• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool |OT| Like Batman With Guns

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
question for you deadpool comic fans.

which is better, deadpool max or deadpool dead presidents (posehn i think). i got a credit with my amazon preorder that i can use on dead presidents. but i'm thinking i may start with deadpool max first. i saw some early deadpool (i think it's early) but it is drawn by rob liefeld and i can't stand his shit. so, is dead presidents any good. i have heard max is good but haven't heard much about dead presidents.

I like Dead Presidents. Some early jokes are a little lame, but the writers seem to be more comfortable by the third issue. Better than Waypool.

Deadpool Max is dark and fucked up, but I enjoyed it for what it is. It's not like normal DP. There's less comedy, more extreme sexual abuse. There's still humor, but the general tone is pretty mean-spirited. It's an uncomfortable read, and I feel like the art style compliments it well.

TentPole

Just finished the intro and first level on hard with a play time of 1:33. Doesn't seem too bad for $40.

Edit: There are 6 more levels to go so I wouldn't worry about length too much.

Tizoc

question for you deadpool comic fans.

which is better, deadpool max or deadpool dead presidents (posehn i think). i got a credit with my amazon preorder that i can use on dead presidents. but i'm thinking i may start with deadpool max first. i saw some early deadpool (i think it's early) but it is drawn by rob liefeld and i can't stand his shit. so, is dead presidents any good. i have heard max is good but haven't heard much about dead presidents.

I'd go for Dead Presidents, partially because it's part of the current Marvel universe. I didn't like the more bloodier/'mature' Deadpool comics though.

Also, fucking hell Activision:
https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...pool/cid=UP0002-NPUB31069_00-DEADNAHDDGAME001

$60?!

TentPole

The humor is a little better than I was expecting from the trailers but the game lacks much in the way of polish. Suda comparisons seem appropriate though this plays better than NMH and Lollipop Chainsaw. Not as well written as those though.

Karak

Ok peeps.
Here is my rough review for the Xbox 360 version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3MoBo5HOoQ
Very minor spoilers at the end. Well not spoilers as much as a couple cutscenes that give the impressions of spoilers..but they are not(hard to describe). I put a warning in the video when it gets to that part and I go in depth with many parts including a summary at the very end before the closing.

If you don't like my reviews I am copying what I think here.

Buy, wait for a sale, rent, or don't buy rating.

Buy or wait for a sale. That depends on if you are deeply against Deadpool as a total jokester which I see people here say. I am not and I do not regret the 50 bucks nor the tracking around town to find the fucking thing.

Pros:
Breaking of the 4th wall is spot on
Combat
Humor
Upgrades
Overall graphics
Story is great! It has been somewhat done before but its handled incredibly well
Voice Acting
Variety...seriously man so much going on. Every single level has some delightful little extra I would have never expected.

Cons:
Occasional frame dips that don't impact game-play
1 Special Ability(teleport) can cause issues in close environments.
Upgrades feel like they could become redundant but don't. They just feel like they could.
Platforming sections occasionally cause trouble

Summary: I didn't know a thing about Deadpool and now I want to know more. I was consistently impressed and at times inspired by both the handling of the humor and the mix of a pretty good combat engine as well as some amazing animations(especially in cut-scenes but really everywhere).

At the end of my video I break down my summary and why I feel that games like this and Injustice Gods Among us are so vital for me as a gamer as they introduce me to comic book hero's I would never really see or read about and they perk my interest.

I had a fucking blast. Full stop.

Grayman

I liked your review style Karak. If you didn't say you were new to the character I would have thought you were tailoring your humor to it actually.

Does anyone know if there Is there a new game plus or level select?

Karak

I liked your review style Karak. If you didn't say you were new to the character I would have thought you were tailoring your humor to it actually.

Does anyone know if there Is there a new game plus or level select?

Thanks I appreciate that very much. I WISH I had known about Deadpool until this point. I have gone on a little stint as the video was encoding and am now seeing what I can find and thinking of getting some of the comic books. Anyone have suggestions for a newbie to Deadpool?

legbone

How does that preorder credit work, anyway? I preordered and haven't heard anything them from them about it since I initially did it. Got my codes for the covers and the wallpapers, but nothing else.

i'm not really sure. i think it said info would be emailed to you once it ships. i haven't had mine ship yet. i think it's only good on certain books though. i'm kind of confused about it myself.

Grayman

Thanks I appreciate that very much. I WISH I had known about Deadpool until this point. I have gone on a little stint as the video was encoding and am now seeing what I can find and thinking of getting some of the comic books. Anyone have suggestions for a newbie to Deadpool?
No problem. I don't read/watch a lot of reviews but I will subscribe to the youtube.

I read the 1997 series when I got comics as a kid but when I started poking around at comics again I really liked the Cable and Deadpool series. The character is always zany and talks to himself. The style of the game and having the yellow and white box as different personalities started with "Deadpool" in 2008 i think, the first collection would be "secret invasion" but it probably isn't the best in that series.

If you are thinking of reading a lot you may want to get the Marvel Comics digital unlimited subscription for like 50 bucks, if you read comics for a night or two it pays for itself compared to buying trade paperbacks. It is never fully up to date though and the series from the last year or two will have holes that you may have to wait to fill in.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Aw, man... you just missed a Comixology sale on the full Kelly run.

Karak

No problem. I don't read/watch a lot of reviews but I will subscribe to the youtube.

I read the 1997 series when I got comics as a kid but when I started poking around at comics again I really liked the Cable and Deadpool series. The character is always zany and talks to himself. The style of the game and having the yellow and white box as different personalities started with "Deadpool" in 2008 i think, the first collection would be "secret invasion" but it probably isn't the best in that series.

If you are thinking of reading a lot you may want to get the Marvel Comics digital unlimited subscription for like 50 bucks, if you read comics for a night or two it pays for itself compared to buying trade paperbacks. It is never fully up to date though and the series from the last year or two will have holes that you may have to wait to fill in.
And the digital sub would work with my android tablet? I have a Samsung 10.1

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
And the digital sub would work with my android tablet? I have a Samsung 10.1

Yeah. Download the app and look at samples.
Last I checked you couldn't read in full-screen (on Android), though.

Played the intro and an hour or so on the first level. Intro was awesome, hanging around his home, interacting with stuff... And also humour is cool, its fun. But the gameplay and the graphics has no polish at all. The game is okay imho but only for 10 bucks. Combat is very lame, graphics are bland. There are some customization to combat though. The only okay thing in this game is its intro from what i played.

Vee_One

Guys, this appears to have unlocked on Steam already (in Australia)
Just booted up and it's working, no messing about

Tizoc

Just checking but is there a trophy for beating the game on Hard mode? ...and does it have a 'New game+' like mode?

Ok peeps.

Very minor spoilers at the end. Well not spoilers as much as a couple cutscenes that give the impressions of spoilers..but they are not(hard to describe). I put a warning in the video when it gets to that part and I go in depth with many parts including a summary at the very end before the closing.

If you don't like my reviews I am copying what I think here.

Buy, wait for a sale, rent, or don't buy rating.

Buy or wait for a sale. That depends on if you are deeply against Deadpool as a total jokester which I see people here say. I am not and I do not regret the 50 bucks nor the tracking around town to find the fucking thing.

Pros:
Breaking of the 4th wall is spot on
Combat
Humor
Upgrades
Overall graphics
Story is great! It has been somewhat done before but its handled incredibly well
Voice Acting
Variety...seriously man so much going on. Every single level has some delightful little extra I would have never expected.

Cons:
Occasional frame dips that don't impact game-play
1 Special Ability(teleport) can cause issues in close environments.
Upgrades feel like they could become redundant but don't. They just feel like they could.
Platforming sections occasionally cause trouble

Summary: I didn't know a thing about Deadpool and now I want to know more. I was consistently impressed and at times inspired by both the handling of the humor and the mix of a pretty good combat engine as well as some amazing animations(especially in cut-scenes but really everywhere).

At the end of my video I break down my summary and why I feel that games like this and Injustice Gods Among us are so vital for me as a gamer as they introduce me to comic book hero's I would never really see or read about and they perk my interest.

I had a fucking blast. Full stop.

Can't believe I missed this earlier. Great review. Friday can't come soon enough.

Kyonashi

Well the obvious question is: How's the gameplay and what does it resemble? DMC, GoW, Space Marine?

Out of those three, I'd say DMC the most, GoW the least. It felt quite a bit like Lollipop Chainsaw to me actually.

Is it fun and unique?

The gameplay isn't massively unique no, but I felt there was enough Deadpool charm about it that it piqued my interest.

1) Are the the multiple meele weapons, (Sais, Katanas, Hammers) able to be switched in real-time?

2) what difficulty did you play on?
Can you chain Meele > Teleport> Guns> Meele and keep your combo meter going?

3) Can deadpool follow enemies into the air after launching them? does he have any air combos?

4) Can deadpool perfom anything like The twosome time suggested in the reveal trailer?

5) Do the graphics look like a late ps2/early 360 game in person?

6) How responsive is the game generally?

1) I was restrained to the first level, so katanas only Unable to answer this, sorry.

2) Normal, we weren't given a choice. Yes, I believe you could.

3) Yeah I think you could jump and slash about with the Katanas. Deadpool has a pretty high jump.

4) There was an upgrade tree that you spent Deadpool medals to get new moves, this could easily have been one of them, but it was not unlocked in the demo.

5) I would say mid-360 game. Not amazing, but not noticeably poor either.

6) I think the jumps and movement felt a little over the top, so I often found myself moving a little more than necessary, but all in all that just kinda made it feel more arcade-y.

Basically, don't expect anything phenomenal, but don't expect it to be bad. The writing was actually pretty funny too. The phone conversation with Nolan North (talking to himself basically) actually made me chuckle out loud.

Combat looks BORING. Seriously, I'm interested in this game.... but the combat looks like a freakin chore. I mean, the animations look generic as shit... There's nothing original about it. Couldn't they have played games like DMC or Bayonetta

The Humor and 4th wall breaking ideas behind the game are fine... THe actual gameplay does not.

Please help me see this game in another light.

Ok peeps.

Great review, that pool scene was great. That gameplay variety reminds me of Alice Madness Returns, weirdly enough! Nice to know the combat feels good. Might get the PC version to avoid the framerate issues and slightly muddy graphics (or maybe that's just youtube video quality). Made a gif of that amazing sneak animation:
ibw45DAv7bwwEs.gif

I feel like I am missing out on a whole lot of fun by not knowing who Deadpool was until I heard there's a game coming out for it in a few days.

gabbre

From Gamefly UK

This title is available for purchase in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, Angola, Albania, Andorra, United Arab Emirates, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Burundi, Benin, Burkina Faso, Bahrain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belarus, Bouvet Island, Botswana, Central African Republic, Switzerland, Côte D'Ivoire, Cameroon, Congo, The Democratic Republic of the, Congo, Comoros, Cape Verde, Djibouti, Algeria, Egypt, Eritrea, Western Sahara, Ethiopia, Faroe Islands, Gabon, Georgia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Guinea, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Greenland, Croatia, British Indian Ocean Territory, Iran, Islamic Republic of, Iraq, Iceland, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Liberia, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Liechtenstein, Lesotho, Morocco, Monaco, Moldova, Republic of, Madagascar, Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Rebublic of, Mali, Mozambique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Malawi, Mayotte, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Palestinian Territory, Occupied, Qatar, Réunion, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Sierra Leone, San Marino, Somalia, Serbia, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Seychelles, Chad, Togo, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Tanzania, United Republic of, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Holy See (Vatican City State), Yemen, South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

Unfortunately the coupon doesn't work, the game costs £29.99

Tizoc

From Gamefly UK

This title is available for purchase in Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, Angola, Albania, Andorra, United Arab Emirates, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Burundi, Benin, Burkina Faso, Bahrain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belarus, Bouvet Island, Botswana, Central African Republic, Switzerland, Côte D'Ivoire, Cameroon, Congo, The Democratic Republic of the, Congo, Comoros, Cape Verde, Djibouti, Algeria, Egypt, Eritrea, Western Sahara, Ethiopia, Faroe Islands, Gabon, Georgia, Ghana, Gibraltar, Guinea, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Equatorial Guinea, Greenland, Croatia, British Indian Ocean Territory, Iran, Islamic Republic of, Iraq, Iceland, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Liberia, Libyan Arab Jamahiriya, Liechtenstein, Lesotho, Morocco, Monaco, Moldova, Republic of, Madagascar, Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Rebublic of, Mali, Mozambique, Mauritania, Mauritius, Malawi, Mayotte, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Norway, Oman, Palestinian Territory, Occupied, Qatar, Réunion, Rwanda, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Sierra Leone, San Marino, Somalia, Serbia, Sao Tome and Principe, Swaziland, Seychelles, Chad, Togo, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Tanzania, United Republic of, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Holy See (Vatican City State), Yemen, South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

Unfortunately the coupon doesn't work, the game costs £29.99

Gah that's $47 XO Thanks for the info tho.

Top Bottom