• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Sephzilla

This might be a shoot but I think Jericho being the first undisputed champ was a mistake. Jericho honestly wasn't that entertaining either in match quality or promo quality, at least compared to some of his other incarnations. It should have been either Austin or Rock.

Yes but NXT was kinda gutted of its roster, writers, etc........

Irrelevant. The guy you all want to run the company, who runs NXT, wanted the roster members who were called up called up because he felt they were ready. The writers who moved on wanted to move on and were deemed ready.

You want HHH to run the company because he runs NXT well, then you criticize the decisions made and call it a poor touring brand. Not saying I disagree that the decisions are poor and it was a terrible choice to tour, but um...how do I say this...that is not running a brand or company well.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Kendrick v Tony Nese was awesome but the fast tap kinda ruined the ending, looked weird.

Still Kendrick bounced all over the ring for Nese's stuff which was fun.

Nese can do all the flippy shit and he looks like Vince's wet dreams so im surprised he's not pushed to the moon tbh :3

Luschient

Wow this is cool when they bought wcw, Rock, Booker, and Taker were given a few of the rings. Kinda cool. Taker has a wwe too.

After a quick search, it looks like you could buy a replica ring for around $5k if one were so inclined.

Real talk, if $$/space weren't an issue, would anyone buy a ring for your backyard or wherever? I probably would, but then what?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Not a finisher
tumblr_ohp4j75CM21qivspno1_400.gif

Is a finisher
35ya54D.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Rich Swann v Lince Dorado. Im excited.

Edit: it was good, needed more time :/

Yes but NXT was kinda gutted of its roster, writers, etc........

Poor excuse for NXT in my opinion. HHH runs NXT, he hired all these indy stars and the product is still not that great. Further, hiring 35+ year old guys for the developmental organization isn't exactly how you improve your product.

It's barely 1. Why won't this day end dudes

It's almost 5pm on my end, and I worked from home today which means my day is actually ending at 5 instead of 7pm.

Sephzilla

Poor excuse for NXT in my opinion. HHH runs NXT, he hired all these indy stars and the product is still not that great. Further, hiring 35+ year old guys for the developmental organization isn't exactly how you improve your product.

I can't see how you can fault HHH for this. NXT's womens and tag team divisions were left absolutely barren thanks to the draft.

Cosmozone

Who writes for NXT now anyways? Definitely not Triple H himself. I think he's good with recruiting and handling talent but I don't think he's overly creative.

Rhaknar

Yooooo this Zack Sabre Jr v Drew Gulak fight is amazing. It was also really cool contrast after the high flying stuff on Swann/Lunce before.

I want Sabre vs Galhagar tbh.

I kinda hope that before Vinny Mac pops his clogs he'll have one last run where he's like insane do-rag McMahon of 2007 except this time the character is for real and he just keeps coming out during Raw being batshit insane and no one can stop him or he fires them on the spot.

NXT overachieved and now they are trying to plug the hole with indies favs and 35 year olds to make it a draw.

Should have turned it into its own thing years ago Instead of continuing to half ass it, kind of like what marvel did with the ultimate universe

Sephzilla

How much longer until WWE has to start up a developmental for NXT?

NXT is pretty much going to hard reset back into a pure developmental territory one Nakamura, Joe, Asuka, and Roode get called up. And given all of their ages, that's going to be sooner rather than later. With the exception of maybe Tye Dillinger, Ciampa, and Gargano, there's a pretty substantial dropoff after those 4 talents.

I can't see how you can fault HHH for this. NXT's womens and tag team divisions were left absolutely barren thanks to the draft.

Well that's kind of furthering my point when it comes to HHH and his product. He had no one else developed to take the space of those left and instead had to go hire established wrestlers. Could also argue NXT did a poor job with the stars they let go (Carmella, and Nia specifically).

I'm mostly trying to say if you're just saying "NXT is good, therefore Haitch will be good" you're not evaluating the full product.

After a quick search, it looks like you could buy a replica ring for around $5k if one were so inclined.

Real talk, if $$/space weren't an issue, would anyone buy a ring for your backyard or wherever? I probably would, but then what?
I always wanted one and still do. I'd probably use it for sparing.

cdViking

Based on the Vice article, and common sense really, they HAVE to introduce tiers at this point. They went from making $50 per PPV buyer to $10, but also not increasing their viewership +5x. So......yeah, that's a BIG problem. I think going with 9.99, but a delay on current PPV is a good move. Maybe 24 hours? It screws over non viewers coming into RAW but that's just how it was in the past and it never hurt them. If people need to see it live they're going to pay. Maybe it's only $10 if you're a current subscribers, but $30 if you're not. It's still a loss but it helps the hemorrhaging a bit. I'd be really curious to know what people would bid for rights to stream the library outside of The Network, IE Amazon Prime or Hulu. WWE may loose 100K subs, but that could also play into the tiering aspect too. There's a ton you can do here.

That said the bigger issue they've increased production by 10 fold and they're just not getting the numbers back. Between the Studio, increased PPV, NXT and now CWC there is just so much money flowing out.
Your calculation is off on the revenue balance between the Network/PPV models. The PPV stream hasn't completely dried up; even if its numbers are only 10% of what they were before, that's significant. They also don't pocket $50; there's a large royalty paid to the distributor and cable companies (40%-50% of receipts). The PPV buy rate also isn't as large as the Network audience; WrestleMania's largest ever buy rate was 1.2 million buys, and normal buy rates were way lower.

Even with the WWE's failure to hit its forecasted subscriber figure, they had revenue growth in excess of nearly 20% last year and significant improvement in operating margin. The issue isn't the change in operating model, but rather the development of content to be distributed, and it's poor governance to have a one man show.

I always wanted one and still do. I'd probably use it for sparing.

Don't lie, you'd make it your living room.

Your calculation is off on the revenue balance between the Network/PPV models. The PPV stream hasn't completely dried up; even if its numbers are only 10% of what they were before, that's significant. They also don't pocket $50; there's a large royalty paid to the distributor and cable companies (40%-50% of receipts). The PPV buy rate also isn't as large as the Network audience; WrestleMania's largest ever buy rate was 1.2 million buys, and normal buy rates were way lower.

Even with the WWE's failure to hit its forecasted subscriber figure, they had revenue growth in excess of nearly 20% last year and significant improvement in operating margin. The issue isn't the change in operating model, but rather the development of content to be distributed, and it's poor governance to have a one man show.

My PPV comment was based specifically on the comments in the VICE article. I also believe the article points out the growth and how it's not apples to apples growth.

Sephzilla

Well that's kind of furthering my point when it comes to HHH and his product. He had no one else developed to take the space of those left and instead had to go hire established wrestlers. Could also argue NXT did a poor job with the stars they let go (Carmella, and Nia specifically).

I'm mostly trying to say if you're just saying "NXT is good, therefore Haitch will be good" you're not evaluating the full product.

Pretty much no company is going to survive a talent raid like that though without a major dip in quality for a bit. Shit, even WWE barely survived when WCW was raiding people. For about the last 6 months up to that draft, NXT was getting raided faster than it could produce new stars.

Pretty much no company is going to survive a talent raid like that though without a major dip in quality for a bit. Shit, even WWE barely survived when WCW was raiding people.

At the end of the day, you can only put what you got out there, and NXT circa 2014 may never be replicated again.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So my biggest fear with all of this is the loss of the WWE Network. As corny as that sounds it's because the sheer lack of wrestling archiving outside of it. Say what you will about WWE and buying up territories but so much content is in their library and hands. Even in the age of OTP programming very few have huge archives that span multiple decades of material (if they do they have a lot of holes). It'd be a huge loss to have WWE go under, and The Network with it, and so much content "lost" until someone else buys it up; though if it's bought I doubt we'd see nearly as much, probably something more like netflix/hulu where it rotates.

If WWE the brand begins failing hard I really hope the Network can survive. Presumably the impact would be: Kill WWE studios, Drop CWC/205, cut back NXT travel/tapings, reduce PPVs.

I'm like 99% sure some wrestling nut's already archived everything on the Network.

ngower

Does WWE own the rights to use Cult of Personality? Cause I was thinking about ridiculous heel heat things they could do at the Rumble and thought about the Miz or Corbin coming out to CoP. Alternatively: Miz coming out to DBry's music.

Sephzilla

Does WWE own the rights to use Cult of Personality? Cause I was thinking about ridiculous heel heat things they could do at the Rumble and thought about the Miz or Corbin coming out to CoP. Alternatively: Miz coming out to DBry's music.

I doubt it since Punk used it for his UFC walk up music

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Maybe Dunn won't have as much influence on Shane, who knows?

I know nothing about the business nor the actual people, but I hope Shane takes over only because he is my avatar. #TeamShane

Shane doesn't own enough of the company to take over. It depends how Vince disposes of his stock when he dies given that he has a special class of stock that has all the voting power.

Top Bottom