• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They had to bring in Mickie James in order to give her anyone credible to fight at the last Takeover.

That's because they waited to debut Ember Moon until August instead of having her start working her way up while Bayley was still around. Of course, Ember's problem is that she mostly comes in and works over enhancement talent and doesn't create any semblance of a character beyond "smiles and flips and top rope stunners."

Nikki Cross already has more of a character than Asuka does, and all she does is bite stuff and make adorable little angry faces.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
TJP v Johnny Gargano was hot fire. The CWC is really a must see damn. Even with the somewhat lackluster round 1 matches (and even those had some scorchers).

klonere

Banned
I know he's based in the US for now but I hope some Brit indies start booking Martin Stone. He's in incredible shape and his style meshes so well with guys like Travis Banks, Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne et al. as well as all the flippy do guys.

CzQZH8bUcAAaN-V.jpg

Ithil

Who writes for NXT now anyways? Definitely not Triple H himself. I think he's good with recruiting and handling talent but I don't think he's overly creative.

How it used to work was HHH would determine the direction for everything, then Dusty would book the actual shows to carry that out, then Ryan Ward would write the scripts for the shows and HHH would approve them. Dusty is gone and Ward is on Smackdown now, but I assume the process remains the same but with different people.

That's in theory how it's supposed to work on the main roster, but Vince just seems to demand nonstop rewrites then just rewrite everything himself anyway.

Kaladin

If you could bring people back to NXT, who would you pick?

For me:

Sami Zayn
Cesaro
Neville
American Alpha
Becky Lynch
Nia Jax
Bayley

Those 7 alone would revitalize the brand and fill in holes. I'd also freeze the current roster as is. Imagine Zayn vs Nakamura II for Nakamura's title. Joe vs Neville, or Cesaro vs Joe. American Alpha vs DIY vs The Revival in the tag division.

Guys that are floundering on Raw and Smackdown should be given a chance to come back to the smaller playing field of NXT to make a bigger name for themselves than they currently are.

somedevil

NXT as enough talent right now as it is. The only division drained was the women's. Here is the roster right now:

Singles:

Roode, Tye, Cien, Strong, Samson, Itami, Buddy Murphy, No Way, Oney Lorcan, Samoa Joe and Nakamura, Wesley Blake and Patrick Clark

Tag:

Sanity, DIY, Revival, Authors of Pain, TM-61 and Heavy Machinery

They still haven't debuted Tommy End as well.

Kaladin

Hah. The only WWE theme song to make it into my most played of 2016 playlist on Spotify is Bobby Roode's theme. I know I've listened to more than that though.

Heroman

Banned
One of problems with NXT is that they can't train to be as good as the dudes they hire and are in the top spot right now, it makes no sense that Joe and Nakamura are the top guys in a development promotion

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One of problems with NXT is that they can't train to be as good as the dudes they hire and are in the top spot right now, it makes no sense that Joe and Nakamura are the top guys in a development promotion

It's not really a development program.

Angry Grimace

WWE will continue to decline until they have a major shake up and the only think big enough is Vince and the old guard leaving.

Even after that Triple H and the NXT guys taking over isnt a magic bullet. You just need to watch how boring NXT has been for the last year to realize that they are not immune to driving feuds into the ground like main roster WWE also is.

Even then, even if you get Vince, Dunn and that entire crowd out tomorrow it will still take years of captivating programming to earn back the brand value that was lost and if the TV deal renewal happens before that they are still fucked.

But also given the direction america is going these days I think Vince probably wants to stick around and I wouldnt expect him to decide to retire or take a lesser role any time soon.

That's because NXT literally has to rebuild from the ground up every six months because the guys who get over are taken away from the promotion. They really need those smaller "TakeOver" specials to blow off feuds though. If you only run 5 PPVs a year you can't have it go Match, Rematch, Rematch, Rematch.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That's because NXT literally has to rebuild from the ground up every six months because the guys who get over are taken away from the promotion. They really need those smaller "TakeOver" specials to blow off feuds though. If you only run 5 PPVs a year you can't have it go Match, Rematch, Rematch, Rematch.

AAW and Evolve have to do the same thing without any of the financial backing NXT has and they do a better job of it.

I've heard similar of Progress as well.

Angry Grimace

AAW and Evolve have to do the same thing without any of the financial backing NXT has and they do a better job of it.

I've heard similar of Progress as well.

I mean, part of the problem is you have no idea how long someone will be there and to some extent, the characters are guided by their main roster prospects. Indie promotions at least have some idea of how long they have access to a wrestler.

I mean, the biggest problem they have is that they literally don't have anyone that's good enough to main event a TakeOver if you got rid of Samoa Joe and Shinsuke Nakamura.

As a lapsed fan from about 1998-2016, I had no idea WWE was doing shit like mankind vs edge and mankind vs randy orton in these semi-deathmatch things.

Anth0ny

WWE will continue to decline until they have a major shake up and the only think big enough is Vince and the old guard leaving.

Even after that Triple H and the NXT guys taking over isnt a magic bullet. You just need to watch how boring NXT has been for the last year to realize that they are not immune to driving feuds into the ground like main roster WWE also is.

Even then, even if you get Vince, Dunn and that entire crowd out tomorrow it will still take years of captivating programming to earn back the brand value that was lost and if the TV deal renewal happens before that they are still fucked.

But also given the direction america is going these days I think Vince probably wants to stick around and I wouldnt expect him to decide to retire or take a lesser role any time soon.

Nxt is boring because the main roster steals their writers and talent.

Hunters ideas are almost always good. He does nxt or cruiserweight classic, it's great, then they go to the main roster to get ruined.

If hunter had full control and the old fucks who know nothing about wrestling are out of the picture, the main product would be MUCH more enjoyable. Maybe not perfect, maybe not as exciting as your favourite era, but a fuck load more coherent and enjoyable than the current product is now under Vince.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I mean, part of the problem is you have no idea how long someone will be there and to some extent, the characters are guided by their main roster prospects. Indie promotions at least have some idea of how long they have access to a wrestler.

I mean, the biggest problem they have is that they literally don't have anyone that's good enough to main event a TakeOver if you got rid of Samoa Joe and Shinsuke Nakamura.

Indie promoters have FAR less of an idea of how long they'll have someone compared to NXT. NXT's head works with people on the main roster. They know who's going when. Indie promoters only have sheetz to go on

Someone could get a call from Regal at any second in the indies. If anything, the bigger program you have for them, the more they get over, the more likely you get signed mid-push after the promoter put a bunch of hype in your storyline

Adree

Nxt is boring because the main roster steals their writers and talent.

Hunters ideas are almost always good. He does nxt or cruiserweight classic, it's great, then they go to the main roster to get ruined.

If hunter had full control and the old fucks who know nothing about wrestling are out of the picture, the main product would be MUCH more enjoyable. Maybe not perfect, maybe not as exciting as your favourite era, but a fuck load more coherent and enjoyable than the current product is now under Vince.

Yeah it's worth noting that the former lead NXT writer is on Smackdown now (and it shows.) Sara Del Ray is on Raw working with the women.

somedevil

No, I sayinh that for 90 percent they are just a average indie promotion that occasionally put on a great show I mean there were only four NXT takeover shows this year.

You say that but it has won best weekly show the last 3 years in the observer vote. So it seems a lot of people have been enjoying the show the last 3 years.

Heroman

Banned
You say that but it has won best weekly show the last 3 years in the observer vote. So it seems a lot of people have been enjoying the show the last 3 years.
When the only real competition is tna and Ra w of course tna wins and nxt was way better last year and the years before.

Nobody can watch LU, nobody does watch TNA, few watch ROH, Raw is 3 hours, and SD has had nothing worth watching until this year. Really overvaluing the difficulty it takes to stand out among that pack

I think the kind of people that would vote in an Observer poll would be the same kind of people to find and watch Lucha Underground, NXT still won.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think the kind of people that would vote in an Observer poll would be the same kind of people to find and watch Lucha Underground, NXT still won.

Observer boards have never been heavily invested in Lucha. Dave barely even covers it and the kind of people who vote on the Observer polls are usually the people who take Daves word as gospel.

somedevil

Yep here are the results for the last 3 years:

2015:

BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW
1. WWE Nxt (347) 3,148
2. Lucha Underground (410) 3,112

2014:

BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW
1. WWE Nxt (416): 2,961
2. Ring of Honor (175): 1,744
3. Lucha Underground (106): 1,369

2013:

BEST WEEKLY TV SHOW
1. WWE Nxt (172) 1,837
2. WWE Raw (113) 1,210
3. Dragon Gate Infinity (83) 844

So people found a way to watch it last year if the results were that close. This voting is done by hardcore fans who find a way to watch these shows.

Angry Grimace

No, I sayinh that for 90 percent they are just a average indie promotion that occasionally put on a great show I mean there were only four NXT takeover shows this year.
Five, actually.

Five, actually.
There's only been 4 this year.

NXT TakeOver: Dallas April 1, 2016
NXT TakeOver: The End June 8, 2016
NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II August 20, 2016
NXT TakeOver: Toronto November 19, 2016

Something happened with NXT right around the time Joe got involved in the main event, before that you had 5 or 6 people gunning for the title with guys like Sami Zayn, Neville, Tyler Breeze, Hideo Itami, Finn & Kevin Owens all in the main event scene.

Now the Main Event scene is Nakamura, Joe and Bobby Roode. Just below them is Tye Dillinger and Eric Young I guess if they let him and Sanity run wild, and as much as I love Tye I can't see him beating someone like Joe or Nakamura.

Someone like Dillinger beating Joe/Nak is precisely what needs to happen to shake it up.
Like I get that guys like Joe/Nak/Roode should be on the main roster, they are ready and them being in NXT hurts all the guys below them but they want NXT to be able to tour and draw & they need bigger names to do that.

Honestly I'd rather see them move more established older guys off the main roster and onto NXT, guys getting close to the end of their career, have them in NXT to help draw with some name power, help put over the younger crop of guys and help train them up as well. Guys like Kane, Goldust, R-Truth, Ryhno and so on.

Top Bottom