• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
tmB6JDm.gif

*edit*
NEW PAGE AGAIN!? This gimmick, man..

y00pOB.gif

I know I've asked a lot of likely incessant questions so far, but MAN, jumping back into wrestling after 17 years is super overwhelming.

I watched the two truncated hulu versions (the only versions I can imagine watching... 90 minutes seems infinately more preferably than three fucking hours) of Raw leading up to November's Survivor PPV.

The storyline may have been stupid for long-time followers (or maybe not, I have no clue), but it was plenty interesting enough after being out of the loop for so long.

Okay! So, after this lead-up, it's team authority VEE team cena. The PPV (first PPV I've ever watched) was very unfocused - a lot of incidental elements not relevant to the plot - but whatever! The main showdown was cool. The Sting cameo was awesome for me personally because Sting was one of my favorites as a kid (though probably nothing more than a shitty gimmick for everyone else who kept following wrestling into the attitude era). Authority lost, team Cena won (predictable).

So! My question is... after following this PPV, I started watching some more weekly wrestling stuff on youtube. Along with Raw, there is also Smackdown. And Main Event. And NXT. And all of these are several hours EVERY SINGLE WEEK?

It seems like such a fucking unbelievably overwhelming time investment, for something I see as "dumb fun" for the moment. There is no way the WWE universe is badass and expansive enough to justify a 9 hour investment every single week, right?

So, if I were only to watch ONE WWE program each week, which one carries the "main" plot? I'm guessing it's either Raw or Smackdown. And I feel like 90 minutes of Raw is plenty... am I safe in assuming I'm not missing much without watching the full 3 hour production?

I had been considering WWE Network subscription for a couple of weeks, but after watching a couple of Raws now I'm a bit more skeptical. There's no way I'd have enough time to follow all of this shit each week, even if I wanted to... and if Raw is the "main" program, it isn't even ON WWE Network until a month later, right?

It's crazy revisiting this "sport" so many years later to find how fucking crazy their weekly content output is.

And what's up with the lady wrestlers? They keep showing up, but they don't seem important to the story -- they just seem to exist for the "wow hot girls catfighting each other!" crowd. Hopefully I'm wrong about that assumption though, because it would be cool if the girls helped the overall "main" plot too.

Alucard

Banned
I know I've asked a lot of likely incessant questions so far, but MAN, jumping back into wrestling after 17 years is super overwhelming.

I watched the two truncated hulu versions (the only versions I can imagine watching... 90 minutes seems infinately more preferably than three fucking hours) of Raw leading up to November's Survivor PPV.

The storyline may have been stupid for long-time followers (or maybe not, I have no clue), but it was plenty interesting enough after being out of the loop for so long.

Okay! So, after this lead-up, it's team authority VEE team cena. The PPV (first PPV I've ever watched) was very unfocused - a lot of incidental elements not relevant to the plot - but whatever! The main showdown was cool. The Sting cameo was awesome for me personally because Sting was one of my favorites as a kid (though probably nothing more than a shitty gimmick for everyone else who kept following wrestling into the attitude era). Authority lost, team Cena won (predictable).

So! My question is... after following this PPV, I started watching some more weekly wrestling stuff on youtube. Along with Raw, there is also Smackdown. And Main Event. And NXT. And all of these are several hours EVERY SINGLE WEEK?

It seems like such a fucking unbelievably overwhelming time investment, for something I see as "dumb fun" for the moment. There is no way the WWE universe is badass and expansive enough to justify a 9 hour investment every single week, right?

So, if I were only to watch ONE WWE program each week, which one carries the "main" plot? I'm guessing it's either Raw or Smackdown. And I feel like 90 minutes of Raw is plenty... am I safe in assuming I'm not missing much without watching the full 3 hour production?

I had been considering WWE Network subscription for a couple of weeks, but after watching a couple of Raws now I'm a bit more skeptical. There's no way I'd have enough time to follow all of this shit each week, even if I wanted to... and if Raw is the "main" program, it isn't even ON WWE Network until a month later, right?

It's crazy revisiting this "sport" so many years later to find how fucking crazy their weekly content output is.

And what's up with the lady wrestlers? They keep showing up, but they don't seem important to the story -- they just seem to exist for the "wow hot girls catfighting each other!" crowd. Hopefully I'm wrong about that assumption though, because it would be cool if the girls helped the overall "main" plot too.

Raw is the main show, and you don't have to follow everything else if you don't want to. The WWE is super hit or miss, but things should get interesting come January as they go from the Royal Rumble to Wrestlemania.

You're spot on about there being far too much programming. If you were to watch everything (Raw, Smackdown, Main Event, Superstars, NXT), you'd be spending 7.5 hours every week on the WWE. No chance in hell.

Raw is where most of the plot things happen. Smackdown is pretty much filler, same with Main Event and Superstars. But I would urge you to pay that 9.99 or go to your hulu plus weekly to watch NXT. It's quite worth it. It has an entirely different roster from Raw/Smackdown/PPVs and an entirely different feel to it. It's so much better than Raw. So much fucking better.

It's going to have a live 2 hour special this Thursday. I strongly urge you to check that out live, or after it's put up on Hulu or wherever. You'll pretty much see what NXT is about.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Here's how I do things.

Don't watch Raw, don't watch Main Event, don't watch Smackdown, don't watch Superstars - any of those, I do not watch unless I'm TOLD to, that some big shit happens for.

Watch This Week in WWE that comes out later in the week that sums up everything and watch the PPVs live. If there's a particularly hot PPV, watch the Raw the night after.

NXT feels like another world but is one hour long and almost always worth watching. They have a special coming up and they have knocked it out of the park every time ,so watch that live.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm close to Vinny Mac and only watch RAW when I'm playing handheld or Wii U games or its super special like Night After Wrasslemania. I watch the PPVs every month and since switching to little to no Raw I've found them better than most here. Raw Wwll start getting good again in about a month though as it usually does.

NXT is super dope but I only watch the special events for that. Don't want to spoil my impressions for when they come or don't come to the main roster. I accept though that it is pretty much the best weekly wrassling TV show in the world.

Ministry theme is great, but there are ones that are better. I think the Ministry theme is the HBK/Hart iron man match of wrestler themes. It is really fucking good, and probably one of the best, but overrated.

And both are probably my favorite, but I can definitely see how others would be better.

Omega

Banned
Special events is the only way to watch NXT.

Ministry theme is great, but there are ones that are better. I think the Ministry theme is the HBK/Hart iron man match of wrestler themes. It is really fucking good, and probably one of the best, but overrated.

And both are probably my favorite, but I can definitely see how others would be better.

Jake the Snake has the GOAT theme

Omega

Banned
I disagree. NXT is consistently really really good. See no reason to skip the weekly episodes in favor of just the special events.

their commentary makes me want to end my life

It's worse than the main show. maybe it's just me being numb to their shittyness..who knows

their commentary makes me want to end my life

It's worse than the main show. maybe it's just me being numb to their shittyness..who knows

The commentary is super bad. Getting rid of Regal was the worst thing they ever did. Renee is just not going to work out as a commentator and that's fine as she's clearly brilliant at being the pre-show host and interviewer. Albert and the two guys that sound exactly the same are never going to get better either. Ditch them.

But I do find it easier to zone out on the commentary on NXT than I do on the main show, as the crowd is usually really hot.

Commentary on NXT is preeeeetty bad and Alex Riley is just as bad as JBL was, but JBL has been doubling down on the awful lately so i think RAW commentary edges it out still

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I just don't are for Dean or Seth's themes is all and yeah I agree I found Breezes old theme to be superior, his new one sucks ass.

I like both Breeze themes. The old one still has the edge for me, but the new one is super cool too. I always love it when a wrestler gets a new theme that's also good. Twice the stuff to listen to. Like today in the thread where there are three cool versions of Vader's theme.

Qe2yDWK.gif

Edit: But it does suck when the new stuff sucks. I was listening to the Dark Souls 2 soundtrack and it's bad. Only like one memorable one in the whole thing. They couldn't even afford to use real instruments despite Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 having real instruments. The poors.

That Ryback interview thing makes me sad just like his tweets. "We all work hurt and don't complain!" like man, that's why you gotta change the way this place does business. Form a union. A Ryback union. Prove you aren't a dumb fuck. Get these people good independent health care that allows them to take the time they need off when they get injured without repercussions from WWE.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
That Ryback interview thing makes me sad just like his tweets. "We all work hurt and don't complain!" like man, that's why you gotta change the way this place does business. Form a union. A Ryback union. Prove you aren't a dumb fuck. Get these people good independent health care that allows them to take the time they need off when they get injured without repercussions from WWE.
Carny culture, it would take big names to make a positive health change like Cena but everyone already knows about his wild work ethic.

I just watched Tanahashi vs Okada from the Kings of Pro Wrestling 2013. Amazing, amazing match. I'm told they had a better one earlier in the year, but my goooooooooooooood what a match.

I'm glad I got NJPW World.

Top Bottom