• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

Sorcerer

Absolutely. Remember there's absolutely no shame in looking up a couple of near-essential side-quest rewards. They don't just give you piddly things but rewards that make the game a lot kinder!

Actually I spent the first week and a half playing the game just doing the side quests on the advice of Nic Rox (Warning!!! A Huge Podcast), before I attempted the main story.

You can do an amazing amount without advancing the story too much and ultimately the rewards/weapons found made the game a breeze to play through and much more enjoyable.

Aguirre

Actually I spent the first week and half playing the game just doing the side quests on the advice of Nic Rox (Warning!!! A Huge Podcast), before I attempted the main story.

You can do an amazing amount without advancing the story too much and ultimately the rewards/weapons found made the game a breeze to play through and much more enjoyable.

im at the sawmill. have i already ruined my any essential side quests?

stn

So...I bought DP way back on the 360. I love to try obscure games and generally don't care about graphics. I played the game for about 30 minutes and never touched it again. What turned me off was the controls and some of the animations (the first enemies I killed spilled out heavily-pixelated blood, lol).

In light of this, should I give this version a chance? I'm determined to give this a game real shot and have heard that the controls are much better.

Aguirre

So...I bought DP way back on the 360. I love to try obscure games and generally don't care about graphics. I played the game for about 30 minutes and never touched it again. What turned me off was the controls and some of the animations (the first enemies I killed spilled out heavily-pixelated blood, lol).

In light of this, should I give this version a chance? I'm determined to give this a game real shot and have heard that the controls are much better.

while i never played the x360 version, the controls on ps3 are good!
I'm pretty sure you are fine. Don't think there are any that get closed off by then. If they are you can replay chapters easily during the story.

awesome. thanks! :)

I think DP should be given a bit more than 30 minutes for the charme and characters starting to obscure the technical issues for good. I think you should give it another try, even if I can't judge the improvements of the ps3 version (which probably should at least fix the control issues you have had before though, so there's enough reason to pick it up again).

im at the sawmill. have i already ruined my any essential side quests?

Thanks to the ability to replay the chapters the game has only one missable item (outside of those rendered impossible to get because of bugs), that is the
infinite magnum. Quite the useful weapon.

To avoid missing it, you have to collect the seven bones that you find in the world map all at once, then meet Kaysen and Willie, get the bones back and bring them to Brian at the cemetery. This will complete two sidequests at once.
If you meet Kaysen and Willie before having collected all the bones you will lose the infinite magnum reward, and if you bring the bones back to Brian before meeting Willie you will lose both the weapon and the ability to finish Willie's sidequest.

So remember, get all seven bones at once, bring them to Willie, get the bones back then bring them to Brian at the cemetery.

White Man

I think DP should be given a bit more than 30 minutes for the charme and characters starting to obscure the technical issues for good. I think you should give it another try, even if I can't judge the improvements of the ps3 version (which probably should at least fix the control issues you have had before though, so there's enough reason to pick it up again).

For real. The first hour or so of the game is the worst part.

Aguirre

Thanks to the ability to replay the chapters the game has only one missable item (outside of those rendered impossible to get because of bugs), that is the
infinite magnum. Quite the useful weapon.

To avoid missing it, you have to collect the seven bones that you find in the world map all at once, then meet Kaysen and Willie, get the bones back and bring them to Brian at the cemetery. This will complete two sidequests at once.
If you meet Kaysen and Willie before having collected all the bones you will lose the infinite magnum reward, and if you bring the bones back to Brian before meeting Willie you will lose both the weapon and the ability to finish Willie's sidequest.

So remember, get all seven bones at once, bring them to Willie, get the bones back then bring them to Brian at the cemetery.

what do you mean by the get bones back? will willie give them back to you if you speak to him again? or...? so as soon as im done with the sawmill, find these 7 bones asap...? thanks!
:)

hertog

thanks! if i may ask, whats your top 5?

well last night i
just got to the saw mill
i liked when york punctuated the morgue scene with the moves to checkmate the chess player on the computer.

top 5 this gen:

1 Nier
2 Street Fighter X tekken (I'm sorry )
3 Ni No Kuni
4 Catherine
5 Demon Souls

hertog

wtf, I read the gamefaqs guide, and I missed SO much already :|

Is this game playable without using a guide the whole time?

what do you mean by the get bones back? will willie give them back to you if you speak to him again? or...? so as soon as im done with the sawmill, find these 7 bones asap...? thanks!
:)

After you get the first or some of the bones, as soon as you meet Willie he will steal that from you and hide it in his dog house on the back of Kaysen's truck.

This means that once you get the first bone, you will have to get all seven before bumping into them because if you do so before collecting all seven you will lose your only chance of getting the infinite magnum.

WATCH OUT FOR THE FUEL WHILE LOOKING FOR BONES, they're scattered all around the world map so it's easy to forget about refueling and risk being stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Once Willie gets the bones from you, you will find them in the back of Kaysen's truck which should be parked nearby, together with the weapon.

You can do this quest anytime before you reach a certain chapter, just be careful not to get close to Kaysen if you meet him and are carrying one or more bones before getting them all.

My English is failing me today, if something isn't clear don't hesitate to ask for clarifications :p

wtf, I read the gamefaqs guide, and I missed SO much already :|

Is this game playable without using a guide the whole time?
It definitely is. I missed only three side quests on my first playthrough and that was without using any guide or even replaying chapters. Just check your side quest log what side quests are available the current chapter and try to talk to the person that is associated with it. You can also plan ahead which quests to try in following chapters, since the numbers of the possible chapters for each side quest are shown in the log too.

Side quests aren't really that tricky in DP. Sometimes the right time of day or rain is required, but with a little trial-and-error everything should be managable. Luckily you can skip most appointments the story gives you and the game simply postpones them to the next day.

Oh, I don't know how far you're in, but you probably haven't really missed that much. Guides tend to be as efficient as possible. You probably could do a lot of the side quests later than described in the guide. And then there's always the option to replay chapters, so you definitely don't have to start all over again.

Laranja

Well, fuck my luck. My copy is on its way and my PS3 died. I've wanted to play this game ever since the original version came out, and now that I was finally getting the chance to do it, this happens.

Gah!

So can you not save while replaying past chapters? I just did a sidequest marathon of ch.2 and it wouldn't let me save until after I beat the mission again.

Bittercup

So can you not save while replaying past chapters? I just did a sidequest marathon of ch.2 and it wouldn't let me save until after I beat the mission again.
Yes there are no separate saves for replays. You have to complete the chapter and all your progress from the replay gets transferred to your save file from the actual playthrough.

jimi_dini

I'm just in chapter 4 and the game is really great.

BUT the sidequest in the hospital is at least somewhat broken.

It asked me
what antibiotics are - I selected "destroying bacteria".
. It told me, that I was wrong, where in fact some are
destroying bacteria and some slow down growth
. It wanted the 2nd answer, although both would be correct. I mean wtf. If you include something like this, just make sure that your "correct" answers are correct and your "incorrect" answers are really incorrect smh.

Oh and the game froze once on me. Everyone should save regulary. I lost around 1 hour of playtime :/

EDIT: and fuck those QTEs. The ones at the end of chapter
are complete bullcrap. Much too fast. And they don't even stick to the normal controls. R1 to strafe right and X to attack? Are they kidding me? It's R1 to shoot.

But I'm starting to think that Ex-Team Silent members worked on this game. *shudder*

EDIT2: York with beard is almost as pimp as Riker.

Bittercup

EDIT: and fuck those QTEs. The ones at the end of chapter
are complete bullcrap. Much too fast. And they don't even stick to the normal controls. R1 to strafe right and X to attack? Are they kidding me? It's R1 to shoot.
Yes R1/RB strafe and X/A to shoot is from the 360 controls.
But fortunately this is the only scene in the game with QTEs that bad. For the rest of the game QTEs are mostly just one or two buttons and always the same with enough time to react.

Really worried about this. I'm paranoid about the game freezing while I'm replaying a chapter and I can't save. Haven't had it freeze yet, though.

I completed the game in like 45 hours and not once it froze on me.

But just in case you can complete most side quests either Chapter 2 or 7, both are pretty short but 7 is probably the shortest.

jimi_dini

Hahaha

York's comments in the 2nd
cooking
sidequest (#7).

York:
Are all women this way? Do they all just snap like this?

haha, awesome

Yes R1/RB strafe and X/A to shoot is from the 360 controls.

Why didn't they just change the QTEs accordingly :(

Beat it. The hell kind of last few hours was that?

:) ...

just finished as well, &, yeah, i would've preferred something a lit-tle less over the top than that final confrontation. but, hey, the rest of the game was so fucking amazing, i can give it a pass...

very, very impressed. so grateful i got the chance to play it. more stuff like this - please!...

Platinumed this game earlier today and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's almost exactly what I wanted Alan Wake to be when they first announced it. An open world game with day/night cycles, horror elements, an interesting story and a mystery at the centre of it. And while it was a hell of a lot uglier and jankier than I would've liked, the interesting game design and writing easily made up for those issues.

Here's hoping for a sequel one of these days.

Finished this game yesterday, now I'm mopping up side quests for the platinum. As the credits rolled, I sat there with some seriously bittersweet emotions. I enjoyed the game so much, relished every little bit of it, and now I was done. As the player, I personally did not want my time in Greenvale to end, and maybe it's weird, but for some reason I imagine all of the townsfolk continuing to go about their daily lives, long after I've removed the disc from the system and placed it on my shelf. Game of the generation for me, no contest.

jimi_dini

Just finished Episode 2 (part 1). Holy mother of god.

And I think that
George Woodmann
is probably the killer.
He seemed to cut the cable on purpose, he seemed to be eager to cut them, so that she would get killed and couldn't say the killer's name
at least that's how it looked to me. Don't tell me, will hopefully finish it tomorrow, although I actually don't want it to end :(

Nothing unfortunately... :(

There is a promo poster currently up on eBay. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEADLY-PREMONITION-RARE-A2-GAMING-PROMO-POSTER-/161026170043
I wonder if there were other posters. Why is there no guide? I looked on bk1.jp and nothing :( Give me at least a guide with some artwork. It's such a shame. Or give me mugs.

EDIT: wait, I thought I saw something like the soundtrack in the pick-up thread. And yes, I was right. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57275048&postcount=318 PM sent I need this.

EDIT2: seems to be user-made :( http://doctore2002.deviantart.com/art/Deadly-Premonition-OST-DigiPak-203865755

I can't wait to finish the game so I can share my initial suspicions about who the killer is and not have people's reactions spoil the game. I haven't even finished episode 1 yet, so I'm probably just jumping at shadows. There's probably no legitimate reason to suspect who I suspect but I do nonetheless.

Alfredo

It's pretty crazy that an official soundtrack hasn't been put together for this game yet. Not even on iTunes or anything.

Atlus includes soundtracks with their niche games all the time.

The soundtrack for this game is so good, it deserves to be in purchasable form. Plus, there are some new songs in the Director's Cut that aren't even included in the in-game sound test after you beat the game.

RangerBAD

How the heck do I use the radio? I got it from George, but it wasn't in my inventory and I couldn't figure out how to use it. I'm tired of driving around!

How the heck do I use the radio? I got it from George, but it wasn't in my inventory and I couldn't figure out how to use it. I'm tired of driving around!

It popped right into my inventory where I can use it like any item - select use and a menu of locations pops up. Was your inventory full, perhaps? Did you check your toolbox?

RangerBAD

It popped right into my inventory where I can use it like any item - select use and a menu of locations pops up. Was your inventory full, perhaps? Did you check your toolbox?

Oh, yeah, I was going to check the toolbox. It didn't really give me a message about a full inventory. I hope the glitch isn't at play here. I went back to a chapter to get it. I left out of 12 before I finished it. Haven't seen York's car either. Should I have beaten the game first?

Oh, yeah, I was going to check the toolbox. It didn't really give me a message about a full inventory. I hope the glitch isn't at play here. I went back to a chapter to get it. I left out of 12 before I finished it. Haven't seen York's car either. Should I have beaten the game first?

Did you complete the chapter you were replaying to get those items and save?

Persona7

Banned
It's pretty crazy that an official soundtrack hasn't been put together for this game yet. Not even on iTunes or anything.

Atlus includes soundtracks with their niche games all the time.

The soundtrack for this game is so good, it deserves to be in purchasable form. Plus, there are some new songs in the Director's Cut that aren't even included in the in-game sound test after you beat the game.

I would buy a soundtrack.

jimi_dini

Just finished Episode 2 (part 1). Holy mother of god.

And I think that
George Woodmann
is probably the killer.
He seemed to cut the cable on purpose, he seemed to be eager to cut them, so that she would get killed and couldn't say the killer's name
at least that's how it looked to me. Don't tell me, will hopefully finish it tomorrow, although I actually don't want it to end :(

Haha, I was right all along. Although I have still not finished the game completely.

And I also noticed
that there was no puke in the toilet
, although I don't know if this was intentional.

It's kinda sad that noone will ever be able to list this game in a thread of awesome
playable female characters
(<-- chapter 4 spoilers), because if you did so, you would actually spoil part of the game.

It's kinda sad that noone will ever be able to list this game in a thread of awesome
playable female characters
(<-- chapter 4 spoilers), because if you did so, you would actually spoil part of the game.

Well, not really. No one would know why
you don't play as York the whole game

jimi_dini

Platinumed the game, oh my god, it mindfucked me.

Such a masterpiece.

And people say GTA IV would have an immersive world. $100 million development cost and GTA's immersion is a joke against this one.

I'm so glad that I bought it right on release.

Then this is goodbye, Zach. Thank you for everything.

So where do the cars you've purchased wind up going? I bought one and it was outside the junk yard. I drove it for a while, wrapped up my current mission, and I can't find it again. Is there a place where they spawn after you buy them?

Top Bottom