• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool |OT| Like Batman With Guns

TheOGB

Banned
I gotta say, it sounds like if any game could get away with being unpolished or not giving a fuck, it's a Deadpool game.

stealthkill_zps5327d573.gif

Haha love how he turns around to show the camera the kill.

Yep... I'm not trying to say bad stuff about Giant Bomb, I do tend to like alot of their content, but I call it as I see it. They suck at games alot of times. They make DeadPool look worse then it is.

Yeah, Giant Bomb are some of the worst at playing games compared to other sites. Do NOT watch them play a puzzle game, it's some of the most infuriating watches you can have haha!

Tizoc

Just finished the first job and I had a BLAST, gameplay is basic IMO, and the hit effects need more weight on them. Plus melee attacks feel rather slow but nothing too bad as enemies get taken down at a good speed while playing on Normal.
Really loving the humor it's pretty much what I'd expect from a Deadpool game and I gotta say I was mindblown
when I found out what the balloon castle is for, pure genius

Those with the game do you use the regular swords or the sai in combat. Not sure if I should invest my DP into the sai if they aren't that good. I know the combos for them are at least pretty cool to look at.

Also, who would have guessed that Deadpool had
a love interest
. I thought he would be to crazy to have one.

Gbraga

Just finished the first job and I had a BLAST, gameplay is basic IMO, and the hit effects need more weight on them. Plus melee attacks feel rather slow but nothing too bad as enemies get taken down at a good speed while playing on Normal.
Really loving the humor it's pretty much what I'd expect from a Deadpool game and I gotta say I was mindblown
when I found out what the balloon castle is for, pure genius

Can you confirm the game has jump cancel?

Tizoc

^I tried to do it once but it didn't happen, guess either it's an advanced combo attack I gotta purchase or it requires some specific timing in attacks?

I did. I tried it twice just in case a second phone call counted as two. :(

Ooof off t top of my head...
The dog...Dogpool?
The phone
The oven in the kitchen
Take a dump in the bathroom
wash your hands
Look at either bookshelf in the house
watch TV
sleep on the couch
play the guitar
check the internets
Blow up the doll
Keep drinking beer in the fridge
I know I'm missing a few but if one of the stuff u missed is one of these then I hope I've helped ^^;

Beth Cyra

Watched a preview of about half the game
Up to the end of Genosha
I got to say unlike alot of people I think the combat look like shit. Several of Deadpools attacks have such stupidly huge hit boxes there are more then a few that actually can easily connect with enemies that are both far enough to be clearly out of Sword or attack animation range. It's just odd.

Still I will likely pick it up at the Winter sale or if it ever has a daily and gets down to 15$.

Tizoc

Tizoc, how's the input lag, if any at all?

And for those who've played the PC version, is the framerate locked?

Never noticed any input lag while playing my PS3 ver., although I would advise being careful when pressing the O button to dodge, just press it once, cuz I kept mashing it and ended up away from enemies =P

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Game's amazing, but after a big fight team up with Cable I don't know what to do, C's just running around in circles and nothing happens. Should I save or rather not? Do I miss anything?

^I tried to do it once but it didn't happen, guess either it's an advanced combo attack I gotta purchase or it requires some specific timing in attacks?

Do it exactly as I explained. light, heavy launch, jump, light, jump, light, jump,light till dead.

He never explained the two sometime cancel.

Never noticed any input lag while playing my PS3 ver., although I would advise being careful when pressing the O button to dodge, just press it once, cuz I kept mashing it and ended up away from enemies =P

Double or triple tapping will mean you do the dash 2/3 times with no further input. Dunno yet but maybe you can also change direction too?

So, I went to buy it off of Gamefly and I guess they don't want my money. Keeps on telling me that my credit card exp. date needs to be in the future. I just used the card for dinner about 20 minutes ago.

:|

Bummer...

Oh well, I'll just wait for it on the ultracheap.

JohngPR

The dog...Dogpool?
The phone
The oven in the kitchen
wash your hands
watch TV
sleep on the couch
play the guitar
check the internets
Blow up the doll
I know I'm missing a few but if one of the stuff u missed is one of these then I hope I've helped ^^;

Do you have to keep drinking the beer to get that one? I drank 2-3 of them before I stopped. I did do the rest of those. Thanks!

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Can't seem to unlock the frame rate. Regardless of vsync being enabled or not the game runs at 60 frames. Would like to force it to 120.

I have the same problem. Tried turning off vsync in game and setting it to adaptive in nvidia control panel - no luck yet.

iavi

The game's pretty fun, so far. The combat feels like a mix between the latest DMC--with the overall speed and quick weapon switching, and Arkham--with the quick counters. Surprisingly solid stuff.

I have the same problem. Tried turning off vsync in game and setting it to adaptive in nvidia control panel - no luck yet.

Kind of a shame too since it'd be such an easy 120fps. That UE.

Bought it, for 40 bucks why not. Looks like it's going to be a one-of-a-kind type of campaign what with all of DP's shenanigans, I gotta support that.

JohngPR

The dog...Dogpool?
The phone
The oven in the kitchen
wash your hands
watch TV
sleep on the couch
play the guitar
check the internets
Blow up the doll

Keep drinking the beer and make pancakes.

Just had to keep drinking the beer until he stopped himself.
Thanks guys. :)

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so did this game actually turn out good?

I didn't want to judge by the GB quick look because I don't like the way Ryan plays games.

koryuken

This game looks good, but not $60, the Last of Us, good.

They should have a priced it at $30-40. It will end up at that price point in a few weeks anyways...

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
This game looks good, but not $60, the Last of Us, good.

They should have a priced it at $30-40. It will end up at that price point in a few weeks anyways...

Good thing it's $39.99 on Steam then. (region difference?)

I'm looking for a config file or something, the game must be applying a frame rate cap internally (separate from vsync). Update: Coalesced.ini is in there as usual, but it's compressed or encrypted.

Karak

so did this game actually turn out good?

I didn't want to judge by the GB quick look because I don't like the way Ryan plays games.

From most of the posts here it seems that most agree that its good. Its going to sort of be up to you how much you want to pay for it. I don't feel ripped off in any way by paying for it for the review.

jamsy

Played an hour (or maybe two?) of this, and so far I really like it.

It's genuinely funny, and makes me want to keep on playing, even though the gameplay is pretty meh.

Some of the bad guys take way too long to defeat, and while the combat system is decent, it gets tedious relatively quickly. Also, didn't realize that when the B button comes up above enemies, it means you can do a special combo...I thought it was supposed to be like teleporting behind them...

Game was chugging pretty good on my laptop at max settings though, so I'll need to turn down some settings to get a better framerate.

Not really digging the gameplay so far, and really not digging the humor. I was hoping it'd be a mix, but so far everything is pretty cringe-worthy.

iavi

Played an hour (or maybe two?) of this, and so far I really like it.

It's genuinely funny, and makes me want to keep on playing, even though the gameplay is pretty meh.

Some of the bad guys take way too long to defeat, and while the combat system is decent, it gets tedious relatively quickly. Also, didn't realize that when the B button comes up above enemies, it means you can do a special combo...I thought it was supposed to be like teleporting behind them...

Game was chugging pretty good on my laptop at max settings though, so I'll need to turn down some settings to get a better framerate.

The B button seems to be contextual. If it's just a B overhead, they're about to strike and it's simply a parry, but if it's a B with the little zaps or something, it's a special combo.

JohngPR

Good thing it's $39.99 on Steam then. (region difference?)

I'm looking for a config file or something, the game must be applying a frame rate cap internally (separate from vsync). Update: Coalesced.ini is in there as usual, but it's compressed or encrypted.

There's a decrypter out there for Transformers: War for Cybertron that works with this game. Messing around with it now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can you confirm the game has jump cancel?

Yeah, it seems like you can.

For people who were wondering about more advanced combat tactics, here are some initial impressions after a couple of hours.

With the default launcher, there really didn't seem to be enough time to jump and aircombo, but with the upgraded launcher combo (X, Y, X), you can jump and pseudo-enemy step cancel. I wasn't getting it early on because the enemies die too quickly during the beginning of the game. It works on the stronger baddies, though. I actually killed a boss
Arclight
in one long extended jump cancel air combo. They never touched the ground, hah.

There's real time weapon switching mid combo. There's not a ton of utility to it, but it's certainly nice to have. One immediate advantage is that you can use the rapid striking sais (tons of quick hits but incredibly weak) to get a huge huge combo, then switch to the sword to finish off the enemy and get the combo bonus. It's not like DMC or Bayonetta where the weapons behave very differently or anything, but it's okay to toy around with.

The teleport has a cooldown if you mash it, but as long as you wait about a second before teleporting again, you can continuously teleport around the room... avoiding most gunfire. And then you can get upgrades that give you health after every certain hit in a combo (haven't purchased the skill yet), so I imagine that the bullet damage that people were complaining about will become negligible when you get good at closing gaps by teleporting. And yes, you can buffer teleport inputs by pressing it a few times in a row... change direction, too (it doesn't buffer the direction, you still have to change your direction as he's teleporting). Ultimately, though, it drains your cooldown all in one swoop, so it's not really worth it unless you're running away. I don't see an indicator of how much cooldown there is... that would have been nice. There is an upgrade path that lets you teleport five times in a row, though.

The teleport lets you exploit the AI a bit too. Again, it's not like DMC or Bayonetta, where there are a ton of unique enemy actions. In this game, enemies have a limited moveset. Against some of the huge lumbering dudes, you can literally bait their melee over and over until they die by X, X, teleport, X, X, teleport, X, X, teleport, ad nauseum.

I'm not sure where twosome time is yet. I don't know if it's with the default handguns or the SMGs, but I'll play around with it. If let you guys know if I find it.

There's also a counter system a la Batman Arkham Asylum. Pressing B, which is also teleport, performs a counter when there's a symbol over your opponents' head. It acts as an option select almost because there's no real penalty to hitting B since you'll just teleport out of trouble if you somehow mess it up.

The lock-on.... I don't get it. I haven't really tried it too much because it's not really necessary, but it's awkwardly done. It seems that enemies have you be on your screen to lock onto them and it's the same button that draws your guns.

The combat's not super deep or responsive. You can have fun experimenting with it. The game's combat tries to do a lot of different things, but it does none of them exceedingly well. That said, I don't care. I'm having fun with it so far.

Orca

Yep... I'm not trying to say bad stuff about Giant Bomb, I do tend to like alot of their content, but I call it as I see it. They suck at games alot of times. They make DeadPool look worse then it is.

That's what makes me shake my head about them. I listen to them talk about games and they know their stuff. They are clearly passionate about games and seem like they'd be solid players.

Then they show gameplay and they're just terrible. Doesn't seem to matter what the game is either. It just baffles me that they can churn out reviews that I would, on the whole, tend to agree with...but they are just terrible at games.

ElRenoRaven

ROFLMAO.

OMG I can't stop laughing. I'm two levels in and this game has had me laughing more then any game I've ever played. I've already earned my money's worth with it.

Top Bottom