• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition: Director's Cut |OT| Day One, there's no but. So says Mr. Stewart.

For the people who have played both, is the improvements/changes to this version worth buying the game again? I've had it for the 360 but haven't had the time to sit down with it. So should I skip the 360 version and just go with the PS3 version? Thanks guys.

It depends on what you prefer:

- Ps3 has framerate issues but better textures, 360 has excellent framerate but blurry graphics.
- Ps3 has a better balanced gameplay, on 360 you will hate the crawlers.
- Ps3 has reportedly a better control scheme (I was ok with both, so don't take my word for it)
- Ps3 has a bug that could prevent you from getting 100%, 360 has a game breaking bug that could force you to restart the game

Aguirre

just listened to york talk about dvd extras and special features, and that movies from the 80's usually have limited extras in dvd releases.

how insightful. right, zach? :p

I was really disappointed that in the end that weren't that many more movie discussions between York and Zach in the car after the beginning of the game. I thought there was going to be a lot of them but in the end there wasn't. They should have added more in for the directors cut.

So I'm taking the plunge and picking this up despite mixed reviews - the game sounds totally compelling.

My favorite thing to do in open-world games is fart around and explore, discovers secrets and easter eggs, etc. I'd say my favorite open-world series is probably Yakuza. Am I in for a treat?

Locke_211

So I'm taking the plunge and picking this up despite mixed reviews - the game sounds totally compelling.

My favorite thing to do in open-world games is fart around and explore, discovers secrets and easter eggs, etc. I'd say my favorite open-world series is probably Yakuza. Am I in for a treat?

Absolutely. Remember there's absolutely no shame in looking up a couple of near-essential side-quest rewards. They don't just give you piddly things but rewards that make the game a lot kinder!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I was really disappointed that in the end that weren't that many more movie discussions between York and Zach in the car after the beginning of the game. I thought there was going to be a lot of them but in the end there wasn't. They should have added more in for the directors cut.

Definitely, but I do love the expansions (at least, I think there were expansions) for the Coffee fortunes. So many, and quite fun to listen to.

Absolutely. Remember there's absolutely no shame in looking up a couple of near-essential side-quest rewards. They don't just give you piddly things but rewards that make the game a lot kinder!

Could you recommend me any good spoiler-free sidequest guides? I assume this game has a lot of missables?

Alfredo

Exploration and farting around goes even beyond the sidequests. Characters have their own schedule, and will go around town, interacting with different inhabitants. You can follow them around, listen in on their conversations. You can also peak into people's houses and check on what they're up to. Some weird stuff can go on when they think they're alone.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

- Ps3 has framerate issues but better textures, 360 has excellent framerate but blurry graphics.
- Ps3 has reportedly a better control scheme (I was ok with both, so don't take my word for it)
- Ps3 has a bug that could prevent you from getting 100%, 360 has a game breaking bug that could force you to restart the game

What's this game breaking bug on the 360? Also what's with the crawlers on the 360 (I'm guessing that's the one that comes out the vents)?

Bittercup

Could you recommend me any good spoiler-free sidequest guides? I assume this game has a lot of missables?
In this guide, if you scroll down to the Sidequests:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/943397-deadly-premonition/faqs/59531
there is just a list of all quests sorted by in which chapters you can do them. There are no spoilers, only who gives when which quest so you don't miss one.
If you need help with a sidequest, this guide explains what you have to do:
http://shshatteredmemories.com/greenvale/sidequests

I normally dont ask this, but is the game a buy or no buy?
I understand why this game got so mixed reactions with some love it as a masterpiece other think it's a bad game. So I think there's no universal answer.
If gameplay is very important for you or if you are very sensible to fps-problems and overall a weak technical presentation it could really drag your experience down.
I love this game for its amazing characters, especially York and the interesting story and for that I find the game highly recommendable.

Another question: about how long will one playthrough of this game take? The director's cut has multiple endings, right?
Around 25h. Could be longer depending on how fast you can complete all sidequests (and whether or not you use a guide) or shorter if you just play the main story.
No I think it's just extended compared to the 360 ending, but no multiple endings.

What's this game breaking bug on the 360? Also what's with the crawlers on the 360 (I'm guessing that's the one that comes out the vents)?
If you're holding a key essential for story advancement and replay an older chapter, the key will be gone once you've completed it and come back to the current chapter. It's definitely avoidable if you are careful.

The crawlers just take more hits and are therefore more annoying, I guess.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
In this guide, if you scroll down to the Sidequests:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/943397-deadly-premonition/faqs/59531
there is just a list of all quests sorted by in which chapters you can do them. There are no spoilers, only who gives when which quest so you don't miss one.
If you need help with a sidequest, this guide explains what you have to do:
http://shshatteredmemories.com/greenvale/sidequests

I understand why this game got so mixed reactions with some love it as a masterpiece other think it's a bad game. So I think there's no universal answer.
If gameplay is very important for you or if you are very sensible to fps-problems and overall a weak technical presentation it could really drag your experience down.
I love this game for its amazing characters, especially York and the interesting story and for that I find the game highly recommendable.

Around 25h. Could be longer depending on how fast you can complete all sidequests (and whether or not you use a guide) or shorter if you just play the main story.
No I think it's just extended compared to the 360 ending, but no multiple endings.

Buy!

It actually depends on what you value in a game.
Graphics and precise gameplay?
Or story, characters and atmosphere/setting?

Just buy it anyways, if you end up not liking it feel free to track me down and kick my butt :p

Probably depends on what you like.

Another question: about how long will one playthrough of this game take? The director's cut has multiple endings, right?

buy buy buy

you HAVE to experience this for better or worse. its in my top 5 games of this gen

1)demons souls
2)dark souls
3)uncharted 2
4)mgs4
5)deadly premonition!
also
6)journey

Thanks for the answers folks! Was interested in it mainly due to the cult following it originally / still does have. Will see if I can get my hands on it over here.

Bowler

buy buy buy

you HAVE to experience this for better or worse. its in my top 5 games of this gen

1)demons souls
2)dark souls
3)uncharted 2
4)mgs4
5)deadly premonition!
also
6)journey

that's a bad ass list you have there... all of them are in my top 10... well except DP, as I haven't started it yet.

icespide

Banned
I thought the boss fights were pretty fine, and I hate boss fights!

mechanically, they were serviceable, they just came out of nowhere and didn't fit with the rest of the game. you spend 15 hours with no bossfights and then all of a sudden they throw a ton at you

Locke_211

mechanically, they were serviceable, they just came out of nowhere and didn't fit with the rest of the game. you spend 15 hours with no bossfights and then all of a sudden they throw a ton at you

I did find the
Boss Rush side-quest a little annoying. I died on the running away section and forced myself to go right back for another try or I'd never have 100%d it. Did it the second time, though! With the magnum they don't even take that many hits.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wait... I feel like I'm almost at the end
(I already beat those like 5 wall crawly things in the bar). And there is a lot more bullshit I have to go through? :/ I stopped it at the part where young York is following someone (I can't remember if it's his father or something... I just turned it off as soon as it saved). I have to go through boss fights? That sounds horrible.

buy buy buy

1)demons souls
2)dark souls
3)uncharted 2
4)mgs4
5)deadly premonition!
also
6)journey

Where are Catherine and Nier? :(

Wait... I feel like I'm almost at the end
(I already beat those like 5 wall crawly things in the bar). And there is a lot more bullshit I have to go through? :/ I stopped it at the part where young York is following someone (I can't remember if it's his father or something... I just turned it off as soon as it saved). I have to go through boss fights? That sounds horrible.

There are only two boss fights in the whole game at the end, each fight is split into three parts.

Lysandus

Neo Member
I'm only just starting out the game but each day so far (2 days in game) I need to be at a certain place by a certain time that day. Does the game eventually open up where you don't need to be somewhere, giving you time to do all the side quests and stuff?

Also, what happens if you are out in the middle of nowhere and the car runs out of gas?

I'm only just starting out the game but each day so far (2 days in game) I need to be at a certain place by a certain time that day. Does the game eventually open up where you don't need to be somewhere, giving you time to do all the side quests and stuff?

Also, what happens if you are out in the middle of nowhere and the car runs out of gas?

The game will always give you time limits until the end, just ignore them if you want to do sidequests. The only time you cannot ignore them is when you get unlimited fuel and damage to your car, in that case... DRIVE! But it happens pretty rarely.
More than time limits you can refer them as time windows.

After the end of the game
there is still some post game content you can do.

If you run out of fuel you can use a flash signal to call for another car, the radio to get you teleported somewhere else or you can walk to a car parking where the partol cars spawn like at the hotel, the milk barn or in front of Jim's cabin on top of the mountain.

KageMaru

Hey thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I guess I'll just stick with what I got and buy the PS3 version if I enjoy the game enough.

I will be upset if I get hit with that game breaking bug though. =p

Lysandus

Neo Member
The game will always give you time limits until the end, just ignore them if you want to do sidequests. The only time you cannot ignore them is when you get unlimited fuel and damage to your car, in that case... DRIVE! But it happens pretty rarely.
More than time limits you can refer them as time windows.

After the end of the game
there is still some post game content you can do.

If you run out of fuel you can use a flash signal to call for another car, the radio to get you teleported somewhere else or you can walk to a car parking where the partol cars spawn like at the hotel, the milk barn or in front of Jim's cabin on top of the mountain.

So I could just waste 3 game days doing whatever before
meeting the towns people
as long as I eventually go there during the allotted time?

Hey thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

I guess I'll just stick with what I got and buy the PS3 version if I enjoy the game enough.

I will be upset if I get hit with that game breaking bug though. =p

Don't replay chapters until late in the game and you should be fine. Especially don't do it when you're carrying key items.

So I could just waste 3 game days doing whatever before
meeting the towns people
as long as I eventually go there during the allotted time?

Correct! I do feel a little bad for making them wait though :p

Agent Francis York Morgan it is unwise to be talking on your phone, smoking a cigarette and messing with your laptop during stormy weather while driving your car. How could you possibly NOT expect to crash during this scenario. So says Mr. Stewart.

Aguirre

Agent Francis York Morgan it is unwise to be talking on your phone, smoking a cigarette and messing with your laptop during stormy weather while driving your car. How could you possibly NOT expect to crash during this scenario. So says Mr. Stewart.

lol i thought it'd be funny if someone shopped in yaoi onto the laptop XD

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

He never gets his car back either. Thomas, what did you do with it?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
To all those that helped with an answer to the question about getting the game, mine should arrive tomorrow. Unless the delivery guy gets lost again.

Starting this tonight after work. Anything I should know about it going in, besides the obvious jank?

Edit: Playing now. Am I supposed to be doing anything during the profiling segments or are they just cinematic?

So where does York keep his "flashlight"? Stuffed inside his jacket pocket? It must be really small yet powerful to shine through the fabric like that.

Serious question: so the only time limit on side quests is the time of day you do them, right? Can certain quests get canceled if I advance the storyline?

Bittercup

Serious question: so the only time limit on side quests is the time of day you do them, right? Can certain quests get canceled if I advance the storyline?
Side quests are only available in specific chapters. Some are only unlocked later in the game, others have to be done earlier and are no longer there if you progress too far. And quest chains from the same person are restricted to one quest per chapter, so you have to play to the next chapter for the next part of the side quest.
But you can always replay chapters if you miss one.

Side quests are only available in specific chapters. Some are only unlocked later in the game, others have to be done earlier and are no longer there if you progress too far. And quest chains from the same person are restricted to one quest per chapter, so you have to play to the next chapter for the next part of the side quest.
But you can always replay chapters if you miss one.

So going back and redoing chapters doesn't interfere with continuity at all - you just take the items you get from the sidequest back to the normal game?

Bittercup

So going back and redoing chapters doesn't interfere with continuity at all - you just take the items you get from the sidequest back to the normal game?
Yes exactly. When you replay chapters, you can't save and have to complete the chapter and at the end all your progress from the replay gets transferred to your actual save.
Just be careful when you have quest items like keys. There are reports that the game can glitch and you loose the key when replaying a chapter.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I really wish this game was better. There are a lot of good ideas in here. I really like the use of open world in something other than a huge city. Plus the fact that you go through your work day and then have time to do other stuff is great. Going to sleep in your hotel room and waking up to Polly making you breakfast is a fantastic touch. Also I really like how each of the main characters have their own schedules throughout the day.

There is just so much bullshit.

hertog

buy buy buy

1)demons souls
2)dark souls
3)uncharted 2
4)mgs4
5)deadly premonition!

Wow, great list

What are you a joke-poster in OT and awesome on the gaming side?

Include Nier, Ni no kuni, Disgaea 4, Catherine and my guilty pleasure Street Fighter X Tekken and my top ten is done.

I'm not far into this game, but looking at your list I'm absolutely sure I'll love it.

Aguirre

Wow, great list

What are you a joke-poster in OT and awesome on the gaming side?

Include Nier, Ni no kuni, Disgaea 4, Catherine and my guilty pleasure Street Fighter X Tekken and my top ten is done.

I'm not far into this game, but looking at your list I'm absolutely sure I'll love it.

thanks! if i may ask, whats your top 5?

well last night i
just got to the saw mill
i liked when york punctuated the morgue scene with the moves to checkmate the chess player on the computer.

Top Bottom