• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

This would probably be a great time to remind everyone that PS3 is region free.

UK version is fine. Well, framerate sucks, but I figure that's just because this game is technically garbage and always has been.

Haven't seen any bugs, though.

Wonder how the UK ver. compares to the upcoming NA ver ...

VXLbeast

Okay, everyone's been talking about the worse framerate, but what about the improved framerate?!

The map/inventory screen runs at 60 FPS (for the most part) now! It's way more responsive.

Here's a video I recorded as evidence:
http://www.viddler.com/v/cc9dd300

As you can tell by the video, it seriously freaked me out. :p

You're excitement in this video is infectious, lol.

Intrigued by this game. Never played it and thinking about giving it a go.

Anbec7

NeoGAF did it again, you kinda convinced me

I went for the digital route (getting this game in Mexico would be impossible)
Anyway if I bought it digital do I get something? DLC?

I love this kind of games can´t wait till it finishes downloading :)

Sloane

Banned
Don't hurry to much to buy it... I bought it and it's a pretty lame version. :(

Why that? First the framerate, beetween 15 or 20 fps, and second, there are plenty of bugs.
German translation is fucked up, too, the language is all over the place (some parts are fine, others seem to be done by Google Translator), sometimes it skips from German to Dutch or whatever -- I don't need subtitles but it's still incredibly lame. Already had the game crash twice too, so, yeah... not sure if I should continue playing right now, sound seems to be off a bit, too, from time to time. Framerate is bad but that's probably what bothers me the least.

Not sure how this is possible, wasn't the DC announced like a year ago? I know the game always was a trainwreck but it seems to have gotten worse not better with the DC?

SmithnCo

I might try Move tomorrow. Did all the side quests that are doable at chapter 2 so far. I could see it making shooting way easier/less floaty, though I'd probably rather just use a dualshock and the infinite wrench, lol.

Locke_211

This is triggering my side-quest anxiety! I got the one from the sherrif in Chapter 2, but can't complete it as he's not at the police station any more. I guess I need to wait for him to return there later!

randomwab

For anyone wondering if there'll be a difference between the NA and PAL release, don't bet on it. All the issues reported by people on this version were present in the vanilla Japanese PS3 release of Red Seeds Profile; the janky framerate, the weird graphical glitches and audio hiccups. It's a barely modified version of the original game so unless it's a PS3 model specific issue, expect the same stuff.

If you don't have the game already though, it's still absolutely worth it and still very much playable. If you can though, I think I'd still recommend the 360 version played on Easy or Normal though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Should I get the digital version or retail version? I can get the digital version now because I have no idea when the retail version will arrive in my local store and it's going to be cheaper on digital. Problem is I vastly prefer retail games.

TripleSun

Should I get the digital version or retail version? I can get the digital version now because I have no idea when the retail version will arrive in my local store and it's going to be cheaper on digital. Problem is I vastly prefer retail games.

If you have anything else to do for a few days, I'd order it, but im bias since i love physical copies. My copy will be here by Thursday.

UK version is fine. Well, framerate sucks, but I figure that's just because this game is technically garbage and always has been.

Haven't seen any bugs, though.

I have to agree. UK version seems ok.

Really enjoying this game. I've only finished the Prologue, but I can safely say that this will be one of my favourite games ever.

Also, I recommend Suda51's Flower, Sun and Rain to any fans of DP, as they are both Twin Peaks inspired broken yet amazing experiences.

So I never quite finished this on 360, and just accidentally stumbled on a "killer spoiler".

Fortunately, it's exactly who I suspected after
a couple of hours or less play
, but that seemed so obvious that I was hoping for a twist! But still...I shall keep going, because it's glorious. Jankily glorious and beautifully odd.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
So I never quite finished this on 360, and just accidentally stumbled on a "killer spoiler".

Fortunately, it's exactly who I suspected after
a couple of hours or less play
, but that seemed so obvious that I was hoping for a twist! But still...I shall keep going, because it's glorious. Jankily glorious and beautifully odd.

Onward and forth! And, if its the spoiler I think it is, and this is a spoiler in a non-spoiler way, (non-spoiler vaugeness spoiler)
there's a lot more to it that I suspect you don't expect, but will not say any more than that.

Woah at the river, that has to be a bug right? Looking at it side by side it does seem to be a bit less aliased, and some of the textures look better although it's not as clear as some of the interiors I've seen footage of. And the removal of the slime filter is quite nice I think, don't really remember that being so prevalent in the 360 version though. Am I just forgetting it? But still, what is up with that river. Wow.

jgminto

I didn't really mind the green filter in the 360 version, it gave the town a nice look. It's not as obvious when it isn't compared to the DC. The purple in the shadow areas got pretty bad though.

MBison

I'm gonna start this for the first time ever when my DC gets here tomorrow. I hate missing side quests, is there anything I should know about making sure I am able to do as many quests as I can do?

Woah at the river, that has to be a bug right? Looking at it side by side it does seem to be a bit less aliased, and some of the textures look better although it's not as clear as some of the interiors I've seen footage of. And the removal of the slime filter is quite nice I think, don't really remember that being so prevalent in the 360 version though. Am I just forgetting it? But still, what is up with that river. Wow.

I just went out back at the hotel, and the water effect is present & correct there.

Jay Sosa

I'm gonna start this for the first time ever when my DC gets here tomorrow. I hate missing side quests, is there anything I should know about making sure I am able to do as many quests as I can do?

yes, pay close attention to the journal and what chapter you're in.

Also, has anyone notice that the car frame rate in this version appears to be 60, particularly on open roads. Then it crashes dramatically at the merest hint of civilisation! :)

randomwab

I think the water effect is tied to the distance that the Level of Detail settings on the PS3 are set to, which overall seem much shorter than on the 360.

Well, Gamestop said they don't have a release date so I can't preorder it, but they were getting 4 copies in today and 3 are already reserved so figure that out. Not super happy about it but I went digital. Played about an hour. Found a few cards, shuttered in horror and the car handling, good times.

The ONLY thing left to do is figure out how to unlock that catsuit for Emily.

It's not out on EU PSN, despite being listed for today & despite everything else having been updated for the week.

It's it doesn't make it up today, it's obvious that the EU branch has said "patch or we're not selling". The "technical issues" mentioned in the email announcing the delay aren't going to be because it"s mysteriously hard to upload.

So this directors cut has worse framerate than the 360 version or the same?

Oh, much worse. Areas with a lot on screen sometimes cause the XMB to stutter should you press the PS button at that point. Main town areas and the
junkyard
can drop to slideshow territory under the right circumstances. The latter probably reached ago 5fps when moving the camera.

vocab

Great. Glad I wasted my money. I think I'm done buying remakes, and ports because the ones I was interested in turned out to garbage.

I'm disappointed how little they "improved" given how long they had to work on it.
And so far I am not loving the additional cut scenes. Sad that a re-release of a game, which is several years old, still seriously needs a couple patches.

Oh well... life is beautiful.

Great. Glad I wasted my money.

If it's any consolation, I expect a patch soon & I'm still finding it - mostly - more playable than the 360 version. I'll live with a generally inferior frame rate for its other advantages if they can fix the very worst areas. Given the way it drops and the certainty it'll do so under less than demanding circumstances, it feels like something they could put right with a little bit of assistance from pro-developers or a technical support line. Like...it's bizarre and - as you can only speculate without being able peek under the hood - feels to me as though there's some bad code that needs purging rather than the game collapsing under the weight of its engine.

vocab

Given on how much time they had with this, what a fucking joke. I passed up soul sacrifice to support this. What a mistake.

Persona86

Banned
It's not out on EU PSN, despite being listed for today & despite everything else having been updated for the week.

It's it doesn't make it up today, it's obvious that the EU branch has said "patch or we're not selling". The "technical issues" mentioned in the email announcing the delay aren't going to be because it"s mysteriously hard to upload.

Hope your right about the patch.

Necrovex

After reading all of this thread, I am seriously considering holding off from buying DP, and switching my money over to Tales of Xillia. At the very least, I have to support it because it's a JRPG (plus I love Tales of games).

Well then, I'm not buying this currently.

It's a shame for those involved; The game has actual characterization, I bought it for 360 despite still not having the system, and I was a big supporter of it. Back in the day, the corrections I emailed to asia.playstation.com were enacted for their Red Seeds Profile listing.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How is it even possible to make a game with tech like Deadly Premonition WORSE ?

even the JP Version of Red Seeds Profile was the same as the 360 version at least ..

it's a shame the added content wasn't made available to the 360 version as DLC or something.

Great. Glad I wasted my money. I think I'm done buying remakes, and ports because the ones I was interested in turned out to garbage.

How is it even possible to make a game with tech like Deadly Premonition WORSE ?

even the JP Version of Red Seeds Profile was the same as the 360 version at least ..

PS3 Red Seed had an inferior frame rate, but anyway, this is running at a higher resolution & is drawing more on screen at a time due to the adjusted FOV. There's no excuse for how poorly it runs in places, but there are a couple of reasons as to why.

dreamfall

So, should I cancel the order, and dig up the 360 copy instead?

I wanted to support this- but if the framerate is even worse than the original in some places, and the game is technically messy, is it worth it?

Alfredo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO-wpZodKhk&feature=player_embedded

Red Seed (jap vers.) no framerate issues, same like 360.

Incredible they even was able to worst something ALREADY runs well on the same machine...lol.

lol. I wouldn't say Red Seeds Profile ran well on the PS3. It was clearly inferior to the Xbox 360 version. The thing that stood out most in the original PS3 version were the audio issues. Stuttering and echo. Some (if not all) of those issues seem to be intact for the Director's Cut.

But, anyway, I've only played through the first two chapters in the Director's Cut, but I think game is fine. No, it doesn't run fine. Believe me, I'm one of the biggest framerate whores for console games out there. But considering how janky Deadly Premonition was originally, I don't think it detracts from the experience that much.

It's not like the framerate really affects the gameplay that much, because the gameplay wasn't very compelling in the first place. The controls are better than they were originally, and the combat is way easier.

The story is still there. The writing is still there. The characters are still there. The soundtrack is still there (and the bad audio mix is still there!). These are the things that Deadly Premonition was celebrated for. It was never the graphics or gameplay.

I can understand that maybe this is disappointing for first time Deadly Premonition players. It seems they've been victims of the hype.

I'll keep playing. I'll come back if my opinions drastically change. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO-wpZodKhk&feature=player_embedded

Red Seed (jap vers.) no framerate issues, same like 360.

Incredible they even was able to worst something ALREADY runs well on the same machine...lol.

Nope, you've linked to the 360 version. Check again.

Here's a better comparison:

Driving on the 360:

(about 1:30 in)

http://youtu.be/tQPptfYuvGo

Driving on PS3:

http://youtu.be/bjuVRA-BwRE

The PS3 player doesn't move the camera so it's not as easy to tell (you'll get maybe 5-10fps looking behind yourself in car, in town) but if you pay attention to the scenery, you can tell without trouble that it is running at a considerably lower clip. It's fine on open roads, but goes to shit when there's more on screen, unlike the 360 iteration.

Solidino

I don't get the graphics, i can even play Atari games today if i want, but in this case it's different, it's a rip off for the customers (like me) that believed in this dir. cut.

The framerate issues in videogames are the EVIL, better to have tearing and smoothing game experience.

sorry for bad english.

Top Bottom