• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm glad that isn't the case then. I really hate those parts.

Anyway I got the plat. One of the easiest ever.

ENDING SPOLERS:
It's amazing how after replaying the game you realize that there were a ton of signs indicating George as the killer, the Red Trees in his backyard and at the Sheriff's station just outside his office, plus his licence plate number is something like HESTHE1 "He's the one" and a couple more hints!
They also left a hint at Kaysen in the first video showing the soldiers producing the mist. There's a sappling next to the fat soldier, which was later revealed to be Kaysen. Didn't notice this until my second playthrough, but it felt so obvious.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I get that the game is charming but Swery has no talent at making games if he thought that four wall women in a row was a good idea.

I get that the game is charming but Swery has no talent at making games if he thought that four wall women in a row was a good idea.

What does "wall women" mean? Did you mean tall women?

How worse are we talking here? Game breaking?

It depends on your preferences, while noticeably worse than the 360 version in all areas I do not consider it game breaking.
The only places where it comes down to 2fps or so are around the milk barn when driving in the world map and in a room at the beginning of the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My thoughts about the game:

- The game's otherworld is trying to be Silent Hill but with crappy graphics and limited out-of-place items.
- York is one of the best characters in this generation.
- About the sequel...
Will it take place in New Orleans as how the epilogue suggested?

My thoughts about the game:

- The game's otherworld is trying to be Silent Hill but with crappy graphics and limited out-of-place items.
- York is one of the best characters in this generation.
- About the sequel...
Will it take place in New Orleans as how the epilogue suggested?

We'll have to wait and see for that I guess. I wonder if it's going to be revealed at E3.
The first showing of Deadly Premonition was at TGS 2007, but it looks like the game wasn't well recieved in Japan. The Director's Cut wasn't even released there.

gforguava

ENDING SPOLERS:
It's amazing how after replaying the game you realize that there were a ton of signs indicating George as the killer, the Red Trees in his backyard and at the Sheriff's station just outside his office, plus his licence plate number is something like HESTHE1 "He's the one" and a couple more hints!

My favorite thing hinted at is...
...that at some point(I forget which chapter) if you follow George around you can actually see him and Thomas go into the sex dungeon under the Galaxy of Terror.

Geido

My favorite thing hinted at is...
...that at some point(I forget which chapter) if you follow George around you can actually see him and Thomas go into the sex dungeon under the Galaxy of Terror.

I Actually saw George go in there while I was waiting for Thomas to appear for that stalker sidequest. I remember thinking it was very strange. After a while I checked my map and they where just standing behind the door while the bar was completely unmanned. Crazy perverts.

Just finished it btw, what a crazy rollercoaster at the end there.

Emily... NOOOOOO!!!! When she stood up... man... I felt some feelings I usually don't get from videogames. Tried shooting Forrest for 2-3 times until I had to accept that wasn't going to happen/ :(

Great game!

TEJ

I give this game an 8/10 so far

The combat is shit

it looks like a budget PS2 game

but

It's hilarious, has one of the most enjoyable casts and story i've seen in a videogame in a long time.

and I normally despise videogame stories.

Welp, I ran into the fishing rod glitch. There goes my 100% run. Oh well.

i-know-that-feel.jpg

The only time you need it is to catch Tabatha, right? Couldn't you replay the chapter and get the rod again?

Nope, the game registers the rod as received it seems because re-fufilling the conditions gets no response from Jim. And trying to catch Tabatha pops up a fail message instead of the special event. Seems to be totally fucked.

Nope, the game registers the rod as received it seems because re-fufilling the conditions gets no response from Jim. And trying to catch Tabatha pops up a fail message instead of the special event. Seems to be totally fucked.

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. Did you save or do a chapter mission before finishing the quest or something?

I wonder if deleting the game/save data and starting the game over would work.

Ah, I'm sorry to hear that. Did you save or do a chapter mission before finishing the quest or something?

I wonder if deleting the game/save data and starting the game over would work.

I'm sure it would work, but when it happens 20 hours into the game and 30 plus of the other sidequests done the desire to do so is very low.

I honestly don't even remember, I don't think so. Remember doing all the stuff to get the rod, slept and ran down to the shore and it was gone :/

I'm sure it would work, but when it happens 20 hours into the game and 30 plus of the other sidequests done the desire to do so is very low.

I honestly don't even remember, I don't think so. Remember doing all the stuff to get the rod, slept and ran down to the shore and it was gone :/

I would have been so pissed. I worried about encountering the glitch through the whole game until I caught Tabatha. I feel for you. This game has even brought me out of trophy hunting retirement.

For all of you having the problem with the Fishing Rod, the developers could very well provide a fix with a patch theoretically. The point is whether they're actually going to do it or not.

In other news, I found another magic high framerate spot. When you go into the A&G Diner for the item bag, there's a corner that if you stand in, the framerate goes up to 60.

I made a video:
http://www.viddler.com/v/e767e587

It's silly.

Yes I noticed that, there are a couple more spots, in the white corridors and somewhere around the hotel if I remember correctly. The framerate drops because of the increased texture quality, if you just look into a corner that doesn't have many textures it should cancel the slowdown.

vocab

Im enjoying what I played of the game, but all the issues really get in the way. Driving/racing with the poor framerate is gross. At this point I'll just get through it. I've been waiting to play the game, waiting for the patch is just ugh.

nyarla

Neo Member
I'm a fan of horribly awkward early 3D weirdness, and Twin Peaks. LOVE this so far :D Driving in the rain in first person view is magical.

Im enjoying what I played of the game, but all the issues really get in the way. Driving/racing with the poor framerate is gross. At this point I'll just get through it. I've been waiting to play the game, waiting for the patch is just ugh.

Even if a patch goes out it will most likely just fix a couple of bugs, the framerate will stay as it is I'm afraid.
If we're lucky enough it might fix the area around the milk barn, but not the whole game.

What does "wall women" mean? Did you mean tall women?
I believe he meant the Crawling Shadow, the enemy who crawls on the walls and ceilings. I hated that segment as well, they were just boring as hell to kill.

I finished the game a few days ago and plat'd it this morning. Somebody mentioned that the game should just ditch the combat and be an adventure game instead, I completely agree. The story alone is intriguing enough to keep me playing but the combat is such a chore, especially after I was done with the main story and had to replay the Other World for trading cards, there's no other incentives to keep me playing the combat portion of the game at all. I would love to see a DP sequel more in the style of Telltale's Walking Dead.

I believe he meant the Crawling Shadow, the enemy who crawls on the walls and ceilings. I hated that segment as well, they were just boring as hell to kill.

I finished the game a few days ago and plat'd it this morning. Somebody mentioned that the game should just ditch the combat and be an adventure game instead, I completely agree. The story alone is intriguing enough to keep me playing but the combat is such a chore, especially after I was done with the main story and had to replay the Other World for trading cards, there's no other incentives to keep me playing the combat portion of the game at all. I would love to see a DP sequel more in the style of Telltale's Walking Dead.

Apparently Swery had the intention to make the game to work completely without shooting and going for sneaking and hiding instead, but got word from above that he should implement combat to make it more appealing to the masses. Great.

Ah, of course! Yes they were extremely annoying in the original version, completely drained my ammo in that fight.
This time it was way easier though, especially after obtaining THAT WEAPON!

wall ladies are easy if you've got the shotty, only 5 shots to kill them

The director's cut has been rebalanced, luckily. In the original 360 version there was pratically no way of killing them with a firearm without using all your stocked up ammo :p
Too bad that for every bug they fixed they reintroduced another one...

wall ladies are easy if you've got the shotty, only 5 shots to kill them
Well yeah they aren't hard to kill, just tedious and boring, you have to wait in between those 5 shots. You can even one-shot them with a rocket, but placing these enemies one after another isn't challenging, they don't have a chance in killing you, but you have to wait your turns to kill them, just felt like such a pointless and time wasting exercise.

Actually the only enemy I haven't killed is the
giant dog
, it just landed right next to my car out of nowhere and I thought "WTF!?" and sped away, never stopped to fight one.

I think the problem with the wall ladies wasn't the amount of ammo required to kill one, especially since melee weapons were more effective. They were just really really boring to kill. And it was even worse when there were a couple of them in a row. I still remember running down a corridor and praying for no wall ladies to appear and wanting to cry, if one did appear, because I knew that it would be another minute of utter chore. Every other crap in the game I could handle, but not them.

Edit: Yeah, exactly what the guy above said.

Bittercup

Can somebody explain the fishing rod glitch and how to avoid it? or is it completely random?
The best way to avoid it is probably to complete the legendary Tabatha quest immediately after you got the Rod of Legends without doing anything else between. It's the only quest where you need the rod and it wouldn't matter if it glitches afterwards.

Can somebody explain the fishing rod glitch and how to avoid it? or is it completely random?

As the above poster said. Here are some details:
the Tabatha quest is divided into three parts: try to get the fish, get the fishing rod, go back fishing with the special rod.

To start the quest you have to go to the fishing spot behind Jim's cabin, near the waterfalls when it's raining. You will need the normal fishing rod in your inventory to do this, if you don't have it buy one from Polly. Land the cursor on the blue box. At that point the line will break and York will realize that he won't be able to get that fish with the normal rod.

For the second step you will have to go inside Jim's cabin during a rainy day when he's alone. When you talk with him about the fish he will give you the Legendary rod.

As soon as you get it, go immideately to the dock to get the fish and don't save the game until you catch him, completing the quest. This concludes the third and final step, once you've completed the quest you got nothing to worry about. The Legendary rod is useless beyond this point. You will need rain to do the third step, if by any chance the rain stops right after you finish talking with Jim, go to sleep near Anna's Tree, or even better right behind the dock (be sure to have some food supplies as there aren't any around the dock).

The disappearance bug cause still hasn't been pinpointed, but it's most likely caused by chapter replays, the original version had a similar glitch too where a key item would disappear after a chapter replay rendering the game unbeatable.

Arsenic13

As much as I love this game, it's inexcusable that it isn't even running at a consistent 30FPS. Hell, the game is far from a technical powerhouse. It should run at 60 FPS.

I'm on Chapter 26 and the game is "pretty much" over, but it has been an amazing ride. I played for like 5 hours today because I was totaly engrossed and everytime I think it's coming to an end the game throws another thing at me and it continues on. The story is amazing and it's a shame not very many people will get to see it due to the game being almost unheard of and those who have heard it without playing it may only know it as that "weird game with bad graphics". It's a shame I never saw that many LLTP Deadly Premonition threads like Spec Ops the Line. Anyway the game is fantastic and I still have many questions to be answered but I will wait until after I finish the last couple of sidequests and find the rest of the cards before I finish The End.

just completed the first day. so fucking happy that they did this release. been very interested in it since first hearing of it, & never expected it to come to the ps3. it's just bat shit nuts, &, despite any & all flaws, i'm just loving it :) ...

Top Bottom