• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Dreaming of a Vanilla Christmas

Fox318

I get it from
Cody's
point of view.

He's always wanted to be taken seriously by Vince and be a main event player like his dad was, and he knew he had to get out there and make a name for himself before coming back. I don't think he left forever like Punk or Ryback, he definitely wants to be back someday.
Go listen to him on Colts podcast. He talks about his relationship with the office and how he is enjoying this more than the WWE.

Then again he could be working to come across like an indie fav.

Go listen to him on Colts podcast. He talks about his relationship with the office and how he is enjoying this more than the WWE.

Then again he could be working to come across like an indie fav.

He is the only person that could work

Evolve
New Japan
TNA
ROH

At the same time it's impressive and he seem to enjoy himself

I get it from
Cody's
point of view.

He's always wanted to be taken seriously by Vince and be a main event player like his dad was, and he knew he had to get out there and make a name for himself before coming back. I don't think he left forever like Punk or Ryback, he definitely wants to be back someday.

Dude didn't have one standout performance in BOLA. I get he's doing a checklist and all, but 1) I refuse to believe Bullet Club is anyone's checklist and 2) as Fox said, he's no main eventer. He hasn't fucking done anything in the indies besides be carried. Time and again.

I think we all knew he was coming back someday, but in-ring it's been a constant slide downhill since even shortly before he left in the first place. Bullet Club isn't impressing anyone back home when they already have the only non-Bucks people they ever cared about in that stable

Fox318

jeff-joins-bullet-club.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Even though the Usos sold a ton of merch, the WWE were willing to turn them heel. THE WWE.

but NJPW won't disband Bullet Club because t-shirts

Bronx-Man

Banned
you guys wanted the attitude era back, right

heels getting cuckolded and women calling themselves bitches

this is what y'all wanted in 2016, right

She was like, literally crying. She's so good. Maybe the most complete package in the entire WWE as far a mic and in ring work.

Absolutely agree

Was anything worth watching on Raw tonight?

Yeah, this is all cool. Anything else?

Jericho and Reigns put on a solid match.
Owens and Sami did a decent match for a Raw version of their matchup
The Enzo stuff had a nice payoff.
Charlotte Flair had an amazing main event segment

I'll say it here. Ric turns on Sasha at Roadblock and rejoins Charlotte.

Probably....

Lol they should do it so there's a tie (after several great falls) with 15 seconds or whatever left.
Flair is there and he gets into a verbal fight with Charlotte, he slaps her Sasha gets DQ'd as a result, so Charlotte wins holding her face in shock that her father slapped her which then turns into a smile as they hug and celebrate being the dirtiest players in the game

Then Ric Flair should call Sasha as gullible as Sting.

Cody?...I'd actually prefer Ryback.

Can't even complain about the Sasha/Charlotte thing with how long the Bullet Club 'angle' has been going

If you haven't noticed, NJPW has factions but doesn't exactly do faction warfare - this isn't Dragon Gate. Factions don't just come and go, look at CHAOS ffs.

Recall

AJ Styles' 2016 WWE PPV Match list

#Royal Rumble Match

#Fastlane - AJ defeated Jericho

#Wrestlemania - Jericho defeated AJ

#Payback - Reigns defeated AJ

#Extreme Rules - Reigns defeated AJ

#Money in the Bank - AJ defeated Cena

#Battleground - Enzo, Cass & Cena defeated AJ, Anderson & Gallows

#Summerslam - AJ defeated Cena

#Backlash - AJ defeated Ambrose (World title win)

#No Mercy - AJ defeated Cena & Ambrose

#Survivor Series - AJ on winning team of 10 man tag.

#TLC - AJ defeated Ambrose

It seems crazy they would 'reboot' Emma like this, fuck knows where it will lead.

WWE's big problem is they can't write for shit. The faces they 'create' are boring as all fuck and likely more controlled so it makes that aspect of the product seem stagnant and boring. Then people like AJ come along who can't help but be entertaining in the ring, or with how entertaining The Miz, Owens, Jericho etc have been in general lately, it is no wonder they get over. They are the only really entertaining people on the show.

I find it hard to sit back and criticize someone like Kevin Owens for being an actually entertaining part of the show instead of being a heel proper, because even if he was doing normal heel shit, it wouldn't get over because nobody gives a shit about the boring, soulless faces in the first place and I really doubt being a 'normal' heel would generate any heat for someone like Reigns anyway. And they botched the shit out of Rollins returning so nobody cares he is a face for some reason now.

It is a bit of a predicament.

Jamie OD

It seems crazy they would 'reboot' Emma like this, fuck knows where it will lead.

WWE's big problem is they can't write for shit. The faces they 'create' are boring as all fuck and likely more controlled so it makes that aspect of the product seem stagnant and boring. Then people like AJ come along who can't help but be entertaining in the ring, or with how entertaining The Miz, Owens, Jericho etc have been in general lately, it is no wonder they get over. They are the only really entertaining people on the show.

I find it hard to sit back and criticize someone like Kevin Owens for being an actually entertaining part of the show instead of being a heel proper, because even if he was doing normal heel shit, it wouldn't get over because nobody gives a shit about the boring, soulless faces in the first place and I really doubt being a 'normal' heel would generate any heat for someone like Reigns anyway. And they botched the shit out of Rollins returning so nobody cares he is a face for some reason now.

It is a bit of a predicament.

Chewing the scenery is fun as hell so at least Enzo & Cass have that going for them on the face side. But yeah, WWE's storytelling for most of the faces has been especially dog shit this year.

kiguel182

I heard Raw was crap. I read the reports and there isn't one thing I would want to watch.

My "not watching life" continues to be great. Smackdown is still cool so I'm looking forward to that.

Sanjuro

It really is shitty though how Enzo was actively saying he wanted to leave and Lana kept going. Great message to send to kids.

Then again with all the money the McMahons donated to Trump, I shouldn't be surprised.

Rusev was basically a gritty reboot of Chris Hansen from Dateline NBC.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is the joe v nakamura match in japan on the network?

ReiGun

The only faces with any personality besides the bog standard "hero" type WWE writes are The New Day, Enzo and Cass, and Dean Ambrose. And I'm sure all of them have some measure of creative control.

That's not to say WWE's hero archetype hasn't worked for some people. Becky does really well with it, partially because it seems to be a natural extension of her personality. So she has a genuineness that most lack. It fits Bayley and Sami Zayn like a glove, but both have been hurt by poor booking (and the former's poor promos haven't helped either). Heath Slater had this too with his contract/kids storyline, but they killed his push dead because reasons.

Beyond those few examples, yeah. Faces in the WWE are sterile and boring. Sasha might be one of the worst offenders; they scrubbed every bit of edge away from "the Legit Boss" character and turned her into Joann Cena. Roman isn't fairing much better as we all know, and Seth Rollins isn't doing nearly as well as he could be as a face for this same reason. And then you look at the midcard and see guys like Apollo Crews or American Alpha struggling because they aren't allowed to develop a character beyond "happy to be here smiling babyface."

Fox318

Also somebody needs to explain to me how Vince bans things like piledrivers and the curb stomp but thinks kids won't copy a DDT or pedigree?

Hasney

Also somebody needs to explain to me how Vince bans things like piledrivers and the curb stomp but thinks kids won't copy a DDT or pedigree?

The piledriver ban from back then wasn't because of kids, it was because of the number of injuries they were inflicting for a move that is just used as a signature at most.

Fox318

The piledriver ban from back then wasn't because of kids, it was because of the number of injuries they were inflicting for a move that is just used as a signature at most.

I thought is was spurred on by some kid piledriving somebody?

I know growing up I remember that was the one move that when some kids met up in the park to wrestle they wouldn't do because a kid got hurt getting his skull driven into concrete.

MC Safety

The WWE bans moves that are injurious to wrestlers.

It relies on the common sense of its audience, plus the diligence of parents, plus televised disclaimers that people should not try this at home, to ensure its maneuvers aren't copied by impressionable children.

I thought is was spurred on by some kid piledriving somebody?

I know growing up I remember that was the one move that when some kids met up in the park to wrestle they wouldn't do because a kid got hurt getting his skull driven into concrete.

I think the last straw on the piledriver was Austin getting injured. That cost the carnival barker to lose money, see.

Top Bottom