• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

lol. I wouldn't say Red Seeds Profile ran well on the PS3. It was clearly inferior to the Xbox 360 version. The thing that stood out most in the original PS3 version were the audio issues. Stuttering and echo. Some (if not all) of those issues seem to be intact for the Director's Cut.

But, anyway, I've only played through the first two chapters in the Director's Cut, but I think game is fine. No, it doesn't run fine. Believe me, I'm one of the biggest framerate whores for console games out there. But considering how janky Deadly Premonition was originally, I don't think it detracts from the experience that much.

It's not like the framerate really affects the gameplay that much, because the gameplay wasn't very compelling in the first place. The controls are better than they were originally, and the combat is way easier.

The story is still there. The writing is still there. The characters are still there. The soundtrack is still there (and the bad audio mix is still there!). These are the things that Deadly Premonition was celebrated for. It was never the graphics or gameplay.

I can understand that maybe this is disappointing for first time Deadly Premonition players. It seems they've been victims of the hype.

I'll keep playing. I'll come back if my opinions drastically change. :)

Yep.

Though there's no excuse for it running AS badly as it does at times. When it drops to 5fps or less in certain areas and affects the XMB, it's just poor form.

Alfredo

So, should I cancel the order, and dig up the 360 copy instead?

I wanted to support this- but if the framerate is even worse than the original in some places, and the game is technically messy, is it worth it?

Sure, play it on 360. It doesn't really matter. As long as you play Deadly Premonition in some form. Just don't expect the game to blow you away. It's always been a "love it" or "hate it" game.

Personally, I think the Director's Cut is worth it for people who are already Deadly Premonition fans. I think the new camera controls are significant, since you're now able to see your favorite Deadly Premonition locales from new angles. But this kinda stuff wouldn't matter to an all-new player.

SkylineRKR

The problem is that this directors cut was being promoted as something with a shitload of new stuff (even the OP would lead you believe that there is new gameplay etc). But its the same shittyness as Red Seeds Profile on Ps3 albeit with better graphics that are still shit by todays standard and even the sound issues aren't fixed. I could understand some people find it to be a swindle.

In short; don't expect wonders.

But if you didn't play this game yet, its worth it. I sank 20 hours into it and it was worth it every cent.

Solidino

only 20 hours? O____O

8 hours of gameplay and i must talk
with olivia, in the back of AG dinner
i'm long from the ending?

SmithnCo

On chapter 9 and I haven't seen anything as bad as 5 FPS so far. Totally playable, though there are some hiccups here and there. Oddly sometimes it will be choppy when you pick up certain items and you see them spinning before they go in your inventory.

Not really a fan of the filter on the 360 version, soooo I don't mind it missing.

That said, I had to laugh at how shitty the water looks now. :lol

SkylineRKR

only 20 hours? O____O

8 hours of gameplay and i must talk
with olivia, in the back of AG dinner
i'm long from the ending?

I think thats about the halfway point. But I didn't do that many sidequests. You can get a lot out of this puppy.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Just picked up my copy from GameStop. They were still unpacking shipment when I came in.
Did you have it preordered, and, if so, did they call?

There isn't a store in a 100 mile radius that has a copy, but putting in my old zip code from Boston shows that plenty of stores there received their copies. I'm hoping it's just a timezone difference and I'll get my copy later today.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
Pre-ordered mine from ebgames.ca (They usually have insanely fast shipping for me) but there is no indication on their site that they even have the copies yet.

Bittercup

The water might be a bug or maybe due to a changed draw distance or something like that. Outside of this cutscene the effect is intact.
But I'm usually not a fan of changed art style. Not that the green filter looks particularly good but I wonder if there are more changes to the DC like this.
Maybe I will pick up the 360 version later as well just to have both versions :D

Did you have it preordered, and, if so, did they call?

There isn't a store in a 100 mile radius that has a copy, but putting in my old zip code from Boston shows that plenty of stores there received their copies. I'm hoping it's just a timezone difference and I'll get my copy later today.
I preordered and didn't get any call from GameStop. The online stock tracker only updates daily at 8AM, so don't use that.

I feel like based on everything that has been said, I see no point in buying this since I already own and love the 360 version. The visuals are better - but still pretty bad - and the price you pay for that is a worse framerate. The audio issues people have spoken about are glaringly obvious even in Youtube videos, even where compression and such is involved to mask it. It's like everyone is speaking in a tunnel and is distracting as fark. On top of that, i've read some of the spoilers for the new story content and it doesn't sound that great to be honest - some of the new ending stuff even seems like it softens the impact. I'd rather just observe the differences in a Let's Play video and hang on to my 360 copy, similar to how i'd rather own the original cut of Star Wars than George Lucas's newer bastardization.

Laranja

Still hasn't shipped yet.

My copy hasn't either. This whole thing has been handled pretty badly, I think. The fact that most technical problems are still present is baffling and now they seem to be having problems with the distribution, too?

Persona7

Banned
A few far away gamestops are popping up in the inventory finder so stores must be getting shipments now. Nice to know it updates as soon as they scan the shipment into the system because it wasn't showing anything within 100 miles 20 minutes ago.

Does anyone know what qualifies as low stock? They say that.

EDIT 11 more stores just popped up with stock when I refreshed

Another piece of good news: the pre-order suits are downloadable from PSN. I'm wearing my espresso suit right now--it even has a bowtie!

Persona7

Banned
The lady at gamestop I talked to yesterday just called to tell me I can go pick it up after 1pm as the shipment was just delivered seconds ago.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The lady at gamestop I talked to yesterday just called to tell me I can go pick it up after 1pm as the shipment was just delivered seconds ago.
And my GameStop confirmed that the shipment had come in and they had just unboxed it. It looks like everybody in the thread now has their copy!

Carnby

I was going to buy this day one. Heard about the frame rate issue. I'll wait until it's a 20 dollar game. I'm disappointed.

Laranja

I was going to buy this day one. Heard about the frame rate issue. I'll wait until it's a 20 dollar game. I'm disappointed.

I was gonna wait, too, but I think this game might have a fairly limited print. I'm not sure, but I've wanted to play it for years, so I wasn't going to take any chances and pre-ordered it. :p

I was gonna wait, too, but I think this game might have a fairly limited print. I'm not sure, but I've wanted to play it for years, so I wasn't going to take any chances and pre-ordered it. :p

I can't recommend it enough for first time players. This is the kind of game that you just expect to be a mess technically. My pre-order at GameStop was also the only one, as well as the only copy they received period. If you really want to own this game new, then I wouldn't wait too long.

Bittercup

Starting side missions seems complicated to me. Even with a side mission guide I have a hard time finding the right moment to talk to the person.
I'm still at Chapter 3:
Like helping with the boxes in the Milk Barn. I did the first mission, returned more than 24h later, the weather is fine and I can talk to her but she doesn't give the next quest. And I can't find George ever at home. Or the guy at the gas station. I talked to him once and gave him 100$ and the quest says he wants 1000$, but since then I wasn't able to give him any additional money.

Starting side missions seems complicated to me. Even with a side mission guide I have a hard time finding the right moment to talk to the person.
I'm still at Chapter 3:
Like helping with the boxes in the Milk Barn. I did the first mission, returned more than 24h later, the weather is fine and I can talk to her but she doesn't give the next quest. And I can't find George ever at home. Or the guy at the gas station. I talked to him once and gave him 100$ and the quest says he wants 1000$, but since then I wasn't able to give him any additional money.
You can only do one side quest from the same chain of side quests within a single Chapter. Come back after you've finished a mission from the main story.

Alfredo

One interesting little change I noticed.

MAJOR SPOILERS
They changed George's license plate from "HESTHE1" to "IMTHE1," making it even MORE obvious as to his nature than it was originally. :p

I was the only person who preoredered a copy at my local gamestop. They said that if they don't get at least three preorders they won't carry any copies to sell in the the stores. Poor Swery. Can't say this is a first for me but at least I got my copy. Installing the game now. Also did anyone who preorder the game from gamestop get thier esspresso suit dlc to work. IIt downloads fine but the game says it's not compatible and must be deleted before the game can boot up. Weird.

I was the only person who preoredered a copy at my local gamestop. They said that if they don't get at least three preorders they won't carry any copies to sell in the the stores. Poor Swery. Can't say this is a first for me but at least I got my copy. Installing the game now. Also did anyone who preorder the game from gamestop get thier esspresso suit dlc to work. IIt downloads fine but the game says it's not compatible and must be deleted before the game can boot up. Weird.

Yep, it worked fine for me and I've been wearing it. I did install the game first before quitting out, and then entered the key and downloaded the espresso suit.

My gamestop told me it was shipping and was to arrive today at 12, both when I called yesterday and this morning before school, but when I went by on the way home they didn't have it. Bummer, hopefully they get it in tomorrow.

If nothing else they said they got 7 pre-orders, seems pretty decent!

amazon finally shipped

any development on that patch rumor
No. That was just someone in this thread I think, hoping for a patch. I wouldn't hold my breath.

I really need to play the Xbox version for a bit because I can't remember the game performing anywhere nearly as poorly as the PS3 version. I'm definitely going to complete the story on PS3 and probably go for a platinum trophy for the first time ever, but this frame rate is driving me nuts at times. I know for sure there weren't any echoing voices in the Xbox version.

Honestly, even there are many issues, the game is still really playable and enjoyable. :)

Yea it is. The controls are SO MUCH BETTER.

I decided to cancel my Amazon order and picked up the Day 1 digital on PSN. Maybe it's because it's digital but the frame-rate hasn't been that bad at all.

Alfredo

Some more comparisons.

The trees seem more numerous and are definitely more detailed in the Director's Cut. It's to the point that the leaves often get in the way of the camera, which wasn't the case in the original.

tumblr_mm5fieELGY1r96fbco2_1280.png

Original Xbox 360

tumblr_mm5fieELGY1r96fbco1_1280.png

Director's Cut

I wonder if this has anything to do with the poor framerate.

Some more comparisons.

The trees seem more numerous and are definitely more detailed in the Director's Cut. It's to the point that the leaves often get in the way of the camera, which wasn't the case in the original.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the poor framerate.

I think I like the Director's Cut version much better, had forgotten how sickening the purple haze could be. Don't think it was always supposed to be there in any case.

In any case, more comparisons while I wait until tomorrow! Any move players yet? I might be the first one on gaf to do so, lol.

Teknoman

So far it seems like this ended up being a Silent Hill HD collection botch? I've still got my 5 bucks on the game, but I might just switch and end up getting the 360 version at some point.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Does anyone have this ordered at EB in Canada? Know if they got their stock in / are getting their stock in this week?

SmithnCo

So far it seems like this ended up being a Silent Hill HD collection botch? I've still got my 5 bucks on the game, but I might just switch and end up getting the 360 version at some point.

I wouldn't say so. It's still perfectly playable and improved in ways. I can see it being hard to play if you are attuned to framerate stuff though.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Does anyone have this ordered at EB in Canada? Know if they got their stock in / are getting their stock in this week?

I bought it today in Winnipeg Manitoba. Walk-in too, I didn't have a pre-order and they had 2 copies I believe

Persona7

Banned
The store I went to got 14 pre-orders, which is good for a game like this.

I got my copy but I can't play it until tomorrow.

Teknoman

I wouldn't say so. It's still perfectly playable and improved in ways. I can see it being hard to play if you are attuned to framerate stuff though.

Well I mean as long as the framerate doesnt drop to like single digit unplayable levels, but i'd I might have to wait to see more gameplay.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Got my copy and played a half hour. One of the fantastic things about still using an SDTV is that the game actually doesn't look too bad. I won't use my Espresso Suit key, so if someone wants it, quote to reveal the code and tell me you grabbed it.

Not even close. The framerate is not that bad; perhaps more of a thing for people really sensitive to it. The control improvements are really fantastic, and removing the color filters is a welcome change.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Got my copy and played a half hour. One of the fantastic things about still using an SDTV is that the game actually doesn't look too bad. I won't use my Espresso Suit key, so if someone wants it, quote to reveal the code and tell me you grabbed it.

Thank you sir! :D

Top Bottom