• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

klonere

Banned
so, uk indies dead, y/n

Not dead, just co-opted and in check. ITV just majorly fucked if they were going to have a full tilt at trying to get something going, WWE just locked up some of the most choice talent.

Fuck man I just want some competition in the space.

Fuck the lot of it.

Also, this is the same as the cruiserweight classic, in that you can tell the 2-3 who have a chance of winning the thing before it's even begun.

Fuck the lot of it.

Also, this is the same as the cruiserweight classic, in that you can tell the 2-3 who have a chance of winning the thing before it's even begun.
Honestly I thought you'd be a lot more chill about it

What's telling is they've really not locked up that much talent. They got British Strong Style and Devlin, and that's about it in terms of top level guys.

I now present you Twitter hot takes, so you don't have to

tOaOlKq.png

ja21rUH.png

8qNifEI.png

gO7CU9y.png

Honestly I thought you'd be a lot more chill about it

What's telling is they've really not locked up that much talent. They got British Strong Style and Devlin, and that's about it in terms of top level guys.

It's just the beginning, fucker talked about having a weekly UK TV show! They'll need a fair bit of talent to make that a reality.

Are US Indies dead? Why would this be any different?

I'm not sure how people expect indie wrestling to survive with such an exodus of talent. Oh, there will always BE indie wrestling, but for it to maintain the level of quality it currently has it NEEDS that talent - if WWE do a good enough job of culling the UK wrestling scene, it will kill the boom and put us back a decade or more to the dark days when no-one gave the slightest of shits about indie wrestling in this country.

klonere

Banned
Apart from Trent and Tyler I honestly don't see the upside in any other signee for a WWE style talent. They are all CW division fodder otherwise. Yes, even Pete.

On a related note, I only just noticed that BBC Scotland's Twitter header image is Grado and Mark Dallas for a web series. I wouldn't be surprised if Vince is under the impression that ICW is/will be on BBC.

1. Trent Seven
  2. Pete Dunne
  3. Tyler Bate
  4. Sam Gradwell
  5. Wolfgang
  6. James Drake
  7. Tucker
  8. Jordan Devlin
  9. Joseph Conners
  10. Tyson T Bone
  11. Bodyguy Roy Johnson
  12. HC Dyer
  13. Dan Moloney
  14. Jack Starz
  15. Tiger Ali
  16. Ringo Ryan
  17. Saxon Huxley
  18. Chris Tyler

Full list, prob some alternates given there's 18.

It is odd that for PROGRESS' first show in Birmingham, they won't have their top heel faction who hold their World and Tag titles.

Two of whom are very much Birmingham based.

It is odd that for PROGRESS' first show in Birmingham, they won't have their top heel faction who hold their World and Tag titles.

Two of whom are very much Birmingham based.

I'd presume PROGRESS were aware of this when they put the title on Pete, they'll probably have them tape a promo bragging about not being there, which can then be played to rile up the Brum crowd.

I'd presume PROGRESS were aware of this when they put the title on Pete, they'll probably have them tape a promo bragging about not being there, which can then be played to rile up the Brum crowd.

True. I guess that's why they didn't hold off on the Riots rematch.

I guess they could make both shows, but I imagine that WWE'd want them there all day.

Yeah that promo video the other day wouldn't have been filmed without knowing about this I reckon

Would love World Of Sport to swoop in with an announcement of a TV series now.

So according to Meltz, the big fear over a Tye Dillinger call-up is that the '10' chant becomes the new 'what'.

I don't think it will ever get that big, but that chant annoys the shit out of me and I would rather it maybe just stayed a thing for Tye's matches.

I'm completely out of the loop, what's actually happening here?

ITV filmed a World of Sport TV pilot and because WWE are so deathly afraid of anything remotely resembling competition they've staked their own claim on British wrestling with a UK tournament, belt and prospective weekly TV show.

ITV filmed a World of Sport TV pilot and because WWE are so deathly afraid of anything remotely resembling competition they've staked their own claim on British wrestling with a UK tournament, belt and prospective weekly TV show.

That's pathetic, as if World of Sport would even end up being competition for WWE.

It would 100% be bigger ratings wise than WWE in the UK.

Would it? I'm not so sure TBH. I mean I guess if it airs on like a Saturday night on ITV1 it might but I'm not sure how much mainstream interest there is in British wrestling these days. Besides I don't see it eating into WWEs ratings one bit, I don't see there being some sort of new Monday Night War

Regal was quoted in an interview saying it wasn't a response to WoS, they've been scouting for months before they knew about WoS.

I mean of course he'd say that.

But given that PROGRESS show he showed up at in July, and Bodyguy getting a spot, I kinda buy it.

DJKhaled

Would it? I'm not so sure TBH. Besides I don't seeing eating into WWEs ratings one bit, I don't see there being some sort of new Monday Night War

Yes. It'd be in a good timeslot on free TV. TNA used to beat WWE in ratings in the UK. There's no question that it'd rate better than WWE.

British wrestling has more interest now than in a long time.

Would it? I'm not so sure TBH. Besides I don't seeing eating into WWEs ratings one bit, I don't see there being some sort of new Monday Night War

WWE get garbage ratings in the UK, they're on a Pay TV channel at 1am.

WoS will be primetime on the second biggest (and free) channel in the country.

TNA got better ratings than Raw over here. And they were on a tiny free channel.

Yes. It'd be in a good timeslot on free TV. TNA used to beat WWE in ratings in the UK. There's no question that it'd rate better than WWE.

British wrestling has more interest now than in a long time.

WWE get garbage ratings in the UK, they're on a Pay TV channel at 1am.

WoS will be primetime on the second biggest (and free) channel in the country.

TNA got better ratings than Raw over here. And they were on a tiny free channel.

Fair enough, I wonder why they never aired on a terrestrial channel? Does the money they get from Sky Sports make it not worth it?

Fair enough, I wonder why they never aired on a terrestrial channel? Does the money they get from Sky Sports make it not worth it?

I assume so? There was a brief period where they were on terrestrial TV in 2000, Channel 4 bought 1/4 of the PPV's and Sunday Night Heat

They immediately got cold feet after the first show, Royal Rumble 2000, when the Mae Young thing happened.

klonere

Banned
What's funny is that in the fictional universe you can play in TEW, the world's biggest promotion is run out of fictional ITV after having a bunch of money pumped into it by a Simon Cowell type personality, poaching that world's version of Cena from WWE.

klonere

Banned
I forsee the tourny itself being quite good and then they rapidly lose interest in the whole endeavour once ITV fuck off and the whole thing trudges along with little direction or energy for far too long.

Fuck me do I not want WWE creative anywhere near my OTT/PROGRESS storyline stuff.

I assume so? There was a brief period where they were on terrestrial TV in 2000, Channel 4 bought 1/4 of the PPV's and Sunday Night Heat

They immediately got cold feet after the first show, Royal Rumble 2000, when the Mae Young thing happened.

This is how I got into wrestling as a kid as I didn't have sky. I wonder how many kids WoS will bring into the fold.

I forsee the tourny itself being quite good and then they rapidly lose interest in the whole endeavour once ITV fuck off and the whole thing trudges along with little direction or energy for far too long.

Fuck me do I not want WWE creative anywhere near my OTT/PROGRESS storyline stuff.
Exactly, just like the CWC.

Top Bottom