• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Sinacember to Remember

Kaladin

Cross Post with TLC:

That end segment still bugs me. Roman Reigns showed fire, and emotion.

Where was that during the match with Sheamus? Both him and Sheamus didn't put anything into that match. I don't even want to say it was going through the motions, it was more like going through the motions half ass.

But then the match ends, with the flattest ending for a TLC match ever in Roman failing to get back on the ladder or even topple the ladder before Sheamus grabs the belt he finds the fire needed during the match and takes it out on Sheamus and God King Hunter.

I don't get it. He's good in big angles, but sucks the life out of matches and can't cut a promo to save his life...and it's not the material, you can save shitty tater tots.

klonere

Banned

faSnEWs.gif

I'm just shocked at WWE hiring legit play by play guys and not someone they've trained for their product.

It will go as well as the Mike Adamle era.

Remember when people were psyched about Joey Styles doing commentary?

Speaking of which, I watched a YouTube interview of Sasha Banks post-match just now... And is she just wrestling in a bikini nowadays?

I mean, it's up to her of course, but isn't that kind of counter-productive to the whole divas revolution shtick?

Both Charlotte's and Sasha's gear seems to have shrunk since they moved to the main roster.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of which, I watched a YouTube interview of Sasha Banks post-match just now... And is she just wrestling in a bikini nowadays?

I mean, it's up to her of course, but isn't that kind of counter-productive to the whole divas revolution shtick?

It is up to her, and is not counter-productive to an empowering movement. The point is she should not be shamed for choosing what she wants to wear. She's not saying "REAL women do THIS" with a bikini or a fur coat and slippers ensemble - pick what you want, and it's not that it doesn't matter, it's that it only matters to her. The "she should put on some damn clothes" angle to this sort of choice is overly puritanical and suggests she should be ashamed of wearing what makes her feel badass.

Aiii

So not worth it
It is up to her, and is not counter-productive to an empowering movement. The point is she should not be shamed for choosing what she wants to wear. She's not saying "REAL women do THIS" with a bikini or a fur coat and slippers ensemble - pick what you want, and it's not that it doesn't matter, it's that it only matters to her. The "she should put on some damn clothes" angle to this sort of choice is overly puritanical and suggests she should be ashamed of wearing what makes her feel badass.

Listen. I'll gladly discuss this with you, but there was no shaming in my post, nor was there any demand that she should cover up. So kindly keep your hyperbole to yourself.

My post is simple, the outfit chosen seems to me to be more about pandering to the crowd who want eye candy as it hardly seems like the best outfit to wrestle in (kind of like sexist MMORPG armor, really), and thus counter-productive to the idea that the women want to be taken as serious competitors, rather than eye-candy distraction for the predominantly male crowds. If you disagree with that, fine, I'll gladly discuss that.

But none of this, "you sexist pig, how dare you question what this woman is wearing." nonsense, because that's nowhere in my original post.

Aiii

So not worth it
Nearly all the women wrestle in the same sparkly underwear. You've got like, Bayley, Asuka, Dana, and Nia Jax who don't.

But does anyone think less of a Bayley or Asuka for wrestling in actual gear that one might find themself doing heavy exercise in?

I mean, I can't imagine a legit fighter in MMA coming into the ring in something like that and even though everyone is "in" on WWE being fake fighting, wouldn't it make more sense that competitors were in something more "legit."

I dunno, I know I'm overthinking it, but far as I know the whole point of the Divas Revolution is to give the women's division more legitimacy and I'm finding it hard to suspend my disbelief here.

Ithil

I've complained before about how they have all these very different looking women, but have almost all of them dress the same with the same ridiculously long hair extensions. It's like they have a default look and all that's allowed to be different is the hair color coding, since everyone has to have different coloured hair now or something.

There's such a lack of variety that Bayley simply having a ponytail stands out.

Kaladin

Divas might as well be in full ring gear, the lot of them wear full leg stockings with their attire so you don't even see any skin.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Listen. I'll gladly discuss this with you, but there was no shaming in my post, nor was there any demand that she should cover up. So kindly keep your hyperbole to yourself.

My post is simple, the outfit chosen seems to me to be more about pandering to the crowd who want eye candy as it hardly seems like the best outfit to wrestle in (kind of like sexist MMORPG armor, really), and thus counter-productive to the idea that the women want to be taken as serious competitors, rather than eye-candy distraction for the predominantly male crowds. If you disagree with that, fine, I'll gladly discuss that.

But none of this, "you sexist pig, how dare you question what this woman is wearing." nonsense, because that's nowhere in my original post.

I wasn't specifically talking about you at all, but the perception that women ought to cover up is what the very general problem is. I'm speaking in pretty broad strokes about culture as a whole and it's honestly not about you at all nor singling you out, so no need for any kind of defensiveness. Anyway, you'll find nearly none of wrestling fans say that guys need to cover up, or that it's odd that they don't look dressed for the weight room, etc. There's a worldwide culture of control of women and that's why it's important that if a woman wants to dress in what makes her feel sexy, she can, and shouldn't be receiving pressure to change, no matter what her body type.

And again, I PROMISE, I wasn't getting on you at all or trying to put words in your mouth - just talking about why these different aspects of how people in general communicate their desire to control how women are portrayed, regardless of whether it's trying to strip them butt-ass nekkid or cover them up.

I'm gonna go look at tits.

Sephzilla

It's not a matter of me wanting women to cover up more, but every diva basically wrestling in bikini's has become the "every guy in black trunks" issue that the men's division has.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's not a matter of me wanting women to cover up more, but everyone basically wrestling in bikini's has become the "every guy in black trunks" issue that the men's division has.

Eh? Is that a thing? Besides NJPW's young lions?

Rutti

Watching a Ricochet match feels pretty weird when I have only seen him as Prince Puma. That shoulder tattoo isn't helping either.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Watching a Ricochet match feels pretty weird when I have only seen him as Prince Puma. That shoulder tattoo isn't helping either.

Honestly I enjoy his Ricochet work more. Lots more fun matchups. You'll have a good time watching no matter what, he's fantastic anywhere he goes.

Aiii

So not worth it
I wasn't specifically talking about you at all, but the perception that women ought to cover up is what the very general problem is. I'm speaking in pretty broad strokes about culture as a whole and it's honestly not about you at all nor singling you out, so no need for any kind of defensiveness. Anyway, you'll find nearly none of wrestling fans say that guys need to cover up, or that it's odd that they don't look dressed for the weight room, etc. There's a worldwide culture of control of women and that's why it's important that if a woman wants to dress in what makes her feel sexy, she can, and shouldn't be receiving pressure to change, no matter what her body type.

And again, I PROMISE, I wasn't getting on you at all or trying to put words in your mouth - just talking about why these different aspects of how people in general communicate their desire to control how women are portrayed, regardless of whether it's trying to strip them butt-ass nekkid or cover them up.

I'm gonna go look at tits.

My apologies for misinterpreting your post, in that case.

The thing here is that I wasn't so much commenting on women dressing to be sexy, per se. But more that what they're wearing isn't wrestling gear, as in, and I'm no expert on having boobs in any sense, I can't imagine doing grappling moves in what is essentially a bikini to be a very pleasant experience. And that makes it hard for me to see it in the context of trying to legitimize the women's division.

I mean, all I'm essentially trying to argue (albeit poorly) is that I want wrestling to make more of an effort pretending they're a legitimate sport again, having ring gear that makes it seem like it's being worn because it's the most comfortable thing to beat ass in is a part of it.

For the same reason I hate Reigns' gear. Who on Earth would wear something that just makes it easier for other guys to grab you and throw you around. Rollins had it right, just wear slick rubbery shit that people can't hold on to.

notworksafe

Really enjoyed the PPV last night, especially the tag team ladder match. That was really something else, good job to everyone involved there. Ryback/Rusev was really a "whatever" thing. Not great but not bad, just sorta there. Really enjoyed ADR talking and wrestling like an excellent heel again, good match.

ECW/Wyatts was a bit strange. I guess I just expected more but there were a couple good spots. The one thing that really annoyed me was teasing fire but not delivering. What a letdown! Ambrose/Owens was a really fun match to watch and a good palate cleanser from all the gimmick matches going on. And of course I'm glad to see my boy Dean get a title too. Charlotte's match was enjoyable too, I love seeing those old school heel tricks. I feel like this is just going to lead to another match with Paige though, and I'd prefer to see this feud move on to someone else but I guess we'll see what happens tonight.

The main event was really a letdown. Maybe that isn't the right word. I wasn't actually expecting much because WWE main events have just been boring in general lately but this one was especially dull. Very "by the book" ladder match. At least with the aftermath we have a spark of something interesting. Roman actually showing some emotion and the crowd getting behind him. This has potential to be a really good turning point for him as a character, I hope WWE can make it work.

This has probably already been discussed, but Roman's attacking Triple H didn't make much sense to me, just like him spearing him at Survivor Series. Triple H hasn't done anything to Roman in months. Roman is coming off as a dirtbag.

Top Bottom