• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadlight |OT|

I don't know if it is competing as it is people sharing notes. The has a clock that shows in seconds and minutes how much time it took, so if people really wanted to go there, they could post pictures.

Yes, but any rational person could also note, as you did earlier, that the in game clock really isn't that accurate. So what would be the point of that?

-GJ-

I don't get why people are complaining about the length, while a game like Braid can be completed in less than 45 minutes :/. That people have 1 hour and 30 minutes on the clock doesn't mean that they actually played 1 hour and 30 minutes, as the in-game clock doesn't count the time of your deaths and everytime you retry it. I played through the game twice now and I got about 8 hours of entertainment out of it, for only $12 bucks. In Holland we pay more than that to see a movie that's only 1,5 hours long.

I'd say just get the game if you like the trailers. You'll probably love it. I play a game because of the experience, the feeling it gives me, not because it's long or short.

Yes, but any rational person could also note, as you did earlier, that the in game clock really isn't that accurate. So what would be the point of that?

An easy way to scare people away from buying the game. It's an. Easier way to make sure people buy it then do a well thought out reasoning as to why the game is bad, as people put far too much weight on game length these days.

An easy way to scare people away from buying the game. It's an. Easier way to make sure people buy it then do a well thought out reasoning as to why the game is bad, as people put far too much weight on game length these days.

Yes, exactly, and that's why people post these exceeding low completion time claims, but now I'm confused. Your previous reply seemed to suggest you believed these 90 minute completion claims. So which is it?

Yes, exactly, and that's why people post these exceeding low completion time claims, but now I'm confused. Your previous reply seemed to suggest you believed these 90 minute completion claims. So which is it?

If I came out sounding like I supported a 90 minute experience, then it was wrong and me being a idiot with words. In theory you could probably hit my actual completion time of two hours if you played perfectly, but I just used it during my post in the other thread because I had no idea how much time I had invested in actually playing the game, due to playing ten minutes and then going away for an hour and so on, so I used the game clock to get a basic idea of where it was in terms of length.

If that came off as a "dur, game is an hour" then I'm an idiot. Because its closer to the three/four mark depending on how quick you are with puzzles and so on.

I have no problem paying full price for a game that's short (even remarkably so) if the game looks like it will be an exceptional experience (Journey, for example). On the other hand, when the quality of the game is also a bit of a question mark the length does become somewhat of a factor to me. As of right now I'm squarely on the fence with Deadlight.

Gowans

I played the trial up to
the electricity zapping zombies

I love the art style and atmosphere and it did give me Flashback feelings but looking on the leaderboard and seeing a friends time at just over an hour for completion and it being £10 managed to put me off for now, plenty of other games to play.

Majora

I think the leaderboard clock is busted. It says I've only been playing for 30 minutes and there is simply no way that it true. I'd say at least double to triple that.

Majora

I don't get why people are complaining about the length, while a game like Braid can be completed in less than 45 minutes :/

I don't think a speed run of Braid is a valid comparison. Braid will have taken most people hours on their first run-through because of the time it took to figure out the puzzles. I eventually speed-ran Braid in about 37 minutes but that was literally running through the entire game perfectly from start to finish. First time through it took me about 6-7 hours.

I don't think a speed run of Braid is a valid comparison. Braid will have taken most people hours on their first run-through because of the time it took to figure out the puzzles. I eventually speed-ran Braid in about 37 minutes but that was literally running through the entire game perfectly from start to finish. First time through it took me about 6-7 hours.
Yeah, I love when people use speed run times to talk about how short a game is.

"Metal Gear Solid 3 is like 4 hours long!" :p

apesh1t

Banned
so is this a yes or a no? I really like the graphics and I have like 760 in MS points anyways. I just got Tony hawk last night and was pretty bored with it after about an hour.

Plissken

I don't get why people are complaining about the length, while a game like Braid can be completed in less than 45 minutes :/. That people have 1 hour and 30 minutes on the clock doesn't mean that they actually played 1 hour and 30 minutes, as the in-game clock doesn't count the time of your deaths and everytime you retry it. I played through the game twice now and I got about 8 hours of entertainment out of it, for only $12 bucks. In Holland we pay more than that to see a movie that's only 1,5 hours long.

I'd say just get the game if you like the trailers. You'll probably love it. I play a game because of the experience, the feeling it gives me, not because it's long or short.

I feel the same, completion time is meaningless to me as long as the experience is worth it. Journey is at best 2 hours long, and that game gave me a better experience than quite a few full priced games I have played this year.

I think the leaderboard clock is busted. It says I've only been playing for 30 minutes and there is simply no way that it true. I'd say at least double to triple that.

It doesn't count your deaths. When you go back to a checkpoint it resets the timer to where it was the first time you were at the checkpoint, so the rest of the time you've just spent dying.

Ricker

I thought it sounded cool, but the price turned me off, as well as in some ways the gameplay.

It reminded me of I am Alive.

Please someone tell us it's nothing like I am Alive,I hated that game with a passion and I don't want to download an almost 2 gig trial to find out...from the video's I have seen(nothing big since I didn't want to get spoiled)it looked more like a Shank type game with less action and more atmosphere?

Majora

It doesn't count your deaths. When you go back to a checkpoint it resets the timer to where it was the first time you were at the checkpoint, so the rest of the time you've just spent dying.

It still doesn't feel that short to me really, I feel like the timer isn't counting other stuff besides retries.

Talking about the length so much is kind of missing the bigger picture though, which is that the game isn't very good. It impresses with the visuals and atmosphere at first but the further into it I get the less I like it. It's repetitive, trial and error and bland. The dialogue is awful and the controls feel unresponsive The only thing keeping me playing is the visuals but now I'm underground so there aren't really any great vistas at the moment either. It's a C-grade game flattering to deceive with its presentation.

I'm stuck in the first Act. I'm in this building, and the cursor is showing above me in this room, but I can't seem to get up there.

Any tips?

I'm stuck in the first Act. I'm in this building, and the cursor is showing above me in this room, but I can't seem to get up there.

Any tips?

Have you tried jumping towards the middle of the room to see if there's a hard-to-see platform there?

Failing that, can you wall jump to it?

Galdelico

Played the game til the point when
Rat and his son are finally reunited
Honestly, I fail to understand why this game should be bad or not even worth a try for so many reviewers...

Aside from the metascores, I find stuff like

- a painfully generic story and frustratingly imprecise controls

- frustrating player and enemy design makes discerning one from the other close to impossible in a fight

- sluggish controls

kind of false and misleading for the reader.

Lima

Just finished it. Took me about 5 hours to get through with 100%.

Probably one of my favorite games on the service. The atmosphere was great, the music really added a lot to that.

Graphics are beautiful and I for one liked the story.

This is my kind of game.

Where did you see this or are you just assuming?

It popped up in the Steam registry, but so did Iron Brigade a long time ago and that game is still not out. If Microsoft says no then it will not come to Steam.

AHA-Lambda

Tried the demo and I enjoyed it, but the length, middling reviews and price are putting me off here =/

May just wait for a sale.

daevv

I didn't get very far into the demo before quiting out and buying the game. I don't do that very often.

Mdk7

Do NOT believe the bullshit about the 2hrs lenght.
It takes AT LEAST twice the time to actually beat the game.

Oh and BTW i strongly agree with Lima, i fucking loved it.

Syriel

The leaderboard clock only covers actual game time on a successful run.

Deaths, retries, etc -- none of that counts in the leaderboard time. Plus, time is broken down by checkpont, so if you have a poor time on one segment, you can just tackle that to improve your overall standing.

If you're an achievement hunter, Deadlight may just be the easiest XBLA title to 400/400. No real effort to getting them.

WorthPlaying Review: 6.5/10

WorthPlaying.com said:
It's obvious that Deadlight is a game that was born of passion. It's not perfect, but it is by no means a cookie-cutter cash grab. Given the short length, limited replay value and 1,200 MSP ($15 USD) price point, it is difficult to recommend across the board. For genre fans, though, Deadlight is a refreshing take on the zombie trope and an experience that stands on its own.

randomwab

I'm embarrassingly stuck in a section of the ratman area. I'm in the part which is sort of his home, and there's an elevator which I can activate with the slingshot. When I get to the top, he reveals another button, but it just lowers the elevator again. I'm actually completely oblivious as to what to do. Any help?

Syriel

I'm embarrassingly stuck in a section of the ratman area. I'm in the part which is sort of his home, and there's an elevator which I can activate with the slingshot. When I get to the top, he reveals another button, but it just lowers the elevator again. I'm actually completely oblivious as to what to do. Any help?

When elevator is down, push box onto it.

Raise elevator.

Push box all the way to left.

Climb on box.

Jump to the left.

delta25

Banned
Spent about 15 minutes with this game and at this point the game is incredible based just on the the atmosphere, art/design and sound, the game play works for what it is but is defiantly not the reason people should play this game.

Demo put me off. Character controls like he's bogged down in treacle. Reminds me of Flashback on the Amiga. But that had an excuse for feeling sluggish. Looks pretty, but it ain't the Metroidvania zombie game I was led to believe it would be. Might pick it up if it drops to 600 someday.

Majora

The demo is easily the best part of the game, just as a warning. It goes rapidly downhill after about 45 minutes or so, with one bad idea after another. It has some of the worst, most frustrating trial and error gameplay I've experienced in years. The problem is that when they up the intensity it really shows up the poor control responsiveness and consistently flawed level design that relies on you knowing what's about to happen. There's the potential for something great, and occasionally they reach it, but they drop the ball time and time again.

It popped up in the Steam registry, but so did Iron Brigade a long time ago and that game is still not out. If Microsoft says no then it will not come to Steam.
Yeah I'm pretty sure to be part of Summer of Arcade there is at least a 6 month exclusivity window.

delta25

Banned
but it ain't the Metroidvania zombie game I was led to believe it would be. Might pick it up if it drops to 600 someday.

If you had paid a bit more attention to this game you would have easily figured out long ago that Deadlight was never meant to be looked at as Metroidvania type game.
From the get-go the devs continually stressed the importance for people not to expect a Metroidvania type experience but rather a narrative driving puzzle platformer set in a "2D" world

Yeah I'm pretty sure to be part of Summer of Arcade there is at least a 6 month exclusivity window.

It's a 30 day window usually, but that doesn't necessarily mean a game will come out in 30 days. I'd expect Tony Hawk to, but Deadlight hasn't even been hinted at for a Steam release, has it? People could be waiting a hell of a long time for it.

If you had paid a bit more attention to this game you would have easily figured out long ago that Deadlight was never meant to be looked at as Metroidvania type game.
From the get-go the devs continually stressed the importance for people not to expect a Metroidvania type experience but rather a narrative driving puzzle platformer set in a "2D" world

I saw a trailer a while back, that's it. Tried it today and I think it's bad. The gameplay is slow, unresponsive and inaccurate.

The fact that I expected it to be a Metroidvania and am disappointed that it isn't doesn't change that.

Lima

Why do you give a shit about reviews, especially with XBLA titles?

Just try the demo and see if you like it. Then you either buy it or you don't.

Ryan_IGN

For those freaked out by the "Time Played" counter in the menu, it is NOT accurate. I interviewed Raul Rubio, Tequila Works CEO and Creative Director on Deadlight, and after we stopped recording and started bullshitting he told me that the counter is a bug that will be fixed in a patch. Hopefully he doesn't get pissed off at me for saying that. :)

Check out the interview here if you're curious. It starts in the middle of the show somewhere (no timecodes handy, sorry). He actually has great stories about how the game was originally in black-and-white before Limbo came along, what Tim Schafer has to do with Deadlight, and more. Raul seems like a really cool, really humble dude.

For those freaked out by the "Time Played" counter in the menu, it is NOT accurate. I interviewed Raul Rubio, Tequila Works CEO and Creative Director on Deadlight, and after we stopped recording and started bullshitting he told me that the counter is a bug that will be fixed in a patch. Hopefully he doesn't get pissed off at me for saying that. :)

People keep saying this but I've seen no evidence of it in my own game. My stages are all around a couple of minutes, up to about five, and they all felt like they were that long. I don't think there's anything wrong with the timer at all aside from it not counting when you die, anything around an hour or so on the leaderboard seems accurate.

Top Bottom