• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadlight |OT|

Daigoro

boxartlg.jpg

Deadlight - 1200msp, 1.96GB.

glaurung

Best OT ever.

People who have finished the game already - do you think the price tag is justified considering how linear and how short the game is?

trinest

I thought it sounded cool, but the price turned me off, as well as in some ways the gameplay.

It reminded me of I am Alive.

Daigoro

......and you where wondering why no cares about the game in the XBLA thread. Not even you do lol.

Had to post this from my shitty phone (thanks for nothing neogaf.net!) Gaf is blocked at work.

Besides its a fine OT!

If I didn't care I wouldn't have bothered. Been interested in this game since I saw the first vids of it.

Looking forward to the demo this monring in a few.

Best OT ever.

People who have finished the game already - do you think the price tag is justified considering how linear and how short the game is?

If you want to play it for the story, God no, not in a million years.

If you want to play it for the collectibles, the graphics, the world, and some speed running, yes. You will have to get the collectibles and spend some time speed running really, if you want to feel like you got your money's worth, because it's pretty slight without it.

Best OT ever.

I think the length of the game is fine (I would actually cut down a segment here or there), and it being linear is of no issue to me. I just think the game is bad, and not worth the money in terms of actual quality.

derFeef

I read the game's quality takes a dive in the second act? Love the look of it and gameplay wise it looks ok.

-GJ-

From the XBLA thread:

Here's my review of Deadlight. It was my first review in a while since I was very busy with my graduation. It's written in Dutch, but here's my verdict in English.

Deadlight is a fantastic platformgame for fans of zombiegames in general or games with a great atmosphere. Are you looking for something with a zombiestory that's not just there for the sake of having a story, but that's actually good, you'd rather spend your Microsoft Points on Telltale's The Walking Dead.

I gave it a 7/10

http://gamersdag.nl/home/reviews/4570-review-deadlight

Best OT ever.

If you're into zombiegames, yes. We're talking about a game that's about 5 hours long (first playthrough) for 'only' 12 euro's/dollars, in a time that retail games that are 6 or 7 hours will cost you 60 euro's/dollars.

Was really looking forward to this, but middling reviews and a two hour playtime means my Allards will be going to Dust this month.

Watching the GB quick look really put me off this game. It seems like there's only one path through the game with little room for variation. Usually, games that linear have some sort of branching path to encourage some kind of variation or have mechanics that encourage some kind of high level play. Shame, the game looked really promising.

AEREC

Just played the demo on XBL and enjoyed it quite a bit...the game had great atmosphere, animation and the melee attacks felt good. Hearing that this is a pretty linear game doesn't bother me too much...but I can only think how a metroid-esque game like this would be so awesome.

The only things keeping me from outright purchasing this right now is the image quality and performance of it:

-it's incredibly Jaggy
-framerate has minor dips
-some background items are rainbow colored and glitchy looking

All of this should hopefully be a non-issue in the eventual Steam release...which I will wait for.

Im curious though...does the game have any replay-ability in the form of difficulty levels or maybe a hardcore mode where you have to go through the whole game without dying?

-GJ-

The only things keeping from outright purchasing this right now is the image quality and performance of it:

-it's incredibly Jaggy
-framerate has minor dips
-some background items are rainbow colored and glitchy looking

Im curious though...does the game have any replay-ability in the form of difficulty levels or maybe a hardcore mode where you have to go through the whole game without dying?

I noticed the jaggies too, but it didn't really bother me. I've only had the framerate dips once or twice and it wasn't annoying or anything.

It doesn't have difficulty levels or a hardcore mode, sadly. It does, however, have a leaderboard with completion times (I'm currently at the 13th position) and some hidden collectibles, some of which are hard to find, while others are out in the open.

T.O.P

Banned
I think the length of the game is fine (I would actually cut down a segment here or there), and it being linear is of no issue to me. I just think the game is bad, and not worth the money in terms of actual quality.

ouch, i really loved the atmosphere from the various trailers...will probably wait for some drop

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Watching the GB quick look really put me off this game. It seems like there's only one path through the game with little room for variation. Usually, games that linear have some sort of branching path to encourage some kind of variation or have mechanics that encourage some kind of high level play. Shame, the game looked really promising.
I like to think of this more as a Flashback/Another World type of game. Like those games, Deadlight seems to demand precision from the player without offering a lot of freedom in return. I would argue that Deadlight seems a bit more open ended than Another World, but they really do seem to be very similar.

Of course, that type of game isn't for everyone and doesn't necessarily hold up in 2012.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Was really looking forward to this, but middling reviews and a two hour playtime means my Allards will be going to Dust this month.
Hmm, it took me approx. 4- 5 hours to complete the game. I don't think it's that short and I didn't die that much either.

ChuckNyce

I like to think of this more as a Flashback/Another World type of game. Like those games, Deadlight seems to demand precision from the player without offering a lot of freedom in return. I would argue that Deadlight seems a bit more open ended than Another World, but they really do seem to be very similar.

Of course, that type of game isn't for everyone and doesn't necessarily hold up in 2012.

Oh man, Flashback? Loved that game back in the day, definitely going to at least download the trial and check it out.

Guiz

I have a question guys, I'd like to know what is the genre of this game exactly ?

At first with the screenshots, I thought it was a survival horror. Then with the videos, it seems to be more like a horror action game.

daviyoung

Banned

I can't see the link, but is that Gexup? His English isn't too great, but he's easy to listen to and his knowledge is solid.

This is a cinematic platformer crossed with Shadow Complex. Check out Giant Bomb's Quick Look.

War of the Worlds is annoying, but it looks amazing and the concept is great. Unfortunately it's let down by its poor animations.

Despera

Banned
A couple of pictures, a vid and a quick summary on what the game is like would be nice.

Keeping things simple is good, but this is a bit too extreme.

So this comes out today and I'm hearing references to Flashback and Out of this World.

Hook it to my veins. Buying today. I don't give a rat's about length. I could fly through Flashback in a couple of hours. OOTW in less.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I completed it in about 1 hour & 30 minutes roughly. Story is pretty bland plus the controls can be a little fiddely in certain sections but I enjoyed it. Don't think it honors being 1200 points though. Visually it's great though.

Uploaded the first 20 minutes through here.

ttocs

Even with the mediocre reviews, I'll still be picking it up. I need an excuse to turn on my 360 every now and then since it's been pretty dead since the Steam sale.

90 minutes? lmao

I love it when a game is pegged as being short. You immediately get the competing declarations of how short it really is.

I beat it in 4 hours. Short game!

Well, I beat it in 3 hours. Fucking awful.

Oh yeah? Well I beat it in 90 minutes!

Let's just get it over with guys. It's a 60 minute game.

Oh and I think the game is pretty terrible.

You said that in your first post.

90 minutes? lmao

I love it when a game is pegged as being short. You immediately get the competing declarations of how short it really is.

I beat it in 4 hours. Short game!

Well, I beat it in 3 hours. Fucking awful.

Oh yeah? Well I beat it in 90 minutes!

Let's just get it over with guys. It's a 60 minute game.

I don't know if it is competing as it is people sharing notes. The has a clock that shows in seconds and minutes how much time it took, so if people really wanted to go there, they could post pictures.

Top Bottom