• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool & Wolverine Open Spoilers Thread

It wasn’t just the movies…

maxresdefault.jpg

Was this cartoon good? As much as I love Wolverine, there were other mutants I love too like Nightcrawler and Colossus. Fox really screwed alot of the mutants I feel. I still love some of their stuff like X-Men 2, Days of Future Past, Logan etc but there were alot more really bad movies than good when it came to their X-Men films

Was this cartoon good? As much as I love Wolverine, there were other mutants I love too like Nightcrawler and Colossus. Fox really screwed alot of the mutants I feel. I still love some of their stuff like X-Men 2, Days of Future Past, Logan etc but there were alot more really bad movies than good when it came to their X-Men films
It was the ‘Spectacular Spiderman’ of Xmen cartoons. Something fresh, new, and very well written.

Much like Spectacular Spiderman, it was cut off at the knees before it could become something special. It was cancelled after 2 seasons and ended on a very good cliffhanger. A big punch to the gut.

Pirates Of The Caribbean Agree GIF

Don’t get me wrong, First Class did nail that, but it was a bit jarring to see the first team chronologically consist of: Xavier, Beast (makes sense so far), Magneto (eh, makes sense given the story), Mystique (err, oookay), Havok (Alex was on the team before Scott?!), Banshee (bruh), and Darwin (the most random, wait, that didn’t mean you had to off the poor guy before he could even do anything!). Not exactly what I would think of in terms of anyone who would be on the first X-men team, not saying characters like Havok, Banshee, and Darwin couldn’t have shown up later but it was a weird choice to begin with them.

Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix got to more classic lineups, but the writing quality took a major hit in those films.

We need a X-men team film with solid writing that knows how to develop all the members of the team, the way the Avengers films, the Guardians of the Galaxy films, and the second Suicide Squad film did. Let’s see a full team that are all fleshed out.

vapEzl5.jpeg

X-Men First Class was another of the Fox X-Men Movies I loved. And the teamwork is why as you mentioned. Fox couldn't help themselves though and still put a cameo of Logan. It was well done I admit.

I know with the MCU version of Mutants, they just aren't gonna to focus on Wolverine and focus on all the Mutants which is why I'm excited

It was the ‘Spectacular Spiderman’ of Xmen cartoons. Something fresh, new, and very well written.

Much like Spectacular Spiderman, it was cut off at the knees before it could become something special. It was cancelled after 2 seasons and ended on a very good cliffhanger. A big punch to the gut.

I think that Fiege might being those cartoons back as continuations like he did with X-Men 97. That's speculation from me, but D23 is this week, so there might be some announcements from the Marvel Animation Panel

I think that Fiege might being those cartoons back as continuations like he did with X-Men 97. That's speculation from me, but D23 is this week, so there might be some announcements from the Marvel Animation Panel
Wolverine and the Xmen simply didn’t have the same level of fandom that Spectacular Spiderman had.

Some of that was due to air time, some of it was due to the movies being in a bad place (this cartoon was right after the one-two punch of Xmen 3 and Origins: Wolverine), and lastly some of it was due to the fact that the Xmen Evolution cartoon had just barely ended (whereas Spiderman was allowed a large time to breathe between the 90s cartoon and Spectacular).

Out of all of the broken promises, cliffhangers, and cancelled endings, the only thing that still baffles me to this day in Superhero cartoon history is how Ultimate Spiderman, the agreed upon second worst Spiderman cartoon, managed to live until it’s final conclusion.

To this day I don’t even hear Gen Z reminisce about it. I don’t even know who even liked it, because no one ever speaks up about it.

Wolverine and the Xmen simply didn’t have the same level of fandom that Spectacular Spiderman had.

Some of that was due to air time, some of it was due to the movies being in a bad place (this cartoon was right after the one-two punch of Xmen 3 and Origins: Wolverine), and lastly some of it was due to the fact that the Xmen Evolution cartoon had just barely ended (whereas Spiderman was allowed a large time to breathe between the 90s cartoon and Spectacular).

Out of all of the broken promises, cliffhangers, and cancelled endings, the only thing that still baffles me to this day in Superhero cartoon history is how Ultimate Spiderman, the agreed upon second worst Spiderman cartoon, managed to live until it’s final conclusion.

To this day I don’t even hear Gen Z reminisce about it. I don’t even know who even liked it, because no one ever speaks up about it.

Funny enough I was watching Ultimate Spider-Man when it first aired. I immediately dropped it after the 3rd episode. That cartoon was horrible lol

Funny enough I was watching Ultimate Spider-Man when it first aired. I immediately dropped it after the 3rd episode. That cartoon was horrible lol
I watched the entire thing not long ago to give it a legitimate chance, because I wanted to know why this show specifically had actually managed to finish to completion. I would just download two episodes a day when I did my cardio sessions at the gym.

I get why it’s engaging, the pacing is very tiktok-esque and quick and it had a ton of cool cameos, but otherwise the story was lackluster for the majority of it.

I’ll give it this, it managed to actually give Venom a better origin story than the usual Venom origin story, and secondly it was the first Spiderman cartoon to actually feature Agent Venom in a prominent role for a full season.

I watched the entire thing not long ago to give it a legitimate chance, because I wanted to know why this show specifically had actually managed to finish to completion. I would just download two episodes a day when I did my cardio sessions at the gym.

I get why it’s engaging, the pacing is very tiktok-esque and quick and it had a ton of cool cameos, but otherwise the story was lackluster for the majority of it.

I’ll give it this, it managed to actually give Venom a better origin story than the usual Venom origin story, and secondly it was the first Spiderman cartoon to actually feature Agent Venom in a prominent role for a full season.

The only reason why I was interested in it at the time was because the animation looked great and it just looked good. I wasn't impressed by what I saw though due to the story and characters not grabbing me. I think Spider-Ham shows up in that show too

Mobilemofo

Well, I Initially didn't have much interest in this, but if snipes is cameo in this, imma have a watch. He's right too...there's only 1 blade.

Last edited:
Say what the fuck you want but this is the best Marvel movie in a while. It's compulsively re-watchable. Every scene is calculated.

They have my permission to make a Spiderman x Deadpool movie. Can you imagine the fucking cameos in that? Tobey, Garfield, Miles fucking Morales. A recipe for awesomesauce,

Last edited:
I never saw Blade 3 until recently so their interaction is a lot funnier to me now. Reynolds pretty much just played Deadpool in that movie and I believe that was prior to DP's current rendition.
It's very easy to forget that they've shared a set together before. I'm pretty sure they were on good terms. Movie sucked balls but I'm sure they got along.

SJRB

Gold Member
I never saw Blade 3 until recently so their interaction is a lot funnier to me now. Reynolds pretty much just played Deadpool in that movie and I believe that was prior to DP's current rendition.

Ryan Reynolds has been pushing Deadpool for an insanely long time before he actually got things going. The way he handled the guerilla marketing to make Deadpool a thing is legit incredible, he deserves all the success.

ManaByte

No, Deadpool was like this since 1997 when Joe Kelly took over the solo comic.

tkscz

Thanks, if you google it, a lot of people claim it was Gail Simon that made him like this in the early 2000s but I swore he was like that a little longer.

Doom85

I mean, he definitely was tamer in how much fourth wall comedy he did in the original Joe Kelly comic, at least early on IIRC. Don’t get me wrong, it was there, but not as frequently as fans of later runs and the movies might expect. Cable and Deadpool (though the physical re-releases changed it to Deadpool and Cable) was when I remember him going at it at the rate most fans know now.

It’s because I remember seeing someone getting corrected by claiming Harley Quinn these days was just ripping off Deadpool. Ignoring the fact Deadpool is not the first character, even in comics, to break the fourth wall plenty, apparently there was an early 2000’s Harley comic where she did just that. So the two actually were more or less neck to neck in doing it. Regardless, I know at least She-Hulk beat both to the punch in the comics, and there was probably more before her (though I’m not counting old Golden/Silver Age non-canon panels of characters advertising or things like that).

Honestly, that was the most Deadpool thing ever when the posse rolled up in a Honda Odyssey to bring the noise. It sounds so ridiculous on paper but it worked.

And Reynolds has thrown Tatum a life preserver for real.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Just got back.

A solid thumbs up overall. Lots of fan service, lots of dumping on the post-Endgame MCU and Disney and the multiverse, which was much needed catharsis.

It still suffers somewhat from using the multiverse despite that, but they made the most of it with all the fun cameos. Gambit and Blade were great, all the Deadpools, Johnny, etc. Great post credit scene too.

Biggest knock on it was spending so much time in the void. Not a very interesting setting, and I thought the plot would move on from it a lot faster than it did.

But all the banter and fights between the leads kept the energy going.

Hopefully this is the grand sendoff for the multiverse storylines.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Hopefully this is the grand sendoff for the multiverse storylines.

Sadly, I think they're doubling down on that shit.

It should probably occur to them at some point that the biggest success they've had with multiverse movies in years is the one that's taking the piss out of the concept.

Last edited:

Doom85

Lots of fan service, lots of dumping on the post-Endgame MCU and Disney and the multiverse, which was much needed catharsis.

I don’t know if I would consider three times or so “lots”. Especially as this movie itself was a multiverse film, and really the multiversal stuff has been some of the better stuff received in Phase 4 and Phase 5: Spidey: No Way Home, Loki, and Deadpool and Wolverine (Dr. Strange 2 less so, though it still made much more money than his first film…). Also, even outside of the MCU, the Spider-verse films and Everything Everywhere All at Once. It’s hard not to feel like the multiversal complaining is a vocal minority given the actual reception/box office of most of the multiversal installments don’t support the narrative that the complaining is projecting. Not saying one can’t dislike it, I just don’t think it’s as widely held an opinion as some think it is.

And really only one major criticism moment of the MCU, because some of us were still enjoying most of it and I know they were smart enough to appease the critics but not go so far as to give the middle finger to those still having fun. You can do what you need to do to add more hands, but taking the route that avoids biting the hand that was currently feeding you is a well known rule. Christ, this movie, in its credits montage, even included the 2015 Fantastic Four film in its “remember the good times” montage.

The film would be up its own ass IMHO if it dumped on Phase 4 and Phase 5 a ton but then showed 2015 FF and went, “hey guys, remember this good time?” Because my reaction to that would be:

Animated GIF

Last edited:

ManaByte

Especially as this movie itself was a multiverse film, and really the multiversal stuff has been some of the better stuff received in Phase 4 and Phase 5: Spidey: No Way Home, Loki, and Deadpool and Wolverine (Dr. Strange 2 less so, though it still made much more money than his first film…). Also, even outside of the MCU, the Spider-verse films and Everything Everywhere All at Once. It’s hard not to feel like the multiversal complaining is a vocal minority given the actual reception/box office of most of the multiversal installments don’t support the narrative that the complaining is projecting. Not saying one can’t dislike it, I just don’t think it’s as widely held an opinion as some think it is.

All of the multiverse stuff is to adapt the best comic event in the last TWENTY YEARS. It's Jonathan Hickman's masterpiece and they're currently in the middle of adapting Time Runs Out in the lead up.

Sentry is a big part of that and he's introduced in Thunerbolts in May, which ends Phase 4.

incursions-being-explained-in-marvel-comics-time-runs-out.jpg

New-Avengers-Incursion.jpg

Secret+Wars+3.jpg

GTihrzpWIAAm3nU-2.jpg

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I couldn't understand a motherfucking thing that Gambit was saying. Good on Deadpool for clearing that in every scene because I really couldn't understand what the fuck Tatum was saying. No hard feelings. I loved everything about Gambit, he was cool a shit. Just don't let him talk or do exposition lol
You have to hear the Cajun Sweetie.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Pirates Of The Caribbean Agree GIF

Don’t get me wrong, First Class did nail that, but it was a bit jarring to see the first team chronologically consist of: Xavier, Beast (makes sense so far), Magneto (eh, makes sense given the story), Mystique (err, oookay), Havok (Alex was on the team before Scott?!), Banshee (bruh), and Darwin (the most random, wait, that didn’t mean you had to off the poor guy before he could even do anything!). Not exactly what I would think of in terms of anyone who would be on the first X-men team, not saying characters like Havok, Banshee, and Darwin couldn’t have shown up later but it was a weird choice to begin with them.

Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix got to more classic lineups, but the writing quality took a major hit in those films.

We need a X-men team film with solid writing that knows how to develop all the members of the team, the way the Avengers films, the Guardians of the Galaxy films, and the second Suicide Squad film did. Let’s see a full team that are all fleshed out.

vapEzl5.jpeg

I want an X-men film where they actually have Colossus and Gambit.

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Just got out with my wife. Some fuck head website 2 days ago has a picture of channing tatum as gambit just put there.

I liked it. Weirdly paced in some areas. Guess it was a love letter to fox.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I am still so happy about how the audience erupted when Blade and Gambit were introduced.

Snipes is like 60-something so I doubt we'll ever get another Blade movie. But Tatum could and should get a Gambit movie. His Cajun put-on is ace.

Dutchy

Definitely the weakest of the three but I still enjoyed it. But was it me or did it try to cater to a younger audience this time around? There were some questionable lines that made me cringe a little. Like DP went from witty to straight up wacky.

I do hope all of the multiverse banter is a sign of them finally abandoning the concept. When it was full-on introduced in end game, I quit watching Marvel movies alltogether (DP excluded). I personally think it just makes for lazy and boring story telling.

Top Bottom