• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Dragon Gate is live, anyone watching?

6CXx533.jpg

Ridiculous main event, the rest of the card's a mystery as well.

Really struggled to get more than an hour into recent WWE PPV's. Just not grabbing me enough, the opening tag match at Roadblock was great though. I don't think I'll get pumped up for wrestling again until Wrestle Kingdom probably.

Really struggled to get more than an hour into recent WWE PPV's. Just not grabbing me enough, the opening tag match at Roadblock was great though. I don't think I'll get pumped up for wrestling again until Wrestle Kingdom probably.

I am a bit the same. I'll probably keep watching SD but I'm not overly excited about it.

Wrestle Kingdom airs at a decent time here in Australia. The last few years we have had a BBQ and drinks with friends which adds to the experience quite a bit. I don't see much else to be overly excited for.

I am a bit the same. I'll probably keep watching SD but I'm not overly excited about it.

Wrestle Kingdom airs at a decent time here in Australia. The last few years we have had a BBQ and drinks with friends which adds to the experience quite a bit. I don't see much else to be overly excited for.

Yeah that's one of the benefits for us, always seems to line up nicely time wise!

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
That Bayley gif is way worse than the Mojo gif. At least the Mojo gif has some kind of offensive move at the end of it. Ok it doesn't because it loops right before said offensive move occurs, but nevertheless the point stands.

Hasney

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/12/19/wwe-wade-barrett-stu-bennett-interview

WWE is becoming really good at making people fall out of love with wrestling. More people need Bork and Roman's attitude, treat it like the cold hearted business that it is and make that money, that way you won't you get disappointed.

I think this says a lot more about the product as a whole:

“‘Bad News’ Barrett was a really fun time,” explained Bennett. “The reactions from the crowd I was getting were really about my speaking and my portrayal of a character rather than my in-ring work. You can even go back to the Nexus era, when I was cutting promos every single night. People were really hanging on my every word, and I was really dictating a lot of the shows that we were doing. I’ve always had that confidence in my performance ability and my ability to speak in character. One of the most exciting parts of the Nexus and ‘Bad News’ Barrett eras were I had a lot of influence in the character and I had a lot of influence in how I was going to portray myself. When I became King Barrett, the influence I had in the character was taken away. I was told, ‘This is your outfit, and here is your promo that you have to say word-for-word.’ Any time I tried to tweak the storyline because I thought it wasn’t working, or because it wasn’t me, I was denied. The lack of control over my career reduced my passion more than anything.
“The best thing about being a pro wrestler was having that fan base behind you,” said Bennett. “The fans never, ever stopped inspiring me. What stopped inspiring me was the fact that the material that I was performing on screen wasn’t something that I found interesting. If I don’t enjoy it and I don’t have a passion for it, then I can’t see how anyone else watching it could enjoy it. If you look back at my career in 2015 and 2016, most people would struggle to pinpoint anything that they thought was good. There simply weren’t those moments, and I’m aware of that as much as anybody. I’m aware when it’s not entertaining because I’m the guy right in the middle of it. That wasn’t the only issue—it wasn’t purely a creative thing, there were other issues going on behind the scenes between me and WWE, but that was the most obvious one.”

Shocking. When Wade Barrett was good, he was given freedom instead of word for word promos.

Hasney

Bennett admitted that he was a bit of a loner when it came to travel, but he was tight with Cody Rhodes, Heath Slater, and Bray Wyatt, as well as tended to gravitate to his fellow Europeans in Neville, Cesaro, Alberto Del Rio, and Rusev.

Errr, has Paige gotten so into him that he's now European?

It is kind of unbelievable how Bayley is on the main roster.

Between rolling around on the ground and those cringe "hulking up" spots. It is impressive how badly they fucked it up.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I never liked Bayley's character and she's always been super cringey on the mic. What she had going for her was her ability to wrestle good matches. That will still be true on the main roster when she gets a big PPV singles match.

Foggy

It is kind of unbelievable how Bayley is on the main roster.

Between rolling around on the ground and those cringe "hulking up" spots. It is impressive how badly they fucked it up.

I'm of the thought that she's always been mediocre to bad. She shined best opposite heel Sasha, but she's never come off great outside of their chemistry. Prior to her title run, she was a Full Sail darling because of the concept of her gimmick and then the post-Sasha stuff with Nia, Asuka, and Dana has been terribly uninspired. A super face that's been infantalized this badly is going to have a shorter shelf life the longer she's exposed.

I'm of the thought that she's always been mediocre to bad. She shined best opposite heel Sasha, but she's never come off great outside of their chemistry. Prior to her title run, she was a Full Sail darling because of the concept of her gimmick and then the post-Sasha stuff with Nia, Asuka, and Dana has been terribly uninspired. A super face that's been infantalized this badly is going to have a shorter shelf life the longer she's exposed.

I do agree. The post-Sasha stuff with Asuka felt like it exposed her quite a bit.

Still, she would never have gotten so over (for example the chants at Takeover London) if in NXT she was doing whatever she did tonight all the time. At least, I don't think so.

Mic skills is really the only flaw Bayley has. I think she's a great wrestler, and her character is one of the best WWE have. Fans love her, kids adore her, her merch looks to sell a huge ton. But even down during the prime of NXT when everything was great, her ability to talk never really got better.

Her advantage is that the casual viewer can just buy the awkwardness as part of her character. Plus she's Bayley so she's never gonna receive a de-push because she struggles a little bit on the mic.

That Sasha promo...Charlotte really is the female Reigns. Though, to the E's credit, they had the good sense to make her a heel so it's okay to dislike her.
Both have been pretty overpushed. IIRC Sasha has only lost clean to Charlotte and no one else since she got on the roster. Which makes it all the more odd while Charlotte needs to cheat to win most other matches, but then WWE decides that she's a proper competitor the minute a serious match comes up.

50% off WWE t-shirts. I might just give in and buy this Reigns shirt for not even a fiver.

And to think Zach's favorite Bayley shirt is only a little over a tenner.

CDiggity

Missed RAW last night to go see Rogue One. Seems like I made the right choice.

It's a good movie, but I was spacing out a bit at the start since the movie begins pretty slow, caused me to hear Jyn Erso as Jey Uso at least once.

Zach

50% off WWE t-shirts. I might just give in and buy this Reigns shirt for not even a fiver.

And to think Zach's favorite Bayley shirt is only a little over a tenner.
Do they offer in-time-for-Xmas delivery? Because all of my friends and family could use a CAN I GET A HUG? shirt.

Zach

What a powerbomb by Eddie to RVD at Backlash '02! Yeeeaaah!

And a great neckbreaker!

And the best froggy splash!

I love Eddie Guerrero.

Do they offer in-time-for-Xmas delivery? Because all of my friends and family could use a CAN I GET A HUG? shirt.
Seems to be just the fifty percent off and nothing more but Zach, as Bayley's biggest mark they'll make an exception.

It's almost like you want to be booed in the street
No one will mess with me unless they want that spear taking them down while I wear my fancy Roman Reigns toy gauntlet.

Balee dat.

Top Bottom