• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

cormack12

Gold Member
The mixed reception actually makes me more interested in the game. I was planning on waiting for the recently announced PC version, but I might just be there Day 1.

I sort of feel the same but don't know it's FOMO kicking in. Ironically I'm just back from a 4 day break in the hills, which was about map reading, contouring, pacing distance, taking bearings etc. It's a good skill and you do have to pick your path down a craggy face carefully. Slippy rocks in watercourses do make you go round whereas in games you'd just hoof it through. The concept is interesting, I just don't know if I'd like it in a game rather than just doing it. Think I'm gonna wait ultimately because when I take a chance I usually get burned :/

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
This is a terrible take, reviewers are saying the game is an encumbrance simulator where you do nothing but fetch quests. It looks stunning, but it's largely boring if the reviews are even remotely accurate. Defending the game as some unbelievable avant-garde piece of fine art that people just don't get is exactly why Kojima gets perhaps unfairly mocked.
But you didn't even listen to the reviews then.....

The first time you head out the terrain and land is merciless and you can keep on tackling it that way over and over OR you can build and use the social system to make things way easier and more enjoyable.

You can build bridges, shelters, leave ladders, motorcycles and transform the terrain much like minecraft in a way and this helps others too.

In an industry dominated by games where you murder npc's over and over again it is fitting to call it radical or 'avant-garde'.
'Action' in gaming can almost always be interpreted as violently dispatching enemies and it was about time someone made a AAA game that had a different message.

One of the hardest tests in the british army is called 'selection', making your way across pen y fan in Wales, mountainous terrain where you are just given coordinates and you have to get to those points as fast as possible. Nobody pushes you, nobody says 'it's just a little more, you are on your own..... it is a mental challenge, only incredible will-power can overcome the test.

Gaming is dominated by cheap thrills (DMC, Bayonetta, Mario Kart, Overwatch, Fortnite) and I applaud how Kojima has glorified more simple accomplishments and created a game around them instead of resorting to the tropes of gaming.

I also love the way it makes fun of gaming in a way, the inventory system and how he carries all the packages is obviously poking fun at games characters carrying 100 weapons in their pockets.

Anyway both of us still have to play the game and I simply like what I have seen, if you don't... that's all good but I don't understand why you and many others are dunking on it. When a game tries to do something different, you get all this hate? SO you just want the same old games every year?

Nymphae

Banned
I'll wait for a deep sale then give it a shot.

Same I've always been very curious about this title, but I'll get it once it's discounted or on PS+ to see what all the fuss was about, definitely sounds like there's good potential for me to end up really disliking it.

In an industry dominated by games where you murder npc's over and over again it is fitting to call it radical or 'avant-garde'.
'Action' in gaming can almost always be interpreted as violently dispatching enemies and it was about time someone made a AAA game that had a different message

Is there not TPS corridor shooting in this game? I could swear I saw that in a trailer, looked like there was cover and everything.

GooseMan69

Lmao at people who get legitimately irritated when people enjoy a video game that they don’t. Like the guy above me.

RDR2 didnt have many, if any, bad reviews though, it was universally loved overall. That doesnt mean every player will think the same.
Point is how can a game get a load of 6/10 level reviews, then get a load of perfect 10/10 reviews?. There is obviously problems with the game, major problems.
And Kojima fanboyism spreads far and wide, many reviewers will be Kojima fanboys themselves, and many are simply scared of the backlash from KWO, Kojima himself (in terms of eclusives, interviews, etc).
Your arguments contradict each other, you do know that right?

Kabelly

Yup, this is the worst case of this that I've seen in a long time. At least since I can remember. It's like I have two paths to take or be labeled as when I complete the game. One is, "SEE I TOLD YOU THE GAME IS SHIT!" while the other is "YOU'RE A MINDLESS KOJIMA FANBOY!"

Awesome, lmao.

This game could be EXACTLY this and not Kojima, and I'd be in the exact same spot I'm in now. But you know, whatever, lol. 🤷‍♂️
Save for the fact that none of us have actually played the game. I was always going into this with an open mind and if I don't like it I think I'll survive another day.

Come on Miyazaki. What was that recent Sony game that got mixed reviews, but got 100/100 in 'Playstation Universe'? lol. We know this shit happens for various reasons.
MediEvil, i think that was it.
Listen, if Halo Infinite got the same reviews as Death Stranding, I would never say the things you're saying.

It's utter bollocks and expected better from you. This is as bad as Sony fanboys trashing Xbox exclusives for their reviews (e.g. gears of war 5).

mortal

Banned
Take out the fake, and downright ludicrous, 100/100 and 10/10 reviws, what would the overall score be then?
Why are you dismissing their opinions as valid? So you'll only accept some opinions if they suit your opinion of what reviews should reflect, but dismiss other reviews if they're too positive?
It's not like they're even the majority of scores. Most scores are ranging between 80%-90%, with a few going lower than that and a few going higher.

Bryank75

Banned
Same I've always been very curious about this title, but I'll get it once it's discounted or on PS+ to see what all the fuss was about, definitely sounds like there's good potential for me to end up really disliking it.

Is there not TPS corridor shooting in this game? I could swear I saw that in a trailer, looked like there was cover and everything.
I think there is a small part of the game where you will not be punished for killing but during most of the game it is very.... ill advised. From what I hear.

Vawn

Banned
You have a clear objective in most essays and if you get a 100 you succeeded on all fronts and provided the necessary arguments to back it up. There is no set objective of a game, so in that sense I guess you point is valid. Reviewers will come up with one and ask if it meets it's objective.

Fair point. It's all subjective and relative to different things like the times we're in and expectations set forth by each player individually. Personally, I'm just annoyed at reading the reviews that sound like they're about to justify a 70, then throw a 100 on the board. Seems disingenuous.

Well, go read Breath of the Wild reviews. It's hard to describe that game without listing a ton of flaws, yet almost everyone gave it a 10/10.

Stuart360

Why are you dismissing their opinions as valid? So you'll only accept some opinions if they suit your opinion of what reviews should reflect, but dismiss other reviews if they're too positive?
It's not like they're even the majority of scores. Most scores are ranging between 80%-90%, with a few going lower than that and a few going higher.
Because its not like 90% of the reviews are 9's or 10's, with 2 or 3 low scores from Edgy sites looking for hits. The game has a load of lower review scores, its very mixed in numbers.

Defined this era?
tenor.gif

Pretty damn sure Breath of the Wild does just that. But I get that isn't something you'd admit to if you're trying to justify Post-Absurdist Apocalypse Delivery Man the Game Death Stranding.

Bryank75

Banned
Just like the 10/10 and 100/100 scores because those people worship him.
Keep it up KWO. Fact is the game has mixed reviews, that doesnt happen with a 'perfect' game, that some of the ridiculous reviews suggest it is.
What about the 10/10's that R* got that were not deserved?
RDR2 had terrible pacing and controls but that was completely overlooked, seems like they get oven more reverence than Kojima.

Stuart360

Listen, if Halo Infinite got the same reviews as Death Stranding, I would never say the things you're saying.

It's utter bollocks and expected better from you. This is as bad as Sony fanboys trashing Xbox exclusives for their reviews (e.g. gears of war 5).
Fair enough. I'm just honestly shocked it didnt get 9's and 10's accross the board. I just expected that regardless of the games quality.

DeeDogg_

Banned
Expect Death Stranding to be the pleb barrier for this generation, and future generations to come. "oh...you don't like 2001: A Space Odyssey?" "oh...so you didn't get Death Stranding..."
My IQ isnt high enough to interpret Kojima's genius. I am but a normie

Last edited:
Actually it's pretty accurate.

Not everything has to be enjoyable for everyone and that's especially true for media that is not created as a result of rigorous market research and focus group testing.

To say that some people don't get "it" isn't necessarily an insult, it's just the way it is.

I didn't "get" RDR2 and never will. However I can't sit there and say it's a bad game with a straight face - it's not. It's very well made and I can see what it's trying to do, I just don't like it. They shouldn't change it just for me, that would be wrong. Similarly some people don't "get" other popular/highly rated games like Nier, Dark Souls, etc.

The biggest issue is that most people in gaming circles lack the maturity to have proper discussions about this sort of thing without getting offended or upset when they encounter a game that they don't "get". It's like they take offense to it, as if it's an insult to their intellect or "gaming cred". The reality is that it's neither of those things and it's just a simple way of saying your tastes aren't aligned to this videogame so you won't like it.

Thing is, the idea behind an aggregate score isn't to instill how perfect the game is, it's to establish some kind of consensus. If you have a game that averages 95, it means that more people really enjoyed the experience. Make it a 75, it means it wasn't that unanimously enjoyable, but in the middle of that 75 there's probably people who enjoyed it more than the 95 game. A higher score doesn't mean a better game, it means more people enjoyed it and therefore the odds you're going to enjoy it too are theoretically higher. Not "getting" something is included in that process.

The game looks flawed. It looked flawed from day one. I'm going to play it eventually, might enjoy it. Nothing about these reviews have changed how I look at it. What I do take issue with is the idea that there's some obscure reason for it not being scored like God of War. Yes there is a reason, but it's a clear one: not as many people liked it.

Gaming is dominated by cheap thrills (DMC, Bayonetta, Mario Kart, Overwatch, Fortnite) and I applaud how Kojima has glorified more simple accomplishments and created a game around them instead of resorting to the tropes of gaming.

I also love the way it makes fun of gaming in a way, the inventory system and how he carries all the packages is obviously poking fun at games characters carrying 100 weapons in their pockets.

Anyway both of us still have to play the game and I simply like what I have seen, if you don't... that's all good but I don't understand why you and many others are dunking on it. When a game tries to do something different, you get all this hate? SO you just want the same old games every year?

Calling DMC and Bayonetta cheap thrills is irksome and even kind of ignorant, but I'm going to let it slide. About your final point, I'm not dunking on the game. I'm calling like it is, a good game, just not a transformative one. Not because the critics don't get it, not because gamers don't get it, not because I don't get it, but because there's no "it" to get in the first place. I take issue with the idea that it's so radically different that's why it's not being lauded when it's probably the opposite, it's getting good reviews because it's a fresh experience.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I'm just honestly shocked it didnt get 9's and 10's accross the board. I just expected that regardless of the games quality.
I'm as shocked as you are with the review scores, but what grind my gears is IGN putting out a blatant clickbait review score to generate site clicks/revenue. Stevivio is a fucking disgrace to gaming journalism and the 7/10 scores are harsh, but understandable.

GHG

Gold Member
RDR2 didnt have many, if any, bad reviews though, it was universally loved overall. That doesnt mean every player will think the same.
Point is how can a game get a load of 6/10 level reviews, then get a load of perfect 10/10 reviews?. There is obviously problems with the game, major problems.
And Kojima fanboyism spreads far and wide, many reviewers will be Kojima fanboys themselves, and many are simply scared of the backlash from KWO, Kojima himself (in terms of eclusives, interviews, etc).

A load of 6/10 reviews?

Let's take a look... :

img_20191101_214433v3jpo.png

Of those mixed reviews 7 are 7/10, 1 is 6.8/10, and 3 are actually 6/10.

So... What are you talking about?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Review scores are just someone's opinion.. its subjective and everyone's mileage will vary.. I mean yeah it's okay be salty or joke around but fuck some of you guys are over doing it.
How about try the game yourself and who knows you might actually like it?

Exactly this. Most official reviews are not worth more to me than a random forum post--sometimes less, actually.

Days Gone is one of my favorite games of the year for example, and it got heavily mixed reviews with some sites really panning it hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuart360

I said 6/10 ;level reviews, which a 7 is just about. We all know what 6's and 7's mean in todays messed up review score rating system.

Terce

Honestly I'll probably check it out on sale at some point in the future. I could use a good walking simulator and the gameplay looks right up my ally, however the talk of extremely long cutscenes is very off-putting and not something I've ever enjoyed.

I look forward to the user reviews and watching a few streamers try it out to see how bad the encumbrance system is to deal with. If it's a walking simulator then I want to do some good walking, not constant inventory management

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I said 6/10 ;level reviews, which a 7 is just about. We all know what 6's and 7's mean in todays messed up review score rating system.

That doesn't make any sense... a 7 is not a 6/10 level review. It's a 7/10 level review.

Stuart360

By the way, you see the backlash against me right now?, now you see what i mean about some reviewers being scared to post a bad review.
As someone who used to watch a lot of DSP (for his hilarious rage and fails), i know how obsessed and unhinged from reality some Kojima fans can be.

MiguelItUp

Exactly this. Most official reviews are not worth more to me than a random forum post--sometimes less, actually.
Exactly! Honestly it's pretty crazy to me how much people will let a review score dictate on if they play a game or not. To each their own of course, it's just wild to me.

Much like movies and shows, if I enjoyed it, sometimes that's all that matters. But different movies and shows hit different ways and it's to be expected. I don't bother with their reviews either, but I do take a gander out of curiosity. But it's nothing more than that. With music, I don't even bother because its SO opinionated and understandbly so, lmao.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
By the way, you see the backlash against me right now?, now you see what i mean about some reviewers being scared to post a bad review.
As someone who used to watch a lot of DSP (for his hilarious rage and fails), i know how obsessed and unhinged from reality some Kojima fans can be.

You choose to use the word "backlash" as if to characterize the responses you're getting as unfair, but people are just responding to your factually incorrect statements and strange accusations of fanboyism.

Stuart360

You choose to use the word "backlash" as if to characterize the responses you're getting as unfair, but people are just responding to your factually incorrect statements and strange accusations of fanboyism.
Well i give you the 6, i should of put 7, but what else have a said thats FACTUALLY wrong?

Saber

So now that this is done, GOTY is Sekiro right?

Probably Call of Duty. I mean, hardass action, shooting, drama, russians and all the murica you can get.

Review scores are just someone's opinion.. its subjective and everyone's mileage will vary.. I mean yeah it's okay be salty or joke around but fuck some of you guys are over doing it.
How about try the game yourself and who knows you might actually like it?

Not really. These are workers and they represent the place where they work. If a name called PIZZA gave the game 5, its not "one person review". Its the representative score of PIZZA. Its not "subjective" either. Subjective would be me or you since we're just passionate players and aren't payed to do a proper "work" review of a game. I do agree that one shouldn't consider reviews as solid proof but just as a main reason to know the "why" those scores, do a research about it.

If the game is not his/her cup of tea, then another review who is used to that kind of game should review the game.

Last edited:

FranXico

Just like the 10/10 and 100/100 scores because those people worship him.
Keep it up KWO. Fact is the game has mixed reviews, that doesnt happen with a 'perfect' game, that some of the ridiculous reviews suggest it is.
Who said this game is perfect?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well i give you the 6, i should of put 7, but what else have a said thats FACTUALLY wrong?

That was it. Saying it had a load of 6s, when in fact it was 3 or 4 out of over 70 reviews. Even if you include 7s in the group, you're looking at 12 or so out of over 70 reviews. Maybe we have a different definition of what "loads of" means.

The numerous 10/10 and 100/100 scores?. A perfect score would suggest that.

I doubt most outlets giving scores would claim that 10/10 or a max score indicates that a game is perfect. It's just the highest praise they can give the game. It's not a score meant to imply perfection, which is obviously an impossible measure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuart360

I thought reviews didnt matter anyway guys?, you shouldnt be upset about all this. You lot can enjoy the artsy and profound masterpiece, while the deadites that dont 'get it' can go back to COD and Fortnite etc. Everyones happy then.

Top Bottom