• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool and Wolverine Reactions — If you weren’t hyped before!! — No spoilers

bitbydeath

Just got back from it. Story isn't great itself but I really enjoyed most everything about it otherwise. Lot of fun and doesn't take itself too seriously. Character arcs for Wolverine and Deadpool aren't heavy but get the right amount of heart to them so it doesn't feel like just a cameo-fest.
Yeah, it’s essentially a buddy/cop movie with fitting tributes to the Marvel Fox era.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Justin Timberlake Jt GIF by *NSYNC

bitbydeath

I see it more as a tribute and send off for that era before Marvel introduces their own versions of those characters. F4 starts filming on Monday and the cast may be at SDCC on Saturday.
Going to put this in spoilers, warning for those who haven’t seen it.

You were warned.
I’m not sure how much of a complete send off it was, at least for Deadpool and Wolverine, as the TVA lady (forgot her name) said they might be asked to help out again in future.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Going to put this in spoilers, warning for those who haven’t seen it.

You were warned.
I’m not sure how much of a complete send off it was, at least for Deadpool and Wolverine, as the TVA lady (forgot her name) said they might be asked to help out again in future.

Well this isn‘t a spoiler because it’s not longer in the movie so

The original story was the two of them putting together an army of heroes from the Void to help fight the Kangs. When Jonathan Majors got convicted they did reshoots (which used the strikes as an excuse) to change it to the smaller scale it is now.

That line you refer to obviously means

we‘ll see them in Secret Wars.

Last edited:

M.W.

6/10

Terrible music choices lol - somewhat terrible cg during certain scenes, and mid tier action. I did laugh here and there so there's that. Overall, wait for streaming.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Something I didn’t understand at the beginning of the movie and I can’t see anyone talking about it:

The scene with Deadpool and Happy where Deadpool is trying to join the avengers. Why was this set in 616, the sacred timeline? It later joins to the timeline we know Deadpool from and he later mentions wanting to be an avenger, but we never see the other Deadpool again, my question is why show events from that timeline?

Did anyone understand the scene?

Shouta

Something I didn’t understand at the beginning of the movie and I can’t see anyone talking about it:

The scene with Deadpool and Happy where Deadpool is trying to join the avengers. Why was this set in 616, the sacred timeline? It later joins to the timeline we know Deadpool from and he later mentions wanting to be an avenger, but we never see the other Deadpool again, my question is why show events from that timeline?

Did anyone understand the scene?

They're the same Deadpool. He jumps over to the 616 Universe to try and join the Avengers using Cable's machine and when that doesn't go well, he comes back to his home dimension and works as a car salesmen

Mephisto40

Watched it last night

Story is completely non-existent, the ending is one of the worst I've seen in a marvel film

The cameos are nice, but I came out of the cinema not exactly feeling satisfied with what I watched

StueyDuck

I'm sure the movie is entertaining and I'll watch it when it comes to streaming services.

but does it "Change Marvel forever" and "reignite the superhero franchise" and all those insane hyperbolic things being said leading up to release?

Ulysses 31

This argument has never made sense to me. The comics, both Marvel and DC, have had the multiverse be a thing since like the 70’s, possibly earlier, and you rarely heard any readers complain about it. The Spider-verse films and something like Everything, Everywhere all at Once use the multiverse and nobody brings up this argument. It just smells of the latest trendy basic complaint for online personalities to latch onto to grab that good old clickbait.
I'm not familiar with the comics but if characters could be replaced with multiverse versions that are 99.9% the same I can see it lowering my enjoyment of those stories too. IIRC In EEAAO characters don't physically meet each other and never undo anything in other universes.

And comics can have bad writing too btw. :messenger_winking_tongue:
Because why does a multiverse existing affect the fact you were primarily following ONE version? You grow an attachment to THAT version of a character, and even if another version(s) appears in some capacity, it doesn’t take away from what happened to the version you were primarily following. Hell, we’ve already seen they will ultimately never be used as a cheap replacement for a deceased character, at least by good writers. In Endgame, it’s discussed by the heroes to try to get the Natasha from the other timeline but they ultimately refuse to as that would be cruel to do to Natasha’s loved ones in that timeline (and she most likely wouldn’t appreciate being kidnapped). When the 2014 Gamora is stuck in the main timeline, she does not end up with Peter in any way or even really become a Guardian. The original Gamora’s story did end, and the alternate version existing was not used to cheaply replace her in terms of what her role was.
The YT is mainly talking about characters being replaced or catastrophic events being undone with the multiverse wand, i.e. in a lazy/cheap way. It may not have happened in the MCU yet but with the current stock of MCU writers I'm very skeptical it never will.

Multiverse of Madness is such a mess story telling wise it raises concerns of future multiverse MCU movies IMO.
Honestly, it’s refreshing. I’ve started as the years go on to become a little less interested in writers who seem to thrive on killing off characters to “build suspense”, but I’ve started to realize only a few writers do this well but for most it just seems wasteful as all it does is rob that character of any further developments. Some of the best Marvel and DC comic runs for some characters have been after they were resurrected from death at least once, but we would never have gotten those runs if we were bound to some permanent death rule (funny enough, the Ultimate Marvel comics universe had a death is permanent rule mostly, and thus when a bunch of characters were rapidly killed off unceremoniously, a lot of readers dropped the titles and sales sank).

It’s 2024, I’m no longer impressed by “Anyone Can Die” style of storytelling for the style alone. I’m not saying it still can’t be done well, but likewise keeping characters around in any capacity even after death can be done well if it allows for even more stories. The comics have figured this out mostly for a long time now, and the movies seem to generally get this too.
Resurrection and multiverse replacement are not the same thing. The multiverse opens new story possibilities for sure but in the hands of bad writers it can easily cheapen death and lower the stakes. If they pull the same trick too much, I can see it becoming harder to invest in characters if the multiverse wand can undo problems.

wondermega

Got home from the theater a bit ago, this is basically the only movie I'd been wanting to see for the past couple years I guess. I'm not really a big Deadpool guy (the two other films were fun to watch) and I could easily have passed on this, but seeing Hugh get Wolvie'd up for one more time - esp. in a very different type of film - I knew it would be a good time.

And it was! Movie was not without it's problems, and in general as I take some time to marinate on these things, the magic kind of fades away, this is no different. Anyway it was a blast watching this Wolverine one more time (???) and the writing was good (pacing, dialogue, banter etc) for what it was. The actual storyline was really, REALLY thin, you could tell they really didn't sweat it too much but it was a fine enough scenario for what it was. I could get into my issues with all of that in a more spoiler-friendly thread I guess, so I will leave it at that. Jokes were pretty much as expected, but I was satisfied with them and they got a few laughs out of me (not too easy to do). Overall I am PLEASED I saw this right out of the gate because the spoilers are gonna be coming quick and furiously in the next week I am sure, and I would have enjoyed this movie significantly less if I knew what it was actually going to be. A pretty good film for nerds, maybe 6.5/10, 7 if I am being generous.

Ovek

7Member7
Watched this last night, would give it 5 out of 10. The chemistry between Deadpool and Wolverine was good, the rest of the movie though is tissue paper thin and Emma Corrin was wasted just like every other Marvel bad guy except Loki.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I had a friend who watched it and told me that the plot is pretty much zero, so I went in expecting that. tbh I don't really care about it anyway since that's not my reason for watching Deadpool. I thoroughly enjoyed all the bantering and the comedy. and even thou I knew a few of the cameos, some still surprised me. hell, even the ones I did know surprised me a little when some of them pop up. as long as you're not there expecting some great story and just there to enjoy a love letter to all the older FOX Marvel stuff, I'd say you'll have a GREAT time.

Billbofet

So, I went to see this since I have a slow day today. I got about an hour or so in to the point that Deadpool and Wolverine are having their initial introduction/disagreement fight (not a spoiler, I think, as it's in the trailer).
Then the power went out. Not just the theater, but the entire grid in that area. I waited around about ten minutes, then just got a voucher and I'll go finish it up later this week.

What I have seen so far, I have enjoyed quite a bit. The humor may run out for me in the last 60% of the movie, but so far, it's pretty fun. Yeah, the main plot is an excuse, but it's kind of acknowledged how weak it is and they lean into it.

Funny enough, this exact same thing happened to me in Thor: Love and Thunder. Right at the scene where Jane shows up for her first fight as female Thor. I had no desire at all to go back to the theater to finish it up. Glad I didn't on that one.

Alebrije

Nice movie, far better than DP2. The only letdown is the ending. The Best scene is when they jump from the back of the bus window...it captures the feel of the Old comics.

There is no plot it's basically two guys doing random stuff but also this helps te movie to be fun. The Journey is more important than the end and that saves the movie.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well this isn‘t a spoiler because it’s not longer in the movie so

The original story was the two of them putting together an army of heroes from the Void to help fight the Kangs. When Jonathan Majors got convicted they did reshoots (which used the strikes as an excuse) to change it to the smaller scale it is now.
So the whole tva dimension bomb thing was added in later. There never a mass Deadpool battle?

It seems ludicrous to rejigger your entire film just over 1 actor who could be recast in an instant.

And the concept of an "educated wish" is a great one.

ManaByte

Gold Member
So the whole tva dimension bomb thing was added in later. There never a mass Deadpool battle?

It seems ludicrous to rejigger your entire film just over 1 actor who could be recast in an instant.

And the concept of an "educated wish" is a great one.

Apparently what was changed was that instead of going their separate ways at the end DP/Wolverine were asked by the TVA to recruit more heroes from dying universes to fight the Kangs.

Rat Rage

6/10 movie at best. No story, 2/3 of the movie is not taking itself seriously. I mean, not taking itself too serious can be fun sometimes, but this movie takes it to the extreme. The neverending breaking the 4th wall talk makes you not care about anything that happens in the first 65 percent of the movie AT ALL. There is no story. The last 35 percent of the the movie are better, but not great.

Dai Kaiju

So, my 13 year old is asking me to take him to see this. R rated films are kind of a broad spectrum so I was wondering if any parents felt it would be too much for a young teen. I haven’t seen the first 2 movies but I know what Deadpool is all about from reading the comics as a kid.

ManaByte

Gold Member
So, my 13 year old is asking me to take him to see this. R rated films are kind of a broad spectrum so I was wondering if any parents felt it would be too much for a young teen. I haven’t seen the first 2 movies but I know what Deadpool is all about from reading the comics as a kid.

Just be prepared to explain what pegging is.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Nothing in it should surprise a 13yo with access to the internet. If anything, you will have to explain who all the old ass characters are. Disney knows this is gonna be shown to kids so they kept all the tits and dicks away from puritan american parents. So it's 'just' language and violence, with a bit of suggestive sex jokes. Lots of 'motherfucker' but no mother fucking, if you catch my drift.

Dai Kaiju

Just be prepared to explain what pegging is.
Lmao does someone actually get pegged in the movie? Or they just talk about it?

Nothing in it should surprise a 13yo with access to the internet. If anything, you will have to explain who all the old ass characters are. Disney knows this is gonna be shown to kids so they kept all the tits and dicks away from puritan american parents. So it's 'just' language and violence, with a bit of suggestive sex jokes. Lots of 'motherfucker' but no mother fucking, if you catch my drift.

Ah, ok. That sounds fine.

Jenov

Lmao does someone actually get pegged in the movie? Or they just talk about it?

Ah, ok. That sounds fine.
It’s actually the most tame Deadpool movie imo. Wolverine is awesome and your kid will love it.

Edit: and no, no one actually gets pegged in movie. It’s just a verbal joke. Well, I think DP stabs a guy in the ass one time, if that counts.

Last edited:

Billbofet

6/10 movie at best. No story, 2/3 of the movie is not taking itself seriously. I mean, not taking itself too serious can be fun sometimes, but this movie takes it to the extreme. The neverending breaking the 4th wall talk makes you not care about anything that happens in the first 65 percent of the movie AT ALL. There is no story. The last 35 percent of the the movie are better, but not great.
These are my thoughts on the movie as well. The only difference for me is that by the last 35% of the movie, I just didn't care anymore.
Still fun. 6/10

The Stig

Saw it yesterday. Had a great time.

Yes it was silly, but it was great fun.

Also I legit popped when I saw
MOTHER FUCKING BLADE!

Last edited:
Top Bottom