• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear Esther |OT|

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you guys like this, I would recommend The Worry of Newport for Crysis. It's sort of similar although it's a bit more lovecraftian in it's themes. The gameplay is similar.

I actually thought it was better done than Dear Esther

While I enjoyed it, that mod was pretty rough around the edges.

Zomba13

Well... with everyone praising it I'm gonna get it tomorrow. I'll also record my play-through and commentary for my site.

KingK

I've never heard of this before, but I'm interested (that trailer is phenomenal). It kind of reminds me of Myst just by looking at it.

Does anyone know how demanding the game is? I'm wondering if my laptop can run it. My processor and RAM should be fine, but I have a shitty Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset family graphics chip.

I can run Civ 5 somewhat decently on low settings, so would this game be more, or less demanding than that?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
by the way, my end theory is
He's still lying somewhere on the road, blacked out and injured from the car crash, while he dreams the game. The jump represents him finally dying, the transformation represents him not being able to (or something). Why? because the wave sounds at the end sound awfully like cars driving by. ha!

Might be totally wrong though.

Krilekk

Banned
Finished it. I liked it a lot, and don't regret paying full price. I enjoy exploring in games like Stalker and this let me do that without dealing with the mutants attacking me every five minutes.
My one minor complaint which also applies to all other Source engine games is that walking felt far too floaty, as if I was just a ghostly figure passing through and not really interacting with the landscape. Also not being able to step up to the smallest of rocks. I would have liked louder and more varied footsteps, and the sound of my breathing, especially in the caves. Minor but in a game that is all about immersion it took away from the experience.

I don't know, it would be strange to hear your breathing
in a game where you're supposed to have just died.

just completed it.

i have no idea what happened.

but it was pretty much beautiful the entire time.

Kind of my experience with it too. I actually came into this completely cold, didn't know any history about it. It was really enjoyable but at the same time I can't help but feel like there could've been more. Ran through it in 61 minutes. I enjoyed what was there but I guess I'd just like to see more.

Sibylus

Banned
Played the mod a few years ago, just finished this.

- The graphics and sound were so engrossing that I missed things at times, such as the
ghosts, I never even realized they were there!

- What is a paper boat? A boat without a bottom, and the physical surrogate of a heart lacking one as well.

- Coming from the mod, the change from the mere hull and headlights of a car in the cave to a fully-realized submerged highway is a revelation. That moment already had poignancy, but this just engages all the senses. I got chills swimming past those shattered and empty cars, it was like passing through a dream.

- "I’ve begun my voyage in a paper boat without a bottom; I will fly to the moon in it. I have been folded along a crease in time, a weakness in the sheet of life. Now, you’ve settled on the opposite side of the paper to me; I can see your traces in the ink that soaks through the fibre, the pulped vegetation. When we become waterlogged, and the cage disintegrates, we will intermingle. When this paper aeroplane leaves the cliff edge, and carves parallel vapour trails in the dark, we will come together."
- On dying, death, and being reunited.

- The vistas, my god, the vistas. I lost count of how many times I got goosebumps looking down from the cliffside, hearing the wind and the last words of a man at his end.

- I had a theory about the game. Had. I'm not sure anymore, about if the narrator and Donnelly are different people, about if Jacobson was even the culprit of the crash at all. Is the island a figment, or is it all too real? Is every alcove a shrine in truth to Esther and not just of mind, graced with stolen medical equipment and other mementos? Or is it like I wondered before, both a place real and unreal, remembered and hallucinated by a man in his death throes? Regardless of what (if anything) is concrete, remembrance seems to be key. Each voyageur is remembered in turn by those who come after, and the narrator alludes to you yourself, your act of remembrance as you ascend to the aerial.

- I'm surprised at how it all came flooding back, played this in 2009 and so much of it stayed with me. I don't expect I'll be able to forget it.

- Spent 2.1 hours on the first playthrough, smelling roses and whatnot. Judging by the other dialogue snippets shared in this thread, I'm going to need more playthroughs to get a broader impression of the story (a playthrough of the mod and this still isn't enough to get everything, it would seem).

- I will fly.

Tilian

Banned
Just finished. One of the best 60-90 mins I've spent in gaming this past year. Like all great artistic, narrative experiences, I'm going to let it breathe a while, and return in a few days for a revisit. This was wonderful.

Inkwell

Banned
I've played through twice, and there's something I haven't seen that people are talking about.

At the highway section, there was a gurney with an IV stand and a car door on the ground. No cars though. My second time through I saw the same thing, but I don't remember the car door, and there were what looked like coins all over the gurney.

The basic imagery is there for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure what those subtle changes mean. There were a few other changes I noticed (as I said a few posts back). It would be neat if we could make a list of some of the other things that change. I'll list a couple more:

At the section with all those tall rocks just before the first map transition there's a book on the ground. My first time through it was a chemistry book. My second time through it was a bible

The items on the table were different in the house on the hill. I went to re-examine the ultrasound image only to find a book in its place. The ultrasound image was still on the table, but in a different position. The book looked to be an anthropological/sociological about the island. I presume this is Donnely's book

Going to pick this up tonight I think...played the mod; was going to skip due to the whole value thing, but right now I find myself pretty excited about it.

SmZA

I don't know, it would be strange to hear your breathing
in a game where you're supposed to have just died.
Yeah, maybe that was intentional. I didn't get nearly the same meaning out of the game as others here have. I did wonder how
my guy was walking along happily when he'd broken his leg
. So I'll be playing through it again I reckon.
In fact I already reloaded a couple of chapters just to experience them again. I think this is a game I will fire up randomly from time to time just like when I drive around Liberty City late at night when I can't sleep.

At the highway section, there was a gurney with an IV stand and a car door on the ground. No cars though. My second time through I saw the same thing, but I don't remember the car door, and there were what looked like coins all over the gurney.

Is that in one of the caves? I saw
a car door, and other car parts, but no gurney, and when I stood over the parts I heard a subtle sound of what I thought was metal being dragged. I went through this part twice and heard the same thing again.

Going to pick this up tonight I think...played the mod; was going to skip due to the whole value thing, but right now I find myself pretty excited about it.
Honestly, if anyone is even thinking of a 'value' equation for this game they should just not buy it. Wait for a sale or for it to go on Humble Bundle. I was happy to pay the $10 because I had the money and I want to support developers who make experimental games like this. As someone who mostly loved Braid, but can't stand threads about Braid, I'm dreading the inevitable backlash on this game. Not that you shouldn't buy it; if you played the mod you know what to expect.

I've played through twice, and there's something I haven't seen that people are talking about.

The basic imagery is there for obvious reasons, but I'm not sure what those subtle changes mean. There were a few other changes I noticed (as I said a few posts back). It would be neat if we could make a list of some of the other things that change. I'll list a couple more:

At the section with all those tall rocks just before the first map transition there's a book on the ground. My first time through it was a chemistry book. My second time through it was a bible

The items on the table were different in the house on the hill. I went to re-examine the ultrasound image only to find a book in its place. The ultrasound image was still on the table, but in a different position. The book looked to be an anthropological/sociological about the island. I presume this is Donnely's book

Half way through my second playthrough and I noticed some of these things as well.

http://www.abload.de/img/2012-02-15_00001eg1r0.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/2012-02-15_00003bj60i.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/esther00063m00p.jpg

Also, he mentions that
the person who died he had them cremated. And their ashes were put into the paint that he uses throughout the island

Oh, and
I also noticed a paper boat flowing through that stream under the bridge in the cavern. Followed it to the end and there were a bunch of them stuck where the stream exits. Not sure if it was there first time.

The game is absolutely astonishing. It's so deep; and art design is so beautiful and common at the same time. I lack knowledge of language to describe all the specter of emotions I have at this very moment.

Judging by the posts of the others at this thread, "game" generates some new details every time you play it, due to the fact that I'm absolutely sure in my playthrough narrator didn't say anything like about
cremated person

kanugo

Discussing the story is almost as fun as playing the game. You guys are awesome, I'm learning alot about little details that I missed.

Dan Pinchbeck should join this discussion.

sam27368

Banned
a quick pana I knocked up

untitled_panorama1rjk2d.png

Echoes

It took me 65 minutes. I really don't understand anything. The experience is surreal and hard to put into words, despite me not understanding anything.

I love experimental games; Passage is a favorite of mine. I'll just wait for everyone to discuss the game and I'll read the analysis and all. I'll play it again now; the writing is amazing, the sound is hauntingly beautiful, and the visuals are pleasing. I probably won't recommend it to anyone I know (for obvious reasons), but I sure as hell appreciate it.

red731

Amazing experience, I caught something in the eye in the end...

I was walking and looking everywhere I could on my first playthrough which took 84 minutes. I havent seen such beautiful imaginery in long time. I will crank up the AA and AF from the default 4x/4x next time I will play.

I dont know if it was just me, but at the games end, it bugged on me - no credits or anything, I had to press escape and exit, but I dont know if that was everything.

Did anyone noticed
the person standing next to the candle when you looked up from the candelit shore, after seeing the defibrilator and bloody medical tools in the cave on the right? I even swear that I've seen the shadowy person on the left side when we've first got to the rocks in first chapter.

kanugo

It took me 65 minutes. I really don't understand anything. The experience is surreal and hard to put into words, despite me not understanding anything.

I love experimental games; Passage is a favorite of mine. I'll just wait for everyone to discuss the game and I'll read the analysis and all. I'll play it again now; the writing is amazing, the sound is hauntingly beautiful, and the visuals are pleasing. I probably won't recommend it to anyone I know (for obvious reasons), but I sure as hell appreciate it.

Are you talking about this game -- Passage?

Vard

This sounds like my kind of game... Will have to make a note of it so I remember to check it out when I eventually get a better PC.

Echoes

Are you talking about this game -- Passage?

Yes!

You can finish it in 5 minutes, but it had a huge impact on me; I absolutely love the metaphors in it, and it's just heart-breaking... to me, at least, as a friend of mine didn't like the approach ("If I want this type thing, I can experience it better in a book or a movie").

I guess being invested in the character or world really adds a lot compared to other mediums, even if the events are semi-scripted.

kanugo

Yes!

You can finish it in 5 minutes, but it had a huge impact on me; I absolutely love the metaphors in it, and it's just heart-breaking... to me, at least, as a friend of mine didn't like the approach ("If I want this type thing, I can experience it better in a book or a movie").

I guess being invested in the character or world really adds a lot compared to other mediums, even if the events are semi-scripted.

Thanks. I'll give it a go. Watched a video on YouTube and it seems interesting.

dLMN8R

What's most interesting to me is how those sales numbers map to concurrent players. 16,000+ people bought it in under 6 hours, but only 1000-2000 were playing concurrently yesterday.

That's not a judgment on the quality or length of the game IMO rather it says a lot about what concurrent numbers mean, and how they tend to map to sales numbers for other games too. Interesting!!

The game is absolutely astonishing. It's so deep; and art design is so beautiful and common at the same time. I lack knowledge of language to describe all the specter of emotions I have at this very moment.

Judging by the posts of the others at this thread, "game" generates some new details every time you play it, due to the fact that I'm absolutely sure in my playthrough narrator didn't say anything like about
cremated person

i haven't seen anyone mention the
urn of ashes
. i found it on the north shore (last part of the game) and almost missed it because from a distance it could've been a rock. when you approach it and look at it, a moment later
the wind picks up violently and blows the ashes away
. i'm not sure of the real significance as during my 1st playthrough the narrator didn't mention anything about
cremation or ashes

also, on the final climb before the final house/hut/overlook thing, did anyone else get a passage from him about
donnelly finally succumbing to the syphilis and having his vision affected? something else about the island being him and he being the island. during this part the game became pointedly saturated with color for a short distance before returning to it's normal color values as i approached the house. great touch.

Just got and finished the game, took me around one hour forty all together
While it's pretty short it's very engrossing
The music and design is very nice, and the visuals are very impressive

The story is intriguing, the game gives you a basic sense of what has happened and then you can line the dots up yourself. I imagine there's a lot of little things to discover and notice each time you play. I saw
a shadowy figure in the bay where the boats were, walking along the left side of the cliff - and again near the end, at the top of cliff looking at the moon.
Also heard
mumbled/frantic voices talking, in what I took to be consciousness seeping back only to slip away again

I wouldn't give it a rating, as it's more 'experience' than game, but well worth the price

mileS

Was going to wait for a sale (yes i've turned into one of those people now :/ ) but all these impressions have convinced me to just buy it now and support.

jett

D-Member
Man this was really short, like less than an hour long. Pretty and kind of intriguing, but I didn't get much out of the narrative.

About the Island, I still don't understand why
the narrator is on an island in the outer Hebrides. He keeps going on about a car crash on the M5, somewhere near Portishead, which is miles away from there. At this point I'm assuming that the island is literal rather than figurative, so I don't get why the narrator ended up there. To illustrate what I mean:

http://h9.abload.de/img/islandg3aul.jpg

Yeah... you're in Scotland?! And I forgot to say how amazing the soundtrack is! Absolutely incredible.

In my playthrough, he talks about
stealing a book from Edinburgh library, which described the island, and the inhabitants in the past (like the shepard Jakobson.) Maybe the narrator, who I took to being killed in the crash also, was reading the book during the accident, and the island and whatnot described in the book was mixed into his consciousness as it slipped away?
There's also visual clues that highlight
the slip into and out of consciousness, like the aerial itself, the motorway bridge in the sky, the flashes of traffic signals etc when you drown and the car wreckage - they mix into the descriptions of the land and the folklore of this place he was reading about
My playthrough also made it pretty clear it was
the man named Paul who was responsible for the crash. 'you have been made opaque by the car of a drunk' That the narrator wasn't seeking an apology from Paul, because Paul, 'like us, he had already passed beyond any conceivable boundary of life' or as I took it, died in the crash. Paul and the narrator are the same person, it's quite ambiguous - he describes drinking coffee in Paul's kitchen yet in the same sentence calls it his own Damascus, implying it's where he lived
That's some of what I made of the story anyway, there's also a link between
Donnelly and the narrator. Donnelly wrote the book he stole so is this a third persona he has fabricated as he dies? The three seem to connect together, perhaps different parts of consciousness wrestling as he dies. Early on he describes, 'that point where the hermit (as described by Connelly) ends and Paul and I begin' as increasingly difficult to find, 'we are woven into a sodden blanket...in a vacuum of fatalistic calm'
Anyway, those are some random thoughts, make of it what you will

Man this was really short, like less than an hour long. Pretty and kind of intriguing, but I didn't get much out of the narrative.

Play it again, some of the writing and events are random, did you see
the submerged highway with the cars on the road
?

eXistor

Just finished it, holy crap, such atmosphere! No idea what it was about (I'm always too dense to figure this stuff out) but it sure left an impression. Definitely gonna be playing through this again soon.

CoolS

Good god, I still have goosebumbs even though I finished 30 minutes ago. Really amazing experience.

One question did anyone else see
a strange person with yellow glowing eyes wearing a frock on the top at the radio station? It was behind the fences on one edge right after you reached the top at the end. I'm still really creeped out by that.

Just played through Dear Esther without really knowing much about it.

Easily one of the best looking games ever. I loved the atmosphere.

When it ended I did have tears in my eyes. One of the very few games (well this isn't a game but lets just say it is in this sentence) where this has happened.

mileS

Has anyone here been to Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, or parts of New Brunswick in Canada? I swear some parts of the game remind me soooo much of Newfoundland its eerie.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
One of the very few games (well this isn't a game but lets just say it is in this sentence) where this has happened.

Why isn't it a game? Because you don't shoot people? Because you're going a laid-out path? Because it's just one hour long? I've seen all of that in other games :)

I still think it's a game, it's just so different from most other games, but that doesn't really make it less of a game. Oh well, just my opinion I guess ^^

eldoon

This game is absolutely brilliant
i love doing cliff dives and drowning
first play through i rushed and did it in around an hour
will def replay again
If you liked graveyard or the path this game is brilliant .

etiolate

Banned
I didn't run across a
submerged highway.
Is it a random event?

I had to play through most of the game twice due to Windows update restarting me during my first run. This allowed me to see some different items appear and hear differentnarrations. My first playthrough, there was no items at the rock formation, but on the second there was a bible and a chemistry book.

Anyone else see the
golden rectangle in the sand?
I can't place its relevance to the other information provided.

As for the player/character:
It would be unlikely for it to be the narrator, unless it was the ghost there of. Since it's Dear Esther and that's how the voice first addresses, I considered the idea that you were playing as Esther. All the stuff about Paul's road to damascus implies someone looking to persecute or someone in a fall from grace who is turned and saved. The ending is a Divine Grace moment itself. Esther as an angry ghost finding whats been discovered about her death and letting go of blame could be such a moment. But another person touched by the crash could be as well. It just feels like the narrator is Esther's husband and the narrator is not the player's character.

As for the player/character:
It would be unlikely for it to be the narrator, unless it was the ghost there of. Since it's Dear Esther and that's how the voice first addresses, I considered the idea that you were playing as Esther. All the stuff about Paul's road to damascus implies someone looking to persecute or someone in a fall from grace who is turned and saved. The ending is a Divine Grace moment itself. Esther as an angry ghost finding whats been discovered about her death and letting go of blame could be such a moment. But another person touched by the crash could be as well. It just feels like the narrator is Esther's husband and the narrator is not the player's character.

Not sure why you'd think that'd be unlikely, all things considered. The stuff you touch on about the fall from grace and the road to Damascus I agree with, but the whole thing plays out more like an internal monologue, the narration is Paul's inner thoughts as he comes to terms with what happened, while wandering this 'island' which is scattered with mementos surrounding the incident. I see it all as a creation of his mind as he comes to terms with what he has done, and ultimately is granted freedom from the guilt

KingK

I asked this earlier, but I never got a reply. I'm wondering if my laptop can run this game. My processor and RAM are fine, but my graphics chip is a shitty Mobile Intel 4 series express chipset family.

I can run Civ 5 somewhat decently on low settings, so would this game be more, or less demanding than that?

Top Bottom