• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadly Premonition |OT| first real survival-horror for X360

Enjoy the ride. It's worth playing through for the story and characters, and the game picks up when you get done with the tutorial area and make it into Greenvale.

Noticed Deadly Premonition is getting some promotion on the Inside Xbox section of the Dashboard... it is one of the "Halloween 2010 - Games to spook Up your 360" recommendations.

Do well little game!!!

Stampy

Man, this game is something special. I am now at 6th chapter, but was unfortunately totally ignoring the side-quests. Did I miss something, or can I finish them all at this point too?

mollipen

Stampy said:
Man, this game is something special. I am now at 6th chapter, but was unfortunately totally ignoring the side-quests. Did I miss something, or can I finish them all at this point too?

You can go back and re-play previous chapter to do side quests. I think. I didn't find out about that until after I beat the game, so I've never directly tried it myself.

Sporty

Neo Member
Stampy said:

like shidoshi said, you can replay the chapters anytime to do side quests.

You don't even need to complete the game if you want to get on them. I repeated quite a few chapters often to get the side quests that were available on the ps3 Japanese version. Imagine the 360 is the same way.

One thing to keep in mind though is repeating chapters locks you out form being able to save till you complete that chapter again. Phones don't work on the repeat.

Stampy

Baloonatic said:
The only thing that really bugs me is the map. Other than that, I'm enjoying it a lot. The dialogue is great.

The dialogue is awesome, so laid back and ordinary and at the same time absurdly funny. Most other protagonist in AAA games just look bland and one dimensional when compared to York. I hope this game will do well in Europe too, just for the sake of knowing that players around the world are also enjoying this gem of a game.

Omikaru

Played the first part of this and I'm really, really enjoying it. :D

I got a major LOL from the squirrels with the monkey sounds in the opening cutscene.
:lol

All told, despite the funny bits, I'm actually pleasantly surprised. The game is so strange that I'm completely hooked.

Stampy

Although the countryside in this game is rather empty, the music while driving is mostly put on repeat, but still I am finding the driving parts much less tedious than in GTA4. I don't know, maybe it is not completely rational, maybe it is all based on knowing that such a cool guy with cigarette in his mouth is driving the police car.

Oh, yes, regarding the details, the cigarette is totally appropriate for this character, unlike in MGS, for example, where it feels somewhat forced.

Snake smoking is forced? Whut?
Omikaru said:
I got a major LOL from the squirrels with the monkey sounds in the opening cutscene.
:lol
:lol Twas great.

Can someone recommend a good faq for the cards & sidequests?

Zeouterlimits said:
Snake smoking is forced? Whut?
The thing with Snake is that he picks up a cigarette and says "This is what cool people do? Smoke? Okay I'll do it too."

From the opening alone you can tell York has a laundry list of issues and cigarettes and coffee are like air and water to him. Sometimes the dude will pull out a cigarette and then not even smoke it. He's a natural mess and it is wonderful.

Zeouterlimits said:
Can someone recommend a good faq for the cards & sidequests?
I found this one to be useful when trying to make my way through the Japanese version. You might still need to use a combo of Google and Youtube for some of the quests and cards though as they can be a pain.

So, finally got the game today in the mail, booted it up and decided to begin on Hard so I don't need to do it more than once...
And now I've realized that ending achievements don't stack, so I'll need to redo everything on Normal and Easy to get them as well, that's not cool =(

So I may want to wait until I'm playing on easy to 100% the game.

Zachack

For you Europeans just getting it, google for "deadly premonition key glitch" or something similar. I've been playing the game in tiny bits for months and now have to completely restart because I got hit by the glitch in chapter 9. The description of the glitch won't give away game spoilers.

So angry. I had just gone back for the radio and got the high score at darts, too. For those of you that have beaten it, how crucial are the sidequests in the long run? I'm going to re-get the radio, weapon bag, infinite SMG, and maybe car parts, but is there anything else I'm going to miss if I just completely ignore all the other side-quests at the beginning and play on easy?

Patryn

Zachack said:
For you Europeans just getting it, google for "deadly premonition key glitch" or something similar. I've been playing the game in tiny bits for months and now have to completely restart because I got hit by the glitch in chapter 9. The description of the glitch won't give away game spoilers.

So angry. I had just gone back for the radio and got the high score at darts, too. For those of you that have beaten it, how crucial are the sidequests in the long run? I'm going to re-get the radio, weapon bag, infinite SMG, and maybe car parts, but is there anything else I'm going to miss if I just completely ignore all the other side-quests at the beginning and play on easy?

Flamethrower, which can be useful on wall crawlers.

And infinite shotgun.

And infinite magnum (soon as you get a bone, watch out for Deputy Willy! Don't go near him until you have the full set!)

Zachack

Patryn said:
Flamethrower, which can be useful on wall crawlers.

And infinite shotgun.

And infinite magnum (soon as you get a bone, watch out for Deputy Willy! Don't go near him until you have the full set!)
Would I really need those on easy? I read up on the magnum quest when I was getting the radio and I really don't want to drive around town to get 7 bones.

Patryn

Zachack said:
Would I really need those on easy? I read up on the magnum quest when I was getting the radio and I really don't want to drive around town to get 7 bones.

Not really. The flamethrower might be handy, but that also involves the bones.

Stampy

Zachack said:

With having radio, finding all bones is a matter of 15 minutes or so.

Zachack

Stampy said:
With having radio, finding all bones is a matter of 15 minutes or so.
It's a bit more than that given my experience with the tedium of getting a couple bones (even with warping), and that doesn't count all the rest of the stuff needed to get the magnum.

Is there anything plot-relevant in the side-quests or is it more local townsfolk being crazy?

Almyn

Edit: I just took this whole post out to save myself from looking really stupid.

A little tip for anyone who might run into the same problem I did in chapter 22 though. I was so used to just holding X and Running through every door that when I got to a certain door that needed a different approach I thought I'd hit a disappearing key bug.

I feel silly now :(

dak1dsk1

Banned
Cute little PS2'ish game. So far more enjoyable than Alan Wake. A bit too inspired by Twin Peaks perhaps, but I don't really mind.

Zachack said:
Yes, absolutely. It's not down to difficulty, it's down to sheer tedium - the wallcrawlers are ridiculously dull and monotonous if you don't have the flamethrower. In the long run you'll probably spend more time fighting them than you would getting the bones and grabbing that flamethrower.

Yep, get the 7 bones, do the magnum quest and then the flamethrower one.

I'm almost at the end of the game myself
chapter 22
, been playing on Hard but I only died 1 time for now (and it was in a quick time event). Infinite wrench is sooo badass :lol
I'll finish the game, then do every quest I didn't do as well as collect everything, then I'll maybe do the story only in Easy and Normal to get the achievements. Hard is not hard at all for now so I think the other two difficulties will be a breeze.

Minamu

So I get to keep my bones after talking to Willie? Or are they not needed for Brian? Guides aren't super clear on it. On my way to find the 7th bone now I think. Replayed the hospital in hopes of getting a special weapon but only got a card >_<

Edit: Okay, so I just go back and steal the bones from him, alright.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Beat this for a 2nd time yesterday. The story really chokes me up towards the end. I really fell in love with these characters. Despite hating so much of the gameplay, I really love this game as a whole.

Also, on my first playthrough I don't remember getting the scene where York tries Harry's favorite sandwich at the A&G Diner. That scene was great :lol

Pydte

My PAL-version finally arrived yesterday, and been playing almost non-stop since then. I just completed the second part of Episode 2, and after a somewhat tedious opening, I'm really starting to dig this game.

I quickly gave up on doing side-quests and exploration, it's simply too much of a hassle. Besides, there's nothing to explore really, and the map sucks big time, so it would be a chore anyway.

But, man, does the story, dialogue and characters make up for the abysmal game design. It really is Twin Peaks The Video Game, complete with all of its otherworldly mumbo jumbo, but this can hardly be a bad thing. =)

Now for Episode 3...

Credits are rolling. What an amazing game. In a generation defined by streamlined blockbuster bullshit, gems like Deadly Premonition are scarce and I'm glad that this game made it to PAL territories after all.

I'm sad and happy at the same time
What an emotional rollercoster. York is one of the best characters in video game history.
GOTY contender for me.

krakov

Finally got my order shipped a few days ago, will jump in next week probably. Really looking forward to it even though I've already spoiled myself the entire game. Does anything carry over between playthroughs?

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Didn't know it's out in PAL-land! Anyhow, thinking of picking it up. I'm fairly sure the game's gonna annoy the shit outta me though. I love the basic idea -- Twin Peaks meets GTA and RE4 or whatever -- but I'm slightly worried that the gameplay is gonna make me turn the game off a few hours in. We'll see, I guess.

itsinmyveins said:
Didn't know it's out in PAL-land! Anyhow, thinking of picking it up. I'm fairly sure the game's gonna annoy the shit outta me though. I love the basic idea -- Twin Peaks meets GTA and RE4 or whatever -- but I'm slightly worried that the gameplay is gonna make me turn the game off a few hours in. We'll see, I guess.

I got 3 chapters in and just couldn't be bothered anymore, I had already experienced the story and characters from watching the Giantbomb ER though and that is the biggest draw of the game.

itsinmyveins

I Push Fat Kids said:
What country are you in? The game is $20 new circa February.

Me? Northern Europe. It was just released some 2-3 weeks ago here and yes, it is priced at less than half of what a normal game costs.

MikeDub said:
I got 3 chapters in and just couldn't be bothered anymore, I had already experienced the story and characters from watching the Giantbomb ER though and that is the biggest draw of the game.

I didn't watch more than a few minutes of the Giantbomb ER. Oh well, picking the game up during my lunch. I guess I'll find out how long I can stand subpar gameplay later today!

Pydte

krakov said:
Finally got my order shipped a few days ago, will jump in next week probably. Really looking forward to it even though I've already spoiled myself the entire game. Does anything carry over between playthroughs?
No, nothing. Once you start a new game, everything is overwritten. In addition, you can only keep one save file at a time, which is kinda annoying.

Also, if Achievements matter to you, remember that the difficulty achievements doesn't stack, meaning that you have to complete it a minimum of three times in order to reach 1000/1000. So awful.

Love the game, though. :lol

MikeDub said:

I think the game started dragging a bit somewhere in the middle (Drive to
Harry
again, again and again, on top of that some stupid easy puzzles) but got incredibly awesome towards the end again.

OMG Aero

itsinmyveins said:
Oh, and I don't know if I like that PAL-cover at all.
In my opinion, Japan cover > PAL cover > US cover.
The only thing I dislike about the PAL cover is the destructoid logo and score.

schennmu said:
I think the game started dragging a bit somewhere in the middle (Drive to
Harry
again, again and again, on top of that some stupid easy puzzles) but got incredibly awesome towards the end again.

I got as far as
fighting the 3 wall crawlers at the end of the art Gallery
and it really killed it for me.

itsinmyveins said:
I didn't watch more than a few minutes of the Giantbomb ER. Oh well, picking the game up during my lunch. I guess I'll find out how long I can stand subpar gameplay later today!

Oh right, you should be fine then, I think the story more than enough carrys the rest of the game. Only thing I would recommend is don't be afraid to run past enemies, the combat is such a drag.

MikeDub said:
I got as far as
fighting the 3 wall crawlers at the end of the art Gallery
and it really killed it for me.

Oh, you stopped really early then. Those enemies are easy but still annoying if you don't have the right weapons. My Xbox froze after killing all of them so I had to do it again (with the smg) XD

krakov

Pydte said:
No, nothing. Once you start a new game, everything is overwritten. In addition, you can only keep one save file at a time, which is kinda annoying.

Also, if Achievements matter to you, remember that the difficulty achievements doesn't stack, meaning that you have to complete it a minimum of three times in order to reach 1000/1000. So awful.

Love the game, though. :lol

Thanks, I guess that was kind of expected.

Also, just noticed that Deadly Premonition received an 8 and a 9 (out of 10) in LEVEL (Swedish gaming mag). Haters am cry.

schennmu said:
Oh, you stopped really early then. Those enemies are easy but still annoying if you don't have the right weapons. My Xbox froze after killing all of them so I had to do it again (with the smg) XD

All I had was the infinite SMG, I must have been 10 hours in at that point and from what I remembered the rest of the game starts to roll towards the end quite quickly. I do regret watching the ER for it though, whilst fun to watch I think I really would have enjoyed it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
OMG guys I can't believe we're finally able to play this game after months of waiting. So happy.

How do you trigger Emily's side quests, I managed to trigger the first one but can't do the second one even after sleeping for 24 hours plus

I think it has to be raining in the evening, at 6:30 or 6:45 or something. It has to say 'open' above her house to indicate that she's home and you're allowed to enter. It's best to do in certain chapters, but you don't need to. Check the faq I linked to earlier.

itsinmyveins

Any helpful tips that could make my playthrough of this game a bit less annoying? General tips and such? By now I know I should have opted for easy difficulty but I've already played for more than five hours on normal and I'm not playing through those first five hours again.

Pydte

itsinmyveins said:
Any helpful tips that could make my playthrough of this game a bit less annoying? General tips and such? By now I know I should have opted for easy difficulty but I've already played for more than five hours on normal and I'm not playing through those first five hours again.
First of all I would recommend skipping the side quests. They require a lot of tedious driving, and more often than not the reward is not worth the effort. So skip them... well maybe except for quest number four and five, both given by the sheriff.
Completing these quests, both doable during chapter two, will net you the radio, making it possible to warp between locations.

Second of all, save your money for weapons and ammunition. Get the magnum from the gun shop, this will help a lot during the otherworld sequences - especially against the harder enemies of later chapters. Don't be afraid to use melee weapons, either. They deal out a lot of damage, although they break easily.

Following the above principles should make your playthrough a lot more enjoyable. I know they did for me. =)

Top Bottom