• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Man those character based side quests are amazing, so much story content that wasn't covered in those GiantBomb Endurance Runs.

Minamu

Try to find those special weapons, like infinite magnum and smg. They help a LOT. Collect all 7 bones spread out across the map to get the magnum (need to have met Kaysen before you can trade them in). You can buy a secret map from Keith to get the smg (after a few easy regular zombie fights).

I just noticed in the Spotlight section of the dashboard at the moment there is an advert for Deadly Premonition saying "DOWNLOAD FREE CONTENT", but the only free thing available is the trailer. Anyone know what this is meant to be relating to?

adamsapple

Minamu said:
Try to find those special weapons, like infinite magnum and smg. They help a LOT. Collect all 7 bones spread out across the map to get the magnum (need to have met Kaysen before you can trade them in). You can buy a secret map from Keith to get the smg (after a few easy regular zombie fights).

Infinite Wrench is pretty effing amazing.

u_neek

I'm totally in love with this game - already high on my GOTY list! Currently the lumber mill and wondering when would be a good time to start doing sidequests...?

Minamu

As soon as you can, I guess? Quests can only be started at certain points during certain chapters so get to it :) A lot of quests seem to be available in many different chapters, otherwise you'll need to do some time travelling later on :)

adamsapple

Please remember that as soon as someone who gives you a side quest becomes .. unavailable .. that side quest or that entire chain of side quests related to them disappears as well, so it's always a good idea to scout the entire map for side stuff BEFORE doing the chapter's story centric event.

krakov

I just spend some time every chapter driving around in town and trying to learn the layout of things. The map is pretty bad but you can learn pretty quickly where everything is and where people usually hang out. Also, combat is so much easier than they made it look in the endurance run. The lumber mill was a breeze.

I'm a bit sad that I spoiled myself by watching the endurance runs, but on the other hand, those days were pretty amazing. Waking up to new episode every weekday was awesome.

Jex

Oh god, I just got to the conversation after you do the town hall
about the horrific murderer when everyone was trying to eat. So good. I couldn't stop laughing.

Zachack

chandoog said:
Please remember that as soon as someone who gives you a side quest becomes .. unavailable .. that side quest or that entire chain of side quests related to them disappears as well, so it's always a good idea to scout the entire map for side stuff BEFORE doing the chapter's story centric event.
You can always go back and replay chapters.

I beat the game after losing all my progress due to the save bug and just powering through the game. If you're just getting the game I strongly recommend playing through chapter 2 and then replaying it with Gamefaqs open to get the radio (what you "lose" in gaming experience due to cheating is minor in comparison to the huge improvement the game sees when you can warp around if you choose to). And get the bones early on for the two related quests. After that you can futz around all you like and do sidequests or whatever.

MrDaravon

So I picked this up recently after watching the first few episodes of Giant Bomb's Endurance Run; as someone who still jokes around with friends about Resident Evil 1 lines, I can totally deal with old graphics and tank controls, and it looked crazy enough to check out. I just hit the start of Chapter 3, my jaw was on the floor for all of the cutscenes running up to the ending of Chapter 2 and the start of Chapter 3. I literally could not explain this game to someone, it is so fucking absurd and insane.

I fucking love it. I feel so bad now for buying it used (was a B2G1 a while back) that I will buy a new copy and give it to one of my friends.

Turnstyle

I finished chapter 4 last night. Things very much seem to be coming to a conclusion, I'm guessing the last two chapters are quite short?

Unless there's a big plot twist at the end,
I worked out who the rain coat killer was in the 2nd chapter (when you're with George at the bar, and he's telling you about his childhood and the tree). It seemed quite obvious, but like I say, maybe there's a plot twist coming.

This game is a constant delight. I'll be sad when the ride is over. :eek:(

adamsapple

Turnstyle said:
I finished chapter 4 last night. Things very much seem to be coming to a conclusion, I'm guessing the last two chapters are quite short?

Unless there's a big plot twist at the end,
I worked out who the rain coat killer was in the 2nd chapter (when you're with George at the bar, and he's telling you about his childhood and the tree). It seemed quite obvious, but like I say, maybe there's a plot twist coming.

This game is a constant delight. I'll be sad when the ride is over. :eek:(

There's certain stuff that isn't even unlocked until you beat the game, so even when the story is over you'll still be spending some more time in Greenvale.

Turnstyle

chandoog said:
There's certain stuff that isn't even unlocked until you beat the game, so even when the story is over you'll still be spending some more time in Greenvale.

Ah, that's good to hear.

I notice on the back of the box (PAL land), there is a reference to downloadable content. Anyone know what this is?

adamsapple

Turnstyle said:
Ah, that's good to hear.

I notice on the back of the box (PAL land), there is a reference to downloadable content. Anyone know what this is?

I think it's just gamer pics or something, i remember this was asked on the official Rising Star Games forums as well.

Ya, you have a while to go, some cool story and twists to go through. And you definitely won't want it to end when it gets there. There's a small bonus at the end if you get all the cards, not to mention some backstory in the sidequests themselves.

Minamu

I'm having some trouble with getting certain quests to start :( Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I managed to start Emily's first cooking quest and finished it. But even though I return the next raining day (or several days later), she won't start the second one even though I'm still in chapter 2 which should be okay. Can I only do one quest per character per episode or something? I can't seem to get Ushah to start his in the hospital either. Why? :(

Same thing with Lysander and the Pot Lady...

Also, anyone else having serious issues with lockups? I pretty much save whenever I see a phone now so I won't have to replay too much every time I load up the game (and it just happened again after leaving Emily's house, which is why I'm not playing anymore atm :lol)

Dries

Somebody explain this game to me. It's recieving so much praise everywhere, but every time I look up a video on youtube I see a PS2 game with terrible animations and awkward dialogue and I don't know what to think... And I also don't like games that ''are so bad that they're good'', because I just think they're bad then. However, I do LOVE Twin Peaks, Alan Wake, and David Lynch..

But basically you play this game for the story right? How long is it to complete the story? I don't think I could stand more than 15 hours of teh awkwardness.. And are the sidequests also in service of the story? If I play this game, it probably won't be for the gameplay, but for the story.

So someone, please tell me what to do!

Dries

I Push Fat Kids said:
If you LOVE Twin Peaks then it should be obvious as to why you should play it.

Yeah yeah I know, but those gameplay videos REALLY turn me off. It looks terrible. And I don't mean only the graphics.

Jex

"I catch criminals, not fish". Even these little sidequests have charming character interactions and really serve to flesh out the personalities of everyone in town.

Dries

Took a leap of faith and ordered it.

This will be either one of the worst or one of the best purchases I've ever made :lol

adamsapple

Dries said:
Took a leap of faith and ordered it.

This will be either one of the worst or one of the best purchases I've ever made :lol

Get through the game play bits as fast as you can to the talky bits and you'll have a blast.

Minamu

I only have one card left to get (plus the secret one) and then I'm done with my first playthrough. It took about 25 hours to get this far. Most of the gameplay is sub-par but the story and characters are so goddamn lovable, it's crazy :) If emotional and personal impact was a GOTY category, it would definitely win.

Dries

Well I guess my leap of faith with this one was not so succesfull after all. This must be the worst game I have ever played. I promised myself to not let the gameplay and graphics spoil the story and characters, but I just can't look past it. Gameplay and graphics are truly at such a low level that it is spoiling the whole game for me.. And to be honest, the story and weird/ Lynch-ness aren't that special either...

Btw, just finished the
autopsy scene and hospital escape
so not too far yet, but I can't see myself playing any more of it..

:(

Minamu

Coldsnap said:
Can anyone help me locate the skull bone? I cannot for the life of me find it / see it on my map...
I have no idea where specific bones are located, but I assume you haven't gotten the one at Anna's Tree? It's unlocked by chapter 7 I believe? The rest are scattered all over the woods and should be fairly easy to see on the map. Look for yellow off-roads on the map for they all lead to a bone, more or less.

Dries: If you go and get the infinite SMG and infinite Magnum (you get the magnum by collecting these bones we're talking about), that should make the gameplay a lot less annoying. Might help :D

Dries said:
Well I guess my leap of faith with this one was not so succesfull after all. This must be the worst game I have ever played. I promised myself to not let the gameplay and graphics spoil the story and characters, but I just can't look past it. Gameplay and graphics are truly at such a low level that it is spoiling the whole game for me.. And to be honest, the story and weird/ Lynch-ness aren't that special either...

Btw, just finished the
autopsy scene and hospital escape
so not too far yet, but I can't see myself playing any more of it..

:(

The gameplay is pretty bad, yeah, but you didn't see anything regarding the weird/ Lynch-ness...yet.

I'd say keep playing, but if you're already worn out after a couple of gunplay sections, I don't know if you could go much further, it's a shame having a AW avatar you should play until the end of DP and be blown away by the plot compared to AW.

Coldsnap

Minamu said:
I have no idea where specific bones are located, but I assume you haven't gotten the one at Anna's Tree? It's unlocked by chapter 7 I believe? The rest are scattered all over the woods and should be fairly easy to see on the map. Look for yellow off-roads on the map for they all lead to a bone, more or less.

Dries: If you go and get the infinite SMG and infinite Magnum (you get the magnum by collecting these bones we're talking about), that should make the gameplay a lot less annoying. Might help :D

Yea, I got that one. Thanks for the help though. Maybe the skull doesn't unlock until later chapters. I am fairly far into the game though...

Reknoc

Coldsnap said:
Yea, I got that one. Thanks for the help though. Maybe the skull doesn't unlock until later chapters. I am fairly far into the game though...

Pretty sure I got them all before I went to the art gallery.

Maybe I'm just weird but I was pleasently surprised by the gunplay. It's not amazing or anything but I didn't find it as unbearably bad as I was expecting. Now the driving on the other hand...

Minamu

Coldsnap said:
They are all visible on the map from the get go, only the one at Anna's Tree is locked away. You either have it already or you just missed it. It's definitely there somewhere :) Check gamefaqs for a list, I'd say.

Dries

Relaxed Muscle said:
The gameplay is pretty bad, yeah, but you didn't see anything regarding the weird/ Lynch-ness...yet.

I'd say keep playing, but if you're already worn out after a couple of gunplay sections, I don't know if you could go much further, it's a shame having a AW avatar you should play until the end of DP and be blown away by the plot compared to AW.

I would love to keep playing, but I really don't know if I can ;p someone else said somewhere in this topic that he would've loved DP if it was a movie, but as a game it just didn't work for him. I also feel that way. Man I am really bummed out, cause I really wanted to experience the story.. Who knows maybe I'll give it another shot, but probably not.

Minamu said:

It's not just that, it's the whole low budget thingie. I guess I'm jst more sensitive to that kind of stuff.

Coldsnap

Minamu said:
They are all visible on the map from the get go, only the one at Anna's Tree is locked away. You either have it already or you just missed it. It's definitely there somewhere :) Check gamefaqs for a list, I'd say.

>.> I found it... FK's dog took it from me earlier in a play through and I must have forgotten.

Dries

Clevinger said:
Just give up, Dries. The game appeals to a very small niche, and you ain't part of it.

But if you're really that interested in the story, there's a Let's Play over at Something Awful.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3368004

High quality video, and you can skip all the gameplay parts and cut right to the cutscenes/story.

I realize I am too interested in the story to just give up this easy. I'm just too big of a Lynch/surreal japanese shit fan to let this one pass.

Someone tell me, it the story really worth it? Then I will continue playing.

Clevinger

Given that you said:

And to be honest, the story and weird/ Lynch-ness aren't that special either

No, it is not worth it for you to play a game you don't enjoy for a story/atmosphere that you don't find interesting or special. Many think the story is really great, myself included.

But like I said previously, you don't even have to play the game at all to see the story. Go to the Something Awful thread and download those Let's Play videos. You can skip all the gameplay and just watch the story.

Coldsnap

Anyone else think Emily and Agent York Morgan was one of the best relationships in games this year? I mean what other game can you follow someone's drive home from work then peak in her windows. haha so strange... also look at Emily's kitchen through her window for a good laugh.

Minamu

Coldsnap said:
>.> I found it... FK's dog took it from me earlier in a play through and I must have forgotten.
Oh :( Any idea if that'll grant you a magnum? Not sure what happens if you come back with all of them after he's already taken some of them :S

There's also the Giant Bomb endurance run where most of us learned to love this game. GB never learned, but we did :D

krakov

Dries said:
I realize I am too interested in the story to just give up this easy. I'm just too big of a Lynch/surreal japanese shit fan to let this one pass.

Someone tell me, it the story really worth it? Then I will continue playing.

Totally worth it.

Dries

Clevinger said:
Given that you said:

No, it is not worth it for you to play a game you don't enjoy for a story/atmosphere that you don't find interesting or special. Many think the story is really great, myself included.

But like I said previously, you don't even have to play the game at all to see the story. Go to the Something Awful thread and download those Let's Play videos. You can skip all the gameplay and just watch the story.

I've only played up until the hospital, so I'm hoping it will still open up.

Also, kind off watch the spoilers dudes, I'm reading stuff I would rather find out by myself (nothing major, but still...)

Coldsnap

Minamu said:
Oh :( Any idea if that'll grant you a magnum? Not sure what happens if you come back with all of them after he's already taken some of them :S

There's also the Giant Bomb endurance run where most of us learned to love this game. GB never learned, but we did :D

I think once I have given the dog a bone I blew my chance to get the magnum. Kasen still has the quest icon above his head but his dog will not react to me. Oh well. I want the flamethrower way more anyways.

pakkit

Banned
I've never seen this game in a store or else I would totally buy it.

Loved Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
Loved Alan Wake.
Love David Lynch.
Loved No More Heroes.

I don't really see where this game can disappoint.

Mollymauk

pakkit said:
I've never seen this game in a store or else I would totally buy it.

Loved Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.
Loved Alan Wake.
Love David Lynch.
Loved No More Heroes.

I don't really see where this game can disappoint.
Find it, and play it. :D

It's my game of the generation. It's the only game I have ever gone the extra mile to get all 1000 gamerpoints. It starts off rough, but after you get into it you begin to see it's genius, and all of a sudden it starts being great.

There's nothing else like it.

hipgnosis

Just started playing this one, had a couple of good laughs already. This game is so weird. :lol

Just reached the hospital, when can I start doing side missions?

Clevinger

hipgnosis said:
Just started playing this one, had a couple of good laughs already. This game is so weird. :lol

Just reached the hospital, when can I start doing side missions?

You can start doing them from the beginning. Just go around town meeting people and when they have a number hovering above them, that means there's a side quest. Don't worry about not meeting Emily/George on time. They'll just whine at you when you eventually show up, and that's it.

Anna's mother, Quint, and Becky, all have side quests open at the start, I believe.

hipgnosis

Clevinger said:
You can start doing them from the beginning. Just go around town meeting people and when they have a number hovering above them, that means there's a side quest. Don't worry about not meeting Emily/George on time. They'll just whine at you when you eventually show up, and that's it.

Anna's mother, Quint, and Becky, all have side quests open at the start, I believe.
Okay cool. I haven't missed anything yet have I?

Top Bottom