• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool & Wolverine Open Spoilers Thread

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I thought it was just OK. None of the cameos did anything for me, it wasn't laugh out loud funny, and I didn't think the chemistry between Deadpool and Wolverine was that great. It all felt kind of forced. Plot was completely forgettable, but that's to be expected at this point from the MCU.

Little Mac

Gold Member
It was alright. Maybe a 7/10. I think I liked the other Deadpool movies more tbh. I hate the multiverse shit but seeing some of the cameos was fun. Some of the cgi was fucking terrible though. Regardless, glad some R-rated Disney shit was successful and I hope it hopes the door for cool shit down the road.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
It was alright. Maybe a 7/10. I think I liked the other Deadpool movies more tbh. I hate the multiverse shit but seeing some of the cameos was fun. Some of the cgi was fucking terrible though. Regardless, glad some R-rated Disney shit was successful and I hope it hopes the door for cool shit down the road.
Blade will be R also.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Blade will be R also.

Blade was OG though. Existed before anyone knew comic book movies were a goldmine. Came out in 1998. 4 years before Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man. I’m not gonna mention Batman because I still don’t forgive you for what you said a few years back.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Blade was OG though. Existed before anyone knew comic book movies were a goldmine. Came out in 1998. 4 years before Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man. I’m not gonna mention Batman because I still don’t forgive you for what you said a few years back.
I’m talking about the MCU Blade. Feige confirmed it’s rated R.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I’m talking about the MCU Blade. Feige confirmed it’s rated R.
Ah my bad. Old Blade was in the DP movie so my brain went straight to him. I heard the new Blade movie was in development hell and the lead wanted out of it. Not sure if just rumors.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I had a fun time. But man its too much. Ryan Reynolds needs to tone down the quips next time. its too much. the best scene was when wolverine tells him off for being a joke.

i loved the chris evans cameo. especially the post credit scene. absolutely hilarious.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Pretty funny, plot was complete shite but the leads carried the whole thing really well. I'd give it 7/10. Enjoyable.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It's interesting how when DP and Wolverine are talking in the diner and DP says "I wanted to be an Avenger" and Wolverine replies, "Fuck the Avengers", does that imply that in this Wolverine's universe the Avengers exist? Or did he find out about them some other way?

I finally saw the movie, and I think I’ll need to see it again sometime in the future before I actually give it a rating. My first viewing fan brain wants to give this a B+ at best, but thinking about it I’m a little torn, because I have a feeling this movie won’t have the same impact on a second viewing as cameo-based movies usually don’t.

Hugh’s performance arguably carried the movie for me and the rest was a fun Fox-filled cameo callback experience, but most of the movie makes me want to simply go and view a youtube easter egg breakdown of it rather than view it a second time.

Right now my rating of Deadpool movies remains the same, with this new one being at the bottom:

1. Deadpool 2
  2. Deadpool 1
  3. Deadpool & Wolverine
Edit: Probably top 3 favorite scene:

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
It's interesting how when DP and Wolverine are talking in the diner and DP says "I wanted to be an Avenger" and Wolverine replies, "Fuck the Avengers", does that imply that in this Wolverine's universe the Avengers exist? Or did he find out about them some other way?

Obviously they existed in his universe because he's wearing a comic accurate costume.

Had Fox tried to do Thanos it'd be some guy in a gold bomber jacket with a beard dyed purple.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Obviously they existed in his universe because he's wearing a comic accurate costume.

Had Fox tried to do Thanos it'd be some guy in a gold bomber jacket with a beard dyed purple.

That would have some heavy implications because if Wolverine did go nuts in his own timeline and kill "not just the bad humans" that probably means The Avengers were tasked to stop him at some point. If the MCU is leading up to a Avengers vs X-Men scenario in the main timeline, this Wolverine would already have some experience with that.

kondorBonk

Fun time.

I'm a sucker for the 90's X-men look so Wolverine's costume was a big highlight.

I always liked Deadpool's solution to the white costume eyes we see in cartoons/comics. Probably a mix of easier to draw/animate or it simply looks aesthetically cool at the time. I've seen more modern "explanations" like they are len's but I think that's just retroactively trying to come up with an answer. It just stuck and it looks cool.

Deadpool pulls it off well with the CG but I'm wondering if a lot of that came down to luck with the roundness of his mask and Ryan Reynolds over expressions. As much as I loved Wolverines mask, he always seemed blind.

I wonder if its a mix of the sharp points on the mask making it a lot more obvious where he's always facing or maybe Hugh Jackman has a natural "tilt" and gives a side-eye more when acting?

Essentially I was a firm believer of the white eye'd look but it doesn't seem like its going to translate to every actor/mask as well as I'd hoped.

SlimySnake

A 6/10 gimmickfest elevated to a very solid 8/10 purely by Hugh Jackman.

They're never going to be able to recast that fucking character.

..until you're ninety...
yep. im so done with this retiring of these iconic characters. they got lucky with jackman. its lightning in a bottle. why waste it? let him play this fucking role until he cant physically do it.

I think Deadpool with Thor, RDJ with Jackman will be enough to carry the next Avengers movie. Keep Spiderman as the lead and you have 5 great characters to build a movie around. Fuck Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Hulk, Falcon and Ant Man. Use them for cameos only.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I think Deadpool with Thor, RDJ with Jackman will be enough to carry the next Avengers movie. Keep Spiderman as the lead and you have 5 great characters to build a movie around. Fuck Doctor Strange, Captain Marvel, Hulk, Falcon and Ant Man. Use them for cameos only.

I don't know. There's a lot more about this movie that feels like an ending rather than a beginning to me. Honestly can't see Deadpool in any crossover movies with the 'actual' MCU films. And while Jackman IS Wolverine... not sure he'll want to do more, given everything he's said about how hard it is for him to get up there at his age.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Cavil-verine please!

The fact he did the fist reload thing was just

Seth Meyers Yes GIF by PeacockTV

SlimySnake

I don't know. There's a lot more about this movie that feels like an ending rather than a beginning to me. Honestly can't see Deadpool in any crossover movies with the 'actual' MCU films. And while Jackman IS Wolverine... not sure he'll want to do more, given everything he's said about how hard it is for him to get up there at his age.
The scene with Deadpool 'dying' in thor's arms is definitely confirming Deadpool's involvement in the Avengers movie.

Jackman is a wild card but they couldve easily killed him at the end of the movie, but they brought him back and didnt exactly rule out an appearance.

I dont think he needs to bulk up again. Just use CG ffs.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Edit: Probably top 3 favorite scene:

Nobody in their right mind thinks this movie has any depth or meaning to it...

...except the fact that Hugh Jackman absolutely 100% sells the guilt, anger and remorse of his Wolverine in a way that utterly pisses over every other performance in this film... and every other recent comic book movie, for that matter.

I genuinely felt emotional at the end when he goes off to die instead of Wade, and Wade tells him he's the best Wolverine. None of that was because of the lines, the plot or the story. It was all from Hugh's performance.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

This very much felt like a parody of Spider-man dying in the snap, being held by Stark. Shot in exactly the same way. They’re not putting fourth wall breaking, swearing, pegging expert Deadpool in their kid friendly Avengers movies.

Last edited:

Tams

Just came back from it.

Absolutely fantastic; just what I wanted and expected. Complete irreverent, while being really quite true to the comics. Lots of great jokes and easter eggs.

Marvel is saved... for now.

Last edited:

Tams

I thought I would hate this movie (Free Guy was unwatchable IMO), but I admit I enjoyed the cameos and jokes about the MCU. The rest of the movie was mediocre at best.

5/10

Had to dock a point because they somehow didn't have Nolan North Deadpool cameo in the Deadpool Corps. Ryan's ego can't allow the actual best Deadpool to show up... instead it's gotta be himself in another role. Shocker.

Tough crowd.

Tams

I thought the movie was forgettable and something that would have worked better as a Disney+ series.

There was too much humor, too much breaking the 4th wall, too many references, and not enough focus on the plot and characters. The plot was perhaps the worst in the MCU history. Look I know it's marvel so turning off your brain to some extent is expected, but at some point during the movie I was just like "when will this be over".

I did have a few good laughs and I liked the Gambit bits, but everything else was just hot trash.

So you went into a Deadpool film, nay the Deadpool film fuelled by a real life bromance, expecting not a Deadpool film.

That's entirely on you.

YCoCg

I enjoyed it, it's dumb, but it's a Deadpool movie, sorta the point. Nice to see them take a lot of digs at both Fox and MCU with lines like "Welcome to the MCU, ...it's a bit of a low point right now" and the constant questioning of Gambit since that movie never got made.

Most geek out part for me however was Deadpool searching for a Wolverine and him meeting all the different comic book versions.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Very surprised by blade in it and Hugh jackman wolverine is one of my favorite movie characters I’ll watch any marvel movie with him in it cool seeing Channing Tatum as gambit I wanna rewatch it again loved the dead pool/wolverine team work I’d def watch another one with them it

SJRB

Gold Member
Hugh Jackman carried this movie, holy shit. Amazing actor and leagues better than anyone else on screen.

The guy is intense, just look at this:

What a shitshow of a movie. The story is a joke, it's literally a bunch of random nonsense stitched together by screen transitions. None of it makes any sense. The amount of coincidental run-ins is ridiculous. We're in this bizarre purgatory where people just casually live their whole lives but it's also a barren wasteland where people can die at any moment but it's also basically just Earth? A place where discarded stuff gets sent to die, o look it's Johnny Storm. O look a diner in the middle of fucking nowhere. We walk in a field and o look another Deadpool. We stop in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere but o look Elektra found us.

And that multiverse police? I had no idea what that was all about and fuck you for assuming I watched Loki or whatever. I'm 50/50 on them saying "fuck it, as long as Deadpool and Wolverine are dicking around none of it matters and nobody cares". Multiverse stuff sucks ass. But I did enjoy seeing all the different Wolverine variants, that was cool.

The jokes were mid and Ryan Reynolds breaking the fourth wall is just so tiresome after a point. The stuff with the dog and the other Deadpools just did nothing for me. The Wolverine redemption arc was the most cliché shit imaginable. A six year old could come up with a better arc for him than this.

Overall a 5/10 movie, but Wolverine saves it and brings it to a 7/10. I can watch Hugh Jackman rage all day.

The mid-credit montage was really good, one of the few moments I actually felt something. Hugh Jackman and the X-men movies have been a part of my life for a ridiculous length of time.

YCoCg

The story is a joke
That's kinda the entire point, Deadpool even says as much towards the end "this Multiverse stuff isn't working, we should take the L on that and move on".

I'm 50/50 on them saying "fuck it, as long as Deadpool and Wolverine are dicking around none of it matters and nobody cares"
Again, that's the point.

breaking the fourth wall is just so tiresome after a point.
That's literally Deadpools entire thing.

Reading this thread it feels like some people went into this not expecting a Deadpool movie.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The story is a joke, it's literally a bunch of random nonsense stitched together by screen transitions. None of it makes any sense. The amount of coincidental run-ins is ridiculous. We're in this bizarre purgatory where people just casually live their whole lives but it's also a barren wasteland where people can die at any moment but it's also basically just Earth? A place where discarded stuff gets sent to die, o look it's Johnny Storm. O look a diner in the middle of fucking nowhere. We walk in a field and o look another Deadpool. We stop in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere but o look Elektra found us.

It's a meta-commentary about the different movie franchises and how some of them became irrelevant, which leads to none being renewed i.e. being sent to the Void. Channing Tatum's Gambit movie didn't even get past the conceptual stage which is why he says something like "maybe I was born here? I don't know". The entire FOX franchise died after Logan because Hugh Jackman was carrying the entire series on his back, which is why he is the "anchor being" and why his timeline (FOX franchise) dies with him.

At the end of the movie, his timeline comes back to life because of the events of Deadpool 3, which makes the FOX universe relevant again.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
What a shitshow of a movie. The story is a joke, it's literally a bunch of random nonsense stitched together by screen transitions. None of it makes any sense. The amount of coincidental run-ins is ridiculous. We're in this bizarre purgatory where people just casually live their whole lives but it's also a barren wasteland where people can die at any moment but it's also basically just Earth? A place where discarded stuff gets sent to die, o look it's Johnny Storm. O look a diner in the middle of fucking nowhere. We walk in a field and o look another Deadpool. We stop in the middle of a forest in the middle of nowhere but o look Elektra found us.

And that multiverse police? I had no idea what that was all about and fuck you for assuming I watched Loki or whatever. I'm 50/50 on them saying "fuck it, as long as Deadpool and Wolverine are dicking around none of it matters and nobody cares". Multiverse stuff sucks ass. But I did enjoy seeing all the different Wolverine variants, that was cool.

The jokes were mid and Ryan Reynolds breaking the fourth wall is just so tiresome after a point. The stuff with the dog and the other Deadpools just did nothing for me. The Wolverine redemption arc was the most cliché shit imaginable. A six year old could come up with a better arc for him than this.

Wow sounds like you hated it.............
Overall a 5/10 movie, but Wolverine saves it and brings it to a 7/10. I can watch Hugh Jackman rage all day.

7/10?

I'd love to read your review for a film you think is a 1/10.

YCoCg

I hate how this went over my head when watching it but it was right in our face from the start why Nicepool couldn't regenerate, he had a pretty face and didn't need a mask, ...he never underwent the weapons X mutation.

Trilobit

Man, why does no one spoilerformat their spoilers?! I was going to see the movie in one hour and I've read spoiler after spoiler for 4 pages now. Incredible. I'm going to give my ticket to the homeless guy outside the cinema.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Man, why does no one spoilerformat their spoilers?! I was going to see the movie in one hour and I've read spoiler after spoiler for 4 pages now. Incredible. I'm going to give my ticket to the homeless guy outside the cinema.
It won't matter, if you are in a packed theater the joy and excitement is infectious. This film is 1000% meant for group viewing.

YCoCg

I know you're joking right :lollipop_squinting: it says Open Spoilers in the title.

Top Bottom