• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Vince will be given a terminal diagnosis, then he'll sell the company to Disney like

NnM2HPr5RJOgIeIIR7n1_Bus%20Middle%20Finger.gif

Sephzilla

I fully believe Vince thinks Disney is just a company that produces Mickey Mouse cartoons for kids and doesn't know that Disney is a giant media empire that controls Marvel, ESPN, Star Wars, and so on.

Vince probably doesn't know what Star Wars is, either.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
WWE tying into the MCU would make me laugh

WWE ain't good enough for Marvel's MCU

They'd get Muppets treatment at BEST. Disney would only buy WWE on the cheap. Disney can have basically anyone if they want it and WWE aint worth that much to them.

I fully believe Vince thinks Disney is just a company that produces Mickey Mouse cartoons for kids and doesn't know that Disney is a giant media empire that controls Marvel, ESPN, Star Wars, and so on.

Vince probably doesn't know what Star Wars is, either.

Nah, Vince competes with ESPN, so he obviously knows what it is. And I'm betting DIsney came up during discussion of their TV deal.

jmdajr

Cena's getting more movies and SNL. They're actually very concerned he's going Hollywood

It's not like he's even on the show. At least with Cena you know he will always throw WWE a bone.
Rock for a long time wanted to do nothing with the E.

And maybe for him that was good?

2016-12-09-wwe-small-business-tactics-1.jpg

I definitely can see a New Generation-esque dark time for the WWE when Vince dies except with the decline of cable tv and the increase of other promotions for 'enthusiastic' fans which will make it even more of a fight. Even if Vince has blocked a lot of good ideas, Vince names has sway, Vince IS the WWE for all intents and purposes. I think they lose clout and a LOT of it when Vince dies whether that affects them creatively or not who is to say.

But I could see WWE, as a global brand, plummeting when Vince dies. I could see the TV deal gone or on some minor television network, I could see a world where they keep touring but only air PPVs and SNMEs or Clash of Champions style PPVs. I think Vince himself is what gives WWE the stakes at the table with major networks whether he's a crazy asshole or not. Vince is the guy they associate with those mega ratings of the Attitude Era and expect him and only him to bring those back.

So my biggest fear with all of this is the loss of the WWE Network. As corny as that sounds it's because the sheer lack of wrestling archiving outside of it. Say what you will about WWE and buying up territories but so much content is in their library and hands. Even in the age of OTP programming very few have huge archives that span multiple decades of material (if they do they have a lot of holes). It'd be a huge loss to have WWE go under, and The Network with it, and so much content "lost" until someone else buys it up; though if it's bought I doubt we'd see nearly as much, probably something more like netflix/hulu where it rotates.

If WWE the brand begins failing hard I really hope the Network can survive. Presumably the impact would be: Kill WWE studios, Drop CWC/205, cut back NXT travel/tapings, reduce PPVs.

jmdajr

So my biggest fear with all of this is the loss of the WWE Network. As corny as that sounds it's because the sheer lack of wrestling archiving outside of it. Say what you will about WWE and buying up territories but so much content is in their library and hands. Even in the age of OTP programming very few have huge archives that span multiple decades of material (if they do they have a lot of holes). It'd be a huge loss to have WWE go under, and The Network with it, and so much content "lost" until someone else buys it up; though if it's bought I doubt we'd see nearly as much, probably something more like netflix/hulu where it rotates.

If WWE the brand begins failing hard I really hope the Network can survive. Presumably the impact would be: Kill WWE studios, Drop CWC/205, cut back NXT travel/tapings, reduce PPVs.

No WWE Network would suck for sure. Wonder if someone would buy it and...not even have live wrestling anymore.

I guess Wrestling will always be alive just like videogames. It's just going to be very weird if WWE ever ceases to exist. It be like if Nintendo just ended one day.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I think in this kind of massive brand drop situation they'd keep the Network but
A) would put out more old stuff because they dont want to spend money on new stuff(which would be great for me)
B) put out network pricing tiers. A tier where you just want the current stuff(PPVs) which would probably be 9.99 and then for enthusiastic people they'd have a more expensive tier with those rumored indie shows and the old stuff.

I think in this kind of massive brand drop situation they'd keep the Network but
A) would put out more old stuff because they dont want to spend money on new stuff(which would be great for me)
B) put out network pricing tiers. A tier where you just want the current stuff(PPVs) which would probably be 9.99 and then for enthusiastic people they'd have a more expensive tier with those rumored indie shows and the old stuff.

Based on the Vice article, and common sense really, they HAVE to introduce tiers at this point. They went from making $50 per PPV buyer to $10, but also not increasing their viewership +5x. So......yeah, that's a BIG problem. I think going with 9.99, but a delay on current PPV is a good move. Maybe 24 hours? It screws over non viewers coming into RAW but that's just how it was in the past and it never hurt them. If people need to see it live they're going to pay. Maybe it's only $10 if you're a current subscribers, but $30 if you're not. It's still a loss but it helps the hemorrhaging a bit. I'd be really curious to know what people would bid for rights to stream the library outside of The Network, IE Amazon Prime or Hulu. WWE may loose 100K subs, but that could also play into the tiering aspect too. There's a ton you can do here.

That said the bigger issue they've increased production by 10 fold and they're just not getting the numbers back. Between the Studio, increased PPV, NXT and now CWC there is just so much money flowing out.

Some bits from Meltzer about the article:

Until Shane came back I didn't know the story at all [about the 2012 takeover attempt].

Even after, didn't know, but there were things told to me that are consistent with that but not told in detail, about Vince rebuffing him two times on a power play, so the other was in 2009 but I don't fully know details of that one either.

The TV storyline about the secret thing Shane had over Vince was an embellished version of the 2009 story, but I don't know more than that.

And a bit from Chris Harrington, who was interviewed for the article:

I spoke with the author many times over the past year about WWE financials, attendance trends, WWE Network development, leadership shakeups, China prospects and other topics. He was able to get a lot of interviews with people like George Barrios, Michelle Wilson and Brian Gewirtz that added a lot of perspective and soundbites. WWE really was giving him a full court press for months and months as they put this together. I don't think they're going to love how it all turned out.

Sephzilla

Are WrassleGAF ratings down this month or something?

Top Five WrassleGAF Posters said:
Bluekaveli 327
Data West 251
Sephzilla 213
BewareTheBatsie 172
Sweeney Tom 161
I'm in the top 5 this month and I'm not even watching WWE programming.

Are WrassleGAF ratings down this month or something?

I'm in the top 5 this month and I'm not even watching WWE programming.

It's December. If people are inside, it's either because they're snowed in or doing online shopping because "SHIT I FORGOT GIFTS", and if they're snowed in, they're doing online shopping because "SHIT I FORGOT GIFTS"

Unless big news breaks this place isn't getting packed until at least the 26th, maybe the 25th for loot brags. Road Block 2 sure isn't drawing ratings

Nekofrog

Banned
Ember moon should be a monster in every sense of the word. She should be decimating the ranks of the women's division in nxt as asuka sits atop her mountain of skulls, in her castle of pain, on her throne of blood, watching with excitement as the challenger ember moon looks to present the kind of fight asuka hasnt faced in nxt. And it should thrill her. Monster vs monster, vy am I drippings vith goo

Ember can smile, but it needs to not be the happy to be here smile. It needs to be the "you're lucky I'm not going to kill you while you're in here with me for 4 minutes" evil smile.

I need to stop fantasy booking I get too excited

WWE will continue to decline until they have a major shake up and the only think big enough is Vince and the old guard leaving.

Even after that Triple H and the NXT guys taking over isnt a magic bullet. You just need to watch how boring NXT has been for the last year to realize that they are not immune to driving feuds into the ground like main roster WWE also is.

Even then, even if you get Vince, Dunn and that entire crowd out tomorrow it will still take years of captivating programming to earn back the brand value that was lost and if the TV deal renewal happens before that they are still fucked.

But also given the direction america is going these days I think Vince probably wants to stick around and I wouldnt expect him to decide to retire or take a lesser role any time soon.

jmdajr

50 years from now how will this carny business be remembered?

Hell maybe it will have died and risen a few times by then.

Sephzilla

Both HHH and Shane strike me as people that would be supportive of a big shake up that revamps the image of the company and the product. Dunn and Steph seem to be the ones who want to cling to the status quo

Zach

I've kicked Sephzilla out of The WrassleGAF Super Group. I am now the only member.*

*The door is still open for Data West to join, though. The back door.

WWE will continue to decline until they have a major shake up and the only think big enough is Vince and the old guard leaving.

Even after that Triple H and the NXT guys taking over isnt a magic bullet. You just need to watch how boring NXT has been for the last year to realize that they are not immune to driving feuds into the ground like main roster WWE also is.

Even then, even if you get Vince, Dunn and that entire crowd out tomorrow it will still take years of captivating programming to earn back the brand value that was lost and if the TV deal renewal happens before that they are still fucked.

But also given the direction america is going these days I think Vince probably wants to stick around and I wouldnt expect him to decide to retire or take a lesser role any time soon.

Yes but NXT was kinda gutted of its roster, writers, etc........

Both HHH and Shane strike me as people that would be supportive of a big shake up that revamps the image of the company and the product. Dunn and Steph seem to be the ones who want to cling to the status quo

I got that a little about HHH, but there was enough in there to make me think he doesn't know the right things though. Much like Shane.

Sephzilla

Honestly, I think Bischoff would fucking thrive in modern WWE. His biggest problem was that he kind of fell prey to the politicking of late 90s WCW with Hogan and Nash and those guys. Considering that the modern WWE roster is mostly guys who just want a spot and seem to be way less awful about that kind of shit than guys in the past, I think Bischoff would mostly be able to do what he wanted without so much meddling from the talent.*

* Assuming Vince wouldn't fuck him over

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The back to belly piledriver is probably the lamest looking indie finisher of all time.

I hate that it survived the shitty indie movez boom.

Top Bottom