• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

Raziel

Maybe now you guys have gotten taste of what it’s like to be an Xbox fan this gen.

Enjoy it. Well earned for the lot of you.

well, not exactly

img_20191101_214433v3jpo.png

Ac2Olma.jpg

DarkBatman

SBI’s Employee of the Year
Looks like a 6.5/10 game - but because it's Kojima, people are giving it a better score?

Posts like this really made me sad today.
Why do people like you do that? "It looks like a mediocre game, so all the positive review must be wrong?" Where's the logic in that?!

I understand how some people hated the hype, there were many "this will be the best game of all time" sayers, making this a constant horror trip for non-fans the last three years.
But acting like that is just a joke, not even worthy of a honest discussion.

For me it looks like a 9/10, but because it's Kojima, people are giving it a bad score, because they hate him and totally new and different gaming experiences... arguments like that make no sense and just hurt to even read.

DarkBatman

I'm sorry but if it takens even 10 hours for a game to "start getting good', thats just wasting the player's time in my opinion.

And it's your good right to think that, that's your opinion.
Sadly many forget about that, trying to demolish any positive reviews or thoughts about the game..

I watched the IGN review and it honestly seems to be the only 'mainstream' site that was properly critical of the main gameplay loop. He acknowledged all the positives while being critical of the negatives, and they appear to be numerous.

• Repetitive gameplay loop which is largely just fetch quests
  • Tedious micro-management gameplay mechanics such as constantly having to walk, climb, setup ropes, ladders, balance yourself while traversing the environment, tripping on things and losing your packages, having to retrieve them again when dropped
  • Via the multiplayer other players can troll you by building structures or setting up ladders which lead you up the face of mountains or cliffs to dead ends and nothing
  • Extremely convoluted inventory system
  • Poor fast traveling system that requires you to walk for 10+ minutes to reach a fast travel location, once there you have to skip 3 cutscenes each and every time you want to fast travel
  • The 70 main missions are the equivalent of what would be considered side quests in other games so lacking depth
  • The BT's merely function as a slowdown mechanic to buffer the game length and don't offer a real threat especially on the back of the asynchronous multiplayer which allows players to help in various ways
  • Multiple parts of the game deliberately stifle progress and slow it to a crawl
  • Not until 9-10 hours in do you get a real weapon of any kind and even on top of that there's only a handful of combat encounters

It's got a lot of problems, and the issue with all these high scores is they're completely masking over them.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Heh. Getting a real “Emperor’s New Clothes” vibe from this. I’ll wait for real people to get their hands on it.

That has been my 1st thought this game ever since the 1st reveal. Based on what's been described in many reviews, 84 Metacritic seems incredibly generous.

DarkBatman

[...]

It's got a lot of problems, and the issue with all these high scores is they're completely masking over them.

Why are you ignoring all the positive reviews that also go into depth, but keep focusing on that ONE negative mainstream review, stating this one is the only right and truthful one, while the others mask over problems.
And you haven't even played the game yourself?!

FranXico

I watched the IGN review and it honestly seems to be the only 'mainstream' site that was properly critical of the main gameplay loop. He acknowledged all the positives while being critical of the negatives, and they appear to be numerous.

• Tedious micro-management gameplay mechanics such as constantly having to walk, climb, setup ropes, ladders, balance yourself while traversing the environment, tripping on things and losing your packages, having to retrieve them again when dropped
  • Poor fast traveling system that requires you to walk for 10+ minutes to reach a fast travel location, once there you have to skip 3 cutscenes each and every time you want to fast travel
  • The 70 main missions are the equivalent of what would be considered side quests in other games so lacking depth
  • The BT's merely function as a slowdown mechanic to buffer the game length and don't offer a real threat especially on the back of the asynchronous multiplayer which allows players to help in various ways
  • Multiple parts of the game deliberately stifle progress and slow it to a crawl
  • Not until 9-10 hours in do you get a real weapon of any kind and even on top of that there's only a handful of combat encounters

Not true, most positive reviews mention those things, and even explain the purpose of those aspects in the game.

One example is the inventory system which is shown to be important to consider when preparing for a trip, instead of just calling it "convoluted".
From your list, it seems that IGN failed to mention that there is an important route planning component to the game play loop, instead choosing to complain about the "poor fast travel system". Guess what, the purpose of the game is to build that fast travel system across the map by establishing connections.

Last edited:
Why are you ignoring all the positive reviews that also go into depth, but keep focusing on that ONE negative mainstream review, stating this one is the only right and truthful one, while the others mask over problems.
And you haven't even played the game yourself?!
They go into depth on basically everything but the gameplay loop or the issues encountered therein, all these high scoring sites completely gloss over them. IGN did not.

How are people arguing the worthiness of review scores for a game they haven't played yet?

It seems stupid in a vacuum and ultimately it is. However given the budget and hype for this game, it's either a minor surprise or a slightly unwarranted validation to see it failing to hit the expected critical level. Fans are also damage controlling hard and it feeds the trolls or "trolls".

Last edited:

DarkBatman

They go into depth on basically everything but the gameplay loop or the issues encountered therein, all these high scoring sites completely gloss over them. IGN did not.

Please watch the Yong Yea review - one of the best in-depth looks into the game that addresses all those things mentioned by IGN and comes to a totally different conclusion.
Because that's how subjective reviews work.

bilderberg

• Via the multiplayer other players can troll you by building structures or setting up ladders which lead you up the face of mountains or cliffs to dead ends and nothing

Because most of that list seems purposeful and hardly representative of what can be construed as objectively flawed. What's the alternative to "tedious micro-management gameplay mechanics"? Just holding the stick forward and turning your brain off?

Because most of that list seems purposeful and hardly representative of what can be construed as objectively flawed. What's the alternative to "tedious micro-management gameplay mechanics"? Just holding the stick forward and turning your brain off?
Traversal can be made competent without making it a tedious slog. Having to catch yourself and balance when walking around or you'll trip and fall over the most simple of geometry, lose all of your packages and have to pick them up again one by one is stupid.

It turns simple environmental exploration and traversal which is basically all you do in this game into a micro-management realtime QTE.

GHG

Gold Member
What's the alternative to "tedious micro-management gameplay mechanics"? Just holding the stick forward and turning your brain off?

You're giving some of these people too much credit there.

A lot people who play games these days literally fast travel from objective marker to objective marker in order to complete the game and tick off an achievement checklist as soon as humanly possible.

When a game comes along where traversal mechanics literally are the game and you are deterred from fast travelling of course it's going to upset them.

DarkBatman

Traversal can be made competent without making it a tedious slog. Having to catch yourself and balance when walking around or you'll trip and fall over the most simple of geometry, lose all of your packages and have to pick them up again one by one is stupid.

It turns simple environmental exploration and traversal which is basically all you do in this game into a micro-management realtime QTE.

So, what's the alternative? If it would've have been as simple as that, just by holding the stick forward, everyone would've cried about it being way too simple for a "walking simulator", thus being too boring.

Last edited:

GV82

yMfRXWz.jpg

Death Stranding Sequel Movie starting Martin Freeman!!

🤣 it’s a Zombie Movie called Cargo

Last edited:
So, what's the alternative? If it would've have been as simple as that, everyone would cry about it being too simple for a "walking simulator".
What would have been the issue with the way it was handled in say RDR2? Traversal was somewhat rooted in reality and had a nice physics system but it didn't ask of you to constantly manage your traversal and turn it into a QTE.

mortal

Banned
What would have been the issue with the way it was handled in say RDR2? Traversal was somewhat rooted in reality and had a nice physics system but it didn't ask of you to constantly manage your traversal and turn it into a QTE.
Yes because that is RDR2 developed by Rockstar games. This is Death Stranding developed by Kojima Productions.
By that logic all video games need to play the exact same way. Better not break too far from convention for you know, arbritray reasons and whatnot.

No one is holding a gun to your head to play the game. Also, do you even know what a QTE is? lol

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member

Basically you're asking for the game to not be what it is and be like every other game out there.

The traversal in RDR2 rarely requires you to do anything other than hold forward on the analogue stick and manage your stamina when on foot.

If that's all you want there are a ton of games that already do it and you can play them right now.

Life

Why do people like you do that? "It looks like a mediocre game, so all the positive review must be wrong?" Where's the logic in that?!

I understand how some people hated the hype, there were many "this will be the best game of all time" sayers, making this a constant horror trip for non-fans the last three years.

For me it looks like a 9/10, but because it's Kojima, people are giving it a bad score, because they hate him and totally new and different gaming experiences... arguments like that make no sense and just hurt to even read.

Dude, I had concerns when watching gameplay footage..especially the boss fight we were shown. It looked like it was too easy/repetitive/spam grenades and win. That's what I thought at the time, (2/3 months ago?).

Now I watch a review, and the reviewer mentions exactly what I thought of the boss fight months back. I can't ignore something like that.

I have played far too many games to know when a game has genuine content/ gameplay hours - and when a game has filler content (you walk around a lot and you spend time in menus / watching cutscenes/reading letters or e-mail). Everyone was worried about this stuff......

Ellery

I never cared much for reviews on an individual basis. I use meta/opencritic as a general average to estimate what the general consensus is. I am a bit surprised that the game is not 90+, but that doesn't really matter to me.. next week I am going to get the BB and will play for as many hours as I like (well actually I am only going to game for as many hours as that awful PS4 Dual Shock controller has battery life for which feels like is only 3 hours).

I can appreciate when reviewers are honest and sharing their opinions and I respect that. Chances are high I am not going to agree with them because I might experience this game with an entirely different viewpoint. I am excited for this game and a couple of reviews can't change that. So far he has not let me down and I can always appreciate some goofy Kojimaness in my life

Yes because that is RDR2 developed by Rockstar games. This is Death Stranding developed by Kojima Productions.
By that logic all video games need to play the exact same way. Better not break too far from convention for you know, arbritray reasons and whatnot.

No one is holding a gun to your head to play the game. Also, do you even know what a QTE is? lol
Basically you're asking for the game to not be what it is and be like every other game out there.

The traversal in RDR2 rarely requires you to do anything other than hold forward on the analogue stick and manage your stamina when on foot.

If that's all you want there are a ton of games that already do it and you can play them right now.
"All games are different"

Talk about the shittiest and laziest possible way to scapegoat criticism.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Gears 5 = "Great scores for a great game."

Some of the very same people a month or so later...

DS = "Haha, told you, look at the scores, hack, overrated, boring, cinematic BS, walking sim, etc.."

I see you. :messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

It is all so fucking tiring.

Just goes to show you that Sony first party is held at a higher standard; to fanatics of every circle. Ironic, eh?

It's a bit different though, Sony games are held to a higher standard because Sony fans treat there exclusive games so far above xbox exclusives that even the opinion that this might not be the case gets piled on and mocked

Gears 5 did address a lot of the complaints of gears 4.

This is kojima lowest rated game in like 20yrs and the reviews are a bit different, there was no reputaple outlet which scored gears 5 really low, ign give DS a 6.8 is really interesting.

Theres seems to be some legitimate criticism of DS, the lack of gameplay variety, the fact you have to hold a button constantly to carry a hand suitcase etc.

It's a bit different though, Sony games are held to a higher standard because Sony fans treat there exclusive games so far above xbox exclusives that even the opinion that this might not be the case gets piled on and mocked

This is kojima lowest rated game in like 20yrs and the reviews are a bit different, there was no reputaple outlet which scored gears 5 really low, ign give DS a 6.8 is really interesting.

Theres seems to be some legitimate criticism of DS, the lack of gameplay variety, the fact you have to hold a button constantly to carry a hand suitcase etc.
You have to constantly hold a button to carry a suitcase around?

bmgCZxg.png

ethomaz

Banned

Gamestop 7/10
Edge 6/10

These two looks exactly like reputable outlet with similar scores as IGN.

GHG

Gold Member
"All games are different"

Talk about the shittiest and laziest possible way to scapegoat criticism.

What else do you want people to say :messenger_tears_of_joy: ?

The traversal is the game. The systems at play are either going to be your vibe or they aren't. I don't see the value in cherry picking one of the few reviews that didn't like the core gameplay loop when quite a few others clearly enjoyed it for what it has to offer.

It's not scapegoating criticism, it's saying it as it is. Nobody has said the guy from IGN isn't allowed to feel the way he does about the game. If you feel like you're going to be on the same page as him then you're free to dismiss the game and move on.

And actually, no, not all games are different.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned

How many games are not repetitive in nature?

That's the point: making mundane things interesting.

But I guess it falls in the same category as people complaining about climbing mechanics.

The game forces you to walk through it's beautiful and atmospheric scenarios and it's actually holding you accountable for your own movements? The horror.

The BT's merely function as a slowdown mechanic to buffer the game length and don't offer a real threat especially on the back of the asynchronous multiplayer which allows players to help in various ways

What if the threat is precisely that they slow you down?

That's actually far worse than dying and starting again from the same place almost inmediately without any relevant repercusions.

By the way, the majority of reviews note that there is a lot of tension when in presence of BT's. They achieve their goal.

Not until 9-10 hours in do you get a real weapon of any kind and even on top of that there's only a handful of combat encounters

Maybe it's because the game isn't about combat.

It's got a lot of problems, and the issue with all these high scores is they're completely masking over them

The game it's a different kind of game, the problems with the low score reviews is that they expected a typical open world/action game and aren't capable of changing their pre-conceptions about what a game should be.

That's why they are lousy reviewers while Hideo Kojima is a legendary genius.

Last edited:
What else do you want people to say :messenger_tears_of_joy: ?

The traversal is the game. The systems at play are either going to be your vibe or they aren't. I don't see the value in cherry picking one of the few reviews that didn't like the core gameplay loop when quite a few others clearly enjoyed it for what it has to offer.

It's not scapegoating criticism, it's saying it as it is. Nobody has said the guy from IGN isn't allowed to feel the way he does about the game. If you feel like you're going to be on the same page as him then you're free to dismiss the game and move on.
Dude...
You have to constantly hold a button to carry a suitcase around?

bmgCZxg.png
What logical excuse could you possibly conjure to explain stupid shit like this away?

Bakkus

I think the vast majority of the people you are talking about loved Kojima before MGS4

DarkBatman

1) Weren't his games of the last 20 years basically MGS after MGS?
2) I think it's kind of hard to compare Gears to DS - a well established franchise to a new IP.
3) IGN also gave MGSV a perfect score - and even hardcore fans had to admit this game has severe flaws.

DanielsM

Banned

Comparing games to one another is tricking business at times.

I mean, I consider Heavy Rain and Until Dawn fucking great for interactive games (they're like the old choose your own adventure books) - I mean there is some things they could do better but they are never going to be 9-10 type games, same probably could be said of Silent Hill titles. That's basically what you have here, a games that doesn't focus on action first - its not for everyone... let's be honest.. .everyone talks about Silent Hill as some great game (I do as well) but really they were never mass sellers or high rated.

I really don't pay too much attention about review scores anymore, there is enough video available for everyone to get the gist of stuff without scores.

I would probably rate Days Gone a 8.5 and mark it down for technical issues mostly, but yet is maybe my game of the year and one of my top 10 titles ever.... yet you have people that would trash it and than they would say stuff that actually showed they never even got past about 20% of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom