• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Heroman

Banned
Like I get that guys like Joe/Nak/Roode should be on the main roster, they are ready and them being in NXT hurts all the guys below them but they want NXT to be able to tour and draw & they need bigger names to do that.

Honestly I'd rather see them move more established older guys off the main roster and onto NXT, guys getting close to the end of their career, have them in NXT to help draw with some name power, help put over the younger crop of guys and help train them up as well. Guys like Kane, Goldust, R-Truth, Ryhno and so on.
That would kill nxt cause there would only be old guys who aren't that popular and really greens wrestlers.

Rimfya

Banned
What's the point in developing any more talent anyway. The main roster is clogged with mediocrity. There'd be no where for the new talent to go.

Something happened with NXT right around the time Joe got involved in the main event, before that you had 5 or 6 people gunning for the title with guys like Sami Zayn, Neville, Tyler Breeze, Hideo Itami, Finn & Kevin Owens all in the main event scene.

Now the Main Event scene is Nakamura, Joe and Bobby Roode. Just below them is Tye Dillinger and Eric Young I guess if they let him and Sanity run wild, and as much as I love Tye I can't see him beating someone like Joe or Nakamura.
I do miss the days when someone like Tyler Breeze winning the title wouldn't be seen as out of the ordinary, some even expected it. Once Finn got in it became for indie superstars only.

I'm hoping that once Nak & Joe leave NXT becomes more low key, and turns back into being a building ground for lesser known stars, but expectations are too high for that now.

I do miss the days when someone like Tyler Breeze winning the title wouldn't be seen as out of the ordinary, some even expected it. Once Finn got in it became for indie superstars only.

I'm hoping that once Nak & Joe leave NXT becomes more low key, and turns back into being a building ground for lesser known stars, but expectations are too high for that now.
Heck even for a time it looked like Tyson Kidd could have been NXT champion.

When Nak & Joe do leave NXT who would be the next big get for NXT from the Indie scene, I don't follow other promotions all that much so who would they need to get to replace the star power of them.

Speak of NXT, I really wish WWE would put all of the back catalogue of NXT on there, I'd love to see stuff from the days of Big E & Seth as champions there

Heck even for a time it looked like Tyson Kidd could have been NXT champion.

When Nak & Joe do leave NXT who would be the next big get for NXT from the Indie scene, I don't follow other promotions all that much so who would they need to get to replace the star power of them.

Speak of NXT, I really wish WWE would put all of the back catalogue of NXT on there, I'd love to see stuff from the days of Big E & Seth as champions there
Gotta edit out those curb stomps.

Hasney

The start of this version of NXT was so fun. JR on commentary, promo videos that we will never see that style of again... Now it feels like WWEs indie brand but then it felt totally disconnected.

God knows WrassleGAF hungers for the days of Bo Dallas championship defenses and Ascension squash matches.
Bo Dallas was pretty entertaining.

Still the main reason NXT was better in those days is because they had character work, though I still enjoy it now because of the current women's division.

Fox318

p1a5aqpl.png
It really is a shame no media cares about the state of wrestling unless somebody kills their wife.

Thoughts on Big Vito or The Chuck and Billy tag team growing up?

The Chuck and Billy thing was so fucked up. Chuck Palumbo had always been one of my favorite wrestlers so I was excited to see him get a push. Even more than that, GLAAD was so excited to see a positive LGBT+ portrayal in mainstream TV at the time, especially within wrestling. WWE strung them along for mainstream media attention with the acceptance hype, and GLAAD has (justifiably) been pissed at them ever since for being lied to

Kurita

WrassleGAF, what are your favorite wrasslin' gifs (that are not gifs of moves/spots)

I'm partial to the WCW one with the road agents running towards the camera. I never got the context which makes it 10 times funnier when I see that popping in here.

nashlaughing.gif is a good contender too

Fox318

The Chuck and Billy thing was so fucked up. Chuck Palumbo had always been one of my favorite wrestlers so I was excited to see him get a push. Even more than that, GLAAD was so excited to see a positive LGBT+ portrayal in mainstream TV at the time, especially within wrestling. WWE strung them along for mainstream media attention with the acceptance hype, and GLAAD has (justifiably) been pissed at them ever since for being lied to
I'm always shocked there are so many LGBTQ and minority wrestling fans in the US.

I mean the company even now uses xenophobia and racism to get heat and try to make money.

WrassleGAF, what are your favorite wrasslin' gifs (that are not gifs of moves/spots)

I'm partial to the WCW one with the road agents running towards the camera. I never got the context which makes it 10 times funnier when I see that popping in here.

Fuck Kevin Nash (fuck HHH) but
0Z129aT.gif

Will always love both the ridiculously long pyro, and the quick look back he gives after the big explosion of it like "really, this shit's still going?"

g4Dw3Yr.gif

Wrestlers corpsing is my favorite thing.

Fox318

kGkIpYS.png

SHOOTMAS Day 10

WWE's Mark Henry vs The Inch Dumbbell

oyiBsZDl.jpg
RDiXKOfl.jpg

Part of the thing I'm trying to focus on for Shootmas is authenticity and realism in both the style/fight and demonstrating pure athleticism and skill. No other person on the WWE roster and in history demonstrates that more than "The World's Strongest Man".

That was a shoot. While Henry may have let himself and his nation down with a poor showing in the olympics nothing will demonstrate his power than the clean press of the inch dumbbell.

But before you watch the clip lets go over the dumbbell.

The dumbbell weighs about 172 lbs. For people who don't lift that may seem heavy but 172 lbs is nothing to really sweat when it comes to lifting weights. The thing that makes the dumbbell so hard to lift is its handle. It's like holding a can of sofa that weighs 172 lbs and makes it almost impossible to lift nevermind press above your head. The dumbbell was created by a carny strongman to bring around and challenge people to lift just off the ground. People train just to lift it off the ground. Prior to Mark Henry pressing it no man alive had ever accomplished that.

He did it with 1 hand. On his first try. First man since the dumbbells invention in 1909.

Only 1 other man has been able to do it since Henry did it.
The lift:
https://youtu.be/H0lvfvxckxU

Henry Talking to Students and Lifting the Dumbbell this year
https://youtu.be/VOxW7iCq9Vg

Articles and videos on the lift:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ironhistory8.htm
https://youtu.be/DZh-yVanH-c
http://www.stack.com/a/inch-dumbbell

Mark Henry Dunking
https://youtu.be/-UIFzTv8LA8

Past Days

giphy.gif

Zach

I think the "running agents" gif you're talking about is from a weird backstage segment where Rick Steiner's dogs attack Sting. Or something. I don't know. Google that foolishness.

So hmmm maybe it's because standards are different now idk but one newspaper actually ran the picture of Owen's body on the stretcher in the newspaper.

I say standards are different now because we would be under fire for running something like that on our website or even in the news story. Kind of tasteless. I want to run this by one of my professors because it screams unethical to me.

raw

Ask to reschedule appointment sooner after they canceled for no raisin. Get call back. It's gone from 7pm on Thursday to 4pm on Thursday.
images

OwensIsNow am winning again. Truly, I am the greetest.

Being a non-straight wrestling fan is hell, AMA

I hear ya, throw in being a non straight trans women lol...

It's why I don't really care that Sasha and Charlotte keep fighting each other tbh, they're putting on great matches and get to be people instead of sex objects and there's no cheap trashy lesbian shit (ala Mickey James v Trish) either, it's just two women fighting over a belt.

I was crushed at the end of that angle. It started my initial falling out with wrestling

I'm always shocked there are so many LGBTQ and minority wrestling fans in the US.

I mean the company even now uses xenophobia and racism to get heat and try to make money.

It's because unlike a movie or tv series or whatever, there's no other option, even when WCW was around, so if you love wrestling, you kinda have to just deal with it, or give up on wrestling entirely.

The Andre wide stare is a particular fave of mine

ReiGun

As a Black man watching WWE, it's actually been real nice to watch the current product and see so many Black people at the forefront and treated like a big deal.

Real talk, The New Day are what got me back into wrestling. I randomly decided to check out Wrestlemania this year and fell in love the instant they came out of that giant Booty O's box dressed like Vegeta. It was hilarious and made me curious to check them out on Raw the next couple of weeks. (I also thought they were interesting cause Kofi was in the group and I floored that he was still around and apparently in a hot act). Seeing them was one of the main motivators for me going to Raw this year.

It's why I root for their success even if I don't agree with how they're being booked or when I have to acknowledge they are in a garbage segment. Same goes for Sasha Banks, Rich Swann, etc. Back when I was growing up, the only Black wrestler I saw on a regular who was treated like a big deal was The Rock and WWE barely acknowledged his blackness. Booker T came later, but he was a WCW guy and we know how they got treated. Plus, Wrestlemania 19.

Granted, the company still has a loooooooong way to go. Change is glacial, especially in the WWE, which often feels like it's even further behind the curve than other media companies. They only just started to acknowledge women as people and still haven't made good on their promise to include more LGBT+ friendly stories. But at least they learned something.

Forkball

MXmuYYO.gif

As a Black man watching WWE, it's actually been real nice to watch the current product and see so many Black people at the forefront and treated like a big deal.

Real talk, The New Day are what got me back into wrestling. I randomly decided to check out Wrestlemania this year and fell in love the instant they came out of that giant Booty O's box dressed like Vegeta. It was hilarious and made me curious to check them out on Raw the next couple of weeks. (I also thought they were interesting cause Kofi was in the group and I floored that he was still around and apparently in a hot act). Seeing them was one of the main motivators for me going to Raw this year.

It's why I root for their success even if I don't agree with how they're being booked or when I have to acknowledge they are in a garbage segment. Same goes for Sasha Banks, Rich Swann, etc. Back when I was growing up, the only Black wrestler I saw on a regular who was treated like a big deal was The Rock and WWE barely acknowledged his blackness. Booker T came later, but he was a WCW guy and we know how they got treated. Plus, Wrestlemania 19.

Granted, the company still has a loooooooong way to go. Change is glacial, especially in the WWE, which often feels like it's even further behind the curve than other media companies. They only just started to acknowledge women as people and still haven't made good on their promise to include more LGBT+ friendly stories. But at least they learned something.
I'm in a similar boat and it's endearing seeing the women they're behind the most are wrestlers like Ember & Sasha. Still want to see someone in the main even scene though.

I'm in a similar boat and it's endearing seeing the women they're behind the most are wrestlers like Ember & Sasha. Still want to see someone in the main even scene though.

I mean technically you are Banks/Charlotte is getting a lot of main event work on Raw. Which in itself is pretty exciting.

But I know what you mean

ReiGun

I mean technically you are Banks/Charlotte is getting a lot of main event work on Raw. Which in itself is pretty exciting.

But I know what you mean
Sasha and Charlotte feel more like main eventers than the actual Raw main eventers, tbh. Hot potato-ing or not, I certainly care a hell of a lot more about the Women's title than the Universal title right now.

I'll be honest and admit that the cynic in me always wondered if a darker skin black woman could get pushed the way Sasha has. So seeing them all but say outright that Ember Moon's got next has been really heartening. We'll see how she does on the main roster when that time comes, though.

Would love to see one of The New Day guys get the main event shot but I don't think it's ever going to happen. Hopefully they'll build up someone like Apollo Crews or let Cedric or Rich escape crusierweight hell.

But I know what you mean
No dude until we get big e in that main event there will be no sleep. I haven't slept since last December, I know E will be the cream of the crop that rises to the top. Oooooh yeah!

ReiGun

The fact that Jack Swagger is still employed is amazing.

I'd say The Vaudevillains, just because I think their days are numbered anyway. Also Kane, because it's time.

The fact that Jack Swagger is still employed is amazing.

I'd say The Vaudevillains, just because I think their days are numbered anyway. Also Kane, because it's time.

Kane needs o start putting people over or go away... Him connstanly beating Luke Harper might be the most annoying thing in WWE right now for me.

shaowebb

Kane
Mojo Rawley
Titus
Roman
Jack Swagger
Curtis Axel

I'm actually cool with this except...god I hate saying this...Roman.
He is booed so hard. Just turn the guy fucking heel already. If folks want to hate him then turn that into profit. They'll cheer ANYONE who fights him. Even HHH. This guy might work to get a few guys over enough to tackle the main roster.

I'm actually cool with this except...god I hate saying this...Roman.
He is booed so hard. Just turn the guy fucking heel already. If folks want to hate him then turn that into profit. They'll cheer ANYONE who fights him. Even HHH. This guy might work to get a few guys over enough to tackle the main roster.

Roman also can work, his work has been great lately, his character is shit that's the problem.

ReiGun

Cena
Big Show
Miz
Naomi
Alicia
Eva Marie
Nikki Bella
Curtis Axel
Mojo
Nia Jax

I'll agree with this. Granted, that opinion is informed entirely by the fact that I've never liked the Bella Twins. I acknowledge they've worked hard and improved or whatever, but I don't care. I want both of them gone.

Top Bottom