• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

Banned
GhostRidah said:
chapter 10
How do you beat the none stop horde of runners and that one who cant die in the shuttle bay?
Shoot off its legs and test the engines again. Stasis may be helpful as well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Witchfinder General said:
I appreciate your commitment to playing the game the way you want but that doesn't help me.

I want to use the suit.
Keep in mind, when you change into that suit, there's no going back to the regular one anywhere for the rest of the game, unless you load a pre-suit change saved game.

Dyno

Marconelly said:
Keep in mind, when you change into that suit, there's no going back to the regular one anywhere for the rest of the game, unless you load a pre-suit change saved game.

This is true but on the other hand the black suit is badass.

B33

Banned
plagiarize said:
damn. i was sort of hoping i could skip it.
You could, though the story actually isn't too bad. Though there are a few unnecessary lines and what not scattered throughout the feature. The animation stutters in quality from time to time and feels rather schizophrenic. And the CGI elements are rather awful at times, as well.

Overall, it's not bad. The gore and carnage is on a high scale and is not for the faint of heart. Worth a watch for those familiar with the game, though certainly not worth a purchase due to the abysmal bits.

bee

WOW, just installed my pc version and played through the first chapter, didn't expect it to be this good at all. looks stunning at 1080p/60fps, game simply hasn't put a foot wrong in the 1st hour, if it continues in this fashion it'll definitely be my goty

I just read a spoiler of the ending....

damn you...

on chapter 4, and loving it.

but I do wish I started on med instead of hard. You have to be crafty on fighting the enemies and run a lot...

raYne

I blazed halfway through the game in like 4 hours last night for my x number of kills w/ a weapon run. Did the Cutter only run the first time thorugh, so I didn't even know what the other weapons looked like. Not to mention how they functioned :lol

Finished off everything except the Contact Beam and I've concluded that the flamethrower is almost completely useless.

See

Woohoo I just received it in the mail! Unfortunately I have to wait about 13 hours to play, with uni and work right after :( Oh well, at least it would be dark then.

raYne said:
I blazed halfway through the game in like 4 hours last night for my x number of kills w/ a weapon run. Did the Cutter only run the first time thorugh, so I didn't even know what the other weapons looked like. Not to mention how they functioned :lol

Finished off everything except the Contact Beam and I've concluded that the flamethrower is almost completely useless.

Can you do the weapon run on easy?

i started to play it this evening, but geeze, i cant anymore :lol i am too scared..... (just remet the two shipmates at the other side of that window)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Me and some friends played up to the first real boss fight.

Oh

my

god...our jaws dropped at the graphics. O_O That shit is amazing. Nothing much else to say. :lol

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Damnit, if you're like me and are pumped for this game but have yet to pick it up, avoid the release trailer that came up on XBL recently. It's got nothing in it that'll make you want the game more than you already do, and there's what looks to be a pretty major boss spoiler...

Even though it's just a glimpse, it might've been nice to have seen it first time in-game =(

Anyhoo, got the cash monies so will be picking this up plus some new headphones hopefully this weekend :D

Des0lar

will learn eventually
dasupremeone said:
I just read a spoiler of the ending....

damn you...

on chapter 4, and loving it.

but I do wish I started on med instead of hard. You have to be crafty on fighting the enemies and run a lot...

It's hard, but oh so satisfying, when you accomplish things :lol

mauaus

This game is amazing, GOTY for me so far... cant remember wanting to go back and finish a game so bad.... not even mgs4!

Az987

all good things
Just got done watching Dead Space: Downfall.. it was pretty good, not scary though. Now i can start the game :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Yesterday, as a temporary farewell to the game I started a third run, testing all maxed out weapons. The pulse rifle suddenly becomes über badass and the force gun's crowd control is just amazing. Also tested out the Line Gun's mines and now I blame myself for not using these more on my first run. stasis + mines = killer.

I'm going to do an impossible run down the line and I think my weapon combo will be plasma/line cutter and force gun later for crowd control and bug extermination. I feel those 3 are the most efficient weapons in the game

Rlan

raYne said:

Flamethrower is great for when you've accidentally let the Fat guys spew their gut-minions out :)

raYne

Rlan said:
Flamethrower is great for when you've accidentally let the Fat guys spew their gut-minions out :)
Yeah, that's the "almost" part. :lol

Since I'm pretty awesome at slicing their legs off and severing the head/arm while they crawl around *pats self on back*, the amount of times that's happened to me is so low it's not even worth carrying it around. And if it does happen, there's conveniently an explosive red cylinder in the room that I can use via Kinesis and take 'em out in one shot.

zewone

Finally beat the game at 11 hours on medium.

Fantastic game. Scared the shit out of me, although I'm sort of a pussy when it comes to these type of games.

JB1981

I'm on level 10 waiting for this retard scientist so show up at the shuttle
. I'm about to break my control in pieces.

I figured you have to test the engines
but these motherfuckers are fast.

raYne

JB1981 said:
I'm on level 10 waiting for this retard scientist so show up at the shuttle
. I'm about to break my control in pieces.

I figured you have to test the engines
but these motherfuckers are fast.
Hmm? There's still only one
regenerator
, right? So only have to do it once.

Hit him with stasis.
Slice off his legs.
????
Profit.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Anyone who uses the Force Gun, then is another use for it. If you fire it close range at a dead body, it will automatically dismember all their limbs and head. Thus it is great for eliminating potential targets for Infectors.

aeolist

Banned
I really need to remember to use Stasis when I'm fighting. I just get so freaked out and have to shoot wildly every time something comes at me so I've never once thought to slow them down.

joesmokey

aeolist

Banned
joesmokey said:
Alright so I'm about to jump in and play this on the PC, but I want to get a 360 controller for Windows before I do.

Does anyone know the differences between these two on Amazon, or rather why they're priced differently? From the pictures they look different, and have different release dates (first released latest), but is the one from the first link the best one to go with?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BT4CF4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KA5T6A/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Top link is for a corded controller, bottom one is cordless. You can use cordless 360 controllers on PC but you have to get a USB adapter separately.

Alphahawk

Is the game playable on an SDTV I'm kind of worried that I may have to squint to see my suit and ammo readings and that wouldn't be any fun...

jvm

Gamasutra.
Just finished on medium. Took 15+ hours, 143 saves. I'm a very cautious player, no? :D

I thought the final
boss was mediocre. After all the fun mechanics the game develops, you simply ... shoot. Boo, hiss.

Also, was that
Nicole
at the end? You know what I'm talking about.

aerofx

big_z said:
a black artifact was alien and found by man. man reverse engineers it and creates the red one to figure out what it does.

yeah she was always dead. isaac is not crazy but in shock and blocking it out. seeing nicole and hearing shit is just an effect of the artifact/alien thing. in the second chapter you pick up logs mentioning one of the crew experiencing stuff like this, then within the few chapters you hear from nicole telling you to put us all backtogher and finally that other chick says she's seeing her dead brother. you can put together nicoles story before getting half way through the game

still don't understand the part where you
protect nicole, who is opening the door if she was dead all along? Kendra?

raYne

jvm said:
Also, was that
Nicole
at the end? You know what I'm talking about.
Yes.

Alphahawk said:
Is the game playable on an SDTV I'm kind of worried that I may have to squint to see my suit and ammo readings and that wouldn't be any fun...
It's simple enough.. when your targeting laser and blurry SD ammo HUD turns red, you're about to die. :lol

aerofx said:
still don't understand the part where you
protect nicole, who is opening the door if she was dead all along? Kendra?
The
Hivemind
. :O

..or you were crazy enough that you did it yourself without realizing. Whichever.

Flunkie said:
Just finished. Clocked in at 11:58:18 on Medium. Pretty lengthy game. Even though it was an awesome game to play through, it felt really tedious at times, especially the last 3-4 chapters. I just wanted it to.. END! It felt a little too strung out, with too much filler. The ending was pretty awesome though.. I have to admit.

Btw, is anyone translating the messages? I've got a couple pics:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/flunkie44/DSC02029.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/flunkie44/DSC02041.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/flunkie44/DSC02051.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/flunkie44/DSC02047.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/flunkie44/DSC02053.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/flunkie44/DSC02049.jpg
Rune_Translation_Guide_by_MFox87.jpg

just beat it, awesome game, will play through it again right away. I loved the ending!

voltron

OMFG I didnt realise how goddam amazingly cool the anti grav rooms is Dead Space are. I just got to the second one and Im shooting all these bodies (alive and dead), and the way the limbs go flying off them and the blood coagulates and blobs out just looks beyond cool.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
HK-47 said:
Anyone who uses the Force Gun, then is another use for it. If you fire it close range at a dead body, it will automatically dismember all their limbs and head. Thus it is great for eliminating potential targets for Infectors.

You can do that with a curb stomp too. Removing limbs on corpses is recommended when you want to make sure you get the Butcher achievement.

I think the precaution of removing limbs to twart infectors is useless. They only appear in new rooms, so you have to cut off limbs when they're in the room with you. So, just killing them outright before they can infect is the better strategy

shpankey

not an idiot
I got this last night, man what an amazing game so far. Fucking scaring the shit out of me though. I have it on my 5.1 surround system, cranked up and playing with all the lights off on my bigscreen plasma. This has been an unforgettable experience!

Man, all you bastards saying you weren't scared are some tough cookies. I am like petrified through this mother. Twice I literally jumped off my couch! :lol

voltron

shpankey said:
I got this last night, man what an amazing game so far. Fucking scaring the shit out of me though. I have it on my 5.1 surround system, cranked up and playing with all the lights off on my bigscreen plasma. This has been an unforgettable experience!

Man, all you bastards saying you weren't scared are some tough cookies. I am like petrified through this mother. Twice I literally jumped off my couch! :lol

They say theyre not scared because it doesnt channel past scarey games like Silent Hill and movies like the Ring.

Dead Space is scary if yo have the right audio setup. The anticipation and sudden orchestral hits gets the adrenalin going for me.

epmode

Three hours in, I'm not finding it particularly scary (Silent Hill is still the only thing to freak me out,) but the atmosphere is first rate creepy. I can't believe how infrequently we get Alien-style horror games, especially when they're so effective.

And the vacuum/zero-g areas are brilliant.

I <3 Dead Space.

Man....the Pulse Rifle becomes so badass once it's upgraded ...it's basically my primary weapon right now and my cutter is my secondary. Not bothering with any other weapons through the rest of the game for this play through...just wanna max these out

Just finished Chapter.6 btw .....my fucking draw dropped at the end :D

Top Bottom