• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Sinacember to Remember

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
VINCENT

KENNEDY

MCMAHON

That and sensible booking up and down the line, and a few really quite good matches.
I think the logical and sensible booking went a LONG way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Rumble_(2015)

Beyond, you know, understanding what Philadelphians are actually like outside of hearing snippets of crowd noise on a televised wrestling program.

I don't seem to recall the cesspool of overly aggressive assholes being cleansed since the 90s down there.
Man, I forgot about #CancelWWENetwork. I wonder who here said they were cancelling, but never did.
s50yprd.gif

notworksafe

So here's the question - what ACTUALLY changed that made this Raw great? Can you put into words the specific things that you noticed that made this Raw exceptionally good?

The matches were especially strong. Having a good, long hardcore match in Philly leads to the crowd being hype, which makes for good TV. The talking segments that were on the show were worthwhile, mostly got right to the point or were entertaining on the way there (opening aside).

Plus there were unexpected things happening on Raw with Vince's return and an actual title change. That alone is a good thing, Raw has become too predictible. More unexpected moments (that make sense and aren't just for shock value) are a good thing to have on a show like this.

Kaiterra

Banned
If Cena is facing Roman at WM, who is winning the Rumble? I have no interest in Cena getting another one of those, but Roman losing the title AGAIN in such a short time would be some real bullshit.

So screw all that, at least this year.

And don't repeat WM31's main event yet.

Roman can be your hottest face act when you're not busy fucking it up. Stop fucking up with him and let it just go properly. Meanwhile the hottest heel act is New Day, and Kofi Kingston has been practicing for years how to not lose the Rumble. Let him actually win it this time, then Freebird Rule the WMStar title shot off to Big E.

If you're not confident about that as a main event, then let Cena/Taker go on last.

Man, I forgot about #CancelWWENetwork. I wonder who here said they were cancelling, but never did.

I said I'd cancel, and I did.

So here's the question - what ACTUALLY changed that made this Raw great? Can you put into words the specific things that you noticed that made this Raw exceptionally good?

No sign of 50/50 booking (Wyatts won again, Charlotte won and seems to have moved on from Paige, Rusev won again). Roman was finally actually made to look like a badass and the main event was really well-booked. The IC title stuff was interesting because they made Owens look really strong and actually let him cut a promo. Obviously it wasn't perfect, and it could all fall apart if they just go back to normal next week. But this week worked well.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Why do people still hate Eva Marie?

And Nia Jax is straight 🚮 on the mic. She looked so terrified and uncomfortable
Years ago the Internet told them she was horrible. First impressions last forever for some people.

Personally I think she has incredible potential everywhere but in-ring, but a lot of that can be taught. Her mic work is fantastic for her character.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea

Shit happened.

I didn't watch the whole 3 hours, but at least shit was happening when I was watching it.

Not to mention it seems like that the shit that happened tonight will have consequences in the future.

Oh, and Roman didn't look, sound and acted like a complete goober. There's room for improvement, but this was probably the best he's looked since mid 2014. When the guy you're pushing doesn't look like a jackass and is motivated, it helps a ton.

UberTag

Roman can be your hottest face act when you're not busy fucking it up. Stop fucking up with him and let it just go properly. Meanwhile the hottest heel act is New Day, and Kofi Kingston has been practicing for years how to not lose the Rumble. Let him actually win it this time, then Freebird Rule the WMStar title shot off to Big E.

If you're not confident about that as a main event, then let Cena/Taker go on last.
Now see... that right there is 'effing creative booking. Just imagine the reaction to Kofi actually winning the Rumble when we actually expect him to do his little annual miraculous elimination avoidance fake out and get tossed over immediately afterwards.

I don't care if you have Big E out there to catch Kofi the entire match and Xavier running interference. I would mark out for that moment.

Years ago the Internet told them she was horrible. First impressions last forever for some people.

Personally I think she has incredible potential everywhere but in-ring, but a lot of that can be taught. Her mic work is fantastic for her character.

Her mic work is stilted and awful when not pre-taped. Her in-ring can be taught, but considering the shockingly slow progress she made with Kendrick, she's a hell of a long way from being anything above mediocre, and that's being generous. She gets heat because she's bad. That's the best thing you can say about her. And yeah, it's more than you can say for most of the other NXT talent, so I guess it can be spun to a positive. But it's the only positive I'll give her.

Kaiterra

Banned
Her mic work is fantastic for her character.

That's only because her character is literally built around her being shitty at everything. Which is, admittedly, a 5-star use of her talents and actually made that match with Bayley really fun.

Basically what Eva Marie proves is that you can get anyone over if you actually try and work with their strengths and weaknesses.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why doesn't Neville do the standing red arrow? Looks way cooler and has way less obvious setup.

Kaiterra

Banned
Just goes to show you that Philly crowds know good wrestling.

See, if Roman's Rumble win had actually not been so limp and weak with him spending so much of it in the corner, getting cheap eliminations and getting saved by his cooler, bigger cousin, I have to wonder if Philly would have actually dumped on him. At least the way they did. I mean it was just a year before he was being cheered to win the Rumble.

Ithil

See, if Roman's Rumble win had actually not been so limp and weak with him spending so much of it in the corner, getting cheap eliminations and getting saved by his cooler, bigger cousin, I have to wonder if Philly would have actually dumped on him. At least the way they did. I mean it was just a year before he was being cheered to win the Rumble.

They were shitting on him when pictures of him appeared on the tron, let alone when his music hit in the actual match. There was nothing they could have done that night to stop him being booed other than "Don't win the Rumble".
See if they hadn't jumped the gun a year ago and this time period right now was his first ever push into the main event (and if they also removed his vocal cords). he would have had a lot less resistance.

Mizerman

I don't know know if this means something, but I've never subscribed to the WWE Network.

Truthfully? When they didn't have Reigns continue as the goofy, joke telling face that they've been trying to get over for all this time. When he was acting like how he was during the Shield and mid-2014 version, it was something decent.

Lol the usual suspects in here in full damage control mode. Sorry kids.

You're awfully skilled at that, yourself.

Kaiterra

Banned
They were shitting on him when pictures of him appeared on the tron, let alone when his music hit in the actual match. There was nothing they could have done that night to stop him being booed.

They didn't even try though. I might be overly optimistic in thinking so, but I really think that night didn't just go down the way it did because of the fans as so many people in this thread like to whine. I think you just give Bryan a better performance, don't do that whole bit where Big Show and Kane just dump everyone out of the ring, and let Roman actually be a badass, and even early 2015 Sufferin'-Succotash-stink-bearing Roman Reigns could've gotten a positive reaction for winning that match.

bigkrev

It's funny, before the main event, I was ready to trash the show. I've been to several PPVs and Smackdowns, but somehow had never been to a Raw taping before, and the way the show flowed with all the breaks just made the show feel like it was 6 hours long. Just constant darkness and replaying of the same commercials over and over and over again. 3 minutes of darkness and commercials, come back for a Titantron segment, and then 3 more minutes of commercials. We saw "highlights" from last night no less than 6 times through the night! There were only 5 matches on the whole 3 hours of the show (6 if you count the minute of Dallas vs Truth), and 2 of them (The Diva's match and the Breeze match) were under 5 minute nothings.

Main event and the aftermath saved the show though, and I ended up really happy that I went.

It's damage control to point out the claim that "Philadelphia is the smarkiest city in the world!" in 2015 is silly.

Ok.

I'll explain it in a way Sunny didn't feel like, ahem: if you don't understand the significance of making a crowd that booed not only you but your family member the fucking Rock exactly 11 months ago cheer you nonstop and celebrate your title win today, it's useless to engage you

I'll explain it in a way Sunny didn't feel like, ahem: if you don't understand the significance of making a crowd that booed not only you but your family member the fucking Rock exactly 11 months ago cheer you nonstop and celebrate your title win today, it's useless to engage you

The counter-argument is that it isn't the same crowd. Not only do Raws and PPVs pull different audiences in general (PPV crowds typically more smarky), but it has been shown in the past few years that the RR has become like WM in the sense that the crowd is a combo of people from the area and people traveling across the country. Like I said earlier, it'd be like if next week's Raw was in San Jose and you compared it to the Raw after WM crowd from this year.

Ithil

Where are you even reading any of this from? I didn't say anything concerning this.

Toki767

I'm kind of under the impression that the Philly crowd at the Rumble wasn't entirely all Philly. The Rumble is special enough that most people from the northeast probably travel there. Which includes the NY crowd.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
They were shitting on him when pictures of him appeared on the tron, let alone when his music hit in the actual match. There was nothing they could have done that night to stop him being booed other than "Don't win the Rumble".
See if they hadn't jumped the gun a year ago and this time period right now was his first ever push into the main event (and if they also removed his vocal cords). he would have had a lot less resistance.

The guy just came back from an injury that scrapped whatever build up he would have had in the months before the rumble. He had nothing going for him. I have no doubt he would have been the last guy on Cena's team at SS, so I think that would have warmed him up a bit with the crowds among other things.

Not to mention you had Daniel Bryan in the match too, and there was no way in hell anyone was going to be a cheered as much as that guy. (It also might have helped if he won the Rumble last year like he should have so his elimination wouldn't have broken the crowd.)

Of course, even if people liked Roman, that wouldn't have made the Rumble match suck any less.

Kaiterra

Banned
I don't get what anybody crowing about "Haha LOOK EVEN PHILLY" thinks that proves. The prevailing argument has hardly been that Reigns is not talented or deserving of a top spot. They just happened to get everything ELSE needed in place properly for one night to avoid unintentionally making him look bad. The real test will be seeing if that sticks.

Ithil

The guy just came back from an injury that scrapped whatever build up he would have had in the months before the rumble. He had nothing going for him. I have no doubt he would have been the last guy on Cena's team at SS, so I think that would have warmed him up a bit with the crowds among other things.

Not to mention you had Daniel Bryan in the match too, and there was no way in hell anyone was going to be a cheered as much as that guy. (It also might have helped if he won the Rumble last year like he should have so his elimination wouldn't have broken the crowd.)

Of course, even if people liked Roman, that wouldn't have made the Rumble match suck any less.

At this time was the "magic beeeeeeeans" type promos.

He got over by attacking Vince. Crowd was dead during his whole horrible match until the finish.

There have barely been any main events without fuck finishes this year, it undercuts good matches as crowds are trained to wait for the bullshit. Both last night and tonight's matches deserved better reactions than they got.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
At this time was the "magic beeeeeeeans" type promos.

And the "sufferin succotash" promo, right? It was pretty damn obvious Reigns would have been the one who pinned Rollins at Survivor Series since he was cutting promos on BEEG & Seth. Ziggler was banished to IC Hell so you know he was just a warm body in Reign's place.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the dumb injury update promos they had him cut. Those did him no favors. Man, it was like they were trying to push Reigns, not because he was going to be "The Guy" but because they wanted to see how much they could get away with pushing a cornball into the Wrestlemania main event.

Top Bottom