• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin |OT| Dean Ambrose, Muscleless Agent of SHIELD, Every Week :(

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
Somebody compiled this but here is the top 9 matches in the WWE that got 4 stars or more from Dave Meltzer in 2012:

In those 9 matches, Daniel Bryan is in 4 of them and CM Punk and Cena are in 3 of them. I find it interesting that for Cena to be in 3 of the top matches he either needs to be carried by Punk or Ziggler or be in a unique match like the fight with Brock.

What's more interesting is that they are all stipulation matches except CM Punk vs Bryan at Over the Limit

strobogo

Banned
Man a Wcw reboot, hell of a thing

Russo ruined everything

Sounds so blargh

Oh man Strobogo, you're suffering through the worst of the worst now. The little glimpses of a competent team sometimes would show, but my god that commentary team was TRASH.

The first 3 and a half months were actually pretty decent. More enjoyable than current WWE for sure. Maybe not as many quality matches (or any, really), but the shows had a lot more character and sense of excitement to them. And the first night of the reboot was pretty exciting if only for the spectacle. But by Thunder, they were literally doing the same shit that had been going on in both WCW and WWF for the past 3 or 4 years. Giant stable where half the roster, no matter how shitty they are, are part of it? Check. Said overly huge stable beats down and spray paints their logo on people? Check. Conflict with in the stable? Check. Evil boss who goes out of his way to fuck with top faces and is on the show more than most of the wrestlers? Check. And doubled, since instead of one Vince McMahon, you get TWO for the price of one.

The reboot, while a ballsy and interesting choice that really just took what the Vince's did in 1997 by having McMahon start the show saying they were taking creative in a different direction to the extreme, really didn't make much sense. There wasn't a need to just stop all the angles and pushes. That was just needlessly killing any momentum guys were building. But then we find out that not even a week in that some of the previous angles were still running and others were completely ignored. Like Booker vs Harlem Heat and Funk/Rhodes kept going, but other guys that were feuding were now teaming up with no problems. I thought these would be fun for the trainwreck aspect, but now I'm worried that watching all this shit will make me even more miserable and suicidal than normal. And it is only a week in to the reboot.

I thought these would be fun for the trainwreck aspect, but now I'm worried that watching all this shit will make me even more miserable and suicidal than normal. And it is only a week in to the reboot.

If you think it's bad now, wait until you get around to August/September/October 2000 when they really started fucking with people's gimmicks (Goldberg heel turn, Tank Abbott becoming a 3Count groupie, Mike Awesome becoming a 70s guy/BBW lover, Jim Duggan turning on the USA, Insane Clown Posse joining with Vampiro & The Great Muta) and AOL Time Warner started making WCW cut back on a ton of money.

Russo's last run in WCW was in September 2000 and it was a total trainwreck. Russo winning the WCW Title, Russo riding around in a Popemobile, Russo Russo Russo.

In October, they started taping both Nitro and Thunder in one night. The Thunder episodes were as bad as you'd think when they started this. The crowd was dead and half-empty. The workers were still blown up from Nitro.

Remember Spring Stampede you just watched? They did one of those dual Nitro/Thunder tapings in that same arena (United Center in Chicago, IL) in November 2000. There was a total of 1,100 people in the crowd. Think about it.

Tensai is a perfect example of this. In Japan, he was a convincing and effective monster. In the WWE, they gave him a silly gimmick, it doesn't go over, they immediately gave up on him, and less than half a year later, he's a joke.

Tensai/Albert sucks. Even if they gave him a decent gimmick he'd still fail to get over in the states because he simply doesn't have the look.

On the other hand, WCW 2001 was showing some promise. Bischoff's group, Fusient Media Ventures, had a deal in place to purchase WCW and he started taking over the shows again.

Bischoff focused on getting as far away from Russo's silliness as possible (and perhaps learned from his own mistakes in 1998-1999 as well). Scott Steiner was a fantastic WCW World Champion and probably the best heel in the business. There was finally some stability in the title scenes without the titles getting pinballed around every week. There was a ton of new, young talent coming in that totally revitalized the Cruiserweight division to the point they were able to create a Cruiserweight Tag Team Title. That tournament was fun as hell to watch. The young talent were finally getting pushed as well at the outright expense of the bitter veterans (see WCW Greed 2001 where Sean O'Haire & Chuck Palumbo murdered Lex Luger & Buff Bagwell in 50 seconds after Luger & Buff bitched about putting them over in a regular 10-15 minute match; Luger & Buff then protested by delaying the show by faking injuries and laying in the ring for 10 minutes).

They were doing an interesting angle at the time where The Magnificent Seven (Ric Flair, The Steiner Brothers, Jeff Jarrett, Buff Bagwell, Lex Luger, and Road Warrior Animal) started taking out all of the top babyfaces (Booker, Sid, Goldberg, Nash, DDP). WCW was supposed to go on hiatus after the Spring Break show and come back with a PPV called "WCW: The Big Bang" on May 6, 2001 where Bischoff would bring back all the babyfaces and they would feud during the entire summer to lead up to a War Games match in September at Fall Brawl (which worked since Flair and Animal weren't wrestling). Sid's horrific ankle break was actually not as severe since it was a clean break. He was scheduled to be medically cleared by the War Games match.

529774_260981650665822_218281291602525_488982_932651431_n.jpg

Punk-Cena at Night of Champions was a normal singles match. But it's guaranteed that if a match has a ladder then Dave will love it.

I'll never forget Meltzer's never-ending insistence about HHH/HBK/Benoit at WM20 being a Ladder Match. He was still promising that it would be after the final Raw before the show.

"It looks like they aren't going to announce it until the night of the show for some reason, but the plans still say this is going to be a Ladder Match." Whoever that source was trolled the fuck out of him.

strobogo

Banned
Remember Spring Stampede you just watched? They did one of those dual Nitro/Thunder tapings in that same arena (United Center in Chicago, IL) in November 2000. There was a total of 1,100 people in the crowd. Think about it.

That sounds amazing. So is looking at the attendence records for the last 4 Starrcades, which were of course all at the MCI Center in DC.

1997: 17,500
1998: 16,066
1999: 8,582
2000: 6,596

That sounds amazing. So is looking at the attendence records for the last 4 Starrcades, which were of course all at the MCI Center in DC.

1997: 17,500
1998: 16,066
1999: 8,582
2000: 6,596

In 2000, over 4,500 of that attendance were papered/free tickets. There were only about 2,000 paid.

Anth0ny

Speaking of Dave Meltzer...

Review a Wai covered Kobashi vs. Joe last week. I decided to give the show a watch. I never really got into any indy stuff, as my interest in wrestling faded when Eddie died, and I didn't start watching again until Punk's promo last year. So I was never all that thirsty for more quality content... UNTIL NOW

It was my first ROH show ever, and really the first non WWE 5 star match I've ever watched. I've heard Kobashi's name thrown around (he's a legendary Japanese wrestler? That's all I really know), and I know of Samoa Joe (had 5 star matches with Punk in ROH, now doing nothing in TNA?). But ultimately, I couldn't care less about the two matching up with eachother. I was expecting a technical masterpiece, or some crazy spots, or a fantastic story being told during the match.

Instead... it seemed to be just an average match. I watched the DVD version, without commentary. This was done because, apparently, hearing the crowd noise made the match better? All I heard was about 800 smarks in a banquet hall popping for every little thing and starting KOBASHI and THIS IS AWESOME chants every 5 seconds.

At first, I thought of Rock vs. Hogan at Wrestlemania 18. This was brought up during the Review a Wai feedback. It was an okay match elevated with an awesome atmosphere thanks to the hot as fuck crowd.

The difference there being... Rock vs. Hogan was the first generation vs. generation thing. It was the dream match of all dream matches. The face of the WWE from the past vs. the current face of the WWE. The angle writes itself, no build required. In a similar sense, there was no build at all for Kobashi vs. Joe. Kobashi was just booked for the show, and ROH obviously placed him against their biggest guy, Joe, in the card. Was Kobashi vs. Joe really a dream match to people? /i'mignorantpleasecorrectme

Not to mention, you've got 70,000 strong in the Skydome somehow blowing the roof off the god damn place. Watch any other wrestling show at Skydome. It's hard to hear the crowd because of how damn huge Skydome is. That was not the case in Rock vs. Hogan. Somehow, it was loud as fuck.

As I said before, Joe vs. Kobashi had a similar feel... just on a much, much smaller scale. So I ask... how does that match get a 5 star rating, when Rock vs. Hogan does not? Does Meltzer just have a boner for indie stuff? Did he do it to get Joe/ROH over? What am I missing here? Again, I have very little context for this match. I just watched the match and the Review a Wai.

strobogo

Banned
Dave definitely had a boner for Kobashi and late 80s-mid 90s AJPW in general. Kobashi and Misawa are both on his 5* match list 23 times. Granted, a lot of those are in the same match, but still.

Kobashi/Joe was not a 5* match. It was really just a best of collection boiled down into one match. Yes, the crowd was super hyped and it was cool to see Kenta in the US chopping fools, but it was very Kobashi formula. He was already pretty broken down by that point. Hogan/Rock wasn't a 5* match, but I'd rather watch it over Joe vs Kobashi and I was super into ROH at the time.

As I said before, Joe vs. Kobashi had a similar feel... just on a much, much smaller scale. So I ask... how does that match get a 5 star rating, when Rock vs. Hogan does not? Does Meltzer just have a boner for indie stuff? Did he do it to get Joe/ROH over? What am I missing here? Again, I have very little context for this match. I just watched the match and the Review a Wai.

There were two factors that made Joe vs Kobashi a dream match (although that's a very selective term for a match that was only really anticipated by indy wrestling fans) - firstly, Kobashi is one of the top 3 mega stars of 90's Japanese wrestling and was making his very first tour of the US. To fans of puroresu, this was a dream match no matter the opponent. Which brings me to my second point, Samoa Joe in 2005 was the perfect opponent for Kobashi. Joe had made a huge name for himself with his legendary ROH title run, and was considered one of the toughest, hardest working guys on the indies. The anticipation around Kobashi vs Joe wasn't to do with storytelling, or big, crazy spots. It was simply anticipation for Joe & Kobashi beating the hell out of each other. And in that respect, it delivered. Personally, I didn't consider it to be as good as everyone was rating, and removed from the anticipation for the match at the time it doesn't feel quite as special as it once did. Perhaps some of Meltzer's reaction to the match was to put over ROH & Joe, but it was probably more to do with Dave seeing one of his favourite wrestlers live on US soil.

Yesterday was a big day at Korakuen with DDT and New Japan shows.

Show of the day went to DDT. Not that New Japan's wasn't good DDT was able to involve and entertain me a bit more. The main of Omega v Generico was absolutely fantastic. Pretty sure I'm the only person to hit Final Battle last week and then yesterday's show!

Thanks to Jamie on here we went to several cool wrestling shops in the area. It's a blessing I'm xl right now because I want to buy everything bit nothing fits!

New Japan was cool to watch and was standing room only. They go pretty banana for everything. You can tell its more mainstream and sadly they didn't do any streamers which was weird compared to other shows.

About to head out to see JWP and what might be the last Noah show.

Also I found out the promo Fridat night that I didn't understand was Oneida saying FMW was returning for real in February.

Alucard

Banned

Show of the day went to DDT. Not that New Japan's wasn't good DDT was able to involve and entertain me a bit more. The main of Omega v Generico was absolutely fantastic. Pretty sure I'm the only person to hit Final Battle last week and then yesterday's show!

Thanks to Jamie on here we went to several cool wrestling shops in the area. It's a blessing I'm xl right now because I want to buy everything bit nothing fits!

New Japan was cool to watch and was standing room only. They go pretty banana for everything. You can tell its more mainstream and sadly they didn't do any streamers which was weird compared to other shows.

Also I found out the promo Fridat night that I didn't understand was Oneida saying FMW was returning for real in February.

I'm mega-jealous of this super trip of yours. Saw some pictures of Generico/Omega. Looked like a lot of fun. Generico is a true jet setter!

So, what were your top 5 matches from 2012 in all promotions?

1. Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki - (NJPW 10/08/12)
2. Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW 06/16/12)
3. Sheamus (c) vs Daniel Bryan - 2/3 Falls - (WWE 04/29/12)
4. Masakatsu Funaki (c) vs Suwama - (AJPW 09/23/12)
5. CM Punk (c) vs Daniel Bryan - (WWE 05/20/12)

Honourable mentions;

. El Generico (c) vs Isami Kodaka - (UNION 01/03/12)
. PAC vs Akira Tozawa - (DGUSA 01/27/12)
. Mike Quackenbush vs Green Ant - (CHIKARA 01/28/12)
. Masaaki Mochizuki vs Roderick Strong - (PWG 01/29/12)
. Kenny Omega (c) vs Kaz Hayashi - (AJPW 02/03/12)
. Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada - (NJPW 02/12/12)
. Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Tetsuya Naito - (NJPW 03/04/12)
. Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi (c) vs Suwama & Takumi Soya - (AJPW 03/20/12)
. Jun Akiyama (c) vs Keiji Mutoh - (AJPW 03/20/12)
. Eddie Kingston (c) vs Brodie Lee - (CHIKARA 03/25/12)
. Daisuke Sekimoto vs Yoshihito Sasaki- (BJW 03/26/12)
. Davey Richards (c) vs Michael Elgin - (ROH 03/30/12)
. Sara Del Rey vs El Generico - (CHIKARA 04/28/12)
. John Cena vs Brock Lesnar - (WWE 04/29/12)
. Kazuchika Okada (c) vs Hirooki Goto - (NJPW 05/03/12)
. Davey Richards (c) vs Kevin Steen - (ROH 05/12/12)
. Sara Del Rey vs Meiko Satomura - (CHIKARA 05/20/12)
. Hirooki Goto (c) vs Tomohiro Ishii - (NJPW 05/20/12)
. Fujita 'Jr' Hayato (c) vs Kenou - (M-Pro 06/03/12)
. Kevin Steen (c) vs Davey Richards - (ROH 06/24/12)
. Shinjiro Ohtani & Masato Tanaka vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima - (ZERO1 07/08/12)
. AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels - Last Man Standing - (TNA 07/08/12)
. CM Punk (c) vs Daniel Bryan - No DQ - (WWE 07/16/12)
. Super Smash Bros. (c) vs Future Shock vs The Young Bucks - (PWG 07/21/12)
. Eddie Kingston (c) vs Sara Del Rey - (CHIKARA 07/28/12)
. Bobbie Roode (c) vs Austin Aries - (TNA 07/28/12)
. Mr. Touchdown vs ACH - (CHIKARA 08/18/12)
. Adam Cole vs Michael Elgin - (PWG 09/02/12)
. CM Punk (c) vs John Cena - (WWE 09/16/12)
. Mr. Touchdown (c) vs Green Ant - (CHIKARA 10/06/12)
. Kota Ibushi (c) vs Low Ki - (NJPW 10/08/12)
. Kevin Steen (c) vs Michael Elgin - (ROH 10/16/12)
. El Generico (c) vs Kota Ibushi - (DDT 10/21/12)
. Michael Elgin (c) vs Sami Callihan - (AAW 10/26/12)
. Low Ki (c) vs Prince Devitt - (NJPW 11/11/12)
. Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Yujiro Takahashi - (NJPW 11/11/12)
. Kevin Steen (c) vs El Generico - (ROH 12/16/12)
. Ryback, Daniel Bryan & Kane vs The Shield - (WWE 12/16/12)

And probably a crap load more I'm forgetting. It's been a good year, imo.

Super jealous man, sounds like you're having an awesome time - can't wait to see that Generico/Omega match, and hope you have fun at JWP & NOAH!

tm24

I always figured it was a 5* match in the same way that Punk/Cena is a 5* match. Also, its always funny comparing MOTY lists with other people. My list vastly differs from Bootaaay's.

Also, this pic is great

NJPW122012P2.png

Top Bottom