• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Probably the best episode of 205 Live they've had so far. Who was that guy in the second match though? Is he a new hire or a jobber? I guess he got injured right off the bat anyway.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's gonna have to be a lot of double-duty at RR at the rate they're going because every plausible Rumble winner is already in a match. I'm pretty damn surprised they aren't going with Cena (apparently).

Well, other than Seth, and it makes no sense whatsoever for him, Brock Lesnar or Goldberg to win the Royal Rumble.

Orton was getting major pop tonight. If he goes back solo, he'll get crickets

Orton being a stealth-babyface has been obvious from Day 1. His goal is to sow discord in the Family - they've already shown Harper getting pissed off multiple times. The idea is that he's going to break up Bray's stable from the inside - it's a win-win from WWE's perspective since Orton gets to be a babyface who pretends to be a heel, which plays to Orton being a better heel than a face.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
AJ Styles is legitimately the biggest star in the company, right? Nobody on Raw draws anywhere near the reaction he does, and nobody does on SmackDown either. Well, okay, Cena, but no matter what he claims on Talking Smack, the dude is a part timer at best.

Orton being a stealth-babyface has been obvious from Day 1. His goal is to sow discord in the Family - they've already shown Harper getting pissed off multiple times. The idea is that he's going to not only beat up Bray, he's going to break up his stable from the inside. It's a win-win from WWE's perspective - Orton gets to be a babyface who pretends to be a heel, which plays to Orton being a better heel than a face.

What about his Snake powers though

Angry Grimace

This is dumb. John Cena hasn't buried anyone.

But he should totally lose every match because you, personally, don't like him.

Cena buried a fucking lot of people at one point; ask Wade Barrett. Last year he won a single PPV match; he's blaming it on the shoulder injury, which is a really good staging point for a slow heel turn that will obviously never happen because, duh, merchandise.

Heroman

Banned
AJ Styles is legitimately the biggest star in the company, right? Nobody on Raw draws anywhere near the reaction he does, and nobody does on SmackDown either. Well, okay, Cena, but no matter what he claims on Talking Smack, the dude is a part timer at best.
yes but I don't know what that means in modern WWE.

Anth0ny

he definitely comes off like the biggest full time star in the company

that face off they did between team raw and team smackdown before SS, AJ felt like the man

Angry Grimace

I'm just saying, I actually appreciate how AJ comes off like a badass heel who cheats when he has to, as opposed to just doing it all of the time. Just seems rare in the WWE these days where every heel cheats to win non-stop.

MC Safety

Cena buried a fucking lot of people at one point; ask Wade Barrett. Last year he won a single PPV match; he's blaming it on the shoulder injury, which is a really good staging point for a slow heel turn that will obviously never happen because, duh, merchandise.

Wade Barrett wasn't buried. Wade Barrett had a thriving career in the WWE and chose to leave.

If you mean that Wade Barrett did not become the superstar you imagined him to be, well, that's absolutely true. But the vast majority of wrestlers in the WWE will never be top-tier stars.

You've made a wrestler you don't like into the boogeyman.

klonere

Banned
Cena should lose to AJ, get called out by Taker for not holding up his own claim that he's still the biggest deal on SD.

There is no reason a Taker match needs a title in 2017.

Kurita

tumblr_oivj2rIVZl1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

That's a star walk right there
Dunno if serious, it looked awkward as hell, like, he didn't know what to do with his arms

Angry Grimace

Wade Barrett wasn't buried. Wade Barrett had a thriving career in the WWE and chose to leave.

If you mean that Wade Barrett did not become the superstar you imagined him to be, well, that's absolutely true. But the vast majority of wrestlers in the WWE will never be top-tier stars.

You've made a wrestler you don't like into the boogeyman.

I like Cena now, but Cena of 5 years ago fucking sucked.

If I were booking, Cena would be main-eventing WrestleMania with AJ Styles. The Rumble is a big deal, but Styles v. Cena is practically a sure fire hot match.

MC Safety

I think you are confusing Cena literally killing a man with Cena plummeting a dude's stock

I think you are taking "berried" in the dramatic circus that is wrestling literally.

Wade Barrett had a good run in WWE. A quick scan reveals it was 10 years or so. During that time, Barrett seemed prosperous. I'm not sure what you believed his ceiling to be, but it seems he reached it and more. And I don't understand what John Cena did to impede the man's progress.

tumblr_oivj2rIVZl1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

That's a star walk right there

I feel like this is the walk I'd do if I were booked as a monster heel. I've been saying since the start of the year that Corbin has a lot of things going for him, but he shouldn't be doing shit like this at this point in his career.

The issue with Cena is that since he's actually started to put people over the bookers have been so terrified of making heels look strong that they still look like shit. If Owen's was still at a level where he looked like he could go toe to toe with the strongest guy in the company whilst still having Jericho to cover him he'd be a great heel champ. However, he's just a cowardly shit which is a gimmick that only works if you earn it ala The Miz.

Pikma

Banned
If you have nothing to say, feel free to keep quiet.

If you wish to contribute in some meaningful way, please do join the discussion.
What's there to discuss? Are you really trying to convince everyone here that John Cena has not been pushing down talent for the most part of his career just so he could stay on the top for as long as possible?

Sephzilla

Wade Barrett's career stalled completely after the Cena feud and never recovered. After feuding with Cena, Ryback was basically preshow material, Rusev's career stalled after the Cena feud and basically had to be retconned as a character to pre-Cena days, Bray Wyatt basically became the DBZ filler episode of professional wrestling since his feud with Cena. Alberto Del Rio basically lost his original gimmick due to Cena. Damien Sandow never sniffed the mid card again after losing to a one armed Cena and now he isn't even with the company. Alex Riley was permanently demoted to NXT because Cena didn't like him.

But yeah, he doesn't bury anyone. CenaWinsLOL just conveniently stopped once Cena started developing a mainstream celebrity career and didn't need to rely on his spot in WWE anymore.

If you have nothing to say, feel free to keep quiet.

If you wish to contribute in some meaningful way, please do join the discussion.
The post I quoted was no better since it was an elitist full of shit comment where you simply belittled someone for not liking Cena

MC Safety

Wade Barrett's career stalled completely after the Cena feud and never recovered. After feuding with Cena, Ryback was basically preshow material, Rusev's career stalled after the Cena feud and basically had to be retconned as a character to pre-Cena days, Bray Wyatt basically became the DBZ filler episode of professional wrestling since his feud with Cena. Alberto Del Rio basically lost his original gimmick due to Cena. Damien Sandow never sniffed the mid card again after losing to a one armed Cena and now he isn't even with the company. Alex Riley was permanently demoted to NXT because Cena didn't like him.

But yeah, he doesn't bury anyone.

The post I quoted was no better since it was an elitist full of shit comment where you simply belittled someone for not liking Cena

Let's be honest. Most of this is levied at John Cena because he is hated among wrestling fans. So the criticism is valid. And it was in context and not disembodied as your snide commentary was.

And the wrestlers you cited all have had, or are having, great careers. They are gainfully employed, win titles, and are featured regularly. That they are not where you would imagine them to be does not speak one iota to their careers or potential for future employment.

If you think Alex Riley's demotion was somehow because of John Cena, and not because he was terrible as a wrestler, commentator, and valet, I won't bother trying to disavow you of that.

UberTag

But yeah, he doesn't bury anyone.
Cena is one of the Top 3 politicians in wrestling in the modern era. The other two being Hogan and Triple H.

Let's be honest. Most of this is levied at John Cena because he is hated among wrestling fans. So the criticism is valid. And it was in context and not disembodied as your snide commentary was.

And the wrestlers you cited all have had, or are having, great careers. They are gainfully employed, win titles, and are featured regularly. That they are not where you would imagine them to be does not speak one iota to their careers or potential for future employment.

If you think Alex Riley's demotion was somehow because of John Cena, and not because he was terrible as a wrestler, commentator, and valet, I won't bother trying to disavow you of that.
Cena purposely killed some of JTG's merch because he accidentally said some variation of hustle, loyalty, and/or respect. It's not alien to think Cena purposely holds others down.

And the wrestlers you cited all have had, or are having, great careers. They are gainfully employed, win titles, and are featured regularly.

Barrett's not gainfully employed and certainly wasn't featured regularly, neither is Ryback and he never won titles, ditto Sandow (arguably worse because he's in TNA), same with Riley, and it's a stretch to say any of them had great careers at any point (adding Bray to that fold), regardless of whether it was deserved in some cases

Making a big stink about "contributing in some meaningful way" and then pretty clearly not even reading an example when it comes. lmfao

Go on, next write an essay about JTG's book being a masterpiece he should thank Cena for giving him inspiration to do.

Sephzilla

I think it's hard to argue that some of those wrestlers had successful careers when they left the company because they didn't feel like they were getting used enough, or properly.

I think it's hard to argue that some of those wrestlers had successful careers when they left the company because they didn't feel like they were getting used enough, or properly.

Ryback has now officially done shoot interviews, tweets, FB posts, videos, his own podcast, AND his own book entirely on stories of how he felt he was misused in the company and his career was derailed. Regardless of whether one believes him or not, it's fucking baffling to argue for THAT being an example of a great perfect career when he's basically weekly telling you personally "no I haven't and here's why"

Angry Grimace

I think you are taking "berried" in the dramatic circus that is wrestling literally.

Wade Barrett had a good run in WWE. A quick scan reveals it was 10 years or so. During that time, Barrett seemed prosperous. I'm not sure what you believed his ceiling to be, but it seems he reached it and more. And I don't understand what John Cena did to impede the man's progress.

"A quick scan" suggests you aren't all that familiar with the Nexus angle and how Cena's run with it ended. I'm not suggesting Cena has the final say in it anymore than Reigns does, but Super Cena booking absolutely had a detrimental effect on lots of other people's careers.

Not sure if this was mentioned here, but Meltzer did mention last night that WM plans for Roman are not set yet. He hinted that Strowman is a possibility and also said that none of the plans are a "another coronation moment".

He also mentioned that there was a "pretty surprising" option for Roman on the table, but he doesn't expect that one to happen.

Top Bottom