• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

So I imagine that patch was just hearsay after all?

In any case I beat the game and every sidequest but the legendary fishing rod one that glitched out. Suppose I'll struggle through the first few hours again at some point just to nab it and the platinum.

hertog

Ok I'm stuck. Could someone help me

The doorknob in the sawmill keeps killing me, I can't shake it off no matter how much I wiggle the left stick.

Chemo

Just beat this game, after picking it up a couple of days ago after years of interest but not owning a 360 anymore... god damn, what a fantastic game. I really loved everything about it, such a compelling experience. Obviously low budget and janky in some ways but all of these rough edges were very endearing and made the fantastic aspects (like York's character) just shine through brilliantly. I hope the hinted-at sequel is something that becomes a reality... so pleased with this game.

Ouren

I'm going to buy every piece of DLC and PSN content for this game...including the Playstation Home items. >_>

K7A2M4c.jpg

I don't give a shit about home, but that costume is really, really great. Really.

Persona7

Banned
Half of the publisher's promises didn't happen already like the in game camera. I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their mind about that too.
Was that ever even acknowledged? I know a bunch of people asked the PR manager on twitter and he said he will look into it but I stopped checking his twitter page after a week of not saying anything.

Apparently the pre-order DLC is coming out on June 4th in NA and is already available in Europe.

Was that ever even acknowledged? I know a bunch of people asked the PR manager on twitter and he said he will look into it but I stopped checking his twitter page after a week of not saying anything.

Apparently the pre-order DLC is coming out on June 4th in NA and is already available in Europe.

pr manager seemed to be a bit full of shit after he posted the red room intro on youtube and tried to say with a straight-face that the framerate was smooth

haikira

Have there been any patches for DC, since launch? Very tempted by the Zavvi offer, but was wondering if it had been fixed up any. Any footage I've seen, the performance seems abysmal. Though if it's not too detrimental on gameplay, i'd still give it a go. I'm also currently playing Dragon's Dogma on the PS3, which certainly isn't the best performing game in the world. So i couldn't call myself too picky.

jimi_dini

Have there been any patches for DC, since launch? Very tempted by the Zavvi offer, but was wondering if it had been fixed up any. Any footage I've seen, the performance seems abysmal. Though if it's not too detrimental on gameplay, i'd still give it a go.

No patch. I had one freeze in total of around 35-40 hours of playtime (which was really infuriating because I lost around 1 hour of playtime) - so I would recommend anyone to save at least every 30 minutes or so - the game only autosaves after each chapter. Framerate is not making it unplayable or anything. It's okay. Although I'm one of the people that had no problem with Dark Souls / Blighttown either. GTA IV's framerate made my eyes bleed, this game didn't.

What's strange is that the Director's cut seems to perform worse than the Japanese original - I never played that one though, because it was way too expensive to import. It seems like they ported over the 360 version instead of updating the Japanese original.

Anyway, get it. GET IT.

Have there been any patches for DC, since launch? Very tempted by the Zavvi offer, but was wondering if it had been fixed up any. Any footage I've seen, the performance seems abysmal. Though if it's not too detrimental on gameplay, i'd still give it a go. I'm also currently playing Dragon's Dogma on the PS3, which certainly isn't the best performing game in the world. So i couldn't call myself too picky.

play this game! doesn't always look/feel all that good (& likely still wouldn't even if it ran perfectly :) ), but i completed my patchless playthru a few days ago with no freezing or lock-ups, & had an incredibly fun time doing so. deadly premonition is a true gem, & its flaws do little if anything to take away from that...

haikira

Thanks for the responses guys. Think i'm going to bite the bullet and get it. I've liked what I've seen, from quickly shifting through a few very early videos. I think depending on the type of game, i can either be very fussy about performance or not care at all, and i think this will be the latter. I've also just started watching Twin Peaks for the very first time ever, so this'll make a nice pairing.

sunnz

I think this is a game I could have enjoyed a lot more if I got it when it first released.

While the characters and story are awesome ( as in VERY enjoyable, one of the best this gen) and I do love the realistic stuff like hunger, sleep, car indicators, the rest is... well the rest is just straight up bad, like ps2 era bad.

From the performance, graphics, car physics, general gameplay, acting from the NPC( like when they try to cry), you name it.

It's just a bit too much for me.

I do hope we see a sequel and a game that focuses on making a better experience as a whole.

I can appreciate the stuff this game does very well though and got my monies worth out of it so not really disappointed.

jimi_dini

I've also just started watching Twin Peaks for the very first time ever, so this'll make a nice pairing.

This game actually made me want to watch Twin Peaks again. I waited so long for it to get released completely on DVD. I bought Season 2 on release. I even bought the Gold Edition later. And still haven't watched it :( (I watched the bonus stuff from the gold edition though). Last time I watched it was ages ago, back then I had everything on VHS (imported those from US, fetched a nice price back then - the set was awesome).

tumblr_m1jytmCXzI1qbtg1vo1_500.png

Oh and fuck, don't image-google it. Otherwise google may spoil some stuff. When I just googled those images, I would have been spoiled with something that occurs in the last episode.

And don't watch Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me until you have watched both seasons.

mace999

Neo Member
Just started this, and as my wife was on the sofa watching I tried to explain before I played that this game is like a cult classic "So bad that it's good" .... Anyway my wife is Thai so couldn't get her head around the English, how can it be so bad that it's good !??!

Anyway after 2 hours, she looked at me and said "Ok, now I know what you mean" We are both hooked in the story, strange as hell, graphics so bad, and the sound .... when we heard the car start up 1st time we just both laughed ..... but damn there is something about this game that is so addictive .....

Just picked this up today after someone mentioned it in the "games you would defend" thread. Wow, looks like I got the last copy at any Gamestop for 100 miles. Just happened to be the one five mins away from me. As an oldschool Twinpeaks fan I am fully prepared to delve into the craziness and have avoided all spoilers since it's 360 release.

I heard the game has some Shenmue elements in it as well, which is a game I absolutely love.

I think the Yakuza series is the pinnacle of the "genre" that Deadly Premonition was aiming for. Weird Japanese open-world pseudo-jank with tons of quirky characters and sidequests. I love it, but it could have learned a few things from Yakuza.

haikira

Oh and fuck, don't image-google it. Otherwise google may spoil some stuff. When I just googled those images, I would have been spoiled with something that occurs in the last episode.

And don't watch Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me until you have watched both seasons.

As someone who's just starting it for the first time, cheers for the warning.

You say two seasons by the way, but aren't there three?

Woffls

the music were
Emily Kaysen and willie go finding York
is funky as hell heh

guess im near the end?
Haha I remember that music being mental and I can picture the scene, but I can't remember what it sounds like. I think you've only got a couple of hours left maybe?

I just picked this up again yesterday, I'm in the woods finding evidence around the tree, and as far as I'm concerned this version is the same as the 360 one... though I don't remember the 360 version having INFINITE PICKLES.

jimi_dini

As someone who's just starting it for the first time, cheers for the warning.

You say two seasons by the way, but aren't there three?

Nah, just 2. The 2nd season is way longer than the first. They released 3 DVD box sets, one for season 1 and 2 for the 2 halves of season 2. Why? Because they are money-grabbing bastards. It took like forever for them to release the 2nd season at all.

And wtf, the article about Twin Peaks on wikipedia is FULL of spoilers. I wonder why they don't have something like the GAF spoiler-tag. They actually spoil everything. And there is no spoiler warning at all. Wow.

What a great ending, the directors cut ending was a nice touch too.
lmao at most the main characters dieing and York is a lie,heh love it

i really want an alternative universe type remake on PS4/X1

So I did the quest that gets you
York's car
but when I went back to the junkyard the car wasn't there. I saw the guide tells you to sleep for 24 hours and come back, but does that only apply within the same chapter you completed the quest? If I moved on to another chapter without getting the car did I lose it forever?

So I did the quest that gets you
York's car
but when I went back to the junkyard the car wasn't there. I saw the guide tells you to sleep for 24 hours and come back, but does that only apply within the same chapter you completed the quest? If I moved on to another chapter without getting the car did I lose it forever?

You shouldn't have any problems but you can sleep whenever you want for 24 hours and go to check if the car is there.

SHIT GOT WEIRD.

Nice, I called who the killer was.
It was the raincoats in the storeroom of the Sheriff's department that led me to believe it was someone in the PD. It wasn't George or Emily so it had to be Thomas. Kaysen was a big fat red herring but I stuck with my initial guess. Playing Persona 4 made me eternally suspicious of the bumbling sidekick type.

Edit: NOPE. I was half right, though. Maybe I should save my predictions until the very end. Did not see that coming.

Terra_Ex

Just finished the director's cut, never played the original. I first thought there might be more to this game than meets the eye when I noticed the town inhabitants all had their own schedules (noticed Ushah driving home from the hospital and I really wasn't expecting that given this game's apparent budget) and the attention to detail just grew from there. The game felt like a combination of Shadow of Memories, Steambot Chronicles, a drop of Yakuza mixed with horror/mystery elements.
Kind of annoyed me that York didn't suspect Kaysen a bit earlier since he's carrying a red ivy plant around with him everywhere (and leaves one outside your room) which bears a striking resemblance to the red ivy that constantly bars your way when exploring the other world. Still, I didn't see that ending coming, I was expecting it to end with George's death. Seeing Emily in the chair with that red cloth on her brought a particular scene from Breath of Fire IV to mind so I expected shit to go downhill rapidly from there.

The texture flickering and repeated tiling drove my nuts for most of the game, voice volume/positioning is way off during several cutscenes and York's "smile" is downright frightening- but thankfully the good outweighed the bad and I found myself really enjoying the story and characters. Overall a really good game with some obvious issues, lots of typos, so-so voice acting, somewhat out of place combat but such surprising attention to detail for a lower-budget title. Definitely another under appreciated classic ala Nier in my eyes. Thanks to all the posters who recommended this game, another example of a mid-tier title beating the AAA shite in all the areas that actually matter to me.

Just finished the director's cut, never played the original. I first thought there might be more to this game than meets the eye when I noticed the town inhabitants all had their own schedules (noticed Ushah driving home from the hospital and I really wasn't expecting that given this game's apparent budget) and the attention to detail just grew from there. The game felt like a combination of Shadow of Memories, Steambot Chronicles, a drop of Yakuza mixed with horror/mystery elements.
Kind of annoyed me that York didn't suspect Kaysen a bit earlier since he's carrying a red ivy plant around with him everywhere (and leaves one outside your room) which bears a striking resemblance to the red ivy that constantly bars your way when exploring the other world. Still, I didn't see that ending coming, I was expecting it to end with George's death. Seeing Emily in the chair with that red cloth on her brought a particular scene from Breath of Fire IV to mind so I expected shit to go downhill rapidly from there.

The texture flickering and repeated tiling drove my nuts for most of the game, voice volume/positioning is way off during several cutscenes and York's "smile" is downright frightening- but thankfully the good outweighed the bad and I found myself really enjoying the story and characters. Overall a really good game with some obvious issues, lots of typos, so-so voice acting, somewhat out of place combat but such surprising attention to detail for a lower-budget title. Definitely another under appreciated classic ala Nier in my eyes. Thanks to all the posters who recommended this game, another example of a mid-tier title beating the AAA shite in all the areas that actually matter to me.

It's funny. Kaysen was so obviously suspicious that I thought "No way they're going to make it that easy, he's got to be a red herring." Then when Thomas disappeared I was like "I knew it!"...until it was George. Then once I killed George I was done, right? Wrong. It was the most obvious guy all along. I suppose maybe that was Swery's way of stumping the overly genre-savvy.

So, I have this game for the 360 but it's been stuck in my backlog. Now that the director's cut is out, is it worth it to double dip? Are the improvements worth it? I'm specifically curious about the controls.

Part of me wants to pick it up just to support the dev.

DavidPR

OMG Finally approved! I don't know what to say. It feels like I just won an Emmy. ;)

So, now that I'm finally up in this piece, if there is anything I can help you guys with or answer for you, please feel free to ask away. I'm more than happy to assist however/whenever I can.

Ooooh neat! I even have a special label.
Thanks to the mods ;3

OMG Finally approved! I don't know what to say. It feels like I just won an Emmy. ;)

So, now that I'm finally up in this piece, if there is anything I can help you guys with or answer for you, please feel free to ask away. I'm more than happy to assist however/whenever I can.

Thanks to the mods ;3

Cool, I think a lot of us are curious about any potential patches or future DLC episodes. Any news?

Thanks to the mods ;3

Not directly related to the director's cut... I only have a 360, and it's damn hard to find a copy of the original game. Is there any chance you guys can get the original put up on the US Games on Demand service on XBL? I believe it's already up in Europe, but for some reason it's not available on demand in the US. I really want to play the game, but I can't find it anywhere in stores. :(

Bittercup

So, I have this game for the 360 but it's been stuck in my backlog. Now that the director's cut is out, is it worth it to double dip? Are the improvements worth it? I'm specifically curious about the controls.

Part of me wants to pick it up just to support the dev.
I double dipped the other way around and bought the 360 version after the DC, just because I love this game so much :D
I finished the DC but haven't played the 360 very far but so far I would say it's a mixed bag of improvements and downgrades. There are effects missing in some scenes in the DC, like the wet road that mirrors the environment on it or on the red path there are normally flying leafs that are now absent which is strange, as the same effect is there in other scenes. I wonder why they changed this for the DC.
And the otherworld is way less dark and you don't need the flashlight which you could call a downgrade or an improvement either way.
But on the plus side, there is the much wider FOV, higher resolution and the biggest improvement, the controls. On the 360 they are plain terrible while in the DC they are more like a standard action game with a much more responsive camera control. Really different as night and day.
I would say, even though not everything is improved, for the controls alone the DC is worth it.

Where is the catsuit Emily wears in the trailer? :D

I've just started playing this, on chapter 6 now. I really really love it. Strange how production values don't mean anything when you can feel personality just oozing from a game! I want to start doing some sidequests. Here's the thing though, it is pouring rain and every shop is closed, and the map is so huge that I don't want to go trekking around blindly.

Are there any ways to set waypoints? Is there any sidequest I can do that makes navigating this place easier? And can I miss my town meeting appt and just do sidequests for as long as I need?

Bittercup

I've just started playing this, on chapter 6 now. I really really love it. Strange how production values don't mean anything when you can feel personality just oozing from a game! I want to start doing some sidequests. Here's the thing though, it is pouring rain and every shop is closed, and the map is so huge that I don't want to go trekking around blindly.

Are there any ways to set waypoints? Is there any sidequest I can do that makes navigating this place easier? And can I miss my town meeting appt and just do sidequests for as long as I need?
No waypoints, but you can just open the map and look around if any NPC has a notebook next to his/her name. If they have one, they have a quest for you so you don't have to drive around blindly.
If you have done the Arnold quest in the sheriff department, George gives you a new quest when he's at home while it's raining. The quest reward lets you teleport around the town to places you have already visited.
Yes most time limits for the main missions are just a time frame when you can continue the story, but you can go there any day you want and it makes no difference if you do sidequests first and go there days later.

I reviewed this for Save/Continue, giving it a 7/10.

This is not a traditional game by any means, so if you’re looking for traditional reasons to love a game, you won’t find them here. Those interested in something different, emotionally involving and personally investing won’t be disappointed. Deadly Premonition still stands as a unique experience three years on, even with its flaws. And it’s always worth putting up with a little bit of pain if the experience is so delicious.

Isn’t that right, Zach?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Gotta say thanks again to all who told me about this title and why I should pick it up. lol pretty cool stuff and totally batshit crazy!

Love it! Can see why its a cult classic.

Thanks to the mods ;3

Any news about patches, fixes or whatever else we could find interesting?

Jay Sosa

Thanks to the mods ;3

I wouldn't be so happy if I was you. You'll get bombed with questions when that patch finally will be released.

Btw: Any idea when we'll get that patch?

:p

DavidPR

pr manager seemed to be a bit full of shit after he posted the red room intro on youtube and tried to say with a straight-face that the framerate was smooth

Thanks for the kind words.

The that was pretty early in the game, at up until that point in the game, I had not encountered any major framerate issues. And still, having only had time to play through the first episode and a little past the art gallery, I've only seen any remotely significant framerate drop during item pickup cutscenes.

Any news about patches, fixes or whatever else we could find interesting?
Just put in a request for an update. :)

I wouldn't be so happy if I was you. You'll get bombed with
questions when that patch finally will be released.

Btw: Any idea when we'll get that patch?

:p
That's OK with me - that's what I'm here for.
I can tell you that tomorrow the we'll have some in-game DLC going up on the NTSC PSN storefront.

Top Bottom