• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin |OT| Dean Ambrose, Muscleless Agent of SHIELD, Every Week :(

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Miz & Eve are nowhere near Giant Gonzalez (who only stopped wrestling due to his condition, which ultimately took his life). Besides, things are different now. There is no WCW for guys to go to. Eve has also shown a ton of improvement, if you can't see that, then you need help. What I'm just seeing is something that's always disturbed me about the IWC. It's how quick people are to want someone to be fired. It's as if these guys aren't viewed as human beings, but simply as on screen characters, and their worth as employees is also judged by their on screen character, which is sad because these guys have little control over that.

Umm if you suck at your job you should stop doing that job.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Miz started wrestling in 2003. He's almost 10 years in. It's not like he just started a few years ago. He's a decade in. He showed steady improvement and was rewarded for it, but now has completely dropped off on the mic and in the ring back to what he was when he was on Tough Enough. Yet, he's being rewarded for it. It's like he completely stopped giving a shit once he got his title run and WM main event.
How is he being rewarded for it? He was on a losing streak, won the IC title, and quickly dropped it to Kofi. Now, he's a face doing nothing.

Miz was red hot after WM, but they dropped the ball. Instead of giving him a chance, they dropped him down the card until nothing. He made his WWE debut in 2006, and has had essentially the same character since then. Before this decade, guys would get chance after chance, gimmick after gimmick, until they found something that worked. They would go away, come back, reworked until they found something that worked. Once again, this isn't about Miz, but rather, a troubling attitude that permeates the industry. Miz made great improvement since his debut, got a WM main event out of it. Yes, he's been floundering since then, but the attitude should be, "let's try to build him back up to where he was", not "well, he's done, so let's get some green guy in here, and see if that works."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
A good reminder - make sure to vote in your end-of-year WrassleGAF First Annual Awards Show - link is in the OP!

strobogo

Banned
How is he being rewarded for it? He was on a losing streak, won the IC title, and quickly dropped it to Kofi. Now, he's a face doing nothing.

Miz was red hot after WM, but they dropped the ball. Instead of giving him a chance, they dropped him down the card until nothing. He made his WWE debut in 2006, and has had essentially the same character since then. Before this decade, guys would get chance after chance, gimmick after gimmick, until they found something that worked. They would go away, come back, reworked until they found something that worked. Once again, this isn't about Miz, but rather, a troubling attitude that permeates the industry. Miz made great improvement since his debut, got a WM main event out of it. Yes, he's been floundering since then, but the attitude should be, "let's try to build him back up to where he was", not "well, he's done, so let's get some green guy in here, and see if that works."

He's being rewarded by being made the announcer of Main Event, filtering all the main event angles through Miz TV, getting a big face turn out of nowhere and interacting with every top star every week. How is that not being rewarded? He was doing absolutely nothing and now is a focal point of Raw and Smackdown every week while also being on every Main Event show. The shittier he gets, the more TV time they give him. I don't get it. Guys who suck at their jobs shouldn't be fired until they've had lots of gimmicks first? Guys who suck at their jobs shouldn't be fired because their writing sucks? Well, everyone has shitty writing in WWE and there are still a whole lot of guys who don't suck at everything they do.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
It's funny how Punk hated on Miz for main eventing WM when he felt he should be doing it. Yet, he's at his peak, and he didn't main event last year, and he likely won't this year again. And if he main events the year after, it'll only be because of SCSA.

He's being rewarded by being made the announcer of Main Event, filtering all the main event angles through Miz TV, getting a big face turn out of nowhere and interacting with every top star every week. How is that not being rewarded? He was doing absolutely nothing and now is a focal point of Raw and Smackdown every week while also being on every Main Event show. The shittier he gets, the more TV time they give him. I don't get it. Guys who suck at their jobs shouldn't be fired until they've had lots of gimmicks first? Guys who suck at their jobs shouldn't be fired because their writing sucks? Well, everyone has shitty writing in WWE and there are still a whole lot of guys who don't suck at everything they do.

All of that gets trumped by Vince, who probably likes him.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Big face turn? He's done nothing in it thus far, but getting beaten up on his own show and face 3MB. How is that a big face turn? And you're mad that he gets to announce on Main Event? It's one of the few things he does well, and the only reason he does it, I bet, is because he's one of the few "big time" wrestlers that could work in that role, and would have no problem doing the dates. The guy does a lot of dates and media appearances, and they reward him for it.

Everyone in the WWE has shitty writing, and they make it work? Maybe he's not allowed to ad-lib? Maybe he doesn't get as much input as other guys? Maybe he's told to go out there and "suck". BTW, you realize that this is just your opinion, right? I don't like him, but I see why they keep him. This isn't a wrestling show. This is a business, and he's good for it. Hell, it wasn't that long ago that he had the crowd eating out of his hand and repeating all of his catchphrases as a heel. People in this thread didn't think his writing was shitty when he was knocking down Kofi not that long ago. People in this thread were loving him when he became WWE champ.

Nobody has really gotten fired in a long time. Everybody just seems to leave now due to either being bored doing nothing or just hating the fact that they are doing nothing. If JTG isn't getting fired nobody is.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
You know who's a good example of my point? Mark Henry.

I used to hate Mark Henry. I never wanted him to lose his job, but he was boring to watch, was rarely interesting, and he was terrible in the ring. Other wrestlers openly complained about having to work with him. People in this thread couldn't stand him.

Then, he was given a great gimmick, and people started loving him. No, he didn't take any initiative or work harder. The gimmick wasn't even his idea. "Hall of Pain" was Brodus Clay's idea for himself, but WWE gave it to Henry. He's still hard to work with in the ring, but now, more than 15 years after he came into the WWE, people are actually looking forward to his return, and I'm one of them.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Nobody has really gotten fired in a long time. Everybody just seems to leave now due to either being bored doing nothing or just hating the fact that they are doing nothing. If JTG isn't getting fired nobody is.

Because of Linda.

With all the new people from development on tv, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few people headed down to TNA after Jan 1st.

strobogo

Banned
Okay. It is an opinion that many people share. But it is an opinion, yes. So why are you telling us it is a shitty attitude to have and we shouldn't have it? This is dumb. You're telling us that what we're saying is just an opinion and brushing it off, but at the same time telling us it is a terrible attitude and opinion and we shouldn't have it?

Why can't we want Miz fired for thinking he's awful?

EDIT: Also, Mark Henry was basically doing the Hall of Pain thing since 2006 at least. There was nothing he was doing this year and last year that he wasn't doing for the prior 6 years in between injuries, he was just booked to win more.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Okay. It is an opinion that many people share. But it is an opinion, yes. So why are you telling us it is a shitty attitude to have and we shouldn't have it? This is dumb. You're telling us that what we're saying is just an opinion and brushing it off, but at the same time telling us it is a terrible attitude and opinion and we shouldn't have it?

Why can't we want Miz fired for thinking he's awful?
I'm not saying you can't have it. I'm just saying that it's an utterly immature attitude to have that is lacking any compassion. You're calling for a man to lose his job, without any understanding of the situation. You think he's annoying, but maybe that's how they want him to be? You think his wrestling is subpar, but maybe they tell him to tone down the wrestling?

It's like when so many people wanted Cole to lose his job, because they thought he was "burying the talent." You know damn well that's his character, Vince is feeding him every damn line, and Cole is actually one of the most well liked guys in the company.

It's just so. . . . . markish.

strobogo

Banned
But that's my point. It's amazing how the IWC can so quickly go from liking someone to demanding that they lose their livelihood so quickly, like these aren't real human beings.

Do you really, honestly care about the livelihoods of random wrestlers that people don't like? Do you really think that Miz would be homeless and destitute if he got fired tomorrow?

EDIT:

raven463.jpg

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Do you really, honestly care about the livelihoods of random wrestlers that people don't like? Do you really think that Miz would be homeless and destitute if he got fired tomorrow?
Yes, I do care about random people. I honestly do. I care about random people's livelihood.

No, Miz won't be homeless, but I have higher expectations for people's well being than simply having food and some kind of shelter.

He's right guyz fired is to harsh a word. I can't wait for these guys to "retire" though

JTG
Big Show
Lawler
Kofi
Aksana
John Cena
Hornswaggle
Ezekial Jackson
Khali

strobogo

Banned
I have to say, this episode of Thunder is making me really bitchy. I don't want to squabble with Soul, but I do hate Miz and hope he ends up worse off than Jake Roberts and Steven Adler.

Cagey

Banned
Suck at your job? The guy was main eventing WM just two years ago, and deservedly so. Now, he should be released? Maybe he just needs a new gimmick, or a break, or something.

Wait, what? He deserved to main event WM? He's terrible. He's terrible as a heel, he's terrible as a face, he's terrible in the ring, he's terrible on the mic, he's terrible on commentary.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have to say, this episode of Thunder is making me really bitchy. I don't want to squabble with Soul, but I do hate Miz and hope he ends up worse off than Jake Roberts and Steven Adler.

The beginning of the New Blood era is probably worse than the craziness of the early 2000's. This was not helped at all by the fact that most WCW fans I talked to at the time really didn't like that the old guard of WWF has beens and WCW old fogeys were being replaced at the top by Double J, who was seen as a slightly younger WWF neverwasbeen.

People back then wanted Booker T or Kidman to be the face of the company...which is sort of where they were heading towards the end of this glorious trainwreck of wrestling history.

strobogo

Banned
wcw2000.tumblr.com

WCW Thunder 4/12/2000

vlcsnap-00019_zps693fc93f.png

After a nonsensical, shooty, insidery, chaotic reboot of WCW on Nitro, we're going to see what Vince Russo and Eric Bischoff could possibly do next. Spring Stampede is this Sunday. No matches were announced prior to the reboot, but the card looked to be shaping up for Hogan vs Sid, some kind of Team Package vs Sting/Vampiro match, Harris Brothers vs Mamalukes and/or Booker/Kidman, maybe The Wall vs Vampiro instead of a tag match. All of those angles were dropped on Monday. Sid and Hogan are nominally on the same side, Vampiro turned on Sting, Shane Douglas and Ric Flair got into, Lex saved Sting in the main event, all titles were stripped and Booker and Kidman individually turned heel, Hulk Hogan's limo was t-bone suplexed by a Bischoff and Kidman driven White Hummer, Sid was put out of action by the Wall, and Mike Awesome debuted by attacking Kevin Nash while still being ECW Champion. His reign was mentioned and that he probably had a defense coming up, but no specifics, which led to a lawsuit from Heyman. It also led to Tazz (under WWF contract) defeating Mike Awesome (under WCW contract) at an ECW house show. But for now, on to the show. The only match announced for the PPV now is DDP vs Jeff Jarrett for the vacant WCW Championship.

A recap of Nitro followed by...

EARLIER TODAY.
Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo arrived in their porche.

vlcsnap-00001_zps1d4b9db2.png

Eric Bischoff, Vince Russo, and the New Blood head to the ring to start the show. David Arquette is in the front row tonight. Tony is back on Thunder now. It seems that Mike Tenay has been downgraded from his position as the god of Thunder. Eric is probably the greatest smarmiest asshole in wrestling history. Kidman calls the crowd marks and says that he's 3-0 against Hogan. Russo says from the roar of the crowd, he almost thought it was New York, but it can't be, because this town sucks. Vince Russo is The Batman. I knew it. Ric Flair will be Vince Russo's New York Bitch. Shane Douglas plans on franchising Ric Flair. Vince and Eric have decided to give Jeff and DDP the night off, to make a level playing field. However, Kim will have a match against Madusa. This brings out DDP with a "whatever" t-shirt.

vlcsnap-00002_zps5ac20106.png

He calls the New Blood MONKEYS. DDP wants a match with Eric tonight. Bisch says he'd rather see what stripper outfit Kim is going to wear tonight. DDP heads to the ring and is ambushed by Bam Bam Bigelow? But I thought Wall killed him and he was now a noble face? The rest of the Millionaire's Club (minus Hogan, who is in the hospital) come and it looks like a battle royal in the ring. Security is out, everyone is brawling. Cats and dogs. CHAOS!

vlcsnap-00003_zps286e9c7d.png

Show run down. Recap of the events of tonight. 6 man tag tonight between the 6 men who will be in a Suicide Six Match to determine the new Cruiserweight Champion at the Spring Stampede. Ric Flair vs Buff, Lex vs Shane Douglas. Team Package, Buff/Douglas, Mamalukes, and Harlem Heat will have a mini tournament at the PPV to crown new champs. Sting and Sid will have qualifying matches to gain entry into the US Title tournament. We'll also find out about the Hardcore Championship.

Crowbar/Shannon Moore/Lash LeRoux vs Chris Candido/Juvi Juice/TAFKAPI

What a random group of 6 guys to be in the title match at the PPV. Juvi hasn't wrestled in at least 5 months, Chavo and Mike Modest were to be the number one contender. Now neither of them are involved, one member of 3 Count is in, Crowbar, and Lash LeRoux? A beach ball made it into the ring. David comes out and dances with Paisley. Daffney doesn't like this and grabs him by the dick via crowbar.

crowballs-o.gif

Rocker dropper from Shannon to Juvi. Crowbar comes in and starts taking bumps. What the fuck, wasn't Crowbar dead just a few weeks ago? He went from might not wrestle ever again after getting chokeslammed from the TurnerTron through the the stage. Now he's just fine. No neck injury. David isn't wearing his neck brace, either. Dive section ends with Shannon hitting a top rope Asai moonsault. Prince's glitter shit is everywhere. Shannon hits a move on Crowbar, but they're on the same team. Daffney super ranna's Shane in the ring. This is a mess. Juvi SPIKES Crowbar with the Juvi Driver. Chris Candido breaks up the pin. But he's on Juvi's team. Skip and Prince hit a double DDT and Prince breaks the pin. But they're on the same team. Candido hits the diving headbutt, but Prince breaks up the pin and hits his jumping DDT on Skip. But they're on the same team. Crowbar gets the win with a sit out gourdbuster.

TO THE BACK. Mean Gene is with DDP. He's going to rip JJ's head off at the PPV and he's not going to allow Madusa vs Kim to happen right now. "Bam Bam. Jersey Style." Harlem Heat are in an office waiting for Vince and Eric. Vince and Big T have a nice reunion, but it turns out that Ahmed is in Eric's seat. "That's not a good thing. This isn't New York, Tony." Eric wants Sid taken out. Eric has now bowed up to Sid and Ahmed Johnson and they both backed down to him.

More highlights of Ready to Rumble's premier. Sting claims it is Dumb and Dumber, Beavis and Butthead, Wayne's World, and wrestling all rolled into one.

TO THE BACK. Shawn Stasiak is with the make up lady when Curt Hennig attacks from behind. Security breaks it up. Stasiak now calls himself "The Perfect One".

Sid vs Harlem Heat

sidboom-o.gif

Sid has new pyro and is back to being a face by virtue of being established. Sid must defeat all three men to gain entry into the US Title tournament. Double 110th Street slam followed by a big Kash Splash, but Sid still kicks out. Booker comes out and attacks Harlem Heat. Sid pins Stevie Ray with a powerbomb. But Booker is in the New Blood and turned on Sting on Nitro. The Wall comes out and lays out Sid with a chair.

TO THE BACK. Eric and Vince react negatively to Booker's actions. Eric will fix it. Sid is still out in the ring.

Eric powerwalks to the ring. Shitty powerwalk compared to McMahon. Eric makes sure Sid is out and makes an executive decision: Due to outside interference, Sid has been disqualified and will not be in the tournament. It was a no DQ match.

TO THE BACK. Jimmy Hart is looking for Eric in the back. Eric and the NB give Booker shit for doing what he did.

Shane Douglas vs Lex Luger.

Lex attacks Douglas during his own posing. DDP vs Bam Bam will happen tonight. This isn't very good. Broken down Shane, Lex phoning it in against everyone but Sting. Ref bump. Shane low blows Lex and Flair comes out to beat on Shane. Low blow followed by the Torture Rack for the win. Even though Ric Flair was standing right in front of Billy Silverman.

TO THE BACK. Jimmy Hart catches up with Eric. Why did he turn on Hogan?

During the break we find out that Russo was super pissed about Flair interfering, so now if Lex interferes at all in the Flair/Buff match, both members of Team Package will be suspended. They're millionaires. Why would they care about a suspension? We get some exclusive footage of the Hummer wreck from INSIDE Hulk's limo. Not sure why that was in there since Hulk had close the door on the camera man before the wreck happened. Hogan has a bunch of injuries, might not ever come back, and will be hospitalized for two weeks.

vlcsnap-00009_zps5cc06dd7.png

Jimmy Hart is out to the ring. Jimmy wants Eric to come out and give him some answers. Eric comes out. With Billy Kidman! Kidman darts to the ring and drills Jimmy. Kidman spray paints the NB logo on Jimmy. They really couldn't come up with something besides spray painting guys?

vlcsnap-00017_zps16662744.png

TO THE BACK. Kim gets ready for her match. DDP doesn't want her to go the ring. She wants to do this and wants Page to be positive.

Booker vs The Wall.

New Blood is already imploding. On the second night! This is battle royal/gauntlet thing. Every minute will have a new wrestler. 6 total. Determines the order of the US Championship brackets, I think. The Cat is the first in and kicks Book over the ropes immediately. Wall then chokeslams him through a table. Both men are counted out. Cat starts dancing. Next man out is Scott Steiner, who for the first time in his life, hates pussy. He takes Cat's shoes off and throws them at him. Cat hits a big kick that takes Steiner down hard. Kidman is out next. He doesn't want to get in there with Steiner. He slides in and pins Cat while Steiner is celebrating. Which means he's left along with Scotty. Seems like a bad plan to me. The spinning belly to belly pins Kidman. Now we're down to Steiner vs Vampiro. But before Vampiro can do anything, Sting follows him into the ring and hits the Death Drop. Steiner wins with the recliner.

TO THE BACK. Madusa and Kim are heading to the arena. Team Package are with Gene. Flair is Mantle in Russo's life time. WHOOO.

kimrobe-o.gif

Kim vs Madusa.

vlcsnap-00028_zps1125523d.png

DDP is watching in the back. DDP comes in to stop it. Madusa then starts kicking DDP. Page Diamond Cuts her. You can tell Russo's back. A lot of bleeps and male on female violence.

Knobs/Finlay vs Meng/Hugh Morris vs Terry Funk/Norman Smiley

Hardcore rules tag match. The winning team will face each other for the Hardcore title at Spring Stampede. Hugh tries on elbow of the stage through a table on a prone Norman, but Norman moves. It wouldn't have mattered since the only thing Hugh touched with the corner of the table with his elbow. That probably hurt like a mother fucker.

funnytable-o.gif

Meng and Knobs are fighting into the concord area. I like that not only does Meng no sell everything, but he doesn't even flinch when getting drilled with stuff. Meng sees a cardboard cut out of Goldberg and spears it. He thought it was the real Goldberg. Meng just threw Knobs over the balcony outside. He's gone. Hopefully that was how they decided to write Knobs off forever. Norman gets thrown through the opening to the Cave of Wonders. Hugh then tries to attack, but racks himself on a giant tiger tooth. Back at ringside, Finlay DDTs Funk on the floor. Funk piledrives Finlay on a broken table and goes up for a moonsault, but Dustin Rhodes comes out and attacks. Shattered dreams! Norman pins Terry Funk to win. But they're on the same team. Norman Smiley vs Terry Funk for the Hardcore Title at the PPV.

TO THE BACK. Eric and Vince convince the Villanos to beat Sting tonight. Sting heads to the arena.

vlcsnap-00032_zps8f477be9.png

The match was cut. The highlights were shown, though. Jeff Jarrett was dressed as a Villano and hit Sting with a guitar. DDP made the save.

TO THE BACK. Jeff threatens to knock Gene's liver spots off. He doesn't like David Arquette or DDP.

Ric Flair vs Buff

Vince Russo as fake Sting next to David Arquette attacks Flair with a bat. Now he, Buff, and Shane Douglas are beating on Flair. Lex makes the save, but is also beaten down.

Sting vs Villanos.

What? This is what they showed highlights of just a few minutes ago. They even had a shot of fake Sting next to David Cox. What kind of shitty production error was that? They showed the highlights to a match and angle before the showed the actual match. Oh, WCW.

Bam Bam vs DDP

Meh. Ref bump. DDP hits the Diamond Cutter and Eric comes out to count, which he stops at two. DDP goes after Eric, JJ hits DDP with a guitar. David Arquette jumps the rail to save DDP and is destroyed by Jeff Jarrett. Stroke!

vlcsnap-00036_zps844483e1.png

Kanyon comes out to save DDP and David. What? He was heeling all over DDP and David just a few weeks ago. Eric lays Kanyon out with a chair. New Blood comes in. More spray paint.

Well, this show sucked. Instead of the crazy, what the fuck can happen next feeling of pure chaos of Nitro, Thunder immediately settled into the New Blood being the NWO. Right down to spray painting everyone. I can see the booking meeting going something like this: "Okay, so what are we going to to differently to change the company up? "I know, we'll do the same shit that we and McMahon have done for the past 2-4 years. Those marks will never see it coming!" "Great idea, I'm going to take a nap. Wake me up when the show starts."

Promise change and what do we get? Another NWO rip off and TWO evil authority figures. Not that Russo is super likable or anything, but I think the should have not had him immediately be evil New Yawker right away. Promising to give all the young talent chances and then turning them all heel, even when they were in the middle of giant, star making face pushes was a terrible idea. Particularly ruining Vampiro, but Kidman as well. It made zero sense to have him be a cocky douchebag heel out of nowhere based on an online interview Hogan did months earlier. Kidman and Vampiro should have been fighting off the New Blood to make their own paths and not rely on the same bullshit good ol' boys club that was claimed to get all the Millionaires in their spots.

Top Bottom