• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool & Wolverine Open Spoilers Thread

jason10mm

Gold Member
It was an AMAZING experice, though it was just a medicre film. It relies on decades worth of material so as a capstone event it works wonderfully, but you can't just be silly and gory and make gay jokes and recapture that long frustration with abandoned characters, never-beens, may haves, seeing clean characters be filthy, and all that. This film can only really come every few decades because it NEEDS all those "played straight" stories first in order to lampoon them.

I would LOVE to know who they asked but couldn't get. I can think of a dozen or more cameos that would have fit right in had they been able to get the actors.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I would LOVE to know who they asked but couldn't get. I can think of a dozen or more cameos that would have fit right in had they been able to get the actors.
I think Affleck was the only one. They tried to get him for Doctor Strange also.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think Affleck was the only one. They tried to get him for Doctor Strange also.
Too bad. I would have liked a Baymax cameo as well, if we are talking disneyfied marvel properties. A bit of the Rocketeer would have been funny as well.

Or a joke about all the actors that have crossed over between DC and marvel. Guess there is fodder for Deadpool 4.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
kekw

GTlsqIwXYAABmnd

natjjohn

Laughing at the people who thought this was going to flop. I think this being the only marvel coming out this year did them a favor. Think genuine marvel fans are hungry for and looking for this to be a good movie.

i Don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody speculate this movie was going to flop, much less a substantive number of people

jason10mm

Gold Member
i Don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody speculate this movie was going to flop, much less a substantive number of people
Yeah, I feel like this was as sure fire a hit as it can be, the question is whether or not this signals an enduring audience for capeshit or just a last gasp salute to the films that have come before. The ENTIRE fox/new line film legacy was capstoned here (and FUCK ME I never remembered that Faverau was in Daredevil!) and that's a trick you can only pull out every now and then.

But this was a wonderful film, kudos all around, and I hope Disney is paying attention to why it was successful.

HoodWinked

I really enjoyed the film, it's not high art or anything but it gave you everything you wanted, they really called in all the favors.

Hugh Jackman finally putting on the mask, it looked so damn good and the justification of why he wears the suit was perfection.

All the cameos were excellent, Chris Evans fake out as Johnny Storm, Wesley Snipes, Henry Cavill and Elektra (Jennifer Garner still looking fine and getting a nice shot on Affleck).

Then you have Channing Tatum Gambit which died with the Fox merger but then the way they integrate that into his dialog was done so well.

Jenov

Also, for those who know the comics even more than me, was the Logan who was crucified on a giant X surrounded by a sea of skulls from a specific comic? That was some striking imagery.

It's a homage to a famous cover of Uncanny X-men 251.
If I remember right, the comic was about Wolverine being tortured endlessly or something...I can't remember the details. Really, it was just a kick-ass cover.

eM2boiojtupIy-0uLoO_BHJzVVHhSG_mnmUl3NfYyZU.jpg

Last edited:

Hot5pur

I thought the movie was forgettable and something that would have worked better as a Disney+ series.

There was too much humor, too much breaking the 4th wall, too many references, and not enough focus on the plot and characters. The plot was perhaps the worst in the MCU history. Look I know it's marvel so turning off your brain to some extent is expected, but at some point during the movie I was just like "when will this be over".

I did have a few good laughs and I liked the Gambit bits, but everything else was just hot trash.

Mr Blobby

The cameos are half the fun. Goddam Cavil and Snipes got me by surprise. Didn't realise Tatum wanted to be Gambit, I thought it was just a totally random thing, which probably made it funnier.

K' Dash

The movie is going to easily pass $1B. Grifters gotta grift.

does-he-not-realise-how-big-of-an-event-this-movie-is-going-v0-ppauppm80ped1.png

Sadly that doesn’t mean the movie is good (it’s amazing), a shit stain like Captain Marvel easily did 1B, while being one of the worst infinity saga movies, but I get your point.

Trunx81

It was funny and Hugh was great as always. The story though .. Typical marvel. Faceless army in the third act (although with a twist) and some kind of “Sky beam machine” at the end. Something even nostalgia can’t cover. I’ll be very happy when the multiverse saga comes to an end ..

Doom85

Between the Ancient One and Cassandra Nova I think Marvel has given me a fetish for bald girls.

I wasn’t into the Ancient One, and I wasn’t feeling Cassandra at first, but then when she arrived in Wade’s universe and she took off her jacket and I was like, “hmm…..”

kJEMdZx.jpeg

But due to how she uses her powers, we would definitely need to establish a safety word in case she starts to take “fingering” in a horrifying direction.

Man I hope this is the end of multiverse stuff. Movie was ok. Thankfully an ok Deadpool movie is still miles better than the trash Marvel has been putting out lately.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Man I hope this is the end of multiverse stuff.

No. Not even close.

Secret Wars in 2027 will be the multiverse on steroids.

Check out Jonathan Hickman's Secret Wars (and his Avengers run that builds up to that) for a taste of what's probably coming in 2027. It'll either be amazing or a convoluted mess. Hickman nailed it, but I'm not sure how well it'll translate to film.

I just want to see a live action version of this scene.

GMXrRGn.jpeg

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Paper thin plot, Emma Corrin was underutilized, but the joke reels are really on point.

And it works because its Deadpool. People needed a lighthearted break from all the serious shit going on in either the MCU or reality. Deadpool + Friend does just that, sparing no-one, not even itself.

Sony

Nintendo
Wait, I just realized, Ryan Reynolds was in Blade Trinity. Did they collectively forget or did they delibarately not make a joke about that in the movie, cause it completely fits the continuity / fourth wall breaking stuff.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Check out Jonathan Hickman's Secret Wars (and his Avengers run that builds up to that) for a taste of what's probably coming in 2027. It'll either be amazing or a convoluted mess. Hickman nailed it, but I'm not sure how well it'll translate to film.

The MCU's success is due to the fact that Feige has been building it based on Hickman from the start.

SHIELD being Hydra in Winter Soldier is from his SHIELD series. Then the Thanos storyline melds the 1991 Infinity Gauntlet with Hickman's more recent Infinity (he created the Black Order). Now they're doing Time Runs out with the Incursions. They just introduced the Anchor concept that Hickman came up with (in the comics it's a piece of Molecule Man in each universe, in the MCU it's a specific character in each universe) to build to his Secret Wars. It's not going to be the 80s Beyonder that was made to sell toys, it's the Hickman GOD EMPEROR DOOM as the villain in Secret Wars.

Far too many people didn't read comics. Those who did knew EXACTLY what the Multiverse Saga was building to and it's amazing.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wait, I just realized, Ryan Reynolds was in Blade Trinity. Did they collectively forget or did they delibarately not make a joke about that in the movie, cause it completely fits the continuity / fourth wall breaking stuff.

They made a joke about it. Blade says to Deadpool "I don't like you" and he replies "You never did" referencing the animosity between them on the set of Blade Trinity.

NahaNago

It was the worst and probably the tamest Deadpool movie but still very enjoyable and one of the best marvel movie we've had since Endgame (guardians3 and shang chi were good). The action just didn't seem that good in the movie and needed bit more awesome atttacks/fights. The idea/opponents were great just not the actual fights. The best part was the banter between Deadpool and Logan and seeing all the cameos.

I think it needed to be split into 2 movies.

IDKFA

The MCU's success is due to the fact that Feige has been building it based on Hickman from the start.

SHIELD being Hydra in Winter Soldier is from his SHIELD series. Then the Thanos storyline melds the 1991 Infinity Gauntlet with Hickman's more recent Infinity (he created the Black Order). Now they're doing Time Runs out with the Incursions. They just introduced the Anchor concept that Hickman came up with (in the comics it's a piece of Molecule Man in each universe, in the MCU it's a specific character in each universe) to build to his Secret Wars. It's not going to be the 80s Beyonder that was made to sell toys, it's the Hickman GOD EMPEROR DOOM as the villain in Secret Wars.

Far too many people didn't read comics. Those who did knew EXACTLY what the Multiverse Saga was building to and it's amazing.

Aye, Marvel did the right thing using Hickman as the template. His Avengers run that leads to Secret Wars is a contender for greatest comic run of all time.

Toons

It was funny and Hugh was great as always. The story though .. Typical marvel. Faceless army in the third act (although with a twist) and some kind of “Sky beam machine” at the end. Something even nostalgia can’t cover. I’ll be very happy when the multiverse saga comes to an end ..
Its a good movie, but its kinda funny to me. If you hadn't liked what MCU has been doing post endgame I don't see how this is going to change your mind, it ahs all the same hallmarks and quipped dialogue and cgi explosion ending and over the top fight scenes, they just wink at you when doing it.

I enjoyed it but this is in no way better than guardians 3 or even wakanda forever to me. Like not even close.

Its pretty awesome for what it is, and hilarious at that. However even i felt the swearing jsut became gratuitous where no one would actually talk like that.

The part with the comic Wolverine callback montage night be my favorite part of the movie. I love how they poked fun at how ridiculous short Wolverine would look. Maybe we can reflect on if we really need that in live action?

And I dont care what AAAAAANYONE says. That mask. Was badass.

No. Not even close.

Secret Wars in 2027 will be the multiverse on steroids.

I just want to see a live action version of this scene.

GMXrRGn.jpeg

That's why I want more than one movie of Secret Wars

I'm a huge fan of the 2016 event and relegating it to one movie is lame in my opinion. I'm still taking a wait and see attitude to it though

IDKFA

I'm a huge fan of the 2016 event and relegating it to one movie is lame in my opinion. I'm still taking a wait and see attitude to it though

I know what you mean. There is a lot of content for one film.

Doomsday will be the set up (hoping we'll get to see the X-Men in that film? IIRC, did Scott Summers have a big role in the lead up to Secret Wars?)

Then Secret Wars is all on Battleworld

ManaByte

Gold Member

Doomsday ends with the 616 universe dying in an incursion with the Fox universe. Everyone is dead. Cut to black.

A year later and there's a three hour Secret Wars movie.

It's the Snap x9000

Top Bottom