• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool and Wolverine Reactions — If you weren’t hyped before!! — No spoilers

bitbydeath

I’ll be watching this Friday.

“Deadpool & Wolverine is an insane, bombastic Marvel wet dream. Plenty of surprises but with epic action, excessive violence, and relentless humor (most of which landed for me). Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds overdelivered. It’s a lot to process. I had a blast.” – Brandon Davis, Bloody Disgusting
“‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ smokes. So much fun. And a love letter (hate that term, but that’s what it is) to the Fox era of Marvel movies. I assumed it would be violent based on how much Marvel’s been selling that, but I’d say it’s the most gory of the three. #DeadpoolAndWolverine” – Mike Ryan, Uproxx
“Welp, ‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ got me excited about Marvel movies again. Hilarious, earnest, irreverent as hell, and a reminder of the kind of relentless fun that got us into this stuff in the first place.” – Matthew Jackson, Looper
“Vulgar, violent, scathing, and at times, even touching, this R-rated romp holds nothing back delivering on everything its fans want with maximum effort… Despite the literal and figurative messiness, I had such a gigantic smile on my face the entire time it didn’t matter. One door has closed and many more have now opened leaving me with a sense of excitement and anticipation I haven’t felt from the franchise in a very long time.” – Matt Neglia, Next Best Picture
“‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ is Marvel’s ‘Planes, Trains & Automobiles’. What does that mean? It means it’s both wildly hilarious and genuinely (and heartbreakingly) meaningful. Top 10 Marvel – not because of its cameos, because of its heart. This movie doesn’t just exist – it MATTERS.” – Jake Hamilton, ReelBlend
“LFG! Absolutely loved ‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ – yes the cameos and surprises are epic, and the humor, action, blood-soaked fights and needle drops are tremendous, too… but it’s the respect and love for the characters that win you over. This is the ultimate Deadpool movie. It is the ultimate Wolverine movie. It’s a damn good time and the best of the three Deadpool movies, for sure. Have fun!” – Erik Davis, Fandango
“‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ feels miraculous. A high energy ode to superhero cinema past that goes beyond nostalgia into kid in a candy store madness, the Ryan Reynolds/Hugh Jackman is everything you wanted and more, despite some grating toilet humor.” – James Preston Poole, Discussing Film
“It goes without saying that ‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ absolutely KILLS it! Ryan and Hugh brought their all into it, the R-rated action is still as gory as ever, and the cameos, when present, felt like they mostly fit well enough the story. Yep, BIGGER implications are coming!” – Chris Gallardo, Popternative
“THE superhero nostalgia fest you’ve been waiting for. If you’ve been suffering from ‘superhero fatigue’ this will be a f—– shock to your system that will have you laughing, screaming, and crying. 10/10 no notes.” – Maggie Lovitt, Collider
“Lived up WAY beyond the HYPE!! It seamless jumps from a nostalgia cameo fueld ride to a genuine sweet & emotional tribute to the Fox era Marvel movies. It’s insane how much was hidden. Funniest MCU movie to date. Shawn Levy’s action also kicks ass!” – Cris Parker, 3C Films

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
already got ticket for this. so looking forward to it. I had only watched a handful of MCU stuff since Endgame and disappointed would be an understatment on how I feel overall. but Deadpool is different and I have faith on Reynolds to deliver. LFG!

mitch1971

Gold Member
Cat Costume GIF

Can't wait for my 'copy' to arrive.

Valedix

After Doctor Strange 2 its hard to be hyped for multiverse movies anymore. But thats just me, DS2 was such a disappointment I will believe the reviews when I see them on RT.

Doom85

Can't be any worse than Deadpool 2
deadpool 2 was awful and shitty, hope they changed writers for this one

nzrn0t1.gif

Listen, Deadpool 1 was really enjoyable, but 2 was better. Far more threatening antagonists (granted, Cable does become good as expected, but holy shit, finally an actual accurate-looking Juggernaut. And he fights Colossus this time, seriously X3: The Last Stand dropped the ball in so many ways), the pacing was better (Deadpool 1 did a bit too much hoping between present and flashback for my liking), better action, and the X-Force joke is god tier.

Also, 2 has Peter and 1 doesn’t.

Deadpool 2 Lol GIF by Regal
Here I Come Dad GIF

Im Right Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
“Welp, ‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ got me excited about Marvel movies again."

But isn't it mostly a Ryan Reynolds led production? That's probably why disney wants the Russo brothers back.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I don't really go to the theater anymore. It's playing at the local drive in this weekend though. So I think I'm taking kids. They like the drive in and it's the only one around so I like to give them some of my money.

8bitpill

There are very few movies and films I cared to see in the theater and this has been going on for over a decade.

Deadpoll & Wolverine however was one I wanted to make sure I went and watched in the theater.
c5395a364c91c37accf3309471b6ada0.gif

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I don't really go to the theater anymore. It's playing at the local drive in this weekend though. So I think I'm taking kids. They like the drive in and it's the only one around so I like to give them some of my money.

It's rated R. You ok with them watching that?

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
I've just come from the theater.

Great film, lots of good gags and surprises. Unfortunately, I found the story quite weak, the third act much too chaotic and some cameos rather pointless. Overall satisfactory, but unfortunately my expectations were higher.

I would spontaneously give it a 7/10. After a little time to think about it, maybe even an 8/10.

clarky

Gold Member
I've just come from the theater.

Great film, lots of good gags and surprises. Unfortunately, I found the story quite weak, the third act much too chaotic and some cameos rather pointless. Overall satisfactory, but unfortunately my expectations were higher.

I would spontaneously give it a 7/10. After a little time to think about it, maybe even an 8/10.
Thanks for the impressions. Wait for streaming for me i think.

Edit:
Brutal review from the Telegraph 1/5 :

Not really spoilers but just incase, very light plot details:

The celebrated director Howard Hawks once said that all it took to make a movie worthwhile was three great scenes and no bad ones. Flip the digits and throw another 100 or so bad ones into the mix and you have Deadpool & Wolverine, which feels less like a reset for the once-mighty Marvel franchise than its spiritual dead end.

But what the pair’s quest actually amounts to – to a degree you suspect even a script this smugly self-aware may not fully appreciate – is a protracted trudge through the cultural wreckage left behind by 20 years of superhero movies, in which nothing of meaning or value can be found. Look! Here are some characters from Marvel films Fox made quite a while ago. See! Here is a scene from a Marvel film Disney made more recently, but with a jokey new detail digitally implanted.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah, the actual reviews for this are not painting the same picture. Quelle surpise.

Seems like a similar standard to the first two.

Toots

Gold Member
I think the secret to enjoying mcu is don't watch more than one marvel movie every 4 years at least. This way it doesn't look so stale.

That's what i do so i think i'll enjoy this one, even though for the same reason most of the references will fly above my head.

About the disney shills reviews what does "Top 10 Marvel" even means ?

You'd be so hard pressed to find ten good mcu movies, Im pretty sure that the lame spiderman with Gyllenhall as the vilain is in marvel top 10...

FireFly

I think the secret to enjoying mcu is don't watch more than one marvel movie every 4 years at least. This way it doesn't look so stale.

That's what i do so i think i'll enjoy this one, even though for the same reason most of the references will fly above my head.

About the disney shills reviews what does "Top 10 Marvel" even means ?

You'd be so hard pressed to find ten good mcu movies, Im pretty sure that the lame spiderman with Gyllenhall as the vilain is in marvel top 10...
I think you can just get to 10 fairly uncontroversially good/great movies: Iron Man, Captain America 2, GotG, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man NWH, Ant-Man, Shang Chi, Black Panther, Avengers 1&3/4

Personally I think "superhero fatigue" is really just about Marvel releasing a bunch of bad/mediocre movies. The Eternals, Quantumania and The Marvels are going to be a tough watch in any year. In general, Phase 4 and 5 movies are stuffed full of references to other Marvel franchises, without having any real compelling identity of their own.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
You'd be so hard pressed to find ten good mcu movies

Iron Man (original)
Captain America Trilogy
The Avengers (original)
Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers Infinity War & Endgame

All fun, well-made flicks that I have fond theatre memories of :) I doubt Deadpool 3 will crack in there. Just gonna do a matinee for this one.

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Like clockwork. As always… the impressions are “omg, this is awesome.”

Quit falling for it.
"Early impressions" aren't even the biggest problem.
The biggest problem are "early impressions from wannabe-super-influencers who were invited to the world premiere and tag the cast, crew and Disney in their posts in order to be seen and invited to the next event".

Trilobit

A good Marvel movie once again? I might even go see it at the theaters if the first impressions are accurate. I actually miss the pre-Endgame time when you looked forward to most Marvel flicks.

Toots

Gold Member
Iron Man (original)
Captain America Trilogy
The Avengers (original)
Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2
Thor: Ragnarok
Avengers Infinity War & Endgame

All fun, well-made flicks that I have fond theatre memories of :) I doubt Deadpool 3 will crack in there. Just gonna do a matinee for this one.
I've seen thor ragnarock and captain america winter soldier and i found both pretty bad for different reasons :messenger_grinning_sweat:
But i guess it's subjective and those movies have factual qualities in their presentation at leat (even though winter soldier looked and felt like a long episode of a netflix marvel series from what i remember).
And since i don't watch a lot of those and really space my viewings, sometimes watching a movie years after it went out (like i did for winter soldier), i cannot really attest to the impact they had when they released...

think you can just get to 10 fairly uncontroversially good/great movies: Iron Man, Captain America 2, GotG, Dr. Strange, Spider-Man NWH, Ant-Man, Shang Chi, Black Panther, Avengers 1&3/4

Personally I think "superhero fatigue" is really just about Marvel releasing a bunch of bad/mediocre movies. The Eternals, Quantumania and The Marvels are going to be a tough watch in any year. In general, Phase 4 and 5 movies are stuffed full of references to other Marvel franchises, without having any real compelling identity of their own.
You're analysis of sueprhero fatigue is on point, they seem to really have lost their way after endgame, and one can only eat a loosy dish so many times... I think it's telling that Sublevel list, which still is totally valid as a response to my affirmation, is mostly comprised of pre endgame movies.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
My kid started rewatching the MCU (for like the 4th time) and those first 2 Iron-man movies and Capt American 1 really hold up. Great characterizations, Evans NAILS his role, and Ironman films have such a sleezy sense of humor back when Faverau was allowed to be a little naughty. And the effects look better than what we get today! None of the Thor films is as good as they should be but those first few heading into Avengers 1 is legit a GOOD TIME as the films are real films, not just placeholders for video game action scenes and lead ins to 4 more projects.

Doom85

None of the Thor films is as good as they should be

I still enjoy all of them though Dark World is just okay (Thor and Loki carry it, the villain is awful and I’ve only read a small handful of comics with Malketh in them, but he seemed to have a dark sense of humor, like Christopher Eccleston could have nailed that angle, but instead it was all, “I will spread darkness, ooooo!”

Some people don’t like the fist film, but I think Hemsworth was a very likable lead, Loki was a great character from the beginning, some found it lame but I dug the fish out of water angle, etc.

Top Bottom