game because it's too easy. Compared to RE4 pro for instance?
Hard is hard. You're constantly searching for ammo, the enemies take more bullets, etc. It definitely suits the game.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
zoukka said:
How hard is hard? I hate to kill a game because it's too easy. Compared to RE4 pro for instance?

Can't compare to RE4, but hard IS hard. Especially in the beginning of the game you will find yourself often with little health and next to no ammo.
But I think it's the perfect difficulty for this kind of game.

hteng

Banned
OMFG THIS GAME IS SO FUCKING SCARY!!! it's not fucking hard but the fucking scare tactics are so fucking annoying, i can't play this game for more than an hour wtf!?!!?! GAF HOLD ME!@

Woo-Fu

Banned
I finished this game---1st playthrough---2 days ago and the more I think about it the better I think the game is.

Very successful in limiting the scope AND making what was within those limits very entertaining. This is the type of game those of us seeking for narrative should enjoy. I did.

We see open-world games taking center stage, but almost always at the cost of a central narrative, at a driving central quest---oblivion or fallout3 anybody?---whereas this one goes old school on us, gives us the narrow corridor experience yet makes it compelling not just once but throughout the entire game.

They even utilize monster closets, the same closets people hated doom3 for but remain silent about for Dead Space.

...sign of a great game, IMHO.

One of only two games to make my game of the year list. Think about that one if you have free time to ponder. :)

Banned
zoukka said:
It's not really that difficult. The only issue I had was running out of space, as I was picking up everything and selling it to buy ammo for my Plasma Cutter. (the only weapon I used)

I hate that they locked out impossible from the beginning. There's no reason for it.

Ecto311

Watched the cartoon last night to build up to starting the game. Hoping the game is WAY better than the lame ass cartoon.

Top Bottom