• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date
The dirty dirt sheetz are reporting that THE Brian Kendrick was backstage at NXT tonight.

roman-reigns-wwe-champ.jpg

guy has the potential to backfire. I honestly don't think he's been in the ring long enough for the crowd to actually see how unskilled he is and how much work he still needs. I think vince is a bit desperate to establish a new star. no clue what the future holds for this guy but I'm pretty sure he wont have most crowds on his side for very long. wonder how they will spin the fans booing him like they did with cena.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No one is good in WWE when doing the "WWE Top Face" template everyone gets. Even Punk, one of the best mic workers in the last decade, was lame as a "WWE Top Face".
Even Cena sucks at that template, and he IS the template.

I think Cena is fine at it. And pretty much only him.

Stang, hilariously enough, would have pulled it off perfectly even ten years ago. Better yet, twenty years ago. Stang was like Vince's wet dream of a top star.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
WWE needs less 'come out to the ring and cut a long face promo' and more quick, pre recorded ones. Bret sucked when he had interviews and promos, but they were usually pretty short and you got behind him again when he'd have his weekly matches because he made a convincing face due to his desire to keep his title while giving everyone a shot and not just putting up his title on PPVs.

All of their faces with an artificial edge just come off as phony as fuck. Bitch.
I think Cena is fine at it. And pretty much only him.

Stang, hilariously enough, would have pulled it off perfectly even ten years ago. Better yet, twenty years ago. Stang was like Vince's wet dream of a top star.

That's because Surferjan Stengans is the prototype of John Cena.

Kaladin

Pretty much. Meltzer even said in his recap the women's match was very Japanese influenced. Which is no surprise because Sasha is a big joshi fan.

That match was the shit. Just wish they'd take women's wrestling that seriously on the main roster.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Honestly, the crowd would pretty much reject any real attempt to turn him heel at this point.

He'd have to strangle kittens, cheat on his wife (wait no, that would be a face move) lay down with the belt to give it to someone else, play the guitar, revive the what chant, join up with SADDAM HOOOOSAIIINNN, kill a make a wish kid on screen to be heel again.

I don't know, maybe a tweener then? I just want him to be an intense ass kicker but I know that's not the "WWE way" or whatever fucking excuse there is for it.

Even CM Punk, who is ten times the heel Bryan is kept getting cheered as a heel. It won't happen.

Bryan's size in the WWE makes him a character babyface. It won't work anymore.

Why are we even talking about Bryan?

Cena's got a big match this Sunday and Reigns was a highlight of the NXT event. Stay focused, friends.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You can turn Hogan, Austin, and Rock heel. You could easily turn Bryan. All you'd need is another strong face who wasn't shoved down peoples throats by WWE Creative.

Eventually maybe, but two of those had the fans starting to turn on them and Austin had to work extremely hard not to get cheered.

Angle was another one who had to put in serious fucking work to not be cheered like crazy.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Eventually maybe, but two of those had the fans starting to turn on them and Austin had to work extremely hard not to get cheered.

Angle was another one who had to put in serious fucking work to not be cheered like crazy.

Angle had no problem being a heel until he wrestled John Cena. Spoiler alert: It's because John Cena is a bad babyface. If they had put Angle turning heel on like a Eddie Guerrero? Angle would have gotten booed in the first week.

It's not so much about 'I don't like this guy because he's a bad guy' anymore and more about 'Well I'm going to cheer for the one who is less shit.'

Kaladin

I have good feels about Owens vs Zayn. If they do it right, this feud could be nuclear for WWE. Think about it, these guys have been working together for years both feuding and in a tag team. They know each other so well, and know how to work each other.

I've got good feels friends, good feels.

Bryan's got another good heel turn left in him. Assuming he still has a career.

Yeah, Bryan is going to absolutely suck except for in the ring from this point forward. creative team and vince just isn't willing to do anything wild with the product anymore.

babyface bryan post WM30 is so bland and all he does is come out, does "yes" chant, and goes for cheap face pops by complimenting the crowd and saying corny insults to heels.

the underdog aggressive daniel bryan is over.

Striker

No one is good in WWE when doing the "WWE Top Face" template everyone gets. Even Punk, one of the best mic workers in the last decade, was lame as a "WWE Top Face".
Even Cena sucks at that template, and he IS the template.
Only guys in the past 20 years who can do it good-great are Austin, Rock, and Angle. Bret would be on the next level. Jericho and Guerrero could have been but they weren't at the top, really.

Gotta be able to do some comedy well along with making heels look good.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shawn Michaels pre-spinal injruy might be the worst babyface of all time.

Him or Diesel. At least HBK could have matches with everyone and sell properly. Diesel looked silly when put in peril and had a years worth of fights against big men because of it and therefore had a year's worth of awful Championship matches.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Sometimes I think the only reason Bret was over as a face was because they saw Shawn as their other option when they were both faces. And everyone who wasn't a female or a child was like 'fuck that, get behind Bret.' Though apparently Bret had a large female and children demo too.

was roman reigns on that nxt event?

what happened and why was he in it? How did the crowd take it?

anybody who watched fill me in pls.

He stepped into frame to read some lines off a cue card and said he wants to be the first NXT alum to win the WWE WHC. I can't really tell if the noise was positive or negative.

The only bad part of the NXT show was when the "WWE Superstar of the Year" showed up.

As soon as I heard those boos, I was bracing myself for 10+ years of Roman's schtick. Again though, you show a picture of Roman Reigns and then a picture of Bryan and I think we both know the answer of who seems more legitimate. Hard pill to swallow, I know.

Kaladin

Even coked out of his mind he was better at promos. ZIggler does have the occasional inspirational speech in him that's quite good but day in and day out he is not good at all on the mic.

I don't mean at promos, I mean in the ring. Ziggler doesn't have the natural charisma HBK did.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sometimes I think the only reason Bret was over as a face was because they saw Shawn as their other option when they were both faces. And everyone who wasn't a female or a child was like 'fuck that, get behind Bret.' Though apparently Bret had a large female and children demo too.

There's definitely a reason why they always went back to Bret. Fans never did stop liking him even after the turn. They just liked Austin more.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, it's kind of crazy to me watching WCW and WWF during the Monday Night Wars and noticing something that Dutch Mantell said. That TNA was made to try to get the WCW crowd. That the WCW crowd didn't go to WWE, they just stopped watching. And I get it, from watching stuff from 94 up to 2000 in WCW, the crowd IS different. I watched WCW mostly during that time but sometimes checked out WWE. I think the only reason I watched WWE was to see when WCW guys came over like when Scott Steiner did since he was always one of my favorites.

But just watching reactions, looking at the people, it really is two different crowds. Nowadays, that doesn't exist. There's so much crossover fans in WWE, indies, overseas stuff.
There's definitely a reason why they always went back to Bret. Fans never did stop liking him even after the turn. They just liked Austin more.

That's what makes it the best 'heel/face turn at the same time' of all time though. Because there is no blatant turn. Austin was getting cheered as a 'heel' and Bret was getting booed as a face, but neither character changed. To this day, I think it's the best turn in wrestling. And there's two of them. Austin being an unwilling hero, Bret doing what he always did but being frustrated at being left behind by his fans for not being some loudmouth, abrasive guy. It's awesome.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've been watching on and off since 2008 and I've noticed something about Cena that a lot of us talk about but never really go into detail about why he is different from Hogan.

Now Hogan would always recruit buddies to be Hulkamanics and all of them would turn on him eventually because either Hogan would throw them out of a Royal Rumble or Hogan would upstage them so many times via run-in to help them out that they'd get sick of it. Sometimes you'd get sitcom misunderstandings like he had with Macho Man. Hogan was not a great friend but he would in fact run in to help a brother out. Everytime.

Cena meanwhile never fucking runs in to help anyone out. Ever. They in fact briefly referenced this when he was recruiting Ryback. I guess this makes Cena smart as he practically never has to take a whooping by a big heel faction for doing what is right...but he never does what is right! Eventually these friends fade away or turn on him...but don't they have a good reason to? At best Cena will eventually forget about you, at worst you take some beatdowns from his rivals and he doesn't do shit about it. Maybe steals your girl/catchphrase/raise your hand oddly.

That's what makes it the best 'heel/face turn at the same time' of all time though. Because there is no blatant turn. Austin was getting cheered as a 'heel' and Bret was getting booed as a face, but neither character changed. To this day, I think it's the best turn in wrestling. And there's two of them. Austin being an unwilling hero, Bret doing what he always did but being frustrated at being left behind by his fans for not being some loudmouth, abrasive guy. It's awesome.

It is. It really is.

DMczaf

I just realized that NXT's PPV schedule follows NWA/WCW where the last PPV of the year is the culmination of storylines

Triple h, you smarky ass territory fanboy.

Kaladin

I just realized that NXT's PPV schedule follows NWA/WCW where the last PPV of the year is the culmination of storylines

Triple h, you smarky ass territory fanboy.

It's funny, part of the storyline with the removal of The Authority was how Raw would be a worse place without Triple H running things.

When in reality, he's running NXT and it's a much much better place.

Top Bottom