• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadlight |OT|

bede-x

The demo is easily the best part of the game, just as a warning.

I was wondering about that, because from the demo it seems to live up to classics like Another World or Flashback(framerate issues aside), but it doesn't fare too well with reviewers(69 at Metacritic). Considering how good the demo was I kinda figured that something has to go wrong later on or that people today don't appreciate the cinematic platformer like they used to, which is fair enough, since they typically exhibit some pretty obvious flaws.

Is Deadlight bad/mediocre because of poor workmanship/design or because the flaws are less forgivable today? Regardless, I enjoyed the demo very much and will buy it tomorrow.

Just finished it... took me at least 4 to 5 hours to complete, even though the leaderboard is telling me 2 hours.

The game is a little rough around the edges; some inputs don't register occasionally, the zombies are awfully annoying and there are times when it just comes down to trial and error.

In terms of visuals and atmosphere, it might be right up there with LiMBO as far as XBLA games go. Absolutely gorgeous. I really enjoyed it, but I can understand why people might be a little upset about the 1200MSP, but really, most people spend more money on bullshit each week, so I think it's worth diving in.

The only real complaint I have about the game is the writing, specifically the Diary entries. May just be because the developer is located in Spain, but it's really, really bad in some places.

The story is forgettable, but it isn't the focus of a game like this imo. Reviewers trying to compare it to TWD are doing it wrong.

90 minutes? lmao

I love it when a game is pegged as being short. You immediately get the competing declarations of how short it really is.

I beat it in 4 hours. Short game!

Well, I beat it in 3 hours. Fucking awful.

Oh yeah? Well I beat it in 90 minutes!

Let's just get it over with guys. It's a 60 minute game.

Well I beat Homefront in 3 and half hours, although it was garbage....90mins for $15 seems like real good value in comparison :D

AHA-Lambda

The demo is easily the best part of the game, just as a warning. It goes rapidly downhill after about 45 minutes or so.

And this is what I was fearing from everything else I've heard =/

Guess I'm going to just skip it until a cheap sale comes along.

The only real complaint I have about the game is the writing.

This was the one bad point I thought from the demo, some of the writing there was pretty damn bad =s

Do NOT believe the bullshit about the 2hrs lenght.
It takes AT LEAST twice the time to actually beat the game.

For those freaked out by the "Time Played" counter in the menu, it is NOT accurate. I interviewed Raul Rubio, Tequila Works CEO and Creative Director on Deadlight, and after we stopped recording and started bullshitting he told me that the counter is a bug that will be fixed in a patch. Hopefully he doesn't get pissed off at me for saying that. :)

Check out the interview here if you're curious. It starts in the middle of the show somewhere (no timecodes handy, sorry). He actually has great stories about how the game was originally in black-and-white before Limbo came along, what Tim Schafer has to do with Deadlight, and more. Raul seems like a really cool, really humble dude.

Just finished it... took me at least 4 to 5 hours to complete, even though the leaderboard is telling me 2 hours.

and now we come back to reality about the length of the game........

I finished the first act earlier and it took me well over an hour to finish it.

Daigoro

I bought it and played about 1 1/2 hrs this morning before I had to quit. So far I'm enjoying it a lot. Looking forward to finishing it up.

Too bad about the leadboard issues.

For the record I disagree that the demo is the best part. I found the game got more enjoyable after the demo section personally.

mollipen

Problems with the displayed timer or not, the game's still short. It just ends up being however long it is for you depending on how quickly you can figure out the parts where a solution to progression might not be clear at first.

And I don't just mean short in terms of time—I mean short in terms of it feeling like the game just suddenly ends before it was meant to end.

Once again, reviewers are idiots. Just like Demon's Souls, SOCOM, and a million other great games.

If you don't like this game, you don't like gaming. Chill out and enjoy simple pleasures at their best. Play it at night!

mollipen

Once again, reviewers are idiots. Just like Demon's Souls, SOCOM, and a million other great games.

If you don't like this game, you don't like gaming. Chill out and enjoy simple pleasures at their best. Play it at night!

Different people have different tastes. I liked the game, but it's got some big problems.

All games have problems. But not all games let you just stand in the rain and watch the wind blows the trees around...and that is enough.

I'm just saying that a game like this getting such a low score and a game like Mass Effect 3 getting such great scores says something to me about an agenda to push bigger games and not give smaller games a chance (sometimes).

Thanks. Lovely to know I'm an idiot because I thought the level design and story was bad.

Fabrik

Banned
Tried the demo a bit last night. Amazing presentation and solid controls. But not sure I'll bite. I feel I played this game already. It doesn't seem to do anything new. Oddworld had new mechanics like Speech at least and an original universe.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
All games have problems. But not all games let you just stand in the rain and watch the wind blows the trees around...and that is enough.

I'm just saying that a game like this getting such a low score and a game like Mass Effect 3 getting such great scores says something to me about an agenda to push bigger games and not give smaller games a chance (sometimes).
Uhh, I don't think that's true at all. There have been many celebrated indie games released this year to very good scores.

Dyad, Spelunky, Sine Mora, Dust Force, Legend of Grimrock, Journey, Closure, Fez etc. All games released this year that did very well with the press.

I don't think it's fair to drag Mass Effect 3 into this simply because you're not happy with Deadlight scores. Mass Effect 3 is a solid game in its own right.

I'm loving Deadlight myself, but I don't think there is some conspiracy in play to bring it down. A lot of people were really excited for the game and were clearly disappointed with the end results.

Ocaso

Wow, what a great demo. A shame so many have stated the gameplay goes downhill after that since it has given me pause regarding a purchase. I suspect I'll wait for a sale or PC version.

For those complaining about play time, I think $15 for 4-5 hours of gameplay is reasonable. Though it varies by genre, one shouldn't forget that full price games are considered long at the 20 hour mark, with 10 hour campaigns not being all that rare. Obviously whether a game feels short or long may be a different issue, but we shouldnt penalize short games provided they're cheaper. I always use Portal as the reference. It wasn't short, it was the right length.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I am really excited about this game, have been for a while now. I was going to buy it the first chance I got, but then I looked at my backlog and was shamed into holding off. I will probably buy this game when it goes on sale for $10 or less.

For the record I would totally buy this at full price, but I just have so many arcade/indie games I still need to finish first (LIMBO, Trine 2, Superbrothers: Swords and Sorcery EP, Bastion, Psychonauts) that I can't justify getting this game just yet.

Soon_Car.jpg

Vee_One

This is one of my new fav games. I love a good 2D platformer, the art is gorgeous and it's a worthy throwback to 20 years ago

Galdelico

Is Deadlight bad/mediocre because of poor workmanship/design or because the flaws are less forgivable today?
I personally believe that's the case with Deadlight.

Nothing - apart that weird profile/HDD error message and one single glitchy fall when I was messing around a platform - seems to me badly designed/developed.

I loved Deadlight, and its way to constantly reminding me of Another World's and classic Prince of Persia's mechanics.
Sure, the game progression is linear - if you just try and pick the alternate path you won't get anything if not a bonus 'room' with its little reward - but the game has never been presented as the next metroidvania... So sad people may believe to other people whining 'awww, it's not my Shadow Complex 2 that I totally made up Deadlight would have been! I hate it! It's sooo bad!'
Tequila's game seems to expect the player to follow a certain rythm and use alot of precision, while playing: some platforming needs a good amount of calibration (just to say... Don't expect any kind of lock on to any object) but the controls never failed me. There's some tricky trial'n error, here and here, but I've seen so much worse in AAA retail masterpieces.

Also, why the melee and gunfire should be classified as bad/frustrating? If you just run forward, mindlessly swinging your axe, you'll be quickly out of stamina and overwhelmed by the zombies but... Where exactly is this bad or unfair? Especially since the game usually leaves the player a few other ways to come out of an unconvenient situation.
Really, the last few minutes of Deadlight - which I'm sure so many people will hate with a passion - are a proper love letter to Eric Chahi, in my opinion (no spoilers here, I'm not talking about actual contents).

Hmmm Has anybody picked up on this, I found an ID, the name on it was : Karla L Homolka.

From wiki page said:
Karla Leanne Homolka, also known as Karla Leanne Teale and Leanne Bordelais (born 4 May 1970 in Port Credit, Ontario, Canada), is a convicted Canadian serial killer. She attracted worldwide media attention when she was convicted of manslaughter following a plea bargain in the 1991 and 1992 rape-murders of two Ontario teenage girls, Leslie Mahaffy and Kristen French, as well as the rape and death of her own sister Tammy.[2]

Wiki Entry

That shit freaked me out(She probably one of the most well known serial killer here in canada)

Galdelico

Hmmm Has anybody picked up on this, I found an ID, the name on it was : Karla L Homolka.

Wiki Entry

That shit freaked me out(She probably one of the most well known serial killer here in canada)
It's well known.
From Tequila: “ALL the IDs belong to famous serial killers. It’s a private joke about madness and how serial killers may be mostly the most prepared to survive a zombie outbreak.”

Syriel

Wiki Entry

From the WorthPlaying review:

WorthPlaying said:
The focus on death and depravity even extends to the collectibles hidden throughout the game. Some of the items you can pick up are ID cards from dead bodies. Each and every one features the name of a notorious serial killer from the past century. You're not likely to realize it on the first pick-up, but after the second and third names appear on your screen, the realization dawns fairly quickly. Highlighting the names of such killers is disturbing on some level, but at that same time, that is the point of Deadlight. While it occasionally comes across as exploitative, the game is not shy about highlighting the worst aspects of man.

It's pretty obvious once you start playing (though Homolka's ID isn't the first to find in terms of progression) so I'd expect most reviewers would have noticed it, even if they don't call it out specifically in their reviews.

IIRC, the first two I found were John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer.

In most games such a focus on the depraved members of society might have seemed out of place and having a mass-murderer currently front and center in the news headlines these days helps raise the question of focus, but for Deadlight it works. With everything that the game is trying to convey, it is another layer to the horror.

Really, the last few minutes of Deadlight - which I'm sure so many people will hate with a passion - are a proper love letter to Eric Chahi, in my opinion (no spoilers here, I'm not talking about actual contents).

That section might be a love letter to Eric Chahi, but it's scrawled onto the living room wall in wax crayon.

There's one particular thing in Deadlight that really annoys me, which can only be put down to bad (or lazy) design. It's a very minor thing, of basically no importance at all, but it just says "we don't care." A whole bunch of things in the game aren't solid. When you get your slingshot, you can shoot it at ceilings or at walls on the side of levels, and a lot of the time your projectile won't bounce off, it'll just go right through and arc down as if the ceiling/wall wasn't there. As I say, it's of no importance at all, but all I can picture are developers going "ah, players probably won't interact with that, I can't really be bothered to make it properly."

randomwab

Just finished it and thought it was wonderful. Great atmosphere, decent gameplay and a predictable but enjoyable (and a lot of the time well presented) story. I really hope people play this because it's up there with Limbo, Braid and BC:R in terms of sidescrolling games on XBLA.

Krilekk

Banned
Yes, it's a great game. Been playing it all day and I am now near the end after about five hours. It's trial & error but it's not worse than Limbo or similar games. Controls are fantastic, graphics are gorgeous and while the game is linear and the story shallow it still has that "just one more time" appeal to reach the next area. It's demanding but at the same time rewarding. It's a great puzzle platformer.

daevv

I was dying at every shadow encounter during the second half as I wanted to conserve my 38 special and shotgun ammo. I decided that since I'm gonna have to reload the checkpoint anyway I would go into a area with guns blazing then take my time to find a way to the next room/area, then I would reload the checkpoint and do it without the guns :)

Yes, it's a great game. Been playing it all day and I am now near the end after about five hours. It's trial & error but it's not worse than Limbo or similar games.

It's far worse than LIMBO for trial and error. LIMBO isn't trial and error at all, everything in LIMBO you can see/hear coming if you're careful.

In Deadlight you walk into a building and it collapses and it's impossible to predict.

Daigoro

beat it today and got 400/400. pretty easy 400 pts. there were a couple of annoying/troublesome spots, but nothing overwhelming. i enjoyed my time with the game.

a solid B game (this is no C level game). it had its issues, but i liked it. i think it was probably around the right length. too much longer would have been overkill for me honestly. another 20-30 minutes tops and i wouldve gotten bored.

i can see not wanting to spend $15 on it and waiting for a sale, probably a good idea. but i was fine paying for it.

ArjanN

It's far worse than LIMBO for trial and error. LIMBO isn't trial and error at all, everything in LIMBO you can see/hear coming if you're careful.

In Deadlight you walk into a building and it collapses and it's impossible to predict.

Nah, Limbo also has plenty of trial and error and stuff that kills you out of nowhere the first time.

Grimsen

Beat the game today. Really good stuff. Planning on replaying this weekend.

After reading the diary, which I haven't completed, i get the weird feeling that
Randall is a serial killer.

There are two pages that mention the two hippie girls that came back to the mountain, and he writes "I can't stop myself from defending it. My homeland. I am an animal that defends its territory. I'm in charge and the vermin finish the job."

He also hates people, had a tough childhood, collected Karla's hair as a reminder (nothing indicates that he killed her before she was zombied, but it's weird), has fucked up dreams and drawings in his diary, especially the one with the two dead kittens, which occured before he killed his wife and child. Also, y'know, he killed his family rather easily.

Anyways, nothing really factual, just a weird feeling.

Galdelico

Anyways, nothing really factual, just a weird feeling.
Well,
Randall, Randy, Wayne... They are all names of real serial killers, as well as the IDs you can find on the way. And about those girls, I had the same feeling: first thing I thought has been 'wtf, did he just kill them?'

Grisby

Been playing in spurts. Yeah, I'm still enjoying Deadlight as it's scratching that Shadow Complex itch nicely. The trail and error deaths are getting a bit annoying but nothing too bad.

Well I finished it yesterday and I'd say it took 5 to 6 hours. Up until the end, and I guess even now that it's over, it's felt like the first episode of a series. I don't know why. I totally saw the ending coming, too. So predictable. Anyway, I liked it and if it shows up on Steam one day I'll buy it again.

luffeN

I think that all of you saying that it took 4 to 5 hours read all the diary pages while playing? I finished the game today, took me 1 hour 45 minutes (didn't read the diary) and i have a completion rate of 75%.

I think that all of you saying that it took 4 to 5 hours read all the diary pages while playing? I finished the game today, took me 1 hour 45 minutes (didn't read the diary) and i have a completion rate of 75%.

Nah, I read maybe one. Once I finished I went back to read all of them. My completion rate is 95%, if I'm remembering right.

You're not basing your time on what the game is telling you, are you? I'm pretty sure as of now it's reporting wrong times.

luffeN

Nah, I read maybe one. Once I finished I went back to read all of them. My completion rate is 95%, if I'm remembering right.

You're not basing your time on what the game is telling you, are you? I'm pretty sure as of now it's reporting wrong times.

Well, when you go to leaderboards in the menu it says 1:45:xx for me, so yes, I am basing it on that. But it felt longer than that, so maybe 3 to 4 hours.

Wiki Entry

I picked up a couple IDs, but didn't notice the names -- I'm very bad about paying attention to the details on things like that. I did notice Arthur L. Allen, and thought it was a strange reference to make. But since Karla Homolka was used as well, I think I'll start paying attention to the details of what I'm picking up.

Edit: After playing a bit more of the game, I checked the other IDs I found. So far I have Aileen Wurnos, Ottis Toole and Richard Chase. It's an interesting selection of serial killers. I wonder if it means anything.

-GJ-

I don't think a speed run of Braid is a valid comparison. Braid will have taken most people hours on their first run-through because of the time it took to figure out the puzzles. I eventually speed-ran Braid in about 37 minutes but that was literally running through the entire game perfectly from start to finish. First time through it took me about 6-7 hours.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say here. The game only counts the playtime without deaths. It took me about 5 hours to complete for the first time, while the ingame clock said I played 1 hour and 58 minutes. I played through the game twice more, one time for the collectibles and one time as a speedrun (1 hour and 8 minutes). The only comparison I'm trying to make is the one that you are defending with your post.

Grisby

Man, two big trail and error levels back to back was kind of testing my patience. Cinematic gameplay doesn't work so well when you've failed over and over and over. It's not enough to where I would quit the level and come back but it was just enough not to be fun anymore.

Game has some great atmosphere though and it really does feel like a 2D survival horror at points thanks to the low ammo count and the fact that if you get swarmed you're dead.

Top Bottom