• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

I wouldn't mind WWE coming under increased scrutiny due to Linda McMahon's appointment in our godforsaken government. I mean, long-term. This is obviously a good thing for them short-term.

Specifically, I'm talking about wrasslers being "independent contractors" without the same freedom of independent contractors. Among other things.
Yeah the company came under a lot scrutiny when Linda was just running as senator, it's going to be far more intense now she's actually in government. That can only be a good thing.

The bit about the secret meeting with Shane coming in and offering to take over the entirety of creative as a consulting firm, and Steph and Hunter losing their shit is pretty nuts.

But in my watching of that era Cena has a personality, he's exciting to see come out of the back. Masters was just there and posing.

Also Carlitos theme is awful. Just downright awful
Dude masters had a great upside and he kept improving. Michaels saw something in him but like I said, he was dropped.

Carlito's music ruled lol

Sephzilla

I don't think WWE is going to get as scrutinized as it did during Linda's senate attempts, because that scrutiny was done to prevent Linda from getting an office. There is no "election" for this position she's being handed.

Kaladin

Vice news is telling Wrasslin' fans that Santa doesn't exist here.

But, on July 28, three and a half months after WrestleMania 32, WWE released its quarterly report—a mandatory, all-encompassing document that lets the Security Exchange Commission, shareholders, and the public know how the company is functioning, both logistically and financially. An analysis of the report shows that WrestleMania 32 attendance was not, in fact, the 101,763 figure that WWE had been throwing around. It wasn't even in the six figures. According to the documents, the actual paid live attendance for the event was between 74,000 and 86,000. "As long as they don't lie about the financials, they aren't committing fraud," said Chris Harrington, an independent WWE business analyst.

WWE has been doing this for years. There is a discrepancy between attendance numbers submitted to the SEC and those touted in press releases for every single WrestleMania dating back to at least 2008, with an average inflation of about 15,000 spectators. And in 2001, respected wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer, writing for his publication Wrestling Observer Newsletter, reported that numbers for WrestleMania III, the event's previous longstanding record, were knowingly fudged. WWE boosted the numbers by more than 13,000 spectators. Meltzer claimed that Vince told him as much—that the numbers shown on television are for "entertainment purposes only."

Inflating attendance numbers exemplifies Vince's approach to the business, doing whatever it takes to maintain a certain image. Moreover, it continues to blur the line between WWE as a real-life, publicly traded corporation and the WWE that exists as it appears on television. Much like how Vince has created a fictionalized version of his family, he seems to have done the same with his company.

Striker

But in my watching of that era Cena has a personality, he's exciting to see come out of the back. Masters was just there and posing.

Also Carlitos theme is awful. Just downright awful
Cena's in the Marine mode, I think? 2005 ish. He's young and hasn't hit 10+ title reigns, you bet he was motivated to prove something.

As for Masters' gimmick

Mordetzky credits Matt Morgan for creating the "Masterpiece" gimmick, and said Vince McMahon encouraged him to emulate former wrestler Paul Orndorff.

Throwback Friday:

wwef_36945369_th_64.jpg

klonere

Banned
That VICE article is fantastic, great breakdown into the challenges faced by the company.

The biggest challenge is Vince, unsurprisingly

I've been watching Surivor Series since 2000 and decided to skip right through 02-05 based on the matches. I'm into the final match for 05 am wondering who in the hell green light Chris Masters "masterpiece" character? It's literally a Lex Luger rip off and it's vanilla as fuck.

Also this is the best the RAW roster could put out there? WOOF. I'm guessing i'm close to entering the worst period of WWE?

Hey SS 02 and 03 aren't that bad at all, why it's all downhill from there.

Masters was actually getting over I thought in that time period, but they started fumbling both him and Carlito early 06.
At least the build for SS05 had Kane and Big Show murking everyone, the more things change the more they stay the same.

Great article from VICE. Totally unsurprising that Vince is the root of a lot of the issues with the company. What is surprising is how many people actually want Shane (and now we know Dunn by extension) to run the company. It's a sentiment I am seeing around and I am completely baffled by it.

Yo

Shoooooooooot

But Levesque's vision of what a performer should be doesn't always correlate with what the corporation needs to keep ratings up and money coming in. "He's an old-school guy—a true wrestler," the same senior-level executive told me. "But look at the ratings. Where are the stars? Smart marks love these characters, but that's not the audience that drives a giant business

Sephzilla

Shane's return was a power play attempt by Kevin Dunn to wrestle some power away from Stephanie and HHH?

Z69BbUu.gif

I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, fuck Stephanie. On the other hand, fuck Dunn.

Caderfix

Great article from VICE. Totally unsurprising that Vince is the root of a lot of the issues with the company. What is surprising is how many people actually want Shane (and now we know Dunn by extension) to run the company. It's a sentiment I am seeing around and I am completely baffled by it.

But as far as I remember, people tend to say Steph is bad for business and is not liked by anyone, and hunter has a bad rep as well. I think it's pretty understandable people want someone with experience outside of his father's company and that doesn't treat everyone bad.

klonere

Banned
what was the attendance number for All-Japan's Ryogoku show, anybody know?

They announced 6500 which is definitely a fishy Dragon Gate esque number. But if they did anywhere close to that (like more than 2.5k+) its great for them in any case, worked number or not.

Sephzilla

WWE's post-Vince future basically boils down to two solutions

1) Shane takes over, but that means Dunn sticks around most likely

2) Dunn is gone, but Stephanie takes over

latest

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They announced 6500 which is definitely a fishy Dragon Gate esque number. But if they did anywhere close to that (like more than 2.5k+) its great for them in any case, worked number or not.

Onita draws. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the number. They built up Suwama and Miyahara forever.

Caderfix

WWE's post-Vince future basically boils down to two solutions

1) Shane takes over, but that means Dunn sticks around most likely

2) Dunn is gone, but Stephanie takes over

latest

Maybe Dunn won't have as much influence on Shane, who knows?

I know nothing about the business nor the actual people, but I hope Shane takes over only because he is my avatar. #TeamShane

But as far as I remember, people tend to say Steph is bad for business and is not liked by anyone, and hunter has a bad rep as well. I think it's pretty understandable people want someone with experience outside of his father's company and that doesn't treat everyone bad.

Steph has a bad rep as a creative mind, and she doesn't run that side anymore. She did for a long while though.

As for Hunter, most reports are that he has a great rep with the talent as he's seen as way more approachable than Vince. And we at least have hard and solid evidence that he knows how to run a wrestling show with NXT.

There is absolutely zero evidence that Shane knows how to run a business or a wrestling show. None. His Chinese company went pretty much nowhere.

Sephzilla

Steph has a bad rep as a creative mind, and she doesn't run that side anymore. She did for a long while though.

As for Hunter, most reports are that he has a great rep with the talent as he's seen as way more approachable than Vince. And we at least have hard and solid evidence that he knows how to run a wrestling show with NXT.

There is absolutely zero evidence that Shane knows how to run a business or a wrestling show. None. His Chinese company went pretty much nowhere.

Didn't WWE Network originally start as a Shane McMahon idea?

Didn't WWE Network originally start as a Shane McMahon idea?

No. Shane had an idea in 2006 that the ECW revival should be a WWE website exclusive show. And given the TV landscape relative to the availability of adequate streaming platforms, that sounds like it would have went terribly.

Caderfix

That's the thing they point out, they don't want someone who can run a wrestling promotion and don't even care about how they interact with the locker room, they want someone who can run a business. Shane having experience somewhere else is most likely why he's being pushed by some. Even if he didn't achieve great success in China, he still has the experience of someone who worked in a real company in a real world.

That's what I think, at least.

That's the thing they point out, they don't want someone who can run a wrestling promotion and don't even care about how they interact with the locker room, they want someone who can run a business. Shane having experience somewhere else is most likely why he's being pushed by some.

But his experience elsewhere was a relative failure. I'd rather have the Steph/Hunter combo where the business side is an unknown and the creative side is solid than the Shane option where he has a terrible reputation creatively (according to Meltzer it's laughably bad) and a bad track record from a business standpoint.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

You can't judge Shane as a businessman and then judge Hunter as a wrestling fan. I'm sure there are bike owners who bought bikes from Shane's company that talk about the 'workrate' of the bikes were great even if the company didn't go anywhere. WWE has been on a consistent downhill drop in revenue, advertising, and ratings with Stephanie and Hunter at the helm. NXT hasn't gained them any money which is why they want to tour with it.

Heyman said Shane was the one who wanted to do a weekly live internet show long before anyone else at WWE and that Shane wanted to do stuff with the UFC before the UFC got massive. And you mention the Triple H being approachable thing, during the Attitude Era most of the locker room considered Shane 'one of the boys' when Triple H was being separated and protected from his peers.

Maybe Dunn won't have as much influence on Shane, who knows?

I know nothing about the business nor the actual people, but I hope Shane takes over only because he is my avatar. #TeamShane

Dunn's evil
Steph's evil
HHH is evil
Shane is incompetent

That's literally the WWE's options, post-Vince. The best choice, by far, is the guy who took his stocks out one day and peaced out to China for a few years to run an unsuccessful company (YOU On Demand, a PPV/VOD service that tried to be the Comcast On Demand or Netflix of China in terms of success and fell far short by all means)

klonere

Banned
Everyone of these geeks need to see this shit.

That bullshit doesn't draw or sell, gimmicks do. Please bring back the old McMahon cabinet.

You nonce, the entire thrust of the article is '...but everything goes through Vince and he has the final say'. So Vince is fucking himself.

He's lost it, he's well and truly lost it. And I kinda agree with the assessment of Hunter as well - they are struggling to pick out stars and utterly failing current talent by writing absolute and utter horseshit for most of them.

Sephzilla

I still think Shane is the best choice for running WWE in the future because he's the only one of them who has any sort of real-world experience. Stephanie has pretty much exclusively been under the WWE bubble and sheltered by nepotism.

Caderfix

Dunn's evil
Steph's evil
HHH is evil
Shane is incompetent

That's literally the WWE's options, post-Vince. The best choice, by far, is the guy who took his stocks out one day and peaced out to China for a few years to run an unsuccessful company (YOU On Demand, a PPV/VOD service that tried to be the Comcast On Demand or Netflix of China in terms of success and fell far short by all means)

That's a good rundown of the situation, man haha

You can't judge Shane as a businessman and then judge Hunter as a wrestling fan. I'm sure there are bike owners who bought bikes from Shane's company that talk about the 'workrate' of the bikes were great even if the company didn't go anywhere. WWE has been on a consistent downhill drop in revenue, advertising, and ratings with Stephanie and Hunter at the helm. NXT hasn't gained them any money which is why they want to tour with it.

Heyman said Shane was the one who wanted to do a weekly live internet show long before anyone else at WWE and that Shane wanted to do stuff with the UFC before the UFC got massive. And you mention the Triple H being approachable thing, during the Attitude Era most of the locker room considered Shane 'one of the boys' when Triple H was being separated and protected from his peers.

Pretty much.

One sucked at running a business, one hasn't gotten that chance. The one who sucked looks far better, because if he's pushed aside, he's not coming back unless you beg AND plead. And if that ship sinks because of that choice to cast him out, there's nobody there to save it.

It's a huge gamble with far worse consequences than any they've faced in decades if it goes wrong, and it's unsurprising that we've already heard reports of stockholders keeping a realllllllly close eye on exit options if Steph/HHH get the keys. Because they expect it to go wrong.

Heyman said Shane was the one who wanted to do a weekly live internet show long before anyone else at WWE and that Shane wanted to do stuff with the UFC before the UFC got massive.

I can judge them differently because that's the sides of the business they would control if it went either way. Shane is not a creative mind. He has a terrible reputation for it. He's likely run mostly the business side if he took over. So I am judging him on his business history. Hunter would likely stay away from the business aspects and focus on creative, so I judge him on that. And he has a great track record recently. Stephanie is the unknown here and she would be running the business end of things. And we just don't know what she would be.

And there is no "Hunter and Steph at the helm" now, that article made that abundantly clear. Any drop in ratings, merchandise, and gates has to do with Vince because Vince is the be all end all.

And doing the "online ECW" idea in 2006 would have been terrible. Network infrastructure and video streaming capabilities were terrible at that time. It was a decent idea in concept, but there was no way to execute it properly at the time, especially so when compared to the option of putting the show on TV.

As for your Attitude Era edit, it doesn't matter how Hunter was perceived fifteen years ago. It is 100% irrelevant to today. What matters is now, and now he has a great reputation as someone the talent can approach and work with.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You also have to keep in mind from a lot of former office keepers interviews,

Stephanie has only ever done WWE. And Stephanie has ALWAYS been protected. She's probably made a twenty or thirty bad decisions that you don't know about because WWE compartmentalizes so deep that they can throw it on someone else and let it pass through the grapevine that it was never Stephanie's fault. That it was Steve in Accounting's.

Someone who has gone out and tried to do something by themselves solo vs someone who has been protected from any criticisms and backlash due to the company she works for when your business is stagnating and failing consistently. The thing you need is risks. Not the person who just keeps the boat sailing and letting it slowly but surely take on more water.

MC Safety

There's a neat quote in that Vice article about how they write for the week in the WWE and not for the future.

"'All Vince cares about is that night's show—not 15 weeks later, like how all other television shows work,' a former senior-level executive said. 'That's why you see astute followers pulling their hair out. There's no guiding principle other than that Vince is a carnival barker—a promoter of a live event product.'"

You also have to keep in mind from a lot of former office keepers interviews,

Stephanie has only ever done WWE. And Stephanie has ALWAYS been protected. She's probably made a twenty or thirty bad decisions that you don't know about because WWE compartmentalizes so deep that they can throw it on someone else and let it pass through the grapevine that it was never Stephanie's fault. That it was Steve in Accounting's.

Someone who has gone out and tried to do something by themselves solo vs someone who has been protected from any criticisms and backlash due to the company she works for when your business is stagnating and failing consistently. The thing you need is risks. Not the person who just keeps the boat sailing and letting it slowly but surely take on more water.

Again, you can theoretically year Steph down all you want, but the fact of the matter is she is a total unknown. We can sit here and come up with "well maybe this happened" and "well maybe this will happen", but we don't know.

With Shane, we know. He tried to run a successful company and failed. When he was in WWE, his creative ideas were seen as a terrible joke both by talent and management. Shane is a known quantity and that quantity is terrible.

Sephzilla

From WWE's perspective Stephanie is not an unknown. She's been with the company for years at this point and most of the higher up executives have likely seen what she's made of and what her abilities are.

Kaladin

I'd argue Stephanie has had more success than Shane in the business world, but Stephanie's success comes mostly as a PR person, and not an on screen character or whatever she is backstage.

From WWE's perspective Stephanie is not an unknown

She's not to them, but to us she is. We've heard nothing from within the company about how good or bad she is. That's the point. If we are balancing whether it would be better for Shane/Dunn to end up in control or Hunter/Steph, I'd pick Hunter and Steph 1000 times out of 1000 given what we know and past performance.

Shane/Dunn = at best shaky business leadership and bad creative

Hunter/Steph = unknown business leadership (maybe terrible, maybe good) and good to great creative

Top Bottom