• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Jay Sosa

Wall ladies are meant to be burned not shot. You wait till the almost attack and then burn them. Just be sure to not get to close.

God this game is fun,just love the story but what's the deal with shaving?
Shave or not to shave
York's facial hair actually grows if you don't shave, I was quite impressed by that.
I was cleaning up a bunch of side quests at the end of the game and went on for many days without shaving, tried to grow a full beard but was disappointed that it is not impossible.

Bittercup

Bittercup

Ugh, side quest hell!
I'm trying to do My Pot is Cold #4 and I can't get there fast enough!
Stupid map...
For the last two pot quests York's car is really helpful. For the 4th I used one of the Pre-Order cars that was already faster, for the 5th I think York's Car is even mandatory (because I was too slow even with the DLC-car).

Ugh, side quest hell!
I'm trying to do My Pot is Cold #4 and I can't get there fast enough!
Stupid map...

Wait until
Cold Pot #5, getting from Harry's Mansion to Sigourney's house was impossible for me, fortunately she also appears near the Wood Path, which was doable. Each quest she appears in one of two possible locations (she appears in one during the day, and in the other one during the night), for #4 it's either in the Community Center or the Forest Keeper's Cabin, so give both a try.

For the last two pot quests York's car is really helpful. For the 4th I used one of the Pre-Order cars that was already faster, for the 5th I think York's Car is even mandatory (because I was too slow even with the DLC-car).

Wait until
Cold Pot #5, getting from Harry's Mansion to Sigourney's house was impossible for me, fortunately she also appears near the Wood Path, which was doable. Each quest she appears in one of two possible locations (she appears in one during the day, and in the other one during the night), for #4 it's either in the Community Center or the Forest Keeper's Cabin, so give both a try.
Thanks for the tips!
I have York's car, which is awesome, but I had such a hard time planning out a good route, that even the car's speed didn't matter. I wish they'd let you try again right away. That's good to know about the rotating locations, I failed on the Forest Keeper's Cabin, so maybe I'll try the other one.

Okay 100%'d this great game and have some questions that maybe you guys could fill that I'm not that clear on or if people could just share their own analysis opinions, so spoilers ahoy.

So York and Zach are one in the same. Like same person. But who is the original "person"? I got the feeling that in the epilogue that Francis "Zach" Morgan was the real Morgan and Francis "York" Morgan is his alternate persona. Or at some point at the end York became 100% Zach and York in turn became the alternate persona. Like when Emily died, York died to be with her leaving only Zach left to take over. This is the impression I got.

Just what are the zombies creatures? The card says they are lost souls seeking vengeance or something like that. I had initially thought that all of the Otherworld happenings and zombies where all in York's head but then when we play as Emily she can see them too. I never got the feeling it was being caused by the purple mist.

How does Kaysen know about Zach? When York transforms into Zach at the end Kaysen says "You!? How did you get out of the red room" isn't all that stuff in York's head? How does he know about that?

What was Kaysen's real goal. Besides the George plot, what reason does Kaysen have to lead York on in the end? Is he just testing power of the seeds and mist for the military? If he is trying to protect the secret of Greenvale why does he do half of what he does at the end. Also is the game implying that Kaysen is already immortal because the "kaysen" look a like from the 1950's.

How does York find the files in the lake. Does he really make a humongous leap of faith from the coffee cup to go to the falls and instinctively know where to fish to pull out the files on the first attempt. Is coffee that godlike?

Necrovex

Okay 100%'d this great game and have some questions that maybe you guys could fill that I'm not that clear on or if people could just share their own analysis opinions, so spoilers ahoy.

So York and Zach are one in the same. Like same person. But who is the original "person"? I got the feeling that in the epilogue that Francis "Zach" Morgan was the real Morgan and Francis "York" Morgan is his alternate persona. Or at some point at the end York became 100% Zach and York in turn became the alternate persona. Like when Emily died, York died to be with her leaving only Zach left to take over. This is the impression I got.

It's been a while since I played this game, but I can answer this question.
Zach is the real personality. York appeared after Zach's tramutic experience with losing his parents. York is the alternate personality; he is the "fake" personality.

Alfredo

Just finished the Director's Cut. Oh man...OH MAN. I want a Deadly Premonition 2 so bad... Please make it happen, Swery!

I hope the initial negative reception of the Director's Cut due to performance issues doesn't affect the likelihood of DP2.

I'll have a review of this game soon. :p

Bittercup

Just what are the zombies creatures? The card says they are lost souls seeking vengeance or something like that. I had initially thought that all of the Otherworld happenings and zombies where all in York's head but then when we play as Emily she can see them too. I never got the feeling it was being caused by the purple mist.

How does Kaysen know about Zach? When York transforms into Zach at the end Kaysen says "You!? How did you get out of the red room" isn't all that stuff in York's head? How does he know about that?

What was Kaysen's real goal. Besides the George plot, what reason does Kaysen have to lead York on in the end? Is he just testing power of the seeds and mist for the military? If he is trying to protect the secret of Greenvale why does he do half of what he does at the end. Also is the game implying that Kaysen is already immortal because the "kaysen" look a like from the 1950's.

How does York find the files in the lake. Does he really make a humongous leap of faith from the coffee cup to go to the falls and instinctively know where to fish to pull out the files on the first attempt. Is coffee that godlike?
Not sure about all your questions but:

Zach is the original and after the shock of seeing his parents get killed he meets York and they switch the body so that York takes over while Zach recovers in the red room.

I thought they were the dead from the first incident with the fog that appear just because you need some kind of enemies for the fighting scenes :D

Kaysen was there when Zach's parents died and saw him. I don't think all is just entirely in his head. They meet in the red room and Zach stays there and apparently it's more like an open other place where other people can go, too. So I guess Kaysen knew all along what happened to Zach after the incident.

To spread his seedlings. I'm not sure he works for the military. Probably just used them at one point to test the gas. I think the game implies he's immortal and the same person. Maybe he's not even a person and just some kind of evil spirit of the red seeds.

Yes, the coffee told him :D Same way as the coffee said he should meet Harry and warned him of "F K".

Alfredo

Zach is the real personality. You're playing as Zach the whole time, but with York as the dominant personality. Even so, you're still Zach, that even the towns people see you as Zach the whole time. That's why everyone makes such a big deal about your scar. On York, the scar is just the scratches on his face from the Catwoman wannabe. On Zach, it's huge, covering half his face, and the cause of that weird notch in York's hair. And that's also why the towns folk refer to you as Zach during the epilogue, without mentioning York

I believe the zombies are the victims of the original Raincoat Killer. All the crazy folk from back when the gas made everyone into murderous monsters. The zombies even carry around makeshift weapons like they did during the Raincoat Killer sequence. No idea how Emily could see them, though. Just some weird supernatural thing I guess?

Well, Kaysen was there when Zach's parents died. And Kaysen is responsible for Zach's scar. So that's how he knows Zach. And the red and white rooms aren't just in Zach's head. If you recall, Harry was also in the white room. Not really sure how all that works, though.

I figure Kaysen is just some malevolent being that wants to mess with mankind. I believe Swery said something about Kaysen being an "agent of the red tree," but I'm not sure what that means. I'm just gonna go with Kaysen just goofin' around, dicking around with humans. What you should be asking is what's up with Willie? 'cause I don't know that either.

Indeed, the coffee is godlike. It's the source of the "deadly premonition" after all. Maybe just like the red seeds harness the power of evil, coffee beans are the power of good? I just made that up. :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
One thing I can add about #4:

Kayson is also in SWERY's first game, Spy Fiction, where he works for the military. He's the only character in both games, though he wasn't overly explained in the first game but acted weird.

Alfredo

So the radio locations don't save? Like WTF? I HATE DRIVING SO MUCH.

If I recall correctly, your radio locations are only saved per chapter. Like, if you didn't go to the Milk Barn in Chapter 2 or 3, but did in Chapter 4, the location won't be saved in 3. But if you replay 2, and go to the Milk Barn, it'll be unlocked for Chapter 3. I think that's how it works. It's probably like this to prevent you from fast traveling to areas you're not supposed to be in yet.

jgminto

Kayson is also in SWERY's first game, Spy Fiction, where he works for the military. He's the only character in both games, though he wasn't overly explained in the first game but acted weird.

The General
was also in both games. I think he just likes reusing characters.

The General
was also in both games. I think he just likes reusing characters.

Wow that's really interesting. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Bowler

finally sourced the game locally. Gamestop and there brand new yet unwrapped last one in store copy.

Will be firing it up tonight.

any suggestions to start?

finally sourced the game locally. Gamestop and there brand new yet unwrapped last one in store copy.

Will be firing it up tonight.

any suggestions to start?

Everything you need to know:

1) Get the radio by going to George's house early on (Chapter 2, iirc; doing the Nameless Flower quest).
2) Get the guitar as this is the weapon you'll be using most of the time in this game, I mean it! Do all the Lilly Ingram missions at the Milk Barn and hold onto it for a while. Don't give it back to Keith until postgame. You'll need it.
3) Do all of the side missions because they're worth it. It's not the game part of the game that's memorable for me for Deadly Premonition; it's the NPCs and main character interaction.
4) Get the flamethrower if you want, I dunno. I usually just stuck with the guitar. >.>
5) Do Emily's cooking missions at her house and get the Weather Doll, which acts as a Regen item.

List of locations (and if you click on the locations they'll show you the times) are here: http://deadlypremonition.wikia.com/wiki/Locations. Just don't scroll down further on the locations' wiki pages for fear of spoilers.

A&G Diner; 09:00 A.M. - 21:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Galaxy of Terror: 20:00 P.M. - 22:00 P.M.
Hotel: Open 24 hours.
Hospital: 09:00 A.M. - 21:00 P.M.
Gallery: 10:00 A.M. - 17:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Swery 65: 19:00 P.M. - 22:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Milk Barn: 08:00 A.M. - 20:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.
Gas Station: 10:00 A.M. - 20:00 P.M. Closed during the rain.

If the cops tell you to go somewhere at X time? Nah, you can just keep doing what you want to do and skip it; there's no penalty. At least there wasn't in the original version. You can carry on with the story at your leisure while you're exploring or doing sidequests. There are just a few main story missions that require you to be there at the time they specify or else it's game over, but other than that, you can carry on at your own pace and do the mission on a next day at the same time.

You will notice which missions have a gameover timeout when your car magically gets unlimited fuel and damage.

Locke_211

I stopped using the guitar fairly quickly. The collision detection with it is sometimes really off! I found the magnum once more useful and just as powerful.

Ill Saint

After the EU PSN release debacle, I was finally able to play the game as of a few days ago. So far I'm just finding my way around the town while struggling with the nightmarish map and its constant disorienting rotation. I've been trying to do sidequests whenever possible.

Enjoying the dialogue and writing a lot. York is a brilliant protagonist. The story is gaining momentum, and the quirky cast of characters that have popped up all seem interesting and full of personality that makes you want to engage with them.

I have a feeling the EU PSN version is fucked, as the framerate really is absolutely atrocious, and I never bitch about the framerate in games. Here it's definitely testing me. I'd guess most of the time it's hitting around 20fps and crawls to sub 10fps when sparkly items are around. The game also hitches for about half a second with alarming regularity.

Hoping it gets fixed, as my poor eyeballs are taking a beating.

hertog

Just started this game.
At first it looked like a generic, really bad, survival horror.
Now it's turning in a Shenmue explore the town and don't forget to eat and sleep simulator (I love it)

The first thing I noticed when I got the car is that the gameworld is huge, I think I'll really enjoy this experience.

SmithnCo

I stopped using the guitar fairly quickly. The collision detection with it is sometimes really off! I found the magnum once more useful and just as powerful.

I mostly used the inf. wrench. I thought it was faster. The game is easy anyway, so it doesn't matter much for this version.

Aguirre

ok well i just bought this game and beat the prologue.

few thoughts:

1) i dont really mind the graphics
2)york is pretty dang cool
3) i swear to god at the start
when he crashes his car and goes down into the forest, there are two squirrels, i swear they make the noises that of a monkey/ape and not a squirrel
4) who the heck is zach, lol? its like hes talking to himself
5) york was pretty douchey
in front of emily and george at the bridge scene, like saying this place[greenvale]isnt all that backward because of george and that he glad he took the job because emily is hot. i swear emily could hear york telling zach this, lol

im absolutely loving it so far. and the music too!!!

ok well i just bought this game and beat the prologue.

few thoughts:

1) i dont really mind the graphics
2)york is pretty dang cool
3) i swear to god at the start
when he crashes his car and goes down into the forest, there are two squirrels, i swear they make the noises that of a monkey/ape and not a squirrel
4) who the heck is zach, lol? its like hes talking to himself
5) york was pretty douchey
in front of emily and george at the bridge scene, like saying this place[greenvale]isnt all that backward because of george and that he glad he took the job because emily is hot. i swear emily could hear york telling zach this, lol

im absolutely loving it so far. and the music too!!!

Fix your spoiler tags, which don't really spoil anything XD
And yes, the music is a big part of the game, too bad it's horribly recorded and mixed...

We really need a spoiler tag button, typing them by hand is painful!

Yeah that's really annoying. Aiming sucks too, though. But like mentioned no point in using it in this version since everything dies pretty easily anyway.

snap0212

Quick question. I'm still pretty much at the beginning but instead of doing a couple of sidequests in 1-2 I continued the story. I'm in
the hospital
now and am thinking about just loading up 1-2 again to do the sidequests and continue from there. Will that work out fine or does that mess with my save?

SmithnCo

Quick question. I'm still pretty much at the beginning but instead of doing a couple of sidequests in 1-2 I continued the story. I'm in
the hospital
now and am thinking about just loading up 1-2 again to do the sidequests and continue from there. Will that work out fine or does that mess with my save?

It will work fine. Just remember that in order to save, you must complete the mission that you restart. Then it will save your completed missions/new items to your profile.

snap0212

It will work fine. Just remember that in order to save, you must complete the mission that you restart. Then it will save your completed missions/new items to your profile.
ah, awesome. Then I'll just load up the second chapter. :) thanks for the fast reply!

After a rage fit last night, I have HAD IT with driving. it's just too damn hard for me to find the location I'm going and trace a path back to where I am.

SO, I am going to get the fast travel radio before I do anything else.
Unfortunatly, I can't make it rain. I had york sleep for 22 DAYS in a shack and it still won't rain WTF. I can't figure this out, is it based on where I am in the game. I don't really want to move ahead in the story until I do more side stuff but FUCK it just won't rain.

After a rage fit last night, I have HAD IT with driving. it's just too damn hard for me to find the location I'm going and trace a path back to where I am.

SO, I am going to get the fast travel radio before I do anything else.
Unfortunatly, I can't make it rain. I had york sleep for 22 DAYS in a shack and it still won't rain WTF. I can't figure this out, is it based on where I am in the game. I don't really want to move ahead in the story until I do more side stuff but FUCK it just won't rain.

I slept for 37 in game days last night (in random increments of 3, 6 and 9 hours) and couldn't get it to rain. I really want to get the Legendary Tabatha trophy before it glitches.

Jenga

Banned
another thing about
kaysen, apparently the dog is actually his "handler" or some other supervising position over him. i'm guessing the red tree had the dog help zach/emily because kaysen had to be put down for whatever reason

I slept for 37 in game days last night (in random increments of 3, 6 and 9 hours) and couldn't get it to rain. I really want to get the Legendary Tabatha trophy before it glitches.

what's that about anyways? I haven't heard the whole story. My understanding is that rod you need vanishes for some reason and you can't catch what you need. I don't have the rod yet but what causes it to vanish?

Alfredo

I think it rains more in certain chapters than others. Like, it took me forever to get it to rain on Chapter 9, but in Chapter 2, it only took two nights. But, unfortunately, you'd have to go do a chapter replay which MIGHT be causing the fishing rod glitch.

I would try going back to another chapter in which the Tabatha quest is still available and trying to make it rain there, then doing the quest. If the glitch does get rid of your rod before you can complete the quest, then you can just quit out without saving, and hopefully you'll get your rod back.

The wrench is all you need. It's much faster than the guitar, doesn't need to be reloaded, and kills most enemies in one or two hits. Wall ladies probably take maybe 4 hits with the wrench, so I find the guitar useful for those.

another thing about
kaysen, apparently the dog is actually his "handler" or some other supervising position over him. i'm guessing the red tree had the dog help zach/emily because kaysen had to be put down for whatever reason
Interesting, can you elaborate further why you think that?
I remember a discussion about the dog supervising kaysen in the old thread, but there was nothing about him helping york iirc

Jenga

Banned
Interesting, can you elaborate further why you think that?
I remember a discussion about the dog supervising kaysen in the old thread, but there was nothing about him helping york iirc
apparently it was a just a throwaway answer from SWERY on the dog's role in some interview. didn't really give a reason for the dog helping york, but that's what I think was going on. I mean, you got this demon running around looking the same for 50+ years who just runs around doing the same thing over and over...change of management time?

i'm also curious about zach having his own personal tree as shown in one of the current day scenes. maybe the red tree wants zach to be the new agent? random speculation on my part

what's that about anyways? I haven't heard the whole story. My understanding is that rod you need vanishes for some reason and you can't catch what you need. I don't have the rod yet but what causes it to vanish?

The cause is still not known, it's probably related to chapter replays but I'm not sure.
Making rain appear can be a pain, I too slept for countless days before getting some.

Try to finish
Emily's sidequests, they will give you the weather doll. If you turn it around in the inventory screen it should make rain appear more often. I think I got more rain after getting that, but it could have been placebo effect or just a coincidence...

Problem is, what do you need to do Emily's sidequests? RAIN!! :mad:

KageMaru

For the people who have played both, is the improvements/changes to this version worth buying the game again? I've had it for the 360 but haven't had the time to sit down with it. So should I skip the 360 version and just go with the PS3 version? Thanks guys.

Top Bottom