• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| Sinacember to Remember

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's something random about an extreme rules match where nobody gets any color

Ithil

Now that Sheamus' reign is over, we have yet another crappy MITB title reign. Is it time to kill that briefcase concept already?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Now that Sheamus' reign is over, we have yet another crappy MITB title reign. Is it time to kill that briefcase concept already?

This year was the year to kill it and they didn't do it

He got over by attacking Vince. Crowd was dead during his whole horrible match until the finish.

Uh, that match was fucking dope, just like a half-dozen other dope matches Roman has had this year, and the crowd was hot from like the halfway point until the end.

Roman ALWAYS gets the crowds into his matches, because his spots are well-suited to doing just that and were probably chosen specifically to pop the crowd and get them hype.

Velcro Fly

that feeling when Dean Ambrose is the only shield guy not to hold the WHC belt this year despite having like 3 shots at it

he's never going to hold it is he :(

that feeling when Dean Ambrose is the only shield guy not to hold the WHC belt this year despite having like 3 shots at it

Who knows. Him being Reigns's little buddy is still a prime opportunity for a massive heel turn.

Now that Reigns has the title, they better do something about the heel side of things. Sure, he will be busy with HHH until Mania, but post Mania (if he's the champ) who the hell is there to feud with?

bigkrev

Now that we are in an era of 1 world title and generally long title reigns, there are going to be a ton of guys who "deserve" the title but never get it.

UberTag

Who knows. Him being Reigns's little buddy is still a prime opportunity for a massive heel turn.

Now that Reigns has the title, they better do something about the heel side of things. Sure, he will be busy with HHH until Mania, but post Mania (if he's the champ) who the hell is there to feud with?
Probably Owens after he loses to Brock at Mania.
Maybe have Dean turn for a Summerslam match.
And then there's always a returning Rollins.
And the annual Big Show main event cup of coffee.
All sorts of options.

why does reigns always get the silent treatment from the crowd during his entrance

I'm far from a Reigns supporter (or a phony supporter), but he got a good pop when he first came out. The problem is he had three separate entrances over 4 hours of wrestling. Going to Raw these days is painful to sit through, nobody is getting up for a guy you have already seen several times.

Kaiterra

Banned
He actually earned it last year when the Roman Empire voted for him.

I mean, I can't PROVE that was faked... But I'm pretty sure that was either a work or a technical issue. I like Roman, I liked Roman last year, and I'll still never believe that without the receipts. Maybe if he hadn't gone out with injury.

I mean, I can't PROVE that was faked... But I'm pretty sure that was either a work or a technical issue. I like Roman, I liked Roman last year, and I'll still never believe that without the receipts. Maybe if he hadn't gone out with injury.

Don't waste your time

Some close to the situation privately wondered if Eric Bischoff’s biting quip earlier in the year that Vince was, “the modern day Verne Gagne,”[37] did indeed ring true. They worried that the WWF would ultimately collapse due to McMahon’s refusal to change with the times or present professional wrestling in a different way to his tired, safe, and played-out ideals.

This sounds so familiar.

Let's see if we can go a month without hearing about magic beans or tater tots before going "I told you so!"
If WWE could fuck up the summer of Punk they can fuck up anything.

Reigns really is a good talent that has been a victim of bad booking. Now it's the time we wait and see if they fuck up like usual or if a miracle happens.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea

Reigns really is a good talent that has been a victim of bad booking. Now it's the time we wait and see if they fuck up like usual or if a miracle happens.

HEY KEVIN NASH I THOUGHT THEY CALLED YOU BIG SEXY

BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THEY SHOULD BE CALLING YOU LITTLE SEXY

Gurrry

just watched raw

holy shit, it happened

that into monolouge sucked alot of last night away, just like i thought it would. they just cant let him be a beast. making another tater tot joke again was so cringeworthy i had to take a shower.

otherwise though, it was a decent raw and something of value actually happened. i guess im down to see the direction they take this.. which is inevitably going to be down hill.

They'll fuck it up but unintentionally, this is their guy they wont sabotage him. They already partially fucked up today. Remember watch ESPN tomorrow the employed Roman Reigns will be on there tomorrow.

They'll fuck it up but unintentionally, this is their guy they wont sabotage him. They already partially fucked up today. Remember watch ESPN tomorrow the employed Roman Reigns will be on there tomorrow.
Yeah, I was like you gotta be fucking kidding me.

You gotta have him as champ for promotional reasons.

Just finished RAW. That was very fun and a pretty incredible finish. Roman is super over and I'm definitely interested to see what he does as champ.

Because it's so hard to promo Sportscenter as Reigns holds the belt over his head saying tune into Roman's first interview as champion tomorrow on ESPN. It's insane how stupid that was.

Anth0ny

Because it's so hard to promo Sportscenter as Reigns holds the belt over his head saying tune into the Roman's first interview as champion tomorrow on ESPN. It's insane how stupid that was.

why not just say the winner of the match will be on espn

specifically calling out roman was dumb af

shdjNCR.gif

UberTag

Because it's so hard to promo Sportscenter as Reigns holds the belt over his head saying tune into Roman's first interview as champion tomorrow on ESPN. It's insane how stupid that was.
It's like they were worried USA would cut them off or commentary would forget if they waited until after Reigns won the title to plug SportsCenter so they were paranoid and did it beforehand despite how clearly idiotic doing so was.

Either that or they wanted to intentionally make it REALLY obvious to the slowest of fans so that they'd get all of their buddies on social media to tune in and celebrate Roman's coronation.

Just look how happy he is...

20151214_RAW_EP_LARGE_roman.jpg

why not just say the winner of the match will be on espn

specifically calling out roman was dumb af
Even that would be "kind of dumb" because Sheamus had his SportsCenter appearance right after winning at Survivor Series and it's clear they intend to parade their new flag bearer on ESPN whenever there's a big title change because of how newsworthy an event that is.

Also did they have the crowd mics way in the back or behind the hard camera turned up because it seemed like much of the reactions everyone I could see wasn't really reacting, it seemed really noticeable at the start.

Damn I forgot how much I love seeing Vince in the ring.

Best RAW in years and I'm actually interested in the product again.

Well done WWE, well done!

UberTag

Just remember guys, wrestling skills are at the back of the list of what Vince looks for in a superstar lol.

Criteria Vince looks for in a sports entertainment superstar...

1) Are they related to Dwayne?
2) Are they a big musclebound giant?
3) Can they give a good interview in mainstream media to represent the WWE brand?
4) Do they look handsome?
5) Are they related to some other WWE guy I made famous?
etc.

Actual wrestling ability and getting over with the crowd is somewhere down in the teens.

Just remember guys, wrestling skills are at the back of the list of what Vince looks for in a superstar lol.

Kind of as it should be. History has shown that there are plenty of examples of guys who can't wrestle well at all getting over at massive superstar levels because of their charisma and mic skills, whereas the opposite has rarely shown to be true.

Not to say wrestling ability isn't important or preferable, but if I'm picking between the two, I'd much rather have a charismatic guy with great mic skills who can't work than a guy who can work better than anyone but no one gives a shit about because he has no charisma.

Anth0ny

Kind of as it should be. History has shown that there are plenty of examples of guys who can't wrestle well at all getting over at massive superstar levels because of their charisma and mic skills, whereas the opposite has rarely shown to be true.

Not to say wrestling ability isn't important or preferable, but if I'm picking between the two, I'd much rather have a charismatic guy with great mic skills who can't work than a guy who can work better than anyone but no one gives a shit about because he has no charisma.

eh

even the bolded don't matter

the real criteria is:

1. Does Vince McMahon want to be this person

If yes, congratulations! You are the chosen guy. If not, fuck off into mid card obscurity. Maybe a temporary main event push just to shut the stupid fans up.

eh

even the bolded don't matter

the real criteria is:

1. Does Vince McMahon want to be this person

If yes, congratulations! You are the chosen guy. If not, fuck off into mid card obscurity. Maybe a temporary main event push just to shut the stupid fans up.

I'm not arguing about what Vince wants. We're all aware his criteria is flawed.

I'm just saying that I think actual wrestling ability is less important relative to other aspects when it comes to having a true superstar.

They're breaking all the rules for Reigns in an effort to really put him over big.

Title change on Raw.
Vince on Raw.
HHH laid out and taken out on a stretcher.
Overcoming all the odds and multiple interferences.
No more long winded promos.
Apparently the thing that puts you over the top in WWE is getting kicked in the junk by Vince. That one moment did more than everything else they've tried in 8 months since Wrestlemania combined. Even if you dislike the guy, it's extremely hard to root against someone Vince kicked in the junk.

It's a shame the first many months of his title run are going to be Cena-style "CAN HE OVERCOME THE ODDS!?!" matches. A handicap match on every RAW and a gimmick match every PPV to Stack The Deck Against Him™. He fights the Authority, alone! It might work as long as they never let him touch a microphone ever again. He's at peak badassery right now! It's impossible to go any higher! Don't ruin it by letting him open his mouth again!

It took the whole McMahon to put one guy over, but they finally did it, in Philly.

Poor Sheamus.

I feel bad for Sheamus, not only because of the whole Reigns situation, but just because he gets shit on a lot even though he's an incredibly solid worker and he's decent enough on the mic, even more so over the past month or so.

Not saying he's the best on the roster or anything but he's perfectly serviceable as champion and that's more than I think Reigns will be.

Clearly I'm in the minority though.

WEE-OOO-WEE-OOO-WEE-OOO

Top Bottom