• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| PUT A Z-PAK ON THE THREAD, PAL. YOU'RE WORKING TONIGHT

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
cant find a video of it, but can you imagine a wrestlemania Balor entrance like that crazy one he had against Okada? with the slow zombie walk and shit :O

never going to happen in a million years

Kaladin

So Sami Zayn's Road To Redemption is the story of the year, right?

Simple booking, based on telling a story in the ring, effective, ending delivered with a promise for a great follow up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Think about it; everyone's going ape shit over a title change for the NXT CHAMPIONSHIP. Not WWE. Really goes to show how much everyone sees that title now. It's like the second most prestigious belt in the company now.

I actually see NXT as its own separate thing. Non-Canon™ if you wheel, daddy.

strobogo

Banned
Remember the other day when I was talking about how the only title wins that really matter are the ones that are a reward to the wrestler and the fans? Sami's win is exactly the thing I was talking about. That was an important title win. Probably more than if Sami were to one day win the WWE Championship.

The dirty dirt sheetz are reporting that THE Brian Kendrick was backstage at NXT tonight.

Say what you will about the current WWE product, but that title still has it's history you can't deny.

Now give me pictures that prove me completely wrong
not Bryan, you fucks

roman-reigns-wwe-champ.jpg

Ithil

So Sami Zayn's Road To Redemption is the story of the year, right?

Simple booking, based on telling a story in the ring, effective, ending delivered with a promise for a great follow up.

It's such a slow burn, that the story actually began in 2013, in the Autumn, and it didn't end until just now, the very end of 2014. That's a slow burn, and what a great payoff.

With an instant sequel hook, too. That story is finished, Sami vs Owens is the next story.

TL21xx

Banned
Nominations sent in Sunny!

REvolution was awesome. I think everyone has driven my feelings on it into the ground, that was wrestling at its best.

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
It's such a slow burn, that the story actually began in 2013, in the Autumn, and it didn't end until just now, the very end of 2014. That's a slow burn, and what a great payoff.

With an instant sequel hook, too. That story is finished, Sami vs Owens is the next story.
To be perfectly honest, it felt like this was the direction they were headed since his debut. It really felt like he was the main character of NXT, which is weird considering it's a wrestling program.

Ithil

To be perfectly honest, it felt like this was the direction they were headed since his debut. It really felt like he was the main character of NXT, which is weird considering it's a wrestling program.

Well this is exactly what HHH said about Sami in the NXT conference call yesterday. That he's not as flashy as someone like Neville (though Sami does do lots of spectacular things), not as fancy looking as others, so he might not be as instantly over, but over time he gets you invested in him emotionally, and while it's a slow burn, you are absolutely behind him by the end.
And this was just the proof. Look at how 100% in love with him the crowd was, how often have you seen a crowd this completely behind a babyface? Not a lot.

Basically Sami is a slow burn kind of character, but the payoff is worth it.

Terrabyte20xx

Well this is exactly what HHH said about Sami in the NXT conference call yesterday. That he's not as flashy as someone like Neville (though Sami does do lots of spectacular things), not as fancy looking as others, so he might not be as instantly over, but over time he gets you invested in him emotionally, and while it's a slow burn, you are absolutely behind him by the end.
And this was just the proof. Look at how 100% in love with him the crowd was, how often have you seen a crowd this completely behind a babyface? Not a lot.

I think the important part of this recipe is that once he gets over, he STAYS over, a quality that 99% of wrestlers don't have.

Exis

Just watch rEvolution and it is the best wrestling program I have seen all year.
"Sami Zanyn if fucke-out of the business"

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

That's fine when you're performing in front of the same hardcore crowd every single week. But how will that translate to different venues every night in different cities with different kinds of crowds? He can't stay at NXT forever because that's not the purpose of it. I have real doubts about him being anything beyond Kofi Kingston when he's out of Full Sail.

Zach

I was expecting him to break out in some sort of interpretive dance. THe paint looks boss as hell just get to the damn ring already.

Heh, I actually said to my watch partner "I think this is wrestling's take on interpretive dance."

Oh and that reminds me -- and I'm looking at you, NeoGAF Vince McMahon -- she (the watch partner) hated The Ascension and said they were "an Affliction T-shirt personified." :D

Ithil

That's fine when you're performing in front of the same hardcore crowd every single week. But how will that translate to different venues every night in different cities with different kinds of crowds? He can't stay at NXT forever because that's not the purpose of it. I have real doubts about him being anything beyond Kofi Kingston when he's out of Full Sail.

Kofi Kingston can't talk for shit and has no charisma.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Heh, I actually said to my watch partner "I think this is wrestling's take on interpretive dance."

Oh and that reminds me -- and I'm looking at you, NeoGAF Vince McMahon -- she (the watch partner) hated The Ascension and said they were "an Affliction T-shirt personified." :D

I'm not stopping the comparison until I get it over The Ascension is Kronik 2.0. Except they look like they were thought up the same year Kronink was thought up. Like 1999.

Terrabyte20xx

Can't wait to see you eat crow in a few years...

If there's anything to believe in, it's that nothing is ever EARNED in the WWE anymore. I mean it's hard to do so when everything is so pre-determined but yet they still give off that vibe. Everything forced and you will like it damn it!

Can't wait to see you eat crow in a few years...

Says the guy in a Cesaro avi....sorry bro just had to say it.

It just goes down to booking really. You really expect someone like Bo Dallas to work? Someone so gimmick heavy to shake the ground? I totally understand your sentiment of Full Sail leading talent into failure, but, Zayn is going to find a connection with the crowd because he is that talented. And for HHH to single him out as the guy he would wanna work with from NXT gotta mean something.

Ithil

It just goes down to booking really. You really expect someone like Bo Dallas to work? Someone so gimmick heavy to shake the ground? I totally understand your sentiment of Full Sail leading talent into failure, but, Zayn is going to find a connection with the crowd because he is that talented. And for HHH to single him out as the guy he would wanna work with from NXT gotta mean something.

Also, Sami has gotten over huge in front of every audience he's ever worked. He'll get over on RAW.

Kaladin

How long has it been since WWE picked up a feud like Owens vs Zayn that had been hot elsewhere?

They did a few things with Punk vs Bryan, but not on the level of a real feud.

Owens vs Zayn could be nuclear for WWE if done right.

Ithil

14183612917103sub7.png

Don't tease me, bro.

How long has it been since WWE picked up a feud like Owens vs Zayn that had been hot elsewhere?

They did a few things with Punk vs Bryan, but not on the level of a real feud.

Owens vs Zayn could be nuclear for WWE if done right.

The closest I got is Ambrose vs Rollins, which was a really great feud in FCW (but with Ambrose heel and Rollins face) but even that is WWE.

And you know what....he could run circles around Bryan with the stick.

But no, the OLE chant is over, not him.

cue samizaynstretcherintwoyears.gif cause it's so funny

Bryan's underrated on the mic by smarks no less. Y'all are weird. You don't get to his level of over by sucking. Not to say he's great but he's genuine, and that's the type of thing that can overcome unfavorable writing.

Kaladin

Is it just me, or did I see Charlotte pull of a variation of that move Ibushi does where he goes for the moonsault and misses after the opponent rolls out of the way, but hits them with a second flip?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

She doesn't understand what it's like being a 1000 Year Old Pharaoh.

Bryan's underrated on the mic. You don't get to his level of over by sucking. Not to say he's great but he's genuine, and that's the type of thing that can overcome unfavorable writing.

Totally, Angry, insecure as fuck 2013 Bryan is my all-time favorite character. The material they give him almost feels malicious. Honestly, that injury is a blessing if the dirtsheets were right and they were gonna give him the Rey treatment.

But Sami's promo last week was so GRIPPING.

Ithil

Is it just me, or did I see Charlotte pull of a variation of that move Ibushi does where he goes for the moonsault and misses after the opponent rolls out of the way, but hits them with a second flip?

Pretty much. Meltzer even said in his recap the women's match was very Japanese influenced. Which is no surprise because Sasha is a big joshi fan.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bryan is legit bad on the mic as a face.

Kane carried him through the comedy duo that eventually got him over.

He's fine as a heel though. Which he will never ever again be in the WWE.

Ithil

No one is good in WWE when doing the "WWE Top Face" template everyone gets. Even Punk, one of the best mic workers in the last decade, was lame as a "WWE Top Face".
Even Cena sucks at that template, and he IS the template.

Totally, Angry, insecure as fuck 2013 Bryan is my all-time favorite character. The material they give him almost feels malicious. Honestly, that injury is a blessing if the dirtsheets were right and they were gonna give him the Rey treatment.

That's the truth. It's also made ol' Davey Boy Mark Meltzer to realize he was a legitimate draw, so here's hoping WWE realized that somewhere along the way too.

Zayn is better at playing firey babyface. It's all different. Who knows how he'll be scripted on the main roster. Man God out of his mind right now, that's for sure.

Bryan is legit bad on the mic as a face.

Kane carried him through the comedy duo that eventually got him over.

He's fine as a heel though. Which he will never ever again be in the WWE.

tumblr_inline_mhrkct22TZ1qmb6vf.gif

No one is good in WWE when doing the "WWE Top Face" template everyone gets. Even Punk, one of the best mic workers in the last decade, was lame as a "WWE Top Face".
Even Cena sucks at that template, and he IS the template.

I blame The Rock.

His formula forced creative to make any top face a comedy character or something un-natural about them. Maybe Roman will change that, but those bitch promos are telling me otherwise.

Top Bottom