• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool |OT| Like Batman With Guns

Karak

Great review, that pool scene was great. That gameplay variety reminds me of Alice Madness Returns, weirdly enough! Nice to know the combat feels good. Might get the PC version to avoid the framerate issues and slightly muddy graphics (or maybe that's just youtube video quality). Made a gif of that amazing sneak animation:
ibw45DAv7bwwEs.gif

I am glad you did! That is actually one of the animations I felt was done so well. It just fits so perfectly for the attitude.

The writing the game is hilarious. Perfectly fits Deadpools persona. The gameplay starts to get stale real fast and it doesn't looks as pleasing on 360 as I was hoping it would.

But play it just to see how funny it is.

Tizoc

I am glad you did! That is actually one of the animations I felt was done so well. It just fits so perfectly for the attitude.

Karak if you're still interested in reading some Deadpool comics, here's a 'reading order'/list:
Deadpool Classic TPBs
Agent X
Cable and Deadpool
Fear Itself: Deadpool
Deadpool: Wade Wilson's War

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I was watching some of the first level via Youtube.

It's strange. The game definitely looks like a budget title in the gameplay department. It's wonky, quirky, inconsistent, and lacks polish.

Strangely enough, though, the fact that it's DeadPool almost gives it a license to get away with these things. It's like, this is what a game would be if DeadPool slapped something together... coming apart at the seams a little. I'm not suggesting that it was deliberate, as the game is a clear victim of rushed development and budget constraints, but it serendipitously feels right.

This could completely change once I play it today, but the game looks like a whole lot of dumb fun.

legbone

I was watching some of the first level via Youtube.

It's strange. The game definitely looks like a budget title in the gameplay department. It's wonky, quirky, inconsistent, and lacks polish.

Strangely enough, though, the fact that it's DeadPool almost gives it a license to get away with these things. It's like, this is what a game would be if DeadPool slapped something together... coming apart at the seams a little. I'm not suggesting that it was deliberate, as the game is a clear victim of rushed development and budget constraints, but it serendipitously feels right.

This could completely change once I play it today, but the game looks like a whole lot of dumb fun.

exactly.

to me the animations for deadpool are what sell the game. that sneak animation slays me. also the way he dual wield shoots over his shoulders when running away from an enemy is hilarious. i cannot wait for my copy to get here. supposed to be here thurs but i have a feeling the usps will stretch it to fri (the bastards).

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/25/deadpool-hilariously-hacks-and-shoots-his-way-to-gaming-greatness-review/

Games beat gave it a 83/100. Reviewer mentions the game is a bit short (but ends at a peak and never gets stale) and the fighting and leveling up system is pretty standard stuff, but overall fun.

The whole Deadpool character concept seems to be carrying this game, as it should, and while there is not much innovation gameplay wise the game the game is fun and really lets you feel like the character.

I hope this game sells very well so that developers may follow suit with other comic book characters. Not every super hero game has to be Arkham style and require huge budgets. A budget game with solid gameplay and set in the right universe with an interesting character can be a success.

Can't confirm this but I was just speaking to a friend who has the game Over there and Deadpool can jump cancel. basically you launch with your triangle/Y square/X press X/A to follow and then in the air you can alternate light slashes and jumps indefinitely on a enemy unti they die. my friend also said that the teleport is a 1 frame activation and the twosome time ability leads to a lot of amazing cancels too. pretty decent if true, can someone here confirm?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Can't confirm this but I was just speaking to a friend who has the game Over there and Deadpool can jump cancel. basically you launch with your triangle/Y square/X press X/A to follow and then in the air you can alternate light slashes and jumps indefinitely on a enemy unti they die. my friend also said that the teleport is a 1 frame activation and the twosome time ability leads to a lot of amazing cancels too. pretty decent if true, can someone here confirm?

That's promising. I'll definitely test it out once I get the game later today, but I'm sure some will have already confirmed by then.

The teleport looks super fast. It's essentially a Trickster dash without recovery.

Xater

Combat looks BORING. Seriously, I'm interested in this game.... but the combat looks like a freakin chore. I mean, the animations look generic as shit... There's nothing original about it. Couldn't they have played games like DMC or Bayonetta

The Humor and 4th wall breaking ideas behind the game are fine... THe actual gameplay does not.

Please help me see this game in another light.

Add to that it looking very unpolished. It looks like a game that was probably down with a limited budget and in under 18 months.

So having played on hard and still on the first level. You feel extremely under powered when it comes to a room with dudes shooting at you and you drop quick! I've been able to hide and let me health recover but it kills the pacing of the game imo. I am starting to get more experience and level up, but I'm wondering if it's possible to play through on normal and then play with your leveled up Dead Pool on hard... if so.... I think that's probably the way to go about doing it. Not playing on hard from the start. That aside the game is funny as hell and I can't wait to see what else it throws at me. While the combat isn't extremely deep at the moment, it's serviceable and feels alright.

That's promising. I'll definitely test it out once I get the game later today, but I'm sure some will have already confirmed by then.

The teleport looks super fast. It's essentially a Trickster dash without recovery.

yeah that's exactly what my boy said. he reckons its even better than trick up in some ways because you can cancel any movement in and out of it and the only limitation is that you can only do it 3 times in a row without a small amount of recovery. He also said that if you double or Triple tap he will do the the ports automatically

Karak

Glad to see the other reviews coming in and being close to mine. I knew the would see the light.

As for the animations yes they are that good and they just fit the character. I also agree on the wonkiness and like I said in my review. Even some of the game glitches had me wondering if it was on purpose.

imBask

Banned
oh man I love the art style, and the game itself looks good

but deadpool annoys the shit out of me

what should I do? wait for the steam sales and hope for the best?

Wait... this is what the game is all about, Deadpool and his zany, over-the-top, craziness.

I only did 2 levels so far but Deadpool is funny as heck. The gameplay is ok, I'd compare it to Wolverine's Origins but less fast paced. I'm playing on normal and the game can kick your butt most of the time, especially the guys with guns.

Alright I just started the first level over on normal and kept all my upgrades, so I'd recommend starting on normal and then playing on hard with all upgrades a second time.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Honestly, your impressions seem to be the opposite of most. From most of what I've heard/seen, the gameplay, while varied, is mostly just tolerable, but DeadPool sells it.

As long as it's better than Neverdead, I'll call it a win.

It's no Never dead... that's for sure..... Also having restarted on normal. Having a much better time. Not dying every few seconds, combat is getting better since I've level'd up. Much better then starting on hard.

Gbraga

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

JESUS CHRIST I NEED THIS GAME NOW

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Embargo is up, current Metacritic: 66/100 out of 10 reviews.

Seems like your typical slightly unpolished High Moon Game. The better review have me excited. No idea why they list Gamesradar's review as a 6 when it was a 7 thouhg.

About what I was expecting. Maybe a little lower. I was thinking low 70s.

That's odd about the Gamesradar score, though. Is there a way to report it?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
ugh, im so mad i can't play this right now. im watching the GB quicklook and as much as Ryan/Jeff are shitting on it, this game is right up my alley.

Karak

It's no Never dead... that's for sure..... Also having restarted on normal. Having a much better time. Not dying every few seconds, combat is getting better since I've level'd up. Much better then starting on hard.

Ya the game is not easy. At least I didn't feel it was. It was much more difficult than I original expected.

I only did 2 levels so far but Deadpool is funny as heck. The gameplay is ok, I'd compare it to Wolverine's Origins but less fast paced. I'm playing on normal and the game can kick your butt most of the time, especially the guys with guns.
The gun peeps are notoriously difficult.

Top Bottom