• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

I do love seeing people make fun of Tuna Meltz.

D5LqJny.jpg

La Luchadora seems to be the Jane Ellsworth jobber from a few weeks ago. I suppose we just wait to see if they intend for her to be a character or if she's just filling in for the role and they'll reveal it's Mickie or Eva.

Also from the whole infamous Summerslam 2010 thing is it that Vince booked Team Cena to go over but Cena wanted the ridiculous comeback from the DDT on the concrete which really hammered in how fucking dumb the thing was or Vince wanted the Nexus to win but Cena used his creative power to give himself the win?

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
AJ sold that super kick like a champ, jesus can he sell well. Also corbin with the fuck up and not breaking the count, good thing AJ was paying attention

MC Safety

Barrett's not gainfully employed and certainly wasn't featured regularly, neither is Ryback and he never won titles, ditto Sandow (arguably worse because he's in TNA), same with Riley, and it's a stretch to say any of them had great careers at any point (adding Bray to that fold), regardless of whether it was deserved in some cases

Making a big stink about "contributing in some meaningful way" and then pretty clearly not even reading an example when it comes. lmfao

Go on, next write an essay about JTG's book being a masterpiece he should thank Cena for giving him inspiration to do.

I'm not up to date with everyone's comings and goings. To be honest, I had to look up Wade Barrett and am only mildly familiar with Ryback and Sandow.

You're throwing junk at the wall to see what will stick. And, honestly, I don't see in either's case where their departure had anything to do with John Cena. Do you imagine if they were somehow granted victories over Cena they would now be title holders? Or even still in WWE? Do you imagine some superstardom for these wrestlers?

La Luchadora seems to be the Jane Ellsworth jobber from a few weeks ago. I suppose we just wait to see if they intend for her to be a character or if she's just filling in for the role and they'll reveal it's Mickie or Eva.

Also from the whole infamous Summerslam 2010 thing is it that Vince booked Team Cena to go over but Cena wanted the ridiculous comeback from the DDT on the concrete which really hammered in how fucking dumb the thing was or Vince wanted the Nexus to win but Cena used his creative power to give himself the win?

The DDT comeback was Cena's idea entirely, and the story goes he apologized for it when he went backstage because he almost immediately after the act happened to conclusion realized it was fucking stupid

The DDT comeback was Cena's idea entirely, and the story goes he apologized for it when he went backstage because he almost immediately after the act happened to conclusion realized it was fucking stupid

I don't think Cena is some master politician, but it's pretty convenient he only came to that conclusion AFTER it happened.

Rusev is still the worst case of a Cena burial. He could have been a fucking star if he not only won but made Cena tap with the Accolade.

Sounds about right. It really was a dumb thing to do. Just beating them clean would have been bad but taking a move that would kill a normal man and coming back to win without a hassle was worse.

At least the Shield were successful enough to have the power (and Triple H's protection) to refuse to do any jobbing for basically the entirety of their run.

Heroman

Banned
Rusev is still the worst case of a Cena burial. He could have been a fucking star if he not only won but made Cena tap with the Accolade.

Sounds about right. It really was a dumb thing to do. Just beating them clean would have been bad but taking a move that would kill a normal man and coming back to win without a hassle was worse.

At least the Shield were successful enough to have the power (and Triple H's protection) to refuse to do any jobbing for basically the entirety of their run.
Cena didn't bury rusev, I doubt that any point in his career did Vince think that he would be a main eventer. I mean his gimmick was a evil foreign in 2015.

Alex Riley mistaking a Push Rage sign a fan made as a joke over his CAW for being something for him will never not be funny and also a bit sad.

Cena didn't bury rusev, I doubt that any point in his career did Vince think that he would be a main eventer. I mean his gimmick was a evil foreign in 2015.
I dunno. Rusev went from an undefeated monster pre-Cena to being in a love square angle post-Cena.

Granted the engagement being leaked killed Vince's chances of ever giving him a proper world title push.

Heroman

Banned
Alex Riley mistaking a Push Rage sign a fan made as a joke over his CAW for being something for him will never not be funny and also a bit sad.

I dunno. Rusev went from an undefeated monster pre-Cena to being in a love square angle post-Cena.

Granted the engagement being leaked killed Vince's chances of ever giving him a proper world title push.
He built to lose to Cena, at no point did Cena politic his way into winning.

My favorite Riley memory is when I worked NXT and he for some odd reason didn't use the men's locker room to change into his gear, but came into the promo room and hid behind a set of prop lockers and changed.

The only good thing about Alex Riley is the whole 'Push Rage' thing. I guess Alex got the last laugh tho, cause the SBF are pretty much done-so.

UberTag

Not sure if this was mentioned here, but Meltzer did mention last night that WM plans for Roman are not set yet. He hinted that Strowman is a possibility and also said that none of the plans are a "another coronation moment".

He also mentioned that there was a "pretty surprising" option for Roman on the table, but he doesn't expect that one to happen.
What plans are "set for Mania" according to Meltzer aside of the obvious build for Seth vs. Triple H?

DMczaf

The obvious answer to the surprising option is Rock.

Does Rock do a 3-4 month heel run just to get his cousin over?

Also, Shane vs Brock Lesnar was locked in until Goldberg proved he's a god damn draw.

Shane vs fucking Brock Lesnar....

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I love it when people argue with the weasel phrase "let's be honest" as though everyone knows the truth of said person's position as though all who oppose them are being intentionally deceitful (just to besmirch the name of poor John Cena).

What plans are "set for Mania" according to Meltzer aside of the obvious build for Seth vs. Triple H?

The only things that seem 100% set right now (that we know of) are Seth vs. Triple H and Goldberg vs. Brock.

The obvious answer to the surprising option is Rock.

Does Rock do a 3-4 month heel run just to get his cousin over?

Also, Shane vs Brock Lesnar was locked in until Goldberg proved he's a god damn draw.

Shane vs fucking Brock Lesnar....

Rock might be the best promo ever.

There's still absolutely no chance he could ever convince any crowd, no less a WM crowd, to cheer Roman over him.

ReiGun

You couldn't pay a crowd to boo The Rock in 2016, especially not over Roman and especially not at Mania. I would hope they'd be smarter than to consider that.

Sidebar: Tonight was the worst Alexa vs Becky match. Alexa's inexperience really showed.

UberTag

The only things that seem 100% set right now (that we know of) are Seth vs. Triple H and Goldberg vs. Brock.
Would they seriously do Goldberg vs. Brock AGAIN?!?
Do we really need to rehash the 30-second Survivor Series match?
Seems like a waste of Brock's time. (Which, naturally, means he loves the idea. Getting a Mania payday for a nothing match is what he loves the most.)

Does Roman sell high merchandise? I still don't understand why he is a face.
Looking strong trumps everything when it comes to getting pushed. Even selling merch is secondary.

Why would they seriously do Goldberg vs. Brock AGAIN?!?
Do we really need to rehash the 30-second Survivor Series match again?
Seems like a waste of Brock's time. (Which, naturally, means he loves the idea. Getting a Mania payday for a nothing match is what he loves the most.).

The 30 second match was always meant to setup a WM match. It was done that way to give Brock a storyline reason to want a rematch, and at the Rumble we'll see Brock give Goldberg a storyline reason to want another match with him.

The WM match will presumably be what the first match was going to be until Goldberg got over, which is a normal length match with Brock going over.

It all boils down to the fact that Vince (and others) think he's the guy. And they will sooner run him into the ground and ruin him forever than admit they are wrong and turn him heel. There are few things Vince dislikes more than admitting a mistake. It's why for a long time he has been hesitant to re-sign guys he let go before, because re-signing them is an admission that they were wrong to cut them in the first place.

Kung Fu Panda is a GOAT movie.

You couldn't pay a crowd to boo The Rock in 2016, especially not over Roman and especially not at Mania. I would hope they'd be smarter than to consider that.

Sidebar: Tonight was the worst Alexa vs Becky match. Alexa's inexperience really showed.
I thought it had some cool spots but as a match, yeah, it was sort of all over the place. I hope they don't have them fight each other until the rumble, because they fear hitting Charlotte-Sasha levels of repetitiveness (although they will hopefully not have as many title changes) and I say this as someone who likes the feud.

ReiGun

Kung Fu Panda is a GOAT movie.

I thought it had some cool spots but as a match, yeah, it was sort of all over the place. I hope they don't have them fight each other until the rumble, because they fear hitting Charlotte-Sasha levels of repetitiveness (although they will hopefully not have as many title changes) and I say this as someone who likes the feud.

Hopefully the La Luchadora thing helps keep the feud fresh. If nothing else, it gives Becky something else to do.

Hasney

Liv Morgan is on Raw house shows teaming with Sasha and Bayley. Why they are even considering her yet is weird. NXT isn't even being used to let people shake the green off anymore.

Liv Morgan is on Raw house shows teaming with Sasha and Bayley. Why they are even considering her yet is weird. NXT isn't even being used to let people shake the green off anymore.
I'm sure it means nothing, didn't Samoa Joe injure Tyson before a main event taping? Probably just want to give them match ups with more experienced people.

Also yesterday's main event was great,too bad gaf went down during the discussion. I will watch 205 later since it sounds like it was pretty good.

Striker

Because they are all inept.

And Shane McMahon wrestling. In 2016. His best stuff will always be vs. Angle but that was because Kirk was able to move around like a normal human being. These fights against Oldtaker and Icancareless Brock are statues for him and look overly silly.

YesManKablaam

Neo Member
In a way I can't blame Cena for too much. Disregarding any amount of politicking he may do, it's clear that Vince and Creative are high on him and want him to have these big victories as he's still a draw, and I doubt there's anyone that'd turn down opportunities to look like the best fucking guy in the world. Yup, I was annoyed by his WM wins over Bray and Rusev, but I imagine if I was in that position and was presented with continuous opportunities to build my brand and be on top, I'd take them.

There is a line though, and too often I've been really annoyed by just how Cena beats people. He rarely if ever sells injury or even basic physical harm, and when he does win it's by outright embarassing his opponent over successive matches, making them look like a total laughing stock. Great for him, takes a lot of momentum from whoever he's feuding with.

I browse this thread more than I post, but I do like the trend of people saying they're going to shoot, so I'm going to try and offer my own:

Cena has been a terrible fucking promo for the vast majority of his career. This revisionist history bullshit over the last few years (mainly since his US Title run) is laughable, as if people can't recall the garbage he would regularly spew in the decade preceding. The fact it's taken, what, 14 years to hone an ability to consistently work a crowd doesn't place him in the best of lights. Shining example of Cena's quality over the years:

loser1pccbn.gif

Terrific mic work. What a presence. Amazing how well he can work a crowd.

(He has been a lot of fun lately. Loved him in Trainwreck)

I still find it mind-blowing how Cena doesn't have a victory on styles yet, I know he will get it by Mania but it would be awesome if he can't do it till his last match before he goes part time.

Smackdown needs only 3 sets of call ups to make the entire show feel fresh with new match ups.
-The revival should come out next next week and take the titles from AA and have them chase it till wrestlemania.
-Tye Dillenger to the intercontinental scene to take on Miz.
-Samoa Joe to get in the way of Cena from reclaiming the title.

There are enough women to chase the title right now and with Mickie James coming soon it will help.

Man, Corbin really botched that pin breakup. Good thing styles is so good and noticed. And JBL did well selling it while everyone else (including Dunn) were flapping around trying to pretend it didn't happen.

Top Bottom