• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool |OT| Like Batman With Guns

This game looks good, but not $60, the Last of Us, good.

They should have a priced it at $30-40. It will end up at that price point in a few weeks anyways...

I find it funny when people compare games to the quality of an exceptional title that we get every few years. Of course most games won't be as good as something like that for $60 man. lol

That's what makes me shake my head about them. I listen to them talk about games and they know their stuff. They are clearly passionate about games and seem like they'd be solid players.

Then they show gameplay and they're just terrible. Doesn't seem to matter what the game is either. It just baffles me that they can churn out reviews that I would, on the whole, tend to agree with...but they are just terrible at games.

Yep I don't get it either. The need someone like me on their team... a person that A. Plays everything, B. knows their shit, and C. can actually still play competently.

PaulloDEC

Grabbed this yesterday evening for $30 on Steam (the first time ever Australia seems to be beating other countries on price?). Reviews might be mediocre, but I feel like the game is going to have enough charm to be worth the asking price.

Gartooth

Reviews be damned, yes the gameplay isn't groundbreaking or excellent in comparison to other action games, but it's still a lot of quick unrestricted fun which is what I wanted from a Deadpool game.So far it's $40 well spent.
Bitch slapping Wolverine was definitely a highlight so far, also loved the Zelda esque dungeon early on.

Karak

That's what makes me shake my head about them. I listen to them talk about games and they know their stuff. They are clearly passionate about games and seem like they'd be solid players.

Then they show gameplay and they're just terrible. Doesn't seem to matter what the game is either. It just baffles me that they can churn out reviews that I would, on the whole, tend to agree with...but they are just terrible at games.

I feel that they should make it clear that they are doing everything they can do make fools of themselves and the game. They purposefully fail and cause issues in so many quick looks its ridicules but many people think that they are being serious and judge purchases on them. In fact its always been one of my sore spots about Giant Bomb because it doesn't seem to fit with the overall tone which is a sort of clear judging of the games in the industry but then they do that shit.

Yeah, I can confirm.

For people who were wondering about more advanced combat tactics, here are some initial impressions after a couple of hours.

With the default launcher, there really didn't seem to be enough time to jump and aircombo, but with the upgraded launcher combo (X, Y, X), you can jump and pseudo-enemy step cancel. I wasn't getting it early on because the enemies die too quickly during the beginning of the game. It works on the stronger baddies, though. I actually killed a boss
Arclight
in one long extended jump cancel air combo. They never touched the ground, hah.

There's real time weapon switching mid combo. There's not a ton of utility to it, but it's certainly nice to have. One immediate advantage is that you can use the rapid striking sais (tons of quick hits but incredibly weak) to get a huge huge combo, then switch to the sword to finish off the enemy and get the combo bonus. It's not like DMC or Bayonetta where the weapons behave very differently or anything, but it's okay to toy around with.

The teleport has a cooldown if you mash it, but as long as you wait about a second before teleporting again, you can continuously teleport around the room... avoiding most gunfire. And then you can get upgrades that give you health after every certain hit in a combo (haven't purchased the skill yet), so I imagine that the bullet damage that people were complaining about will become negligible when you get good at closing gaps by teleporting. And yes, you can buffer teleport inputs by pressing it a few times in a row... change direction, too (it doesn't buffer the direction, you still have to change your direction as he's teleporting). Ultimately, though, it drains your cooldown all in one swoop, so it's not really worth it unless you're running away. I don't see an indicator of how much cooldown there is... that would have been nice. There is an upgrade path that lets you teleport five times in a row, though.

The teleport lets you exploit the AI a bit too. Again, it's not like DMC or Bayonetta, where there are a ton of unique enemy actions. In this game, enemies have a limited moveset. Against some of the huge lumbering dudes, you can literally bait their melee over and over until they die by X, X, teleport, X, X, teleport, X, X, teleport, ad nauseum.

I'm not sure where twosome time is yet. I don't know if it's with the default handguns or the SMGs, but I'll play around with it. If let you guys know if I find it.

There's also a counter system a la Batman Arkham Asylum. Pressing B, which is also teleport, performs a counter when there's a symbol over your opponents' head. It acts as an option select almost because there's no real penalty to hitting B since you'll just teleport out of trouble if you somehow mess it up.

The lock-on.... I don't get it. I haven't really tried it too much because it's not really necessary, but it's awkwardly done. It seems that enemies have you be on your screen to lock onto them and it's the same button that draws your guns.

The combat's not super deep or responsive. You can have fun experimenting with it. The game's combat tries to do a lot of different things, but it does none of them exceedingly well. That said, I don't care. I'm having fun with it so far.

So basically Marvels answer to DMC, with a fuckton of weird humour. Yum...

I think someones obsevation this is a western Suda51 game is spot on. I loved NMH, I loved Lollipop chainsaw and Ill love killer is dead.

Not every game has to redefine the genre.

Sounds like hard is the way to go though.

iavi

Are there full version of the tracks used during the character introductions for Psylocke and Rogue floating around anywhere? Those things are catchy as all hell.

Gartooth

I'm playing with keyboard + mouse and the game is certainly manageable with them, if timing was key in the combat such as say Dark Souls or Bayonetta then yeah a controller would be a must, but Deadpool is very forgiving and kind to people who make a lot of mistakes or mash buttons.

Also have to echo the shitty camera problems, just awful.

ElRenoRaven

I'm playing with keyboard + mouse and the game is certainly manageable with them, if timing was key in the combat such as say Dark Souls or Bayonetta then yeah a controller would be a must, but Deadpool is very forgiving and kind to people who make a lot of mistakes or mash buttons.

Also have to echo the shitty camera problems, just awful.

Really? The only time I've had a problem was in a tight area against a wall and on the PS3 version when it locked in place after making a phone call in the apartment.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So basically Marvels answer to DMC, with a fuckton of weird humour. Yum...

I think someones obsevation this is a western Suda51 game is spot on. I loved NMH, I loved Lollipop chainsaw and Ill love killer is dead.

Not every game has to redefine the genre.

Sounds like hard is the way to go though.

I wouldn't go that far. In fact, the combat's pacing is more in line with God of War + Batman:AA than DMC. If you liked Lollipop Chainsaw, though (I did), then I'm sure you'll find a place in your heart for this game, too.

Getting aircombos are still wonky, and I'm not getting them consistently. I think low ceilings might actually make it impossible. The combat takes a back seat to the variety, the spectacle, and DeadPool's character for sure. As long as those are what you're looking for, you'll have a good time.

I'm playing on Normal right now, and I might recommend that most people do the same. I'm not having any real difficulties, but I can understand why some of the earlier levels might cause problems. I believe Hard is designed around New Game+, where you have some skills. The early gunfire on Hard could become a real problem when you're a level zero DeadPool since he only has one evasive move- the teleport, which is restricted to a timer. And he can only heal by waiting it out and not taking damage (in other words, taking cover). A leveled up DeadPool will be able to get health back via combos, teleport more, and have more health, so stray gunfire would be less of an issue. Still, it would probably just require a lot more patience.

Yo, the camera in this game is hot assholes

Yeah, it's real bad. And the lock-on makes little sense.

An-Det

I've been watching the Dtoid stream for a while now this evening and the game looks like a blast, a bit clunky but they fucking nailed Deadpool. I had no idea that High Noon did this either. Very much interested now.

Ghazi

Watching the Destructoid stream right now; my god this game looks like the game Deadpool deserves. Also that
bathroom
scene was the most awkward and funny thing ever.

I see I'm not the only one lol

eshwaaz

My copy is in the mail, but man, reviews ain't so hot. After disappointing sales of Fall of Cybertron (which I really enjoyed) I hope this isn't the end for High Moon.

Pretty fun stuff. Moreso than I expected it to be haha.

Actually laughed out loud at some parts (more than the usual chuckle).
Nolan's voice(s) were kinda too much at first, but it's definitely been growing on me.

Dudes with machine guns are a pain in the ass though. And the camera sucks balls.

I'm playing on Normal right now, and I might recommend that most people do the same. I'm not having any real difficulties, but I can understand why some of the earlier levels might cause problems. I believe Hard is designed around New Game+, where you have some skills.

Exactly what I was saying earlier. The guns just hit for too much damage on hard your first time thru.

lol, I just got a 250+ combo and received a 300,000 DP point bonus.

That's awesome.

ElRenoRaven

But I mean with the combo system would a controller not work better?

I don't think so. it's not that deep with the combat. I don't see why you couldn't pull off the combos just as easy with a keyboard.

I wouldn't go that far. In fact, the combat's pacing is more in line with God of War + Batman:AA than DMC. If you liked Lollipop Chainsaw, though (I did), then I'm sure you'll find a place in your heart for this game, too

I totally agree. To me it feels like a less open Batman with guns. I also agree if you liked Lollipop Chainsaw then the humor of this game is on par with that.

I've been watching the Dtoid stream for a while now this evening and the game looks like a blast, a bit clunky but they fucking nailed Deadpool. I had no idea that High Noon did this either. Very much interested now.

Yea. I totally agree. Deadpool just nails the humor of the comics and while the gameplay isn't deep it's fun. High Moon doesn't make AAA games but they make damn amazing A to AA games. I have enjoyed both Transformers games and this game is beyond a laugh riot that I'm enjoying the hell out of.

JohngPR

I missed this one. IN fact I thought that the game was fucking with me and that you couldn't get the achievement.

I thought the same exact thing and moved on. LOL

I only had to go back and do the one I missed to get the achievement.

I figured people meant the camera was bad when they said the game is clunky. In all the pure gameplay footage I've seen, it can get pretty gross.

Was this a budget title? The general design of the game and the price tag make me think so. I don't mean that as an insult either. I'm having a blast. I actually think the industry could use more games like this (if a bit more polished). If more companies made smaller, tighter games like this one, and pushed 'em out at 40/50 bucks instead of 60, I think some companies may be in a healthier state than they are now.

Anyway, game's a lot of fun. It actually reminds me of older Superhero games before open world became the new hotness.

Karak

I thought the same exact thing and moved on. LOL

I only had to go back and do the one I missed to get the achievement.

The humour is just so amazing that I totally was like "Ha the game is fucking with me that is brilliant:)"

Also the eating with the mask bit,. So many funny bits and much of it isn't racy or anything.

iavi

Was this a budget title? The general design of the game and the price tag make me think so. I don't mean that as an insult either. I'm having a blast. I actually think the industry could use more games like this (if a bit more polished). If more companies made smaller, tighter games like this one, and pushed 'em out at 40/50 bucks instead of 60, I think some companies may be in a healthier state than they are now.

Anyway, game's a lot of fun. It actually reminds me of older Superhero games before open world became the new hotness.

It doesn't particularly feel like a budget title.

Karak

Well I am now moving on to Ride to Hell Retribution to play and review it...and I think...its going to be a downgrade from this game hahahaha.

Dinosur

Came home and mowed then the power went out so I couldn't go to dinner until 10pm. Rewarded my patience with the Gamefly PC purchase, hehe.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Anyone have any luck with the framerate unlocking? Rented the game on PS3, but I know i'm going with PC when I buy it.

With vsync disabled everywhere I'm still limited to 60, but it's 60 with tearing (lol). Will try that transformers INI extractor next.

I did wind up getting 120 FPS windowed in Diablo III along the way using the frame rate limiter option in NVIDIA inspector though.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Anyone have any luck with the framerate unlocking? Rented the game on PS3, but I know i'm going with PC when I buy it.

I'm stuck at 58/59, with random drops. Downsampling from 3200x1600. I lose sound when doing 3600x2025 for some reason. Running it in 1920x1080 still locks me at 58, so I know it's not just my PC.

The game is enjoyable, though. Looks nice enough, plays nice enough. I'm liking a majority of the humor, although some of it definitely doesn't do it for me. $40 was the right price for this. There's some jank, but it's fine for a budget game. I'd recommend it to any Deadpool fan.

legbone

Well I am now moving on to Ride to Hell Retribution to play and review it...and I think...its going to be a downgrade from this game hahahaha.

keep us updated. i'm actually kind of curious about it. i don't think it has an ot. hint hint for any ambitious ot builders out there. or even just a post with ot in the title.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Holy Hell @ the One liners

The "Hey, what blood type are you?", fucking slayed me

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Here's a link to that coalesced.ini utility:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/62858477/TWfC_util.exe

Put in same folder, open command prompt,
TWfC_util.exe D coalesced.ini coalesced.txt
(edit it)
TWfC_util.exe E coalesced.txt coalesced.ini

Tested changing this section - no luck.
[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=15
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=30
PendingLevelPlayerControllerClassName=TransGame.TnPlayerController
(replaced every instance to FALSE/120/120)

Edit: actually, it must not be using these settings - otherwise the game would be limited to 30. So this setting is getting overridden by something else...

JohngPR

With vsync disabled everywhere I'm still limited to 60, but it's 60 with tearing (lol). Will try that transformers INI extractor next.

I did wind up getting 120 FPS windowed in Diablo III along the way using the frame rate limiter option in NVIDIA inspector though.

For some reason my framerate is stuck on 59...which is weird. Any idea why it's not doing 60?

rallyart

Neo Member
I'm stuck at 58/59, with random drops. Downsampling from 3200x1600. I lose sound when doing 3600x2025 for some reason. Running it in 1920x1080 still locks me at 58, so I know it's not just my PC.

The game is enjoyable, though. Looks nice enough, plays nice enough. I'm liking a majority of the humor, although some of it definitely doesn't do it for me. $40 was the right price for this. There's some jank, but it's fine for a budget game. I'd recommend it to any Deadpool fan.

I´m having the same issue, hovering between 57 to 59, random drops, if I downsampling anything above 2880x1620 I lose sound.....I´ll wait a patch before playing.

Top Bottom