• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space |OT|

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
JB1981 said:
jesus christ ... i started off really loving this game .. but goddamn is this dragged out and frustrating ... t
he final boss battle is soooo annoying. I almost don't even care to finish it... how many endings does this game have?
Funny, I found him incredibly easy. Strangely enough, I didn't mind. It was just such a cool set-piece and was a lot of fun.

itxaka

Defeatist
Rez>You said:
Funny, I found him incredibly easy. Strangely enough, I didn't mind. It was just such a cool set-piece and was a lot of fun.

this. I was surprised how easy it was compared to some other parts of the game.

Only complain I have about the game is that is too short. about 7:30 hours to beat it.

they should have included an extra mode in which the whole ship is out of O2 and placed O2 machines all around it, so you have to do it like a time trial. That could give the game an extra 3 or 4 hours.

And the ending was awesome
fucking Nicole alien out of nowhere just creeped me out. didn't expect it

Worth the 70€ I paid.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Working_Stiff said:
Quick question, if you upgrade you rig with power nodes and then you purchase a new rig, do you loose your upgrades?

No. New rig improve armor. Upgrades just health and O2.

shpankey said:
I don't know if hard is hard, but I can tell you, medium is a cakewalk. I wish I had chosen hard now.

How far are you? I'm doing medium and for the first 4 missions it was pretty easy, but it seems that as of mission 5, the difficulty was ramped up (Not too difficult, but it definately has added more tension to fights). I am still on mission 5, so I don't know if it will maintain this difficulty, but I hope it does.

Wow, so mission 9 is borderline too tense for my tastes. I really don't like the way
those old soldiers move so damn twitchy and fast.
. Most of the game has had me on edge, but this chapter may be a tad too much lol.

hteng

Banned
is it me or is the handgun like... the best weapon, lots of ammo laying around, upgrade damage and it's good to go, sucks for crowd control but you have stasis for that anyway.

fuck, still pretty scary after 3 chapters. I get headaches after playin too long

hteng said:
is it me or is the handgun like... the best weapon, lots of ammo laying around, upgrade damage and it's good to go, sucks for crowd control but you have stasis for that anyway.

fuck, still pretty scary after 3 chapters. I get headaches after playin too long

the plasma cutter is an iconic weapon. imo it's definitely the best weapon overall, and that's just fine.

crispyben

How far into the game do I have to go to check the Obsidian suit? I'm a bit pressed for time, but I want to make sure I have it before it's not free anymore...

atomico

crispyben said:
How far into the game do I have to go to check the Obsidian suit? I'm a bit pressed for time, but I want to make sure I have it before it's not free anymore...

I'm pretty sure it wasn't free, this morning, already... :(

shpankey

not an idiot
Working_Stiff said:
How far are you? I'm doing medium and for the first 4 missions it was pretty easy, but it seems that as of mission 5, the difficulty was ramped up (Not too difficult, but it definately has added more tension to fights). I am still on mission 5, so I don't know if it will maintain this difficulty, but I hope it does.
i'm not too far, just started 3 actually. so your post here gives me hope. right now i'm definitely not having any problems whatsoever.

alternatively, i played DMC4 on hard and got halfway through the game and realized "oh shit this is too hard now" and had to go back and level on easy for awhile. that's why i chose medium on this one.

hopefully it gets harder like you say as right now i have plenty of ammo and health and stasis and dominate all the fights with ease. don't even have to use stasis.

Variable

crispyben said:

I got it from one of the stores in the game. It's cost is 0 dollars. My only question is how do you take it off and revert to your original suit.

shpankey

not an idiot
crispyben said:
i had to buy it last night. i think it was $2.49 or maybe $2.99

Well I'm almost done getting through this beast and it definately is one of the year's best titles, BUT, it can get extremely frustrating at points. I'm surprised there isn't more frustration strewn about. The game has some excellent weapons, it's too bad the game doesn't let you have any fun using them. The flamethrower is flat out useless. Your main weapon, the Plasma Cutter, really is the best weapon in the game. I realize that the lack of ammo is intentionallly done for effect, but, repeating tense spots multiple times is a pain in the ass. (Yes, I'm using Stasis and fighting properly). I also don't like the cheap tactics used by placing you in kill boxes when you have almost zero ammo left. They should have at least made your melee attack a little bit stronger as well. Other than those points, this is definately a game that must be played and savoured. Just my 2 cents.

so i've experienced a weird glitch. i was playing on Hard. at somepoint during chapter seven (i'm on chapter nine now) it dropped me down to medium and reset my time played to zero. there's no option anywhere in the menus to turn it back up mid game.

i'm playing on pc... i really hope there's a way to notch it back up other than replaying the last two and a half chapters.

shpankey said:
i'm not too far, just started 3 actually. so your post here gives me hope. right now i'm definitely not having any problems whatsoever.

alternatively, i played DMC4 on hard and got halfway through the game and realized "oh shit this is too hard now" and had to go back and level on easy for awhile. that's why i chose medium on this one.

hopefully it gets harder like you say as right now i have plenty of ammo and health and stasis and dominate all the fights with ease. don't even have to use stasis.

I was in the same situation up through CH4. Ch5 was the first time I noticed I was almost out of ammo and health. Keep in mind I haven't yet actually run out of either yet, but I assume as I keep moving forward, this will change.

crispyben

atomico said:
I'm pretty sure it wasn't free, this morning, already... :(
That's why I downloaded it before I got the game! And I want to know how long I have to play before I can check if the Obsidian suite is indeed available...

MMaRsu

Got it in from Darunia today ( thanks bro! ), I'm borrowing his copy :).

Finished chapter one, and it's soooo awesome. Scary shit, but it's still daylight here, I closed all the curtains but you know it's not the same. I think I'll continue playing this tonight, and hopefully I won't have any fucking nightmares or something :lol

But yes this game is totally sweet. Playing on hard btw :).

Oh one minor complaint so far, alot of save points which I dislike.. I'd rather have them spread out a little further away, are there less in the coming chapters?

MMaRsu said:

Finished chapter one, and it's soooo awesome. Scary shit, but it's still daylight here, I closed all the curtains but you know it's not the same. I think I'll continue playing this tonight, and hopefully I won't have any fucking nightmares or something :lol

Oh one minor complaint so far, alot of save points which I dislike.. I'd rather have them spread out a little further away, are there less in the coming chapters?

You'll encounter times where you'll be wishing there were more, trust me.

Mostly because you know they'll be a place to rest for a minute.

alexh

hard is like the most ridiculous and scary thing ever

I was actually scared

I had a nightmare last night that one of the alien things was right next to my bed and as I woke up it jumped on me and I pressed my mental A button to get it off.

Tarin02543

my play.com order of dead space was posted on 27/10 but I stil haven't received it !!! I'm getting desperate here. Perhaps I should have bougth the retail version.

Grimlock

Question for anyone that can answer: How left-hand friendly is the 360 version? If it plays like Resident Evil 4 on GC, or Phantom Dust, I can play it, but if it's like Gears of War or any other console FPS, I'm screwed since EA never gives any of its games the option to switch sticks-I'll have to swap out my un-opened 360 copy for something else.

MMaRsu said:

Oh one minor complaint so far, alot of save points which I dislike..
I'd rather have them spread out a little further away, are there less in the coming chapters?
*throws hand up for a beastly hi-five*

I finally got my copy from NoKnownSurvivors yesterday, so we're on the same wavelength :lol

crispyben said:
That's why I downloaded it before I got the game! And I want to know how long I have to play before I can check if the Obsidian suite is indeed available...

You can access it as soon as you come to a store (I think the first one is in ch2, but I can't remember for sure). Just keep in mind that if you equip it you wont be able to equip another rig (you may be able to equip the rig you get for finishing the game, not sure).

shpankey

not an idiot
can't wait to get back to this game tonight. i'll be playing it while handing out candy. should set the mood perfectly. :D

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Projenitor said:
Will watching the movie (Dead Space Downfall) affect/ spoil the game?
I'm on Chapter 4.
I've seen the comics already though.

I watched the movie last night (I just finished chapter 3) and no, it doesn't spoil anything at the point you're up to in the game. In fact, it raises more questions than it answers.

Also, am I the only one getting a Peter F Hamilton vibe from this game?

Like Mass Effect, they seem to have taken a lot of ideas from Hamilton's 'Night Dawn Trilogy' of books.

I started playing it (on hard) totday. It's great but...well freaking hard! I'm in chapter two where you
must get two parts for a bomb to blow up a doorway
. I already got the one part from the anti-gravity room. Now I'm stuck in the laboratory...I just can't survive the mass of enemies. Perhabs I'm doing it wrong...Sometimes I'm wasting nearly all of my munition on just one alien.
It's already hard to survive the first wave on the upper level of the room but the other buggers down there give me the rest. I found no safe place and they always get me from behind... Scary stuff! Especially if you've run out of ammo and money :O
Any tipps? I'm already thinking of starting again on normal because I just don't see how to get through this.

EDIT: Yes! Got it! I'm now heading to the genetic laboratory...It's so sick (the babies :O )..*goes playing*

EDIT: I do like this game. Don't get me wrong.

Here's a question. Is it possible to make a survival horror game that doesn't become too arcade like in the end?

At some point the "scary" goes away due to desensitization of the environment and it simply becomes an action arcade shooting game with poor mechanics.

LET ME CLARIFY... When I say poor mechanics I mean that the very nice traits which add to the scares (short field of view around Isaac, slow turn rate, enemies which spawn unfairly behind you) are great to create that intense moment of stress... But when you take them on an "action game" level its just not that great.

If gears of war or uncharted or Socom or Warhawk had gameplay mechanics like this in an action game we'd be so upset we would be yelling at the developers about stupid design choices.

Resident Evil also ended up like this and I complain about it but I wish there was some way around this issue?

It even seems the developers understand this because as you play through DeadSpace to the end:
by the end it seems more like an action SURVIVAL game as they throw creatures at you in an arena battle fashion. Its not even an attempted to do much other than make arena battles over and over.

clav

Just finished the game. Amazing experience overall, but I wouldn't give it GOTY.

The game started to become a survival action shooter. It stopped giving me surprises, and it was all about surviving waves.

After playing a game that had no HUD, I feel like with most shooter developers should consider this. It gives a clean look, and the player absorbs the game's environment.

So... is Isaac dead in the end? The game made it seem like he was caught off guard when zombie Nicole jumped at him. She probably bit his neck off.

RavenFox

Banned
alexh said:
hard is like the most ridiculous and scary thing ever

I was actually scared

I had a nightmare last night that one of the alien things was right next to my bed and as I woke up it jumped on me and I pressed my mental A button to get it off.
:lol

SPEA

Just beat Chapter 6. Loving it so far. Not as scary as I expected, but still very enjoyable. Great game.

Really hope it sells. The devs deserve it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
SPEA said:
Just beat Chapter 6. Loving it so far. Not as scary as I expected, but still very enjoyable. Great game.

Really hope it sells. The devs deserve it.

according to a certain website, its sold over 500k already (both systems, no PC)

Currently on chapter 7, awesome game and it's taking me a while to beat too!

One complaint I have is that the game seems to send you on constant item hunting quests, which are getting annoying.

the chris

Just finished the game about 30 mins ago, and it has to be one of my favorite games of the year. The game seemed to ramp up the difficulty leading towards the last boss fight, which for the most part was easy except when
the Hivemind grabs you and you have to shoot his antennae with your controls inverted before he eats you.

And for the person who asked earlier, you can unlock Impossible difficulty on Normal difficulty, not sure about easy though.

BeeDog

Those lanky fuckers are the nastiest enemies I've encountered so far. Ugh. I'm just past the part in chapter 8 where you
fight and pwn the Slug boss

Top Bottom