• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Death Stranding Review Thread

mortal

Banned
Because its not like 90% of the reviews are 9's or 10's, with 2 or 3 low scores from Edgy sites looking for hits. The game has a load of lower review scores, its very mixed in numbers.
That still doesn't explain how that invalidates their opinions of the game being a great enough experience to earn 100/100 or 10's.
Isn't the entire point is to gauge the impressions of multiple reviews, which include the negative ones as well as glowing ones?

At the end of the day these are the opinions of other people, so I'm not here to say you cannot disagree with a 100/100 review. Although to outright dismiss them as "fake" is silly..

thelastword

Banned
This sounds so fucking wrong. Does that mean they would release the review without finishing the game if they had the opportunity?
Fucking gross.
You have no idea how often this happens...…….When you read some of the reviews where reviewers have no knowledge of basic things you learn in the intro/tutorial or options......You even wonder if some reviewers play the game at all, farless finish it.....

mortal

Banned
nice "gameplay" LOL (start at 11:20)

Why is gameplay in quotes? They are literally playing the game. The amount of mechanical engagement in locomotion itself is more involved than most other open world games where you are pretty much just holding forward on the thumb stick.
What is 'gameplay' to you, then?

GHG

Gold Member
A 7 is also just about a 8/10 level review though.

If a 7 is just about an 8 then it means 7s are 8s while 8s are just about a 9 which means 8s are 9s and finally 9s are just about 10 which means 9s are 10s.

This means all death stranding reviews are actually 10/10.

SillyNiceEland-max-1mb.gif

Psykodad

Banned
If a 7 is just about an 8 then it means 7s are 8s while 8s are just about a 9 which means 8s are 9s and finally 9s are just about 10 which means 9s are 10s.

This means all death stranding reviews are actually 10/10.

SillyNiceEland-max-1mb.gif
Or 7s are 6s, are 5s, which are basically 0s, so extremely hyperbolic and can be ignored. 😏

That's how retarded you guys sound. Lol

bilderberg

Why is gameplay in quotes? They are literally playing the game. The amount of mechanical engagement in locomotion itself is more involved than most other open world games where you are pretty much just holding forward on the thumb stick.
What is 'gameplay' to you, then?

left trigger, right trigger

Chiggs

Gold Member
Oh so it’s either bash the game for “proper criticism” or giving it a full score is “fanboying” .. I thought that’s called different opinions so what changed now. Unless the bashing is “real criticism” and someone having another opinion that’s a good one about the game is “fanboying”

Except I haven't dismissed the positive reviews....just the ones with perfect scores, which, upon reading, are utterly ridiculous.

See how easy it is to reverse someone who goes for the most extreme interpretation of a point, and then adds a dose of training wheel sarcasm to let everyone know their rebuttal is completely and utterly disingenuous?

IpsoFacto

The fact that No Man's Sky is getting referenced and that the gameplay seems highly repetitive, I fear not just for this game's future but for Kojima's new studio. His studio had Sony's backing for nearly 3 years and Kojima did have a lot of sympathy after his fallout with Konami (which nobody blames him for that, because that company aside from the Pro Evolution Soccer games is just unsalvagable at this point).

The YongYea video review was very informative about breaking down what the game is comprised of and what to expect without going into any spoilers. Despite concerns it definitely piqued my interest a bit.

Last edited:

FranXico

Fantasy that seems to be comforting some people:
Serves you right for not coming to Spencer! You should have made an exclusive MGS for Xbox!
Instead you went with Soyny!!!1!

THIS GAME IS SHIT!!!! IT'S REVIEWING LIKE SHIIIIIIIT!!!
OH GOD, THIS FEELS SO GOOD!
Take that, Kojima! You hack!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!

The Golden Age of Sony exclusives is OVEEER!!!..... Die Sony!
Time for Xbox to rule gaming foreveeeer!
Reality:
ybGy70e.png

Dunki

The Skill Up Review is still the best Review I have seen of the game. It explains the motivation, the mechanics and what is so fascinating about this game. This game is bold in a mundane AAA world. And it seems everything Kojima wanted was accomplished

Last edited:

vpance

Fun fact: The gamespot reviewer is actually the legendary "too much water" former IGN reviewer. So we at least have confirmation that Death Stranding has just the right amount of water.

What game had too much water?

That same reviewer also gave Days Gone a 5, mostly because the main char was a horrible white man, I think.

FranXico

The Skill Up Review is still the best Review I have seen of the game. It explains the motivation, the mechanics and what is so fascinating about this game. This game is bold in a mundane AAA world. And it seems everything Kojima wanted was accomplished

I also had to watch a number of reviews until I found one that actually explains the core mechanics. There seems to be more depth to it than some would have one think.

shoegaze

So there's really nothing hidden then halfway through the game. No gameplay shift, no mood shift, no grand reveal or big spin, even the ending seems to be underwhelming as is the storyline quite predictable and flat. It's literally the game we saw in the months prior to release.

Well then, that leaves some work to be done for the art conossiour. They'll have to make it out to be something it isn't, which ultimately is the case for art. We've seen the shitter in a museum that is worth millions, we've seen paintings by monkeys which are worth absolute admiration by us, the lesser intelligence. Only in determinate hope I know this piece of art is also going to stand shoulder to shoulder amongst the giants.

Let the experience lead you, let the feeling reveal and the emotion beget, let the journey take you and the next hill amaze you, and that spinning of the wheel make art conossiour save you.

Dunki

I also had to watch a number of reviews until I found one that actually explains the core mechanics. There seems to be more depth to it than some would have one think.
Yeah also the struggle in the first 10 or so hours is there for a reason. You should also feel like you accomplished something by connecting the world. It becomes more easier to deliver packages because you have build a connection to others and the country itself. The struggle is part of the story and the core motivation. Of course lazy fucks at IGN can not understand this at all.

This game did something remarkable in my opinion. In normal open World games the destination is the reward and the experience. You traversal trough all of it because you want to get to the finish line. In Death Stranding the Journey is the motivation and the experience

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I bet most of the negative reviews never finished it and didn't get their heads around using the building and social features properly....

FranXico

Yeah also the struggle in the first 10 or so hours is there for a reason. You should also feel like you accomplished something by connecting the world. It becomes more easier to deliver packages because you have build a connection to others and the country itself. The struggle is part of the story and the core motivation. Of course lazy fucks at IGN can not understand this at all.

This game did something remarkable in my opinion. In normal open World games the destination is the reward and the experience. You traversal trough all of it because you want to get to the finish line. In Death Stranding the Journey is the motivation and the experience
Also, another review that goes into more detail regarding mechanics and why they liked it.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know but just watching some gameplay posted (and how they explain how to play) here put me in the GOTY area for me.
The reviews avg. continue being good.

Last edited:

ROMhack

The mixed reception actually makes me more interested in the game. I was planning on waiting for the recently announced PC version, but I might just be there Day 1.

Mixed reception is a great thing IMHO. My favourite games usually sit around 70/80 on metacritic.

I sort of feel the same but don't know it's FOMO kicking in. Ironically I'm just back from a 4 day break in the hills, which was about map reading, contouring, pacing distance, taking bearings etc. It's a good skill and you do have to pick your path down a craggy face carefully. Slippy rocks in watercourses do make you go round whereas in games you'd just hoof it through. The concept is interesting, I just don't know if I'd like it in a game rather than just doing it. Think I'm gonna wait ultimately because when I take a chance I usually get burned :/

Why not just admit you were playing Firewatch...

Last edited:
This game has an online feature. It's funny when you see other reviewers stats and most of them haven't even reached half of the game.

Top Bottom